Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

Harm Reduction in practice

From what I've read in D&D there is a weird disconnect about harm reduction. If you have someone who is overweight or already to the point of being obese there are conditions that are going to arise from that that will need some type of treatment. This could be diabetes, high blood pressure, arthritis, etc. I don't think many people would suggest withholding treatment of any of these things even though we know obesity is caused, for the most part, by over eating and a lack of exercise. There are obviously extenuating circumstances involved sometimes. I would assume most people believe telling someone that is obese that they cannot have medication to control their blood pressure/diabetes because of potential adverse side effects would be considered malpractice.

We ask people to wear helmets when they ride a bike. We tell people to wear seat belts when they ride in a car or drive. We force car manufacturers to adhere to certain safety standards. I would think abstinence only education wouldn't be a thing in D&D but who knows. We give out condoms and try to educate people about safe sex because god knows people are going to do that whether we tell them to or not.

in my opinion harm reduction is clinically proven techniques which get people to stop smoking, and i see vaping as the same sort of stealth "safe smoking" nicotine delivery that big tobacco has been trying to push for decades. i absolutely do not trust companies which sell addictive substances to be concerned about the health of their customers beyond the extent necessary to ensure they are not killing or driving away new business

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/juul-big-tobacco-marketing/592174/

quote:

Out of a firestorm of controversy over teen nicotine use, Juul Labs emerged in January with a newly sober and adult marketing identity. Forget the fruit-flavored vaping pods, the colorful ads populated with young models, the viral Instagram and Facebook posts. What the Silicon Valley e-cigarette giant is really about, its $10 million television ad campaign declares, is helping cigarette smokers shake their cigarette addictions and get healthy.

The ads feature mature subjects with their ages clearly stated on screen: “Carolyn, 54,” “Patrick, 47,” “Mimi, 37.” They sit against muted domestic backdrops and say that because of Juul, they’ll never touch a cigarette again after decades of dependency. Juuling, they emphasize, is an “alternative” to smoking. Juul’s website underlines that message: “Our mission,” one page reads in bold white text, is to “improve the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating cigarettes.”

In its effort to define its products as a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, Juul appears to be following a familiar marketing cycle. Throughout the 20th century, as warnings about the health risks of cigarettes arose, tobacco companies repeatedly found new ways to downplay concerns and advertise their products as healthy options. When their claims were refuted by evidence, they traded them out for new claims.

of course, tobacco companies have been selling this line for decades

juul labs was specifically warned by the FDA to knock this poo poo off

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pre...-outreach-youth

quote:

“Regardless of where products like e-cigarettes fall on the continuum of tobacco product risk, the law is clear that, before marketing tobacco products for reduced risk, companies must demonstrate with scientific evidence that their specific product does in fact pose less risk or is less harmful. JUUL has ignored the law, and very concerningly, has made some of these statements in school to our nation’s youth,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless, M.D. “In addition, we’re troubled about several issues related to JUUL’s outreach and marketing practices that came to light in a recent Congressional hearing. We will continue to scrutinize tobacco product marketing and take action as appropriate to ensure that the public is not misled into believing a certain product has been proven less risky or less harmful. We remain committed to using all available tools to ensure that e-cigarettes and other tobacco products aren’t being marketed or sold to kids. We’ve also put the industry on notice: If the disturbing rise in youth e-cigarette use continues, especially through the use of flavors that appeal to kids, we’ll take even more aggressive action.”

same techniques, different company. your individual desire to defend large companies who sell addictive substances based on how marginally healthy those substances are for you is your choice, but to me it is obvious and blatant marketing to a willing, captive audience

full disclosure - i have been a smoker for 12+ years and smoke about a pack of cigs a week

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

You should read the studies that I posted from incredibly reputable organizations that explained what risk the products pose though since that does seem to be a concern of yours.

i read those the first time you posted those in another thread, and i think you have a habit of pointing at a collection of articles and saying "read these!" as if the evidence they contain is a trump to dismiss all arguments, or as if they were the final word on the subject

however, the part of my post you quoted is not about whether or not vaping is less harmful than smoking. the articles you invoke do not address this argument of mine. it is about my personal distrust of companies which sell addictive substances by trying to claim that their substance is less harmful than an alternative, which is something that nicotine peddlers have been falsely claiming for nearly a century

it simply does not make sense to me that any company would sell an addictive product with the end goal of having nobody using their addictive product anymore. it does make sense to me that a company would claim, without evidence, that their product is safer in an attempt to gain market share

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

At the very least, I would assume that everyone can at least agree that vaping shouldn't be made illegal as long as "regular" cigarettes are still legal.

the proposed flavored vape ban would mirror a 2009 act which banned flavored cigarettes in the united states (except menthol). there's no proposal to ban all vaping at the federal level, though some states are doing it (for bad reasons, in my opinion)

the reason they're going after flavoring in nicotine is that there is substantial evidence, both from the medical community and from internal market research by tobacco companies, that flavorings help draw in children and young adults who would otherwise be turned off by the harsher flavor of natural tobacco. the alcohol industry has also figured out this trick

