Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boar guy posted:

nothing like watching a 70 year old in a lifted avalanche who is not going to make it in to that primo parking space scrape up against your car in the costco parking lot as you yell at the top of your lungs you're going to hit my car, you're going to hit my car, you're hitting my car, you're hitting my car, you hit my car, what the hell man you hit my car

then he gets out and asks you 'did i hit your car?' costco :argh:

Good thread OP, it’s interesting reading about how IC works. So if someone tips you do you get 100% of that? There was a big story about food delivery people getting screwed out of tips, wondering if it were the same.

Costco parking lots, ugh. I hauled carts there for a while. Highlights:

-big dogs leaping at car windows as you walk past is not fun. Coworker got his ear mauled when one got out.

-please sir, stop cussing me out for asking you not to block the fire exit with your motorcycle. I really can’t ignore that.

-irritated customers waiting for us to load their TVs into hatchbacks because I had to run across the lot to extinguish a small brush fire from someone’s cigarette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

So if someone tips you do you get 100% of that? There was a big story about food delivery people getting screwed out of tips, wondering if it were the same.

i don't really know how it works. here is the summary from the app for that big costco order i pulled yesterday:

when this popped up on my screen it was $30 from Insta and $40 from the customer. you can see how it changed, probably because a)the dollar amount of the order changed when i stopped filling it or b)the lady reduced her tip afterwards.

my lowest star rating yesterday was 4 stars so...that tells you the service standard on insta :) seems to be totally random, i've had people mark stuff as missing from their order that i know goddamn well i handed to them

oh and the tips get even jankier on a delivery only order. how do they split it between the shopper and the driver? who gets the extra $3 for a 5 star rating? no one really knows

insta also calculates distances using toll roads lmao

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 15, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

this is about a $400 order at costco (thanks, assholes at some church, pretty christlike of you to make me carry that water in and not tip)

some dipshit boomer in the parking lot: WOW ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FIT IN A FOCUS, INNIT?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So this job is just hustling as fast as you can for rich white women and agonizing about how they never tip? I can't imagine a worse job on earth. Cleaning toilets would be much more rewarding.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

boar guy posted:

this is about a $400 order at costco (thanks, assholes at some church, pretty christlike of you to make me carry that water in and not tip)

suffering brings you closer to jesus

and pinball i guess

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

boar guy posted:

some dipshit boomer in the parking lot: WOW ITS AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FIT IN A FOCUS, INNIT?

I never got a single full-service batch at Costco when I worked for IC. I only ever got DOs, and they were always some of the worst/most annoying batches for me because there was almost always too much poo poo for me to fit inside my tiny rear end Corolla, so I had to keep calling what IC called “Shopper Happiness” (basically IC’s employee help line) to get one or two orders taken off each batch just so I could fit everything in my car. And because the Costcos in Austin are all way the gently caress on the far edges of town so it was always a long rear end drive from there to the customers’ houses.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 18, 2019

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I never got a single full-service batch at Costco when I worked for IC. I only ever got DOs, and they were always some of the worst/most annoying batches for me because there was almost always too much poo poo for me to fit inside my tiny rear end Corolla, so I had to keep calling what IC called “Shopper Happiness” (basically IC’s employee help line) to get one or two orders taken off each batch just so I could fit everything in my car. And because the Costcos in Austin are all way the gently caress on the far edges of town so it was always a long rear end drive from there to the customers’ houses.

we hardly ever get DO- there is only one grocery store left here in south county that even offers it; the one by the retirement community

hate DO orders from there, gonna be 3 stacked up, to addresses up three flights where the old wants you to bring everything in

also those orders are going to be 10 bags each because the dipshit in store shopping guys insist on putting everything in its own bag. eggs? 1 bag. bread? 1 bag. bananas? 1 bag. canned poo poo? stuff 50 of them in one bag.

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 18, 2019

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Any new stories? Just found this thread and it's interesting.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BULLETKISS posted:

Any new stories? Just found this thread and it's interesting.

aw, thanks for the compliment :) I stopped posting because there seemed to be a lack of interest but stay tuned to find out if I get my pinball machine by my birthday (Feb 4)

IC taking away the quality bonus for a 5 star rating was essentially a 25% pay cut. job is worth even less now than it was when the thread was active

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So basically its 15 bucks an hour, while your gas and wear and tear probably bring that to about 9 an hour. Contractor status and missing taxes takes it to like 7 an hour. And then the fact you don't get sick days, any benefits, any paid breaks, 5 bucks an hour.

