Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Finally got around to finishing the second half of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. Definitely up there as one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy series.

Do the other series he's written with this setting hold up compared to Book of the New Sun?

Otherwise, I think I'm gonna go back to rereading Lord of the Rings for the first time since high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh fascinating, I thought those were the best parts of the book and could have happily jettisoned the other POVs.

It sounds like you want harder sci-fi ala Greg Egan.

I liked the concepts in 3bp and the unusual cultural povs but I have a hard time recommending it as a Good Book. On the other hand, I adore the spider guy books.

I think of Greg Egan’s Permutation City along the same lines as 3bp: I didn’t love the book but I feel like my brain changed for the better having read it. I’d put thread favorite Blindsight up there, too.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A friend who also enjoyed the 3BP books recommended Peter F Hamilton to me, but I haven't read any yet so I don't know if that's a good recommendation

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tarnop posted:

A friend who also enjoyed the 3BP books recommended Peter F Hamilton to me, but I haven't read any yet so I don't know if that's a good recommendation

personally I'd say it's not a good recommendation, Hamilton's writing ranges from mediocre to terrible, he occasionally hits on a good idea but IMO it's not worth the slog through crud to get to them. I've only read the first 3BP book but even then I can kind of see where the rec is coming from, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mustang posted:

Finally got around to finishing the second half of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. Definitely up there as one of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy series.

Do the other series he's written with this setting hold up compared to Book of the New Sun?

Otherwise, I think I'm gonna go back to rereading Lord of the Rings for the first time since high school.

Long Sun is slightly lesser in quality but is doing different things generally. Short Sun is Wolfe's Magnum Opus.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I enjoyed 3BP. I loath Peter F Hamilton.

I'd recommend the expanse books over Hamilton 10 out of 10 times

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For the sake of my friend I will read a few chapters, but I won't get my hopes up

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

frogbs posted:

Ugh, sorry guys, wasn’t quite awake this morning.

Couldn’t stand the spider chapters. If I have to read the words Understandings or Palps one more drat time…

This guy's from the mirror universe

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

tbf I think a lot of the stuff with Portia and Fabian has moments that are a bit tongue in cheek and a bit twee, though I think it's intentional and meant to be a juxtaposition against the elements of the spider characters that are much, much less human. But I could understand why someone would get a little tired of the voice of those sections, for lack of a better descriptor.

I kind of felt that way about the octopus portions of the second book though for different reasons, I liked all the concepts and science of those sections, but I did find some of them a bit tiresome to actually read, especially because in that book I think the other plotline(s) were pretty compelling.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Tarnop posted:

For the sake of my friend I will read a few chapters, but I won't get my hopes up

Specifically, if you're going to read one of his books, either Pandora's Star for a series or Dragonfall for a standalone. There's no thread consensus on his overall quality as a writer, but that those are his best seems pretty uncontroversial. If you don't like his style and feel like dropping him, the only thing I'd say is find the specific chapter about Morning Light Mountain in Pandora's Star and read that, and then proceed with writing him off.

Personally, I'm still a fan despite some pedestrian flaws as an author. That said, his recent books have been worse than his earliest books, and I don't think he'll be pulling up before he dies.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 28, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

StumblyWumbly posted:

To each their own, but I remember 3BP having a compelling and odd mystery, but horribly, laughably flat characters and it replaced thoughtfulness with cynicism (more so in the later books). Children of Time is not perfect but it is the far side of the world from that.

I agree that 3rd had basically zero characterization but all the big idea stuff made up for it for me. Even the human characters in Children of Time didn’t land for me, it all felt just as flat as 3bp, if not more so!

Edit: I’m also realizing that I might just hate spiders so much in real life that it’s ruined the books for me.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2024

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I am drumming my feet against the floor in a way that would, in human terms, express frustration!

But yeah, if you can't countenance that particular creature, CoT is not the book for you. Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War and Bear Head might be better suited if you want to read his thoughts on smart animals, though they aren't as much into the big sci-fi ideas as Children.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

frogbs posted:

Edit: I’m also realizing that I might just hate spiders so much in real life that it’s ruined the books for me.

Called it

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Comedy recommend: Deepness In the Sky, Vernor Vinge. it also features spiders for half the PoVs

I said this in the 3BP thread in tviv, maintain that it's a good set but curious of others here have others:

NmareBfly posted:

Stephen Baxter? The Manifold trilogy in particular, in which each book pokes a different solution to Fermi. Or the Xeelee sequence, which has an even grander arc. Alistair Reynolds has some good stuff, House Of Suns I thought was super good and is standalone. Pushing ice.