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

In this case it's health organizations that have been sounding the alarm on tobacco for over half a century making the claim. The reason I keep bringing it up is that you keep dismissing it outright and saying it isn't relevant.

i said in very clear language that i am not making any claims about vaping being less harmful, or more harmful, or whatever than tobacco

i am saying that it should be obvious what the motivations are for a company that sells nicotine, about if they want people to use less nicotine, or more nicotine. we should be very skeptical about any claim from a nicotine-selling company regarding the benefits and usage frequency of their addictive product

you can keep trying to redirect my argument to the one you would prefer to rebut, but it's not going to work any of the times you try to do this

On Terra Firma posted:

There is also a lot of evidence to suggest one of the primary reasons adults switch to vaping is because of the flavors. There's a reason tobacco flavoring doesn't really sell all that well. Nobody wants it. Flavors are enticing for adults because it's a way to get nicotine without using something that tastes like poo poo. Talk to anyone who uses these devices and they'll tell you the same thing. If they're properly regulated like (sounding like a broken record here) in the UK this wouldn't really be an issue the way it is in the states.

i don't really care about adults who prefer to ingest nicotine with floral flavors. i am far more interested in preventing children from starting to use substances which cause a lifelong addiction. adults can deal with it

your assertion that "proper regulation" like in the UK would prevent the problems seen in the USA is flawed and unsupported, since there very likely cultural differences in nicotine consumption and how it is viewed in both nations. i agree that we do need stricter regulation in the USA, but part of the regulation in the UK includes limits on nicotine concentration in vape juice as well as notification of regulatory bodies for every product which can be sold, which seems like it would hurt the mom and pop vape shops used as a shield against burdensome regulaton

i also dislike this argument because it smacks too hard of nicotine sellers pointing their finger at big bad government and saying "why didn't they stop me from selling this addictive substance" then crying foul when regulation does come, saying actually we would prefer a different kind of regulation please. like we can constantly play this shell game about how the pending regulation is bad, and this other theoretical regulation is good, where the real objective is just to keep vaping in a legal grey market so people can continue to profit off the deregulated sale of addictive substances to addicts

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

there has been a concerted effort in the US to confuse people about whether tobacco or vaping is more harmful

to refocus on one single argument - who is doing this confusing, and why?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

I hope that answered your question.

it did, thanks!

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No one is going to argue that vaping isn't almost definitely safer than smoking, we're asking you to look at the entire rest of the role of nicotine in the world. And frankly they're just misusing harm reduction at this point as an excuse to sell more nicotine to people that they purposely got hooked on nicotine in the first place.

i'm kind of done with this thread after the op's "How bad is nicotine addiction, really?" post

On Terra Firma posted:

The main points here, at least to me, seem to be that ends are bad because they contain nicotine. It's the first headline and all subsequent points are about how nicotine leads to bad things.

Their goal is to reduce death and disease that's due to smoking and if you can do that without demonizing nicotine itself you can get more people on the bandwagon and keep the focus on the reduction on smoking.

like, this thread probably should be folded into TCC if we're not really supposed to challenge the idea of substance addiction being itself harmful, and we are instead supposed to discuss the safest ways to use addictive substances and cheerlead our preferable sectors of the nicotine industry

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Taphreek posted:

To me that is 95% of the beef that vape haters have with the whole thing. Nicotine bad, addictive substance bad they say...as they drink their coffee and sip their alcoholic beverages. It smacks of puritanism in a different guise.

who is defending alcohol itt

there's no reason to post in a thread about addictive substances with people who are addicted to those substances and are unwilling to discuss the possibility that addiction itself is not good

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 3, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

What I have said is that if people are addicted to something and can't/won't quit then they should probably switch to a much less harmful alternative.

there are actual, medically tested and proven nicotine cessation therapies out there with a decently high rate of effectiveness. you would prefer to talk about your chosen method of nicotine ingestion and use corporate messaging to draw false distinctions between the noble, innovative, mom and pop nicotine sellers who are totally not at all in the same business as the hated Big Tobacco

this is how addicts think about their chosen substance. it's not really something anyone can argue against since the addict has very real, personal, neurologically driven reasons to rationalize their substance use. i say this as a nicotine addict who would very much like to prevent kids from ever using the stuff to begin with. i simply do not think you can objectively consider arguments against your position itt :shrug:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

How credible and valid are the studies done by the UK government, and how relevant are they to the USA?

credible, but there are problems when you only cite the papers that support what you're trying to argue and ignore the ones that don't support your position. we don't know enough about them yet to say with certainty that they are good for smoking cessation or not, or if they are healthy or not. it's definitely good for sales to pretend that they are, though

