Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Solenna posted:

So I don't smoke or vape and I feel like the answer should be obvious but I can't figure it out. If you ban flavoured vape juice and people are left with vapes that taste like tobacco and are kind of bad for you and cigarettes that taste like tobacco and are super bad for you why would you go back to smoking?

Ultimately, I can't explain why I want to smoke a cigarette more than I would just like nicotine in some other form; I just do. It's subjective. Vaping is much closer to smoking in terms of being satisfying for me, compared to other forms of nicotine, but it's still shittier enough that I'd rather deal with full satisfaction and full harm.

Also tobacco-flavoured vape juice tastes nothing like actually smoking tobacco, it's like inhaling the flavour of tobacco that's been soaking in a puddle for a while, and that's exactly as appealing as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Whatever happened to snus as a form of tobacco harm reduction? I feel that was strongly promoted a while back, and then a bunch of people freaked out about it, and then we stopped hearing about it altogether.

It's probably still a bit poo poo for you, but we know it doesn't cause lung disease at least.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

FDA just approved snus as a modified risk product so that seems to be a thing making progress in the US. Still banned throughout most of Europe for no reason though.

In other news Juul might be getting hosed by the FTC in which case good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/31/altria-confirms-ftc-probe-of-juul-as-agency-scrutinizes-executive-shakeup.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

I checked at a local tobacco store (Canada), and apparently General is being discontinued here probably due to the new plain packaging laws and some sense of spite, but they have tobacco-free snus which is just plant fibre sprayed with nicotine and flavour, and it's both available and not taxed as tobacco, so that's pretty good. In terms of a reduced-risk option, that's probably as decent a method of nicotine delivery as you'll get.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Inasmuch as the present and future of nicotine vaping seems to depend largely on safety issues which appear mostly or entirely related to THC vaping, I don't think you can say discussion of THC vaping should be off-limits in this thread. That being said, maybe it should be kept to more generalities about THC vaping and less about "hey guys this is how I get high."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The discussion about flavour bans and the increase in vaping versus tobacco, etc., all seems to miss a fundamental truth: people like nicotine. Nicotine is pleasant when you're not addicted to it yet, and it's still decent when you are addicted to it even if a lot of that is due to being addicted to it. If they ban whatever the most popular flavour is, people will pick something else, because shockingly, the nicotine is the crucial bit. Not having flavours may discourage some people from starting, but probably not as many as anyone hopes.

They should make more modified-risk nicotine products that aren't just sold as a means to quit smoking, like these tobacco-free snus pouches you can find now. It's just flavouring and nicotine, no inhalation to gently caress with your lungs. Because, speaking as a nicotine user/addict, I don't really want to quit nicotine entirely, any more than I want to quit consuming caffeine. And it shouldn't be sold as a product only for adult smokers or as a smoking cessation tool. I mean, in a sense it's objectively pretty goddamn stupid to start using nicotine in any form, but people have made that stupid choice for generations and it doesn't seem like we're any closer to stopping them from doing it, so at least get them started using a least-harm product.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 6, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Already been over how it has lower potential for addiction in vaping and users can adjust the amount of nicotine they can consume in their liquids. Good thing people have options!

Objectively, yes. Subjectively, vaping is a lot easier to do on-demand and to whatever amount, so I don’t think the use patterns are the same and we need to look at how that affects addictive potential. My own experience is that my anxiety about running low on vape liquid or battery, or leaving my vape at home, was higher than with either cigarettes or snus.

Like many aspects of vaping I think this should be considered an open research question, rather than basing conclusions on “common sense” or whatever. That doesn’t mean we need to do immediate bans or anything, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Juul has pulled the mint flavour.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2019/11/07/juul-kills-popular-mint-pod-flavor-in-latest-setback/amp/

At the risk of asking an obvious question: why wouldn’t people just switch to non-Juul vapes and the huge assortment of flavours available for them?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm honestly curious why lovely THC carts are a US-only problem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Blorange posted:

Many people have incentives to lie about what they were vaping, particularly minors in schools that drop instant expulsion for any drug use whatsoever.

If they admit it to a doctor, wouldn't that doctor risk an epic loving -- possibly loss of licensure -- by patient privacy laws if they revealed that information to anyone, but especially to a school?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

If they're a minor being questioned they will most likely have their parents in the room, or the parents will be told what the answers were. Most of the people getting sick were young, but almost all of the people dying were older. Something to keep in mind.

Is that a right of the parents? For anyone over the age of 10 or 12, the child should absolutely have the right to medical privacy and to discuss health issues with care providers without their parents present, I mean, goddamn!

Also it should be mandatory, and not able to be waived by the minor, to prevent any situation where the parents can coerce the child into revealing anything they might not be comfortable with their parents knowing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That is fully loving insane and disgusting.

Like, who wrote privacy laws that don't apply to handing sensitive information over to a group of people who are, in all honesty, often responsible for some level of abusive behaviour? I wouldn't mind my own parents having access to most or all of what I've ever discussed with a doctor, but on the other hand, that was and is my choice and I absolutely know many situations where parents must not be allowed that kind of access. gently caress.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 9, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And children need to be able to reveal things that would get them in deep poo poo if their parents found out, to receive proper medical care. I think I'll go with patient privacy on this one.

Like, we have a huge example right here in this exact thread about why a lack of patient privacy protections is horrible both for individual health and epidemiological investigations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

Thanks for the information. I'm a medical researcher but new to this space. I'll take a look at the resources you've provided and see what questions I have from a greater understanding of the context.

The first question that comes to mind initially though is this - if it's physically/mechanically impossible to adulterate ENDS with Vitamin E acetate, why was the Honey Cut company was advertising its product's use for both nicotine and cannabis products?

If I had to guess, probably the same reason bongs are marketed as "water pipes for tobacco smoking." I.E. bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, I’ve smoked some form of tobacco since I was 15, and I presently use snus. 6 mg/mL was just fine for me and 12 mg/mL was unpleasant because you’d take a hit and you’d be done, and inasmuch as smoking is subjectively great apart from the deadliness, part of the greatness is taking a break for 10 minutes at a time or whatever.

poo poo above 12 mg/mL scares the loving poo poo out of me. That’s the strongest I’ve ever had, and it was too much for me, and I once smoked a pack of unfiltered cigarettes and 7 cigars in one particularly ill-advised day in Cuba.