Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

On Terra Firma posted:

Also holy gently caress what:

Not trying to engage in whataboutism, but these numbers are terrifying.

either there's a massive epidemic where one kid in fifteen attempts suicide every year and most are really bad at it, or kids lie on surveys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

92-95% of suicides are unsuccessful, so yeah, that's believable. It's part of the reason why gun access impacts suicide rates so heavily: gun attempts are much, much more likely to be successful.

Without some other sources I don't really believe the 1:15 hs kids attempts suicide per year stat. If that can be well sourced and supported, facts sway me, but that sounds insanely high. I am not saying I knew about every suicide attempt that happened while I was in HS, obviously I didn't, but it was like... one in four years for a school with a population of several hundred. I doubt if this has gone up by 20x in the last 20 years?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

They're still doing that. I read a study yesterday about finding metals in vapor that I dug into. They were using an MVP 2 with an ego tank (Which is god knows how many generations of tech behind where we are now) as well as a more recent mod with an RDA. They were setting the mods at 5 volts and taking 4 second draws or more. If you took a 4 second draw on an RDA at 5 volts your lips would be scorched off your face and you would have burns down your tongue and throat. You wouldn't even be able to inhale! They discussed how more metals appeared at 600 c and how that's something researchers need to watch out for.

That's like conducting vehicle safety tests at 300mph instead of 55-65 or whatever speed they use normally and presenting that as real world use. It's loving insane.

one the one hand, sure, sounds like a poo poo study.

on the other hand, there are hundreds if not thousands of different vaping devices on the market, most of them are being manufactured in china, most of them are extremely inexpensive, and I'd be frankly shocked if some of them didn't expose you to heavy metals as a result of routine use.

the stuff you're citing might look like junk science, but it's a hell of a lot more rigorous and thoughtful than anything the manufacturers of this bullshit are doing. I use a Yocan when I'm on the go because I am too old/reasonable to carry an acetylene rig around and use it in a moving car like some people I know, and I sort of figure the plant material I'm not burning as a result of vaping my own cannabis oil, makes up for some amount of bullshit I might be getting from the device, but I wonder about it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Bullfrog posted:

I absolutely agree. Vaping 'flower' is much safer than THC concentrates, especially right now.

This 100% depends on the source of your flower and the source and nature of your concentrates.

I wouldn't touch anything in a 510g cartridge right now.

I'd be pretty shocked if Washington, Colorado and California pure-concentrate slab products (shatter/rosin) are anything to worry about because of the extremely rigorous lab testing being conducted in those places, and the fundamentally simple nature of doing solvent-based extracts, vacuum purging them and then GC/MS. I'd be surprised if black market shatter has anything worse in it than potential unpurged petrochemical remnants that have always been a risk with black market BHO.

I exclusively use concentrate, but I grow my own weed using only organic materials, and then turn it into shatter using a medical freezer full of food-grade 200-proof ethanol and a food-grade closed loop system that governs out at 105F. Ergo, I trust my own concentrate a hell of a lot more than some random bag of flower someone might toss me.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Dry herb vaporization is the most lung friendly method. Pax makes a great producy witu very low temps compared to Joints. Like a 700 degree temperature difference. Most of a joint is wasted by the fire.

Anecdotally I disagree; vaping flower (regardless of device, volcano, MFLB, genie, whatever) always makes my throat kind of dry and parched, and I have to vape a lot more flower to get the desired effect, than if it is concentrated into shatter and vaped off quartz at ~550F and then double filtered. There can be some small irritation with that, too, but one banger rip is the equivalent of a full bag plus off the volcano, if your source material is 70% or whatever.

On Terra Firma posted:

If the study used them in a way that was similar to real world use I wouldn't take issue with it. The problem is they don't and then study is cited in some news report about how everyone is breathing in lead all day or whatever.

I don't disagree, but, I am just profoundly disinterested in using devices that have lead or heavy metals in them period. I realize this is, at least at present, a necessary evil for battery-powered on-the-go devices, but, if you stick to vaping pure cannabis oils off of glass you eliminate a whole hell of a lot of uncertainties. I do own a Yocan, it's convenient and I like it on the go, but there's mild anxiety about it.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 4, 2019

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I don't really know what happened over the last couple pages, but it seems pretty obvious that you can adulterate nic vape carts with vitamin E acetate, also seems painfully obvious that Juul doesn't give a gently caress about user safety, also seems painfully obvious that there are any number of counterfeit Juul or other nic pods out there which may share production lines with other black market products...

...I think it's really dubious to be making any sweeping claims about what is or isn't possible, or what is or isn't happening. Certainly the majority of cases appear to relate to THC carts, but when you have six of 27 lung fluid samples with no THC, and 3000 cases with 20% of them claiming no THC use... could all those people be lying? Sure. Do I think that's likely? No. Do we have the data to definitively argue it one way or another? Definitely not.

I'd be happy to make some retail-looking vape carts with nicotine and vit E acetate in it, but I'm not sure what that would prove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

vincentpricesboner posted:

Have you considered that even the few people who hypothetically are being honest about not using THC carts, may have been using lovely black market CBD carts?

I'll consider just about anything hypothetically, without any consideration as to how likely they are, lacking data

On Terra Firma posted:

Neither am I. I also don't go out of my way to be a massive dick to everyone who disagrees with that though.

[citations needed]

quote:

So the question I have is why after all this time and all this evidence pouring in from multiple states has the CDC still not fully clarified what products are riskiest? Just a few days ago they will still categorizing this as an e-cigarette (nicotine) epidemic when that is categorically false.

A Trump-Era government agency has been unable to rapidly GC/MS all of the tens of thousands of products on the market, including a large number of generic-packaging things which look the same but may have entirely different contents? Shocking.

Again, I'm not saying there's vit e in vape juice. I am saying that at this point we have no definitive evidence this has happened -- but we also don't know definitively that vit e is the singular cause of the issues we're seeing. There are way too many unknowns.

People are free to continue to use whatever cheap vape juice your bodega has, I don't care, but I won't touch anything besides tobacco and home made cannabis products for some period of time. My tobacco use is a pipe every 2 weeks, so, not very worried.