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5480094

the important part is that there are medically tested and proven nicotine cessation therapies out there. and nicotine selling firms have a decades long history of claiming their product is healthier, in order to keep their captive market of addicts who would otherwise be motivated to quit because of health risks

Calibanibal posted:

I'm not really interested in nicotine policy in the UK. How are other countries dealing with vaping?

it's a mixed bag. most countries treat them similarly to traditional tobacco cigarettes, some countries have no special regulation at this time, though some countries like japan, brazil, and india (sort of) have banned them. regulations are all across the spectrum globally, because of the relative newness of the product and lack of information about the health impacts

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Entorwellian posted:

I had to go to the hospital for my asthma (viral bronchitis) and the doctors there were telling me about the staggering amount of people that are coming in for vaping-related shortness of breath and pneumonia in the last couple of months, nearly all of them young. They said they've never seen anything like it before in their time of working there. After reading a lot of literature and the results being all over the map, seeing the reports coming in and the lack of long term data over vaping, I believe it now that vaping is not as safe as others are claiming

all of this is probably because of some oddity in the DIY vape supply chain, which is why it's extra weird to pretend there's some distinction between the corner bob's budget vape shop and big tobacco, which is worse somehow because it doesn't respect vape culture (of ingesting unknown fluids into your lungs)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ah yes France, the country where a decade ago you could still legally smoke a cigarette on an elevator full of children.

if you have to choose, wouldn't you rather someone blow a banana scented propylene glycol cloud into your child's face?

On Terra Firma posted:

anti-vaping researchers

are these the same people who unfairly demonize nicotine addiction?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

They're the same types of people that falsified a report a few months back about people who vape having higher rates of heart attacks than those that don't. Once the actual data was released it was discovered that those who did the study took anyone who had a heart attack ever, including before using e-cigarettes, and attributed it to ENDS usage. Once you accounted for ENDS the rate of heart attacks following switching from smoking to vaping went down significantly. The data said the opposite of what the study said. That didn't stop them from promoting it far and wide. Are you alright with that?

The study I was citing was done to the point of the cotton wick being burned up in a way that would be unusable for anyone vaping on the device. When the experiment was repeated under normal conditions the levels of formaldehyde (What the original study turned up) was either not detected or was so low it was comparable to what we breath in an empty room.

are you seriously asking me to defend a paper i haven't read and which you didn't cite based on your addict's paraphrasing of why you don't like what it had to say

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

No I'm asking if you're alright with that type of behavior in the research because the way you posed it to me was that I was somehow dismissing all evidence that I didn't agree with.

yeah i've already directly said i don't find you credible itt, and i'd rather not keep repeating myself

this is a weird thing to ask of someone - "do you or do you not agree with my perspective on a paper that i have not posted, for you to read?" - and i shouldn't have to explain why that is a weird thing to ask

of the reasons you may be arguing like this, the most charitable reason i can think of is that you are trying to rationalize the continued use of a substance which is highly addictive

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

So you think my concern for hundreds of thousands in the US and millions worldwide dying needlessly is a front?

i think that you are discounting more effective solutions for the one which allows you to personally continue using a highly addictive substance. this is expected behavior for an addict

your concern for the health of others is likely sincere, but you are also willing to compromise on that concern for your own convenience

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

You keep saying "more effective" as if we don't have data on the effectiveness of ENDS as a mean to quitting.

we don't. the science is inconclusive. you have to pick out the studies that support what you would choose to believe while discarding or discrediting the others as being the work of moralizing anti-vapers

On Terra Firma posted:

If we have a weapon we can add to the arsenal to combat smoking I fail to see how this is anything but a good thing.

it is not a good thing if it is a "weapon" used to gain new markets for multinational firms that sell nicotine

On Terra Firma posted:

Me using or not using the product is irrelevant

people who are addicted to a substance have a very good and compelling reason to make faulty arguments in favor of the continued use of that substance

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

Maybe you should just admit you're making a moral prohibitionist argument instead of trying to pretend you're engaging in any kind of actual rationalism. It would go better for you, and we could all move on with our lives instead of have to deal with you "just asking questions" and arguing in bad faith.

i mostly just have problems with people blatantly repeating corporate marketing for addictive substances that pose real health risks to the public while framing their advocacy as being in favor of public health. that's the kind of thing that should be challenged, especially in a shill thread dedicated to that exact topic. you don't have to read my posts if you don't want to though, i can't help you if you have problems with my posts itt or in general - that is your responsibility to sort out

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

One the one hand you accuse On Terra Firma of being a corporate shill for big tobacco, but if you actually look at what big tobacco wants right now it's actually closer to your position. Big tobacco would very much like vaping to be more heavily regulated than cigarettes so they don't have to compete with it.

big tobacco killed the obama-era attempt to ban flavored vapes

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-10-01/vaping-flavors-obama-white-house-fda

quote:

If the FDA ban had gone through, the kid-friendly vaping liquids would have been pushed off store shelves.

