Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

As far as Card's early stuff goes, I always liked Hart's Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, god, I hated Hart's Hope. It's the one where the protagonist publicly (tw) rapes the underage heiress to the throne in front of an avid crowd, then decided she deserves it because she tried to act like she was enjoying it (self-preservation)

In general, most Card features child abuse, both sexual and not (Ender is absolutely an abused child), and the text is so awful that the subtext is beside the point.

He did a rewrite of Hamlet where the entire plot revolves around Hamlet being incestuously abused. Which explains why Homosexuality Is Bad.

My OSC Issues, let me show you them.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Biffmotron posted:

I recall the first few of the Seventh Son books being pretty interesting, or at least having a great premise. Basically, Jesus is reborn in an alternative 18th century America where magic is real and Britain won the American Revolution. But the protagonist is just a kid, albeit one with immense potential, and the Adversary keeps trying to kill him.

Of course the series falls off fast and hard. I think we’re all used to series that just limp on and on, or authors who had one good book amid a mediocre careers, but Card has an particular talent for a strong start and exponentially decaying sequels.

I loved the first book of this series as a kid, so I'm kind of glad I never went further.

Also it gave me a misapprehension about biology that lasted a long time--in the book, the main character is born with a caul as a sign of his special destiny, but I just thought all babies were born that way.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

RDM posted:

He wrote a truly terrible pentology about space Mormons that's battlefield earth level bad and one of my great regrets is that I've read the entire stupid thing

The only space mormons I'll accept are the ones in Leviathan Wakes/The Expanse.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Biffmotron posted:

Of course the series falls off fast and hard. I think we’re all used to series that just limp on and on, or authors who had one good book amid a mediocre careers, but Card has an particular talent for a strong start and exponentially decaying sequels.
Him and Piers Anthony. Back in his SF days, Anthony would write a kickass first book in a series, then the rest would be dreck. Great at worldbuilding, bad at following through.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Weissey posted:

So I’m hoping to get some suggestions on what to read after I finish The Murderbot series. Here are some of the books I’m considering.

Blindsight - thanks to this thread for bringing it to my attention

Dune - this has been on my backlog for years now.

Harrow the Ninth - I wasn’t completely sold on Gideon, but was still intrigued enough to continue if that makes sense.

Downbelow Station/Cyteen - again, thanks to this thread for suggesting C.J. Cherryh. Not sure if should read one before the other.

Harrow. It's fantastic, but be aware it doesn't make it easy for you. Incredible payoff though.

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Late to the party, but I just finished the rollercoaster that is Exordia. From the blurbs, I was expecting a Serious Story about violence and ethics, but it was actually about those things and sassy aliens and how cool fighter jets are. I used to study physics, so it was fun to see the theoretical concepts, like symmetry breaking and group theory, used in a creative way (and explained better than some professors I've had). Nice one, GB!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Group theory was the point where my brain rejected any more maths learning when I was in school. I should bump Exordia up the list

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Weissey posted:

So I’m hoping to get some suggestions on what to read after I finish The Murderbot series.

Not a recommendation as I haven't read it yet, but a heads-up that prolific book churned-outer Adrian Tchaikovsky has a new story out soon, SERVICE MODEL touted as 'Murderbot meets Redshirts in a delightfully humorous tale of robotic murder' - I've read more hits than misses by him so I'm going to at least have a look at the free sample on kindle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CW19VHXS

quote:

To fix the world they must first break it, further.

Humanity is a dying breed, utterly reliant on artificial labor and service.

When a domesticated robot gets a nasty little idea downloaded into its core programming, they murder their owner. The robot discovers they can also do something else they never did before: They can run away.

Fleeing the household they enter a wider world they never knew existed, where the age-old hierarchy of humans at the top is disintegrating into ruins and an entire robot ecosystem devoted to human wellbeing is having to find a new purpose.

Sometimes all it takes is a nudge to overcome the limits of your programming.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, I'm checking that out, thanks!

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
From December 23 to July 24, he's putting out four books in eight months. The others are House of Open Wounds, Alien Clay, and Saturation Point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Balzac would be proud

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Pere Goriot is definitely my favorite 19th century novel so I should think about reading Lost Illusions.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 27, 2024

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

FPyat posted:

From December 23 to July 24, he's putting out four books in eight months. The others are House of Open Wounds, Alien Clay, and Saturation Point.

the brandon sanderson of (mostly) sciencey fiction

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I'm about halfway through Exordia, and the story is good, but the non-linear narrative is annoying. I think it would be more interesting if it didn't get to an exciting plot point then jump into a few chapters of back story that have already been spoiled.

I'm a bit further on and feeling exactly the same way. It's jumping in both time and viewpoint simultaneously and in ways that don't make sense within the framing story.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

redleader posted:

the brandon sanderson of (mostly) sciencey fiction

damning with faint praise

he's a better writer than sanderson

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Exordia, can anyone spoil me on how much sex is there in it?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Not enough, imo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Safety Biscuits posted:

Not enough, imo

...there's gonna be ssrin fic on ao3 isn't there

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

anilEhilated posted:

Speaking of Exordia, can anyone spoil me on how much sex is there in it?

There’s one fade to black, some non graphic reminiscing and a LOT of horny ideation/ogling. I hope I’m not forgetting anything…

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

FPyat posted:

Forgot to add that Alien Clay comes out today.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

There’s one fade to black, some non graphic reminiscing and a LOT of horny ideation/ogling. I hope I’m not forgetting anything…
Thanks!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Biffmotron posted:

I recall the first few of the Seventh Son books being pretty interesting, or at least having a great premise. Basically, Jesus is reborn in an alternative 18th century America where magic is real and Britain won the American Revolution. But the protagonist is just a kid, albeit one with immense potential, and the Adversary keeps trying to kill him.