You'd infintely better working for an auto parts store as a delivery driver for $10 an hour.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

vincentpricesboner posted:

You'd infintely better working for an auto parts store as a delivery driver for $10 an hour.

but then id have a boss and a schedule and nah

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

okay, took the morning off, so time for another update/brain dump

i think i figured out a better way to do this thing, which is NEVER EVER SCHEDULE YOURSELF FOR HOURS. just freelance pick up batches instead. there's a time of day when the peak bonuses are insane- yesterday, for example, I worked for 4 hours and made $92. you just have to be willing to sit idle for a while or drive around and wait for better batches. Those 4 runs I made yesterday were all to Costco, all of them had less than 4 items in them and were delivered to addresses less than 5 miles from the store. at that rate, it makes sense to do it. what does't make sense, is scheduling yourself for hours and then not getting to choose what batches you pick up; you're locked in to the system at that point and if you turn down 3 batches in a row because they aren't worth doing they cut you off for the day and you get a Reliability Incident until you whimperingly log back in and take that $9 batch that has 40 items to pick in it

some other Random Stories

had a delivery last sunday that was at like 5:30 PM down this dark rear end road that ended in a cul de sac; nobody's outside, no speed limits posted or anything. i drop my poo poo off and then turn around and some crazy motherfucker jumps out in the middle of the road maybe...50 yards up? and starts waving his hands at me (i did no more than 30 mph on this street. yes i know assume 25 but its dark and there's no one around. no street lights, nothing and i was in a hurry to gtfo but im pretty sure his complaint was that i was driving too fast) and yelling. I drove straight ahead- there was a car parked in the street on my left side- planning to go around him but he just kept putting himself in front of my car. for all i know this crazy gently caress has a weapon or a vendetta against ford focuses so i gun it to my left, barely missing both him and the parked car. he took the opportunity to smash both his hands on passenger side windows and i took the opportunity to get the gently caress outta there. i got punched in the face through the open window of my pickup once in college driving for dominos and very nearly ran the fucker over trying to get out of there that time. what kind of crazy gently caress jumps out in front of a moving car?!?!

what's the part of your elbow that makes it so that you can hold a full cup of coffee in your non-dominant hand, raise it to your lips and drink it? cause i was having some trouble doing that until i took a few days off. feels like..a tendon? or something? under my elbow?

wife comes in this morning 'why is there a 50 pack of costco toilet paper in your trunk' oops, i guess i forgot one of the items in my last delivery because i was also running a client call through my cell phone at the same time :) no change in my Shopper rating, though...hmmm, almost like that rating is total bullshit

IC are definitely gaming the gently caress out of your tip. what you choose to tip in the app has no correlation with what IC calls a tip. if you want to tip your driver do it in cash

the quality bonus is gone in retaliation for people complaining about wages so drivers literally do not give a poo poo if they do a good job or not. there's no punishment for low star ratings. i had an order the other day that i dropped off and then the lady lied and said i didn't; $45 worth of vitamin C and bullshit from mother's market. she reported both items missing. thats $45 that insta just has to eat, and my rating went from a 4.89 to a 4.83. so who cares?

working for instacart is essentially slave labor and you should feel bad about using the service and i should feel bad about supporting it by working for it. the gig economy is utter bullshit

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

boar guy posted:

working for instacart is essentially slave labor and you should feel bad about using the service and i should feel bad about supporting it by working for it. the gig economy is utter bullshit

but pinball

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Inept posted:

but pinball

dont judge me

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

also what's that you say, costco? i can't return an $80 bottle of undeliverable whiskey due to state law? drat! dang! darn!

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

boar guy posted:

what's the part of your elbow that makes it so that you can hold a full cup of coffee in your non-dominant hand, raise it to your lips and drink it? cause i was having some trouble doing that until i took a few days off. feels like..a tendon? or something? under my elbow?

Well it's either ulnar nerve entrapment (cubital tunnel), golfer's elbow, or tennis elbow depending on what you mean by "under" your elbow.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Amara posted:

Well it's either ulnar nerve entrapment (cubital tunnel), golfer's elbow, or tennis elbow depending on what you mean by "under" your elbow.

but like...on the back of my elbow. the part of your elbow that touches your body when you hunch up

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Any numbness/tingling/weakness in your pinky? If yes, ulnar entrapment.