Instead, over the course of 46 days, a deluge of more than 100 tobacco industry lobbyists and small business advocates met with White House officials as they weighed whether to include the ban as part of a new tobacco control rule.

The end result: Senior Obama administration officials nixed the ban and much of the evidence supporting it, according to documents reviewed by the Los Angeles Times.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also please compare these statements by the RJ Reynolds corporation with any of the arguments made by the OP and tell me where they differ

https://www.reynoldsamerican.com/Transforming-Tobacco/default.aspx

quote:

RAI and its subsidiaries are committed to reducing the death and disease caused by cigarettes. There has been a significant decline in the prevalence of cigarette smoking during the past 30 years, but the rate of decline has slowed. A substantial body of scientific research has shown that smokeless tobacco products present significantly less harm than cigarettes. Several of our operating companies are working to innovate and introduce new products that meet the expectations of adult smokers while offering the potential to reduce risk. In addition to smokeless products, we believe that other non-combustible smoke-free products, such as vapor products and other innovations, may reduce harm to smokers who switch to them. RAI’s U.S. operating companies have long been recognized as the innovation leaders in the tobacco industry. Emerging product categories that offer the potential to reduce tobacco harm allow us to be growth leaders in expanding markets that also offer potential for higher margins. That’s good for smokers, for our society and for the sustainability of RAI.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

This is a complete misread of what happened and what the article says. The primary concern at that time wasn't vaping itself, but the flavor ban.

that is... exactly what i said? :confused:

luxury handset posted:

big tobacco killed the obama-era attempt to ban flavored vapes

ErIog posted:

If big tobacco was so supportive of vaping then why did they spend a ton of money developing and marketing these products worldwide in that same time period instead of just making vape juice?

do i really have to explain why a company that wants to boost its profit margins would prefer to sell proprietary non-refillable products

is that where we are at now, in this thread

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

in response you posted an article about them opposing a flavored vape ban as evidence that they actually liked vaping

no i didn't :confused: i posted an article demonstrating big tobacco lobbying against regulation on vaping. you may be reading it differently but again, this is your problem, not mine

i guess i could see how it would be confusing if you believe big tobacco hates vaping so much that they release vape products and buy vape companies and lobby against regulation targeting vapes but that is not a very compelling or rational argument to make

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm not repeating corporate marketing. I'm repeating what the loving science and studies have said.

no, you are repeating corporate propaganda. here is what altria has to say, what part of this do you disagree with?

http://www.altria.com/harm-reduction/Supporting-Cessation/Pages/default.aspx

quote:

The Role of Nicotine​
Nicotine occurs naturally in tobacco plants. While nicotine is addictive, it's the exposure to smoke – not nicotine – that causes most tobacco-related disease. Smoke from the combustion of tobacco contains thousands of chemicals that cause the vast majority of harm from tobacco, including lung cancer, heart disease and emphysema. ​
Tobacco harm reduction is built on the idea that adult smokers who do not quit should be able to get nicotine from products that are less risky than combustible cigarettes.​
Many smokers find nicotine enjoyable, which is why reduced-risk products need to provide a satisfactory nicotine experience. We recognize that comprehensive regulation of tobacco products is necessary to bring these kinds of products to market and let adult smokers know about them.​
​​

​Federal Regulation​
In 2000, Altria became the first and only company in the industry to support FDA regulation of tobacco products. We saw this as an important step to providing accurate and scientifically-grounded communications about reduced risk products to smokers.​
Today, the FDA has regulatory authority over all tobacco products. And the FDA distinguishes between the harm associated with combustible versus non-combustible products.​
We fully support FDA's commitment to harm reduction and its commitment to "the proper development of products that can allow adults who still need or want to enjoy satisfying levels of nicotine to get it through products that don’t have all of the risks associated with the combustion of tobacco."​

if your statements itt are indistinguishable from the public statements of big tobacco companies, then why do you dislike being associated with these words which are identical to yours?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
here's what philip morris has to say

https://www.pmi.com/who-we-are/designing-a-smoke-free-future

quote:

How long will PMI be in the cigarette business?

We’ve built the world’s most successful cigarette company,
with the world’s most popular and iconic brands.

Now we’ve made a dramatic decision.
We will be far more than a leading cigarette company. We’re building PMI’s future on smoke-free products that are a much better choice than cigarette smoking.

Indeed, our vision – for all of us at PMI – is that these products will one day replace cigarettes.

Why are we doing this?

Because we should...
We understand the millions of men and women who smoke cigarettes. They are looking for less harmful, yet satisfying, alternatives to smoking. We will give them that choice.

We have a commitment to our employees and our shareholders. We will fulfill that commitment by pursuing this long-term vision for success.