To clarify something: he's also (and primarily) Joseph Smith in an alternative 18th century America where magic is real and Britain won the American Revolution. This makes the plot in one of the later books where manipulative schemers get a young woman to definitely 300% falsely accuse him of sleeping with her under false pretenses to get him arrested and he's so obviously innocent and perfect that the jury stands up and claps for his lawyer (wait, no, my bad... they remain seated) a lot funnier and even more depressing than it already is at face value.

Weissey
Aug 16, 2023

sebmojo posted:

Harrow. It's fantastic, but be aware it doesn't make it easy for you. Incredible payoff though.

One of my all time favorite series is Gene Wolfe’s Solar Cycle series so I am use to waiting for payoff lol

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone who read both the Hamlet play and Em X Liu's 'The death I gave him' please tell medium what you think. Because my schooling focused on Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer, and this book feels like very well written fanfic except not fanfic at all. Modern interpretation? I mean that as a compliment.
Well the sex scenes between Hamlet and Horatio were cool. I really did enjoy the prose, it was a lot better than Liu's 'if found return to hell's novella imo.

ps Yospos voice: gently caress and cum in your computer.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
This thread turned me on to og novels by George “Rail Road” Martin. Tuf Voyaging was some good old short form sci-fi, but Fevre Dream might be one of my favorite books ever. I honestly went into the book not giving two shits about steamboats, which feature prominently both on the cover as well as in between them, but every time Abner started waxing poetic about them… I was hooked. It probably doesn’t help that I’m of a certain age and the older I get, the more I like trains (and apparently other forms of transport).

I’m slightly disappointed that I spoiled the second chapter or so by reading a blurb on the cover like “A fresh new take on the vampire novel by Martin.”

I’m kind of glad it didn’t spawn a GRRM steamboat cinematic universe with an HBO series and Sour Billy Tipton Funko Pops. Great little world with a great little story all wrapped up in one book with a bow on it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thinking back, isn't Accelerando basically premised on transhuman civilizations inevitably being cannibalized and replaced by "M Y P U S S Y I N B I O?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

FPyat posted:

Thinking back, isn't Accelerando basically premised on transhuman civilizations inevitably being cannibalized and replaced by "M Y P U S S Y I N B I O?"

Yes.

It's one of my favorite works.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Weissey posted:

One of my all time favorite series is Gene Wolfe’s Solar Cycle series so I am use to waiting for payoff lol

I actually put the locked tomb comfortably on a level with botns, for all it's very different in tone

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fevre Dream is my favorite GRRM.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just finished, in relatively rapid succession, wizard of earthsea (had read decades ago but forgot all of it), the dispossessed, and now left hand of darkness.

Folks, I think Le Guin might have been a good writer, super hot take I know.

Of the three, the dispossessed is my favorite, but that's not taking anything away from the others. Planning on more earthsea and lathe of heaven as my next forays.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

frogbs posted:

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

Which is the one you can't stand?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fischtick posted:

This thread turned me on to og novels by George “Rail Road” Martin. Tuf Voyaging was some good old short form sci-fi, but Fevre Dream might be one of my favorite books ever. I honestly went into the book not giving two shits about steamboats, which feature prominently both on the cover as well as in between them, but every time Abner started waxing poetic about them… I was hooked. It probably doesn’t help that I’m of a certain age and the older I get, the more I like trains (and apparently other forms of transport).

I’m slightly disappointed that I spoiled the second chapter or so by reading a blurb on the cover like “A fresh new take on the vampire novel by Martin.”

I’m kind of glad it didn’t spawn a GRRM steamboat cinematic universe with an HBO series and Sour Billy Tipton Funko Pops. Great little world with a great little story all wrapped up in one book with a bow on it.

It's not as good, but you might also like John Brunner's The Great Steamboat Race, which takes inspiration from the same events -- except with no vampires.

For those who don't know, in the late 70s Brunner was disappointed that SF wasn't paying enough despite the praise he got for books like Stand on Zanzibar, and decided to follow John Jakes's example and reinvent himself as a historical novelist. The Great Steamboat Race took Brunner five years to write, and when it finally saw print, it was a complete flop and put an end to Brunner's hopes of getting into a more profitable field.

I don't think it's a bad book myself, but it's way overstuffed and could really have used a more ruthless editor to cut it down.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 28, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

PriorMarcus posted:

Which is the one you can't stand?

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

frogbs posted:

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

I think they meant which viewpoint

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Tarnop posted:

I think they meant which viewpoint

Ugh, sorry guys, wasn’t quite awake this morning.

Couldn’t stand the spider chapters. If I have to read the words Understandings or Palps one more drat time…

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh it's simple. You just need to be infected by the great Uplift virus, Pagliacci

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

frogbs posted:

Couldn’t stand the spider chapters. If I have to read the words Understandings or Palps one more drat time…

Oh fascinating, I thought those were the best parts of the book and could have happily jettisoned the other POVs.

It sounds like you want harder sci-fi ala Greg Egan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

frogbs posted:

To each their own, but I remember 3BP having a compelling and odd mystery, but horribly, laughably flat characters and it replaced thoughtfulness with cynicism (more so in the later books). Children of Time is not perfect but it is the far side of the world from that.