Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taphreek
Jul 18, 2001
RACIST
I would love for the vape haters in this thread to post evidence that NICOTINE!!!! in the absence of combusted tobacco/carcinogens/etc is anywhere near as harmful as they are trying to make it seem. Unless you are a pregnant woman or have cardiovascular disease the health effects from nicotine are minimal. Transient blood pressure elevations on the level of lifting heavy weights are not going to put you in your grave. Some evidence supporting the nicotine demonization in this thread would be appreciated.

To me that is 95% of the beef that vape haters have with the whole thing. Nicotine bad, addictive substance bad they say...as they drink their coffee and sip their alcoholic beverages. It smacks of puritanism in a different guise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taphreek
Jul 18, 2001
RACIST

luxury handset posted:

i'm kind of done with this thread after the op's "How bad is nicotine addiction, really?" post

Fair enough, alcohol is a different entity, but the point is that many of the same people who attack vaping or nicotine are themselves users of socially sanctioned substances, which, when used appropriately, have little objective harm.

To play Devil's Advocate- why is that per se a bad thing? If you are "addicted" to a minimally (or non) harmful, non socially disruptive, substance/activity/thing, what is the objective harm beyond saying, "people do that thing a lot. that is bad."?

Addiction implies a level of abuse or disruption of normal social behavior and achievement. I fail to see how some segment of society vaping or drinking coffee habitually without any other harm is a social ill. When you strip the argument down to it's core it very much seems to be driven mainly by sentiments of "I personally don't like that thing...it should be regulated/restricted/banned". I'm genuinely interested to hear your reasoning for why you disagree.