Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It sounds like at this point you are effectively working a full-time job with Insta-Cart. The job sounds miserable and, well, not particularly remunerative, even before the additional payroll taxes for being a "contractor" are considered

Why not get a "real" job (either salaried or hourly) elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Since you have a master's degree, you might consider tutoring, particularly if you're near a wealthy enclave of some sort. Pay is variable but even the most basic work would be around $25/hour. Heck, even waiting tables (in CA you get the full minimum wage PLUS tips) beats the hell out of what you're doing now. They always need folks who can do weekend hours.

If you live near a major CA city there should be a ton of demand for part-time service employees.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You have great taste in affordable whiskey, if nothing else!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It only takes 600 hours of hard labor to earn a pinball machine. The American Dream is still alive, folks.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

boar guy posted:

for sure

yeah, i haven't met/talked to a single other driver that's been doing it for more than a month that likes it. it sucks pretty loving bad tbh :) i can spot someone working from a mile away...the desperation radiates off of us

almost walked out on an order today. $70 batch, over $600 worth of stuff at Costco. heavy item bonus (two 36 packs of water). i have a ford focus, i think i mentioned. they gave me one hour and five minutes to pick the order. the lady then texts me for extra poo poo and to hurry because she has to pick her kid up or something? i was like 15 minutes over the time they allotted me, the little timer in the corner was red, i was looking at like 9 more trips across the store, i said gently caress it. marked everything left in the order as out of stock and told customer service, hey she's gonna be pissed about this

she lowered her top from $40 to $30 so i still made $60 for the ninety minutes but man. i wanted to just walk in the worst way. first time i've honestly felt screwed; the low pay i expect but that poo poo was flustrating. i got to her house and put all the poo poo on the porch and then rang the bell and was like here you go thanks bye, when normally i bend over backwards to be nice and help and carry stuff to the kitchen for them. loving BOUGIE rear end HOE ORDERING $600 WORTH OF poo poo FROM A STORE THAT'S 3 MILES AWAY THEN RUNNING ME AROUND WITH A 200 POUND CART FOR ORANGE JUICE AND HOT COCOA AND TELLING ME YOU DIDNT MEAN TO RUSH ME, KISS MY rear end oh sorry about that haha

edit: Gei, in your experience, are the people who just shop and don't drive like...super weird? or is it just here

also the whole 'tipping' thing is a way for them to cook their books. the explanation for how they figure fees is suuuuuuper shady

edit again: as a shopper, here's my advice to you as a customer

don't get produce through instacart, especially if you are getting $250 worth of organic bullshit from mother's market. don't trust some instacart tweaker to divine what level of avocado ripeness is acceptable from across town, telepathically. buy that poo poo yourself

the service is not designed to replace water delivery and ordering 10 6 packs of 5 gallon water jugs is just a dick move

the service is not for $600 costco orders

if you order weird organic hard to find bullshit and get a replacement you dont like, tough poo poo, shop for it yourself

making people carry heavy poo poo up 3 flights of stairs if you are capable of doing it yourself is pretty lovely

its a bougie as gently caress service for bougie as gently caress people, don't complain that it's expensive

bear in mind that if you add poo poo to your order during it, the app doesn't add time to the timer. give your shopper a break :tipshat:

Isn't that quite a bit more per hour than you usually make?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

boar guy posted:

IC are definitely gaming the gently caress out of your tip. what you choose to tip in the app has no correlation with what IC calls a tip. if you want to tip your driver do it in cash

IMO folks should generally pay cash tips for everything when convenient, but if you're using an app-based service like Insta-Cart, Doordash, or Uber you are morally obligated to pay that tip in cash. You can assume that any tip paid via the app itself is getting at least partially hoovered up by management.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So did you get the pinball machine yet???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Let's see the drat pinball machine!