If you've read Blindsight already, Exordia is probably gonna come up. It's great, but probably not 'hard'

E: Spin, Robert Charles Winston. Marooned in Real Time, Vernor Vinge (RIP :C)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mustang posted:

I'm not in the goon mainstream with this view, but i think Wolfe drops off a cliff not long after BOTNS. i would definitely read soldier of mist, soldier of arete and the fifth head of cerberus though.

A lot of people do love the books of the long sun and short sun though, so give those a go if you like.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Revelation Space series is similar in scope and style to 3BP. Reynolds' characterization is also not very good (though it has been improving) and it's heavy on infodumps but not as sexist, from what I remember.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tarnop posted:

I haven't read 3BP yet, but Peter F. Hamilton sounds similar in that he has interesting ideas and then his execution is terrible and his characters are garbage. I remember back in college I read that six book arc I now forget the name. The series was filled with interesting ideas for sci-fi stuff, but the human and character side was just garbage. Like, even in college I was thinking "wow, this is mediocre". There was also a lot of sexual violence. Like, a lot.

edit: also a lot of his protagonist characters come off as huge entitled assholes and I can't tell if this is intentional or not.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 28, 2024

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hard sci Fi very very frequently has caricatures not characters, it's kinda baked into the genre expectations for me.

I think it's partially just because of the scope of a lot of the stories? If you call yourself hard Sci Fi, it's probably because you're going to be looking at deep time and a vast cold universe where individual actual people barely have a role except maybe to observe.

Part of why I think I liked House of Suns so much; it managed to have both.

Oh and as a counterpoint to Children of Time specifically, Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson. If what you want is a generational colony ship.

E: v- :drat:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 29, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

StumblyWumbly posted:

3BP... horribly, laughably flat characters

:thunk:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

The characters were so flat you could roll them up

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm nearing the last quarter of the last book of Liveship Traders. Pretty good series, although I honestly think Tide Child is the better character driven pirate-y fantasy series, as good as Hobb is.

Audiobooks are the only way I survive my high hour job, so I need to have something good on deck ready to go. I'd like a fantasy(not urban right now please, something lower tech). I'd prefer that it's got good characters that will make me feel emotions and concern and stuff like that. And I'd like it to take itself seriously, no characters making dumb quips in the middle of danger or whatever like a Marvel movie, that kind of stuff really gets on my nerves! Anything popular like ASOIAF and WoT, etc just assume I've already read. Thanks!

Some of my favorite series/authors:

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie
Ash and Sand by Richard Nell
Tide Lords by Jennifer Fallon(I bounced off her older work)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Slyphic posted:

Specifically, if you're going to read one of his books, either Pandora's Star for a series or Dragonfall for a standalone. There's no thread consensus on his overall quality as a writer, but that those are his best seems pretty uncontroversial. If you don't like his style and feel like dropping him, the only thing I'd say is find the specific chapter about Morning Light Mountain in Pandora's Star and read that, and then proceed with writing him off.

Personally, I'm still a fan despite some pedestrian flaws as an author. That said, his recent books have been worse than his earliest books, and I don't think he'll be pulling up before he dies.

Thanks for the recommendation. The Reality Dysfunction was the one my friend suggested, I don't know how that compares. It's an older book at least

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh, y'all are talking about Hamilton. His books are pretty fun to read, although there's some weird sex stuff in some of them. That last series he wrote, Salvation Sequence I think? was actually just plain good imo, especially the audiobook.

The Reality Dysfunction does have a really off the wall villain, I don't want to spoil but it's honestly kind of dumb. Otherwise it was alright. The series that starts with Pandora's Star is better, and as previously stated, Salvation was really good, but it's it's own separate world.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 29, 2024

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm nearing the last quarter of the last book of Liveship Traders. Pretty good series, although I honestly think Tide Child is the better character driven pirate-y fantasy series, as good as Hobb is.

Audiobooks are the only way I survive my high hour job, so I need to have something good on deck ready to go. I'd like a fantasy(not urban right now please, something lower tech). I'd prefer that it's got good characters that will make me feel emotions and concern and stuff like that. And I'd like it to take itself seriously, no characters making dumb quips in the middle of danger or whatever like a Marvel movie, that kind of stuff really gets on my nerves! Anything popular like ASOIAF and WoT, etc just assume I've already read. Thanks!