Society expects us to act responsibly. And we are doing just that by designing a smoke-free future.

and because we now can.
Success in the cigarette business gives us the resources to pursue our ambitious vision.

Thanks to the imagination and perseverance of thousands of people at PMI, we have developed breakthrough products that are smoke-free and enjoyable.

And, we are selling them today. Millions have already given up smoking and switched to our new products, and this is just the beginning.

We’re investing to make these products the Philip Morris icons of the future.

A future PMI that’s known for replacing cigarettes with a portfolio of revolutionary products.
In changing times you can always choose to do nothing. Instead, we’ve set a new course for the company. We’ve chosen to do something really big.

if your arguments are identical to the largest tobacco companies in the world, then where is the distance between you and them? you can keep claiming that your arguments are different because big tobacco is bad and you are good, but the arguments do not differ in any way i can see. i have to assume that you are being dishonest with yourself

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

I dislike it because you are claiming I am shilling for a company and a section of the industry when I'm not.

i apologize if i read your arguments which are word for word the same arguments that big tobacco companies made and i draw a link between them. mea culpa

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

Juul and Altria are not going to fight the FDA on that

i'm confused about when you choose to trust the words of big tobacco or not. like i personally don't trust them when they make claims under pressure in a moment of bad press and PR crisis, especially when they have a shadow network of "grassroots" firms to do this lobbying on their behalf. but it seems you don't trust the companies when they make the same statements you make, using the same language and justification, which are different somehow for reasons so far unclear to me

if your arguments are derived from rational facts and logical science, is this true for the identical arguments made by big tobacco companies? if so, why is the FDA dragging their heels about permitting these devices to be sold as smoking cessation tools as claimed by both you and the largest tobacco companies?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

No one is saying that you are shilling, just that your words are indistinguishable from a shill

i am saying both. not that OP is actually accepting money from a tobacco company, but if they were they would not have to change their speech in any way. corporate market research is just that effective at persuasion. well, you do not have to do much to persuade a nicotine user to find positive things to say about continued nicotine use

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

Big tobacco hasn't really released vape products in a big way (or at least not as big as heat-not-burn).

ErIog posted:

Even if you're only talking about the situation as it stands today in 2019, a single tobacco company having a stake in a single vape company isn't an industry trend. The industry hasn't moved to vape products en masse.

yes, they have

https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php?title=E-cigarettes

quote:

Tobacco companies were relatively slow to enter the e-cigarette market, but soon made up for lost time using their size and financial firepower to take over a market that was reported by the Financial Times in June 2013 to be worth $3 billion globally. Historically, the market was highly fragmented and largely dominated by small players but large manufacturers are increasingly entering the market with their own products and are also buying already established brands. Tobacco companies already have established distribution points and the resources to cover the costs of marketing and the demands that will likely come with future regulation.[1]

The year 2013 saw a flurry of tobacco company investment in e-cigarettes, both in the UK and in the US. This trend continued into 2014, 2015 and 2016. For a diagrammatic representation of the tobacco industry’s entry into the e-cigarette market see Figure 1 below.

BAT launched Vype in August 2013, an e-cigarette developed by CN Creative, a start-up acquired by BAT in December 2012.[2] In February 2014, BAT announced its Vype e-cigarettes would be sold nationwide at LloydsPharmacy stores.[3] In September 2014, BAT was granted a license by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) for Voke, a nicotine inhaler developed by a company called Kind Consumer Limited, a subsequent license was granted in 2016 for a product called e-voke which is rechargable and uses nicotine cartridges. As of April 2016 neither of these products were available to buy. In 2015, BAT launched Vype in France, Germany, Italy, Poland and Colombia and acquired Ten Motives e-cigarette brand in the UK and CHIC the market-leading e-cigarette business in Poland.[4] In 2015 the company also launched its first heated tobacco product glo iFuse in Romania.[3]

Lorillard, the third largest cigarette manufacturer in the US, acquired the e-cigarette company BluCigs for a reported $135 million in 2012,[5] and entered the UK market by taking over Skycig, a leading premium brand of electronic cigarettes in Britain, for $48.5 million.[6] In March 2014, it was announced that, in line with its American brand, Skycig would become Blu ecigs effective May 2014. The rebranding was backed with a £20 million marketing campaign.[7] When Reynolds acquired Lorillard for an estimated $27.4 billion on July 15 2014, its Blu line was sold to Imperial Tobacco to avoid antitrust concerns that allowing Reynolds to own both Vuse and Blu would give it an unfair advantage in the market.[8]

Japan Tobacco International (JTI) acquired UK e-cigarette brand E-lites in June 2014 from previous owner Zandera.[9] The company took a minority share in the San Francisco-based startup Ploom in 2011, signing an agreement to commercialise its nicotine ‘vaporisers’ outside the USA. The Ploom is a loose-leaf vaporizer that heats small pods of tobacco, unlike most e-cigarettes that use liquid mixtures of nicotine and synthetic materials.[10] In February 2015, JTI acquired the patents and trademarks from Ploom Inc. With this acquisition the company can develop new products and sell Ploom in more markets.[11]

