Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Apparently e-cigarettes are worse for your heart than traditional cigarettes.

Er, wait, apparently they're better for your heart than traditional cigarettes.

Both of those studies are reputable as far as I can tell, but this kinda illustrates the problem with this debate. There are single studies out there that support the claim that vaping is significantly safer than smoking, and an effective means of harm reduction, and there are single studies out there that say the opposite. A single study doesn't really prove that much though, and the most epistemically responsible thing to do would be to wait until we have high quality meta-studies/literature reviews. But it'll be years if not decades before we can expect definitive conclusions from those, so everyone cherry picks the evidence they want and takes it to be far stronger than it is.

For the record I used ecigs to quit traditional cigs around 7 years ago and even if they were *just as bad for you* as traditional cigs, I'd probably still vape, as it is overall a far more pleasant experience. I think part of the reason why so many people who switch from smoking to vaping are so adamant about vaping is that it feels, at a physical level, as though there's no loving way it could be as bad as smoking. I don't wake up coughing, I can run up a flight of stairs without wheezing, and there's a visible difference in the amount of gunk in my lungs based on an xray from last year vs 8 years ago. Those are real tangible benefits and it's kind of a dick move to say poo poo like

luxury handset posted:

no thanks, i'm not in denial about my relationship with nicotine or the tobacco industry

I don't know whether vaping is safer than smoking, or, if so, by how much, but not everyone who had the realization "hey I can walk up a flight of stairs without passing out" is a shill for big tobacco. (I mean gently caress I don't even support big tobacco, I make my own juice from nicotine that's made by a European pharmaceutical company that isn't owned by any large tobacco corporation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

That would be helpful and I'd appreciate it.

Honestly I'm kind of frustrated by both sides of this debate. For every luxury handset who's dogmatically opposed to vaping you have some idiot on the ecig reddit who thinks vaping pure diacetyl is harmless. One of the hopes I had when vaping first started becoming a thing a decade ago was that there would be a bunch of research into how to make it as safe as possible. An 'analog' cigarette is pretty much fixed in how much harm it's going to cause you, but it stands to reason there are more or less harmful options when it comes to vaping (in terms of ingredients in the juice, coil material, wick material, temperature, etc). I'd really like to suck on robot dicks in a way that is least likely to gently caress with my health, but there's just not a lot of reliable information on how to do that, which sucks.

I'm drat sure some of these flavor compounds are bad for me. I mean I only buy flavors for my DIY stuff that are made by reputable companies and I avoid anything that's been flagged as containing a potentially harmful ingredient, but I'm not so naive as to think that we've discovered every compound that might be harmful (and of course some might be more or less harmful at certain temperatures etc).

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

WrenP-Complete posted:

I wonder if the e-cigarette users in the United States (the first study) were using a greater variety of e-cigarettes and getting different ingredients in their lungs.

Thanks for the analysis, it is appreciated.

Dunno if you're aware of this, but in Europe there's a hard limit on the nicotine content of e-juice whereas here, there is not. Juul and other pods sold in the US use a high concentration of "nicotine salt" (I'm not a scientist but iirc Juul specifically developed a chemical variant of nicotine that's more bioavailable more quickly). I hate that poo poo and it gives me a headache, but more to the point, Juul is a shady corporation and nicotine salt probably shouldn't exist. It wouldn't surprise me to find more dramatic health effects related to nicotine in a country where the nicotine content is pretty much unregulated.

I thiiiink you can buy nic salt liquid that's around 50mg/ml, which is 5%, which is nuuuuts. To put that in perspective, I mix juice with 100mg/ml to dilute down to 6mg/ml, and I wear a lab apron/gloves/goggles when I'm handling the 10% poo poo. I'm honestly surprised some kid hasn't died from licking a cracked Juul pod somewhere.