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie

They came up a couple pages ago -- Patricia McKillip's Riddlemaster books might suit you.

And since I haven't recommended it in a while: The Book of the Dun Cow.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sweet, I'll read Pandora's Star at some point then and feign ignorance when my friend says I read the wrong one

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie

Bujold's Challion series!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. The Reality Dysfunction was the one my friend suggested, I don't know how that compares. It's an older book at least

NOOOOOO

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Peter F. Hamilton is very much an Ideas Guy in that he has a lot of really great ideas and then proceeds to completely squander any of their potential (or worse!) over thousands of pages.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Well, barring any sudden application of peer pressure there's like 200 books on my list before I get to Hamilton so I'm good for a while

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie

My friend have you read thread favorite The Traitor Baru Cormorant?

Also rec:
Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The Tainted Cup by Robert Jackson Bennett
She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

tiniestacorn posted:

Also rec:
Sabriel by Garth Nix

I actually bounced off Traitor for some reason, not sure why. I have read a decent bit of Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff. I also remember starting Fifth Season a while back on audio, and quitting, but I want to say it was because I got distracted, I don't remember not liking it(I do remember being a bit confused though!). I had actually thought about picking that one back up, or Twelve Kings In Sharakhai(another one I quit because I got distracted by something else). Out of those, and the others you and everyone else suggested, would you guys say is going to emotionally devastate me the most? Those are the good ones! Speaking of emotional devastation, I also really liked Long Price Quartet!

e: Oh yeah, the longer the book/series the better, once I get invested in a world and characters, I like to hang around in it for a while!

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 29, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

fez_machine posted:

Bujold's Challion series!

These are really good, just about peak SF&F.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Peter F. Hamilton is very much an Ideas Guy in that he has a lot of really great ideas and then proceeds to completely squander any of their potential (or worse!) over thousands of pages.

Reality Dysfunction + sequels has loads of cool ideas, and loads more ideas that are so stupid they wrap around to also being cool, and then drags it out for way longer than it needs to and concludes with a long, wet fart. As a teenager I picked up the first book on vacation and was really into it, and by the end I was like "I want a personal apology from this author, what the gently caress did I just read".

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
After I emerge from the void that is the Cosmere, I need help deciding where to go next on my TBR. I can choose all of Red Rising, Dune, or Sword of Kaigen. Please help me.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Red Rising was really loving good imo. The first book started off a bit eh, because it feels a little YA-y and like a Hunger Games ripoff or something(although it did even that pretty good by the end), but the poo poo hits the fan and it opens up into more space opera type stuff after book 1 and it's so good. Lots of emotional devastation to be had in that series. Highly recommend the audiobook narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds!

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

e: Oh yeah, the longer the book/series the better, once I get invested in a world and characters, I like to hang around in it for a while!

If length is a prime motivator, and you can stand pulp beyond the usual levels. Go to the webserial thread, nearly every major one has an audible adaptation and the most notable The Wandering Inn is famous for having topped 10,000,000 words

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

tiniestacorn posted:

Also rec:
Sabriel by Garth Nix

My hold for “The Tainted Cup” came up recently at the library and I’ve really been enjoying it. I’d read the Foundryside series but hadn’t heard of this one. Thank you for the rec!

Edit: lol you posted this today. I assumed the recommendation had come from this thread so I just searched and didn’t see the date. Whatever, enjoyable book.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 29, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

Ok, so i've queued up samples of a few books folks recommended here, along with others I found randomly searching around. Will report back if any stick:
  • Diaspora - Greg Egan
  • Permutation City - Greg Egan
  • Hyperion - Dan Simmons
  • Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
  • Blindsight - Peter Watts
  • Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
  • Forge of God - Greg Bear

PLEASE let me know if any of the above contain spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie

The Piranesi audiobook is amazing. Also Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.

Also Goblin Emperor and the couple spinoffs in the same world.

The Last Policeman isn't exactly fantasy, but it's excellent and may wreck you emotionally.

I will also second the Fifth Season audiobooks rec, I liked them a lot.

And kind of low fantasy adjacent alt history, the Aubrey-Maturin series is incredible. And there's 20 books to listen to!

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 29, 2024