Imperial Tobacco's member company Fontem Ventures acquired Dragonite in August 2013, previously owned by Hon Lik, the Chinese pharmacist who claims he invented the e-cigarette. In early 2014, Imperial presented its own e-cigarette called Puritane and announced an exclusive deal with the Boots pharmacy chain to sell the new brand.[12] In July 2014, as part of the merger between Reynolds and Lorillard, Imperial purchased the Blu e-cigs line.[13] When speaking of the company's new acquisition, Alison Cooper, Imperial Tobacco’s chief executive said, "This is a great opportunity to transform our U.S. business and secure a significant presence in the world’s largest accessible profit pool." In February 2015, Imperial announced the launch of Jai its new e-cigarette in both France and Italy.[14]

Philip Morris International (PMI) announced in December 2013 that it was teaming up with Altria to market electronic cigarettes and other "reduced risk" tobacco products. PMI gained the right to exclusively sell Altria's e-cigarettes outside the United States. On 26 June 2014, PMI announced that it had acquired UK-based Nicocigs, the owner of the Nicolites brand, saying it would provide the company “an immediate entry into the UK” and will “pave the way” for faster and broader UK market entry for their other e-cigarette products.[15][16]

Altria, which includes Philip Morris USA and controls about one half of all cartons sold in America, is testing its e-cigarette “MarkTen” in Indiana and Arizona. The plan was to bring an e-cigarette to the market mid-2013,[17] but feedback has been mixed. One industry analyst wrote, “MarkTen products did not start moving until Altria blast e-mailed Indiana smokers with a $2 MarkTen coupon.” The national roll-out occurred in 2014.
RJ Reynolds American was reported to be test marketing an e-cigarette called “Vuse” through its subsidiary RJ Reynolds Vapor Company in April 2013.[18] Vuse is now available for purchase in the US. [19]

this is where you are supposed to pivot and move the goalposts to "these products weren't successful anyway"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ErIog posted:

I guess you're going to say it doesn't matter, it's all the same grand conspiracy.

there is no conspiracy, you are simply factually incorrect

ErIog posted:

You appear to support banning vaping because you think it's the same as smoking or heat-not-burn, and that's extremely short-sighted. Using the current hysteria

i haven't supported banning vaping at all? i've only consistenly pointed out the uniform similarity between pro-vape arguments itt and the pro-vape arguments made by giant tobacco companies. this makes the people advocating those arguments itt highly uncomfortable and prone to lashing out with accusations of moral panic or galloping into irrelevant detail about the noble history of the vape industry, for reasons which should be obvious

i have also pointed out the links between personal nicotine usage and shoddy argumentation itt, which should also be obvious

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

Weird how you talk about moving the goal posts but won't address the point that the science says the same thing. That's always conveniently left out in your insinuations.

If it was just RJ Reynolds saying this stuff I would worry. When it's the Royal College of Physicians then I'm a lot more confident in my position. It also happens to be a fact that you repeatedly gloss over and pretend doesn't exist for some reason.

Once again, please show the fault in the data and the organizations who put out the reviews and studies. If you cannot do this then shut the gently caress up about who is parroting what talking points.

luxury handset posted:

there are problems when you only cite the papers that support what you're trying to argue and ignore the ones that don't support your position. we don't know enough about them yet to say with certainty that they are good for smoking cessation or not, or if they are healthy or not. it's definitely good for sales to pretend that they are, though

the important part is that there are medically tested and proven nicotine cessation therapies out there. and nicotine selling firms have a decades long history of claiming their product is healthier, in order to keep their captive market of addicts who would otherwise be motivated to quit because of health risks

On Terra Firma posted:

What you posted also reinforces what have I said all along, and also glosses over what big tobaccos market share was prior to late 2018. They weren't moving units until Altria bought into Juul. Prior to that they couldn't get a foot hold. Most users were very averse to trying or using anything they made for obvious reasons. You have repeatedly claimed that vaping is something being driven by big tobacco which is, to use your own words, factually incorrect. When confronted by this you say it doesn't matter and everyone selling nicotine is just the same.

luxury handset posted:

https://www.tobaccotactics.org/index.php?title=E-cigarettes

this is where you are supposed to pivot and move the goalposts to "these products weren't successful anyway"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

So your position is that all of those health organizations went into their reviews with bias and selected hundreds of studies that pointed in one direction to establish a basis for public health policy? Including a study that went out and took direct measurements of carcinogens from users? That's what you're going with? How is your position any different from climate change denial?

luxury handset posted:

but there are problems when you only cite the papers that support what you're trying to argue and ignore the ones that don't support your position. we don't know enough about them yet to say with certainty that they are good for smoking cessation or not, or if they are healthy or not. it's definitely good for sales to pretend that they are, though