If no, probably golfer's elbow (weirdly I think that's the rarest of the three, or at least the one I hear of least).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Amara posted:

Any numbness/tingling/weakness in your pinky? If yes, ulnar entrapment.

If no, probably golfer's elbow (weirdly I think that's the rarest of the three, or at least the one I hear of least).

much obliged

I'm alleviating the issue with rest and refusing heavy orders and it's getting better

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

watching a bunch of videos today to get trained to deliver prescriptions, for which i will be paid $15

they boil down to 'forget what you deliver and shred the paper receipts'

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

boar guy posted:

watching a bunch of videos today to get trained to deliver prescriptions, for which i will be paid $15

they boil down to 'forget what you deliver and shred the paper receipts'

I'm waiting for the stories where someone will give you a bigger tip for helping them with their suppository, put on their cream, etc.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

BULLETKISS posted:

I'm waiting for the stories where someone will give you a bigger tip for helping them with their suppository, put on their cream, etc.

how much we talkin', here?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

boar guy posted:

IC are definitely gaming the gently caress out of your tip. what you choose to tip in the app has no correlation with what IC calls a tip. if you want to tip your driver do it in cash

IMO folks should generally pay cash tips for everything when convenient, but if you're using an app-based service like Insta-Cart, Doordash, or Uber you are morally obligated to pay that tip in cash. You can assume that any tip paid via the app itself is getting at least partially hoovered up by management.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

:3:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i pretty much quit IC because my business always comes roaring back in the first few weeks of the new year when people have their new budgets but i did notice that the referral bonus in socal went from $25 to $200 so if anyone wants to sign up to do a few batches, hit me up and i'll send you my referral code, we can split the two hundo :D

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
So did you get the pinball machine yet???

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

nope.we needed the funds for bills. c'est la vie

boar guy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
But that sword multi ball in deadpool is goddamn hard to hit consistently.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

update: here in OC, CA, we got emails that starting March 4th, there are no more Hours, only Batches. gotta be in response to the San Francisco suit. but at least now all workers can pick and choose to take a batch or not and not get forced in to it.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

boar guy posted:

update: here in OC, CA, we got emails that starting March 4th, there are no more Hours, only Batches. gotta be in response to the San Francisco suit. but at least now all workers can pick and choose to take a batch or not and not get forced in to it.

You guys getting AB5’d or whatever?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Spokes posted:

You guys getting AB5’d or whatever?

yep

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just a heads up as i am not risking my life for insta, but wanted to let people know that they are upping their game

here in OC CA for example, i got a promo fo $150 if i do 10 batches this week; on top of the $7 minimum per batch that's $17 per plus the tip which is pretty okay money but still not worth risking your life for imho

edit: just a reminder as you order stuff in, the apps lie about how much of the tip the driver gets. if you want the people risking their lives to help you to get the whole tip, tip in cash

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 7, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I picked up an f14 Tomcat :D

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

boar guy posted:

I picked up an f14 Tomcat :D

Nice! And a good timing to play, I'm jealous.

Wasn't your goal a NIB Deadpool though? :)

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Lockback posted:

Nice! And a good timing to play, I'm jealous.

Wasn't your goal a NIB Deadpool though? :)

it was but as i explained, we needed the insta money for bills. i picked this up at a great price as a reward to myself for landing a job last week, and am going to sink another 5-600 in to it in the form of paint and stencils, plastics, LEDs, stickers etc. as a reward for converting the 90 day contract i got to a full time gig when that happens. also my elbow finally stopped hurting and the muscle in my left shoulder finally stopped constantly twitching

:tipshat: thanks for asking

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Let's see the drat pinball machine!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Let's see the drat pinball machine!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

p.s. i got a stranger things LE after this when i got a rad bonus at a desk job, which i am now trading for a james bond SLE

but still dont do or use instacart if you can help it please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This thread was a trip and a half (much like those Austin batches!) and I’m so glad it ended with you in an actual job.

Last year I was having a poo poo of a time landing a job myself and was about to start as a Shopper when finances were getting grim, so I get a morbid kick of reading about the alternate reality.