Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Just like clockwork, phillip morris is now stealth-advertising their Iqos device as the vape panic continues. They REALLY want to keep selling tobacco.

"heat sticks" lol

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/04/business/iqos-us-launch/index.html

Bullfrog fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Here's a question.

There is a product called pixotine, which are toothpicks that are coated in 3mg of nicotine per toothpick.

Is that a harmful product?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

When I was a teen in the late 2000s, smoking hookah was pretty much ubiquitous, especially among the stoner kids at my school.

I don't remember any hookah panic even though that was way worse for us. They might have just pressured 21+ hookah bars to shut down.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I was talking with my friend about the whole vaping thing and she mentioned that they actually advertise the Iqos in cigarette packages in Quebec. Jesus christ.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

What are people's thoughts on banning juice sale higher than ~20mg / ml? I'm seeing some vapers suggest that solution rather than ban flavors.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

One big issue is that the conception of "addiction" and "addict" have long been moral characterizations.

The phrase "addict logic" illustrates that clearly-- the "addict" is seen not as an adult making the same combination of rational and irrational decisions that all humans make, but as a defensive, morally weak person who is unable to know what's best for themselves.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

PT6A posted:

Also tobacco-flavoured vape juice tastes nothing like actually smoking tobacco, it's like inhaling the flavour of tobacco that's been soaking in a puddle for a while, and that's exactly as appealing as it sounds.

The ironic thing is that keeping tobacco out of flavor bans doesn't make any sense, because the "tobacco flavor" is produced with a combination of flavors that mimic it. So it's no different than the rest of the fruit flavors or whatever.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The thing to remember is that tobacco companies want to sell tobacco. That's why they're pushing the iqos, it still utilizes the tobacco plant. They have this huge, profitable infrastructure of subsidized farms that will be totally useless if everyone in the world who smoked cigarettes switched over to PG/VG vape juice systems. They aren't called "nicotine companies".

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I think the entrance of Altira into juul is a self-preservation tactic in the face of a vastly superior product, rather than part of their plan all along to keep people addicted to extremely harmful cigarettes.

There are still 34 million American smokers, while only 9 to 14 million americans vape. To call vaping an "epidemic" in the face of smoking numbers still that high reflect bad priorities.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

Another great example of why Juul is poo poo and why passing regulations that will give them all or most of the market is loving insane.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/10/lawsuit-juul-sold-tainted-e-liquids-to-users-drunk-and-vaping-like-mo-fos/

I really don't like juul, but I'm curious as to what "contaminated" means and how it affected the products. What were they contaminated with? Were they just expired? How did being expired affect the juice? etc.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

inkblottime posted:

It was more squared off and had a swivel trap door instead of an open hole. He'd put the pot in, drag on it, then knock it out once it was spent, yet it looked the same as when it went in. Smokeless pot pipe? Not sure what it would be called. I don't think it was very strong since he switched out to liquid vapor pot.

That sounds like the Magic Flight Launch Box. Great device.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I absolutely agree. Vaping 'flower' is much safer than THC concentrates, especially right now.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

This probably explains the last 8-10% of people who swear up and down they were using nicotine only vaping devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87dR5UEmRA

The CDC should be handing out free magic flight launch boxes to solve this crisis. Would help more than banning flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

edit: doublepost.