Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like, ideally, harm reduction measures like vaping should be easily available in a medical context, but I'm not sure how willing people would be to seek that option out as opposed to "illicit street vaping" (in a context where it was made illegal to commercially sell). Sort of like suboxone/methadone for opiate addicts, but ideally it should be easier (and cheaper) than it currently is to get on the drug in question. I'm coming from a somewhat biased perspective as an opiate addict on suboxone maintenance, though, and nicotine addiction is a bit of a different situation where there isn't the same risk of overdosing.

At the very least, I would assume that everyone can at least agree that vaping shouldn't be made illegal as long as "regular" cigarettes are still legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

That was exactly my point. They are not intended to be a tool for quitting. Which is a thing terra has insisted multiple times now.

I think the question is whether quitting is realistically possible for the vast majority of nicotine users (I don't know the answer to this). If there exist a subset of people for whom quitting isn't realistic, then it makes sense to have a less harmful alternative for harm reduction purposes.

I'm only familiar with the context of opiate addiction, though, which is a bit different. Obviously in the case of opiate addiction quitting is often not feasible. If quitting nicotine is realistically doable in all - or the vast majority of - cases, then it might make more sense to take the "ban both cigarettes and vaping and only allow quitting tools" position.

It seems to me like the best option would be something along the lines of "both cigarettes and vaping no longer commercially sold, but vaping easily available by medical prescription." But as long as cigarettes exist, having vaping be commercially available seems like an important harm reduction measure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

luxury handset posted:

i don't want to sound too confrontational or kick this thread up into a slapfight again, but all of your arguments use addict logic. your primary motivation in this thread seems to be trying to assert that nicotine is unfairly maligned which is... not a popular argument

if you're wondering why this thread seems to be low traffic, i suspect that it is because trying to argue with an addict who is busy rationalizing their addiction is something many adults have done in their lives and choose not to engage with if they can avoid it

There's kind of a fine line here where what you're describing as "addict logic" can be used as an argument against all harm reduction measures. Like, someone could also point to someone arguing in favor of suboxone and be like "this is addict logic of someone trying to defend their continued use of the drug."

There's also the inverse of "addict logic," which is the "recovered addict who is convinced that their experience with recovery is universally applicable."