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

Yeah that's what I thought. You have no argument. You can't address it. Thanks!

luxury handset posted:

i said in very clear language that i am not making any claims about vaping being less harmful, or more harmful, or whatever than tobacco

i am saying that it should be obvious what the motivations are for a company that sells nicotine, about if they want people to use less nicotine, or more nicotine. we should be very skeptical about any claim from a nicotine-selling company regarding the benefits and usage frequency of their addictive product

you can keep trying to redirect my argument to the one you would prefer to rebut, but it's not going to work any of the times you try to do this

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

Just so it's clear what I'm referring to. You claimed I was parroting/mirroring tobacco talking points. I said no and directed you to the evidence reviews.

luxury handset posted:

i apologize if i read your arguments which are word for word the same arguments that big tobacco companies made and i draw a link between them. mea culpa

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

So the evidence reviews by PHE and the RCP are big tobacco talking points now?

luxury handset posted:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Knifefan posted:

Prohibiting flavored vape products and heavily restricting sales makes smoking tobacco more appealing. Also, describing high schoolers who vape(largely in the 16-18 age cohort) as "literal children" completely robs them of their agency. We have seen this age cohort become leaders on social issues like global warming and gun control and we trust them to operate motor vehicles and be employed. They do not need to be protected from nicotine which, absent disastrous public policy proposals, has a safety profile similar to other mild-moderate stimulants.

ephebophilia, but from the perspective of a nicotine marketer

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what motivation does the FDA have to mislead the public about the dangers of nicotine?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

A lot of people believe most of the harm from smoking actually comes from nicotine, and public health in America doesn't seem motivated to make a distinction between the two.

this is from the FDA website

quote:

Most people know that cigarettes and other tobacco products are addictive, but many people do not understand the role of nicotine in tobacco addiction, disease, and death. Nicotine is what addicts and keeps people using tobacco products, but it is not what makes tobacco use so deadly. Tobacco and tobacco smoke contain thousands of chemicals. It is this mix of chemicals—not nicotine—that causes serious disease and death in tobacco users, including fatal lung diseases, like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cancer.

and regarding this

On Terra Firma posted:

There are forms of nicotine that are vastly less harmful than cigarettes and not making a distinction between those and cigarettes is dangerous and misleading. The public should be made aware that there are safer options than smoking and if they are unable or unwilling to give up nicotine there should be an effort to guide people to those less harmful alternatives.

quote:

Nicotine Replacement Therapies: Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) poses the lowest risk to health among all nicotine-containing products, and thus falls on the opposite end of the nicotine-delivery risk spectrum, whereas cigarettes are the most harmful. FDA-approved NRTs are designed to reduce symptoms of nicotine withdrawal and help adults quit smoking by delivering small amounts of nicotine to the brain without the toxic chemicals present in cigarette smoke. If used properly, NRTs are safe and effective cessation methods and can double an addicted smoker’s chances of successfully quitting cigarettes.11 NRTs are available both by prescription in the form of oral inhaler and nasal spray, and over-the-counter for adults age 18 and over as skin patches, lozenges, and gum.

The NRTs currently on the market are so safe that multiple types may be used together,12 and may even be started before a smoker actually quits.13 Both of these methods may increase the likelihood of cessation. But most NRTs have been on the market for over 20 years, and even with the use of these products, many smokers who try to quit are unsuccessful and require several attempts.

When FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb announced the agency’s comprehensive plan for nicotine and tobacco regulation in 2017, he made research of novel and effective therapeutic nicotine products for tobacco cessation a top priority. FDA’s Nicotine Steering Committee was formed and is tasked with evaluating safety and efficacy of therapeutic nicotine products and ensuring the agency’s policies enable the development of innovative products intended to help addicted adult smokers quit combustible tobacco use for good.

i don't want to sound too confrontational or kick this thread up into a slapfight again, but all of your arguments use addict logic. your primary motivation in this thread seems to be trying to assert that nicotine is unfairly maligned which is... not a popular argument

if you're wondering why this thread seems to be low traffic, i suspect that it is because trying to argue with an addict who is busy rationalizing their addiction is something many adults have done in their lives and choose not to engage with if they can avoid it

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 23, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

If you don't want to be confrontational then don't be a dick. You keep asserting that the point of this thread is to justify addiction when it isn't. My primary concern is that people like you simply dismiss all of this information because of your hatred of people addicted to nicotine.

