Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

I enjoy when historical