Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

It's been a few years since its release, it's one of the most divisive Gundams, and it's getting compilation movies, so let's watch Reconguista in G.

picture here when im not phoneposting

Gundam: Reconguista in G is the latest show by Tomino, father of Gundam, and personally my favorite of the lot. Featuring character designs by that one Eureka 7 guy, fights influenced by dance choreography, wild looking robots, and racism. It has a far more optimistic tone than a lot of the other Gundam series, and it's just generally a lot of fun.

How are we doing this?
Two episodes a week starting the week of Oct 7th. If somebody wants to set up a group watch through cytube or whatnot you are more than welcome.

Isn't this show bad?
G-Reco suffers from trying to fit a 50 episode series into a timespan half that length. The pacing isn't great and it can get a little confusing. Some people absolutely hated it. Some called it the herald of a new age of storytelling. I think it's at least worth giving a watch for yourself.

Do I need to watch/enjoy other Gundams to enjoy this one?
G-Reco is set far, far in the future past even (or shortly before the answer keeps on changing) the one Gundam series that's supposed to be set centuries after every other Gundam. There are a few references to other series, but it's definitely intended standalone and is pretty unique in the franchise. It's closer to King Gainer than Gundam.

There are differences between the Blu-rays and the streaming version. I'd recommend the former if you can.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i mean the continuity doesn't really matter, it's just waaaaay after UC

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Oops, I forgot to mention. Ep 1 and 2 aired together and kinda together make the first episode, so probably best to think about it as a single episode in terms of the pacing, rather than two.

The way plot beats are introduced are definitely set up that way, yeah. There are seemingly throwaway lines that end up being the only bit of exposition explaining pivotal parts of the conflict. If you're not paying attention, you're out of luck, and the next episode previews will make fun of you for it. Definitely not something you can watch and understand while multitasking. Tomino even did a apology that iirc was translated more accurately as "I'm sorry people didn't understand the show." Not apologizing for the show, but for people not understanding it.

How Bellri treats combat, and how the rest of folk from the Capital treat it, is kind of an essential element for the show, and something I originally meant to touch on in the OP before I made a short OP. The whole thing is meant to feel off. These are trained soldiers who do not know or expect real combat, in a peaceful nation that's isolated from any ongoing wars. As is kinda suggested by the cheerleaders, they treat it almost like a sport.