again, i just want to emphasize i'm not calling you an addict as a way to minimize your arguments or to indicate you have bad morals or something. i am also addicted to nicotine right now. you reflexively retreat to "moral panic" or "you hate drugs" but i promise this argument is very weak and not applicable

i am only saying it because i perceive a bias about what topics you are willing to consider in this thread, the way you argue about those topics, the way in which you selectively use studies which support your point as an authority while dismissing studies that don't agree with you, and your use of some baffling takes like "is nicotine addiction really that bad for your health anyway" and "how concerned should we really be about teenage drug use"

you made an assertion about the FDA which seemed weird to me, i posted what the FDA had to say on their website, you backpedaled again and reframed your argument from "the FDA doesn't distinguish between nicotine and tobacco" to "the FDA doesn't agree with me about ENDS" which is... exactly what someone addicted to ENDS nicotine use in an advocacy thread would say

it indicates a level of firmness in your stance on the issue which is unlikely to lead to any productive conversation, and the thread takes on the tone more of an intervention than a debate. you're not really willing to consider alternative perspectives, you just want people to agree with you about vaping. that's what TCC is for in my opinion

On Terra Firma posted:

If you want to jump in and justify your dislike or borderline hatred of people who use nicotine feel free, but you look like an uninformed rear end in a top hat in the process.

ok :shrug: i've said i use nicotine in this thread so, this is just part of a pattern of you reorganizing reality to confirm your biases. this is how an addict thinks, my man

what i find odd is that on the one hand you will say things like "is it really a big deal if people are addicted to nicotine" and then get all huffy when i point out you are a nicotine addict and how this may influence the way you think. is nicotine addiction bad, or is it not?

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 23, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

On Terra Firma posted:

I think if you are using nicotine in a product with minimal risk it's not that big of a deal. As PHE and other health organizations have stated on its own the addictive potential is lower than in cigarettes and the effects are similar to caffeine. Maybe you take issue with that assessment or hell maybe you don't. Claiming that I hold my views simply because I use nicotine is dismissive and insulting especially when I've provided so much information to back up and substantiate my positions.

you haven't really, but i can't assert my perspective into your reality, so all i can do is point out why i personally believe your argumentation itt tacks the way it does and leave it at that. the best and most medically sound advice here is to quit using nicotine entirely using empirically tested NRT products, but your lower threshold seems to be continued use of nicotine delivery products while advocating perpetual nicotine use. hence why i say you argue like someone who is more interested in rationalizing the use of an addictive substance, which is very odd when couched as a public health position

when you get to the point that you're vaguely questioning the motivations of the FDA for not agreeing with you about your preferred substance use then it should be clear where the limits of your perception are. and we have a word for people who are unwilling to consider the benefits of total abstinence from substance use

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 23, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

There's kind of a fine line here where what you're describing as "addict logic" can be used as an argument against all harm reduction measures. Like, someone could also point to someone arguing in favor of suboxone and be like "this is addict logic of someone trying to defend their continued use of the drug."

suboxone is a recognized treatment used for opiate addiciton though

vapes are not a recognized treatment for nicotine addiction nor is it demonstrated yet that they are safer than tobacco, yet a tremendous amount of the OP's arguments in this thread revolve around cherry picking studies to assert this argument and minimizing the portion of the public health apparatus which does not endorse OP's preferred method of nicotine use, like so:

On Terra Firma posted:

I don't know why you would fully trust them when they have been loudly touting exaggerated numbers about teen use, have approved new tobacco products for market that are way less safe than vaping in clinical trials (IQOS), and sat on their hands while people died or fell ill due to black market THC products.

OP is committed to their perspective and there's really only very few reasons for this level of stubbornness. given we are talking about one of the most addictive substances on the planet... it just seems obvious to me what's going on here

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

inkblottime posted:

Funny how big tobacco and "public health" are suddenly on the same side with the same agenda. And yet, no one really cares about that.

maybe they aren't really on the same side at all, and this is something which is easy to think because big tobacco and big government are both very big and distant and different from us. us being the hobbyists, the plucky independents, the little old homespun vape enthusiasts who are in no way in perfect alignment with tobacco companies about how to best expand the nicotine market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

inkblottime posted:

Don't be condescending to me just because you disagree.

it's odder to think that big government and big tobacco have more in common than big tobacco and little tobacco. to think that there is a distinction in companies which peddle nicotine, you have to create an artifical cultural disconnect between the big, bad conglomerates and the small, good mom and pops which is definitely convenient for nicotine marketing purposes

then again literal big tobacco propaganda is being repeated itt as if it were some noble fight for individual consumer rights (remember: capitalism can subsume all criticism within itself) and it's still an open question in this thread about if the regular consumption of addictive substances among kids is bad or not

Solenna posted:

So I don't smoke or vape and I feel like the answer should be obvious but I can't figure it out. If you ban flavoured vape juice and people are left with vapes that taste like tobacco and are kind of bad for you and cigarettes that taste like tobacco and are super bad for you why would you go back to smoking?

ostensibly you wouldn't but folks like to threaten that they would in order to clamp down on positive public health moves. see, this thread is about public health, until it is suddenly about personal liberty. turns out addicts really don't like having their motivations challenged and don't always respond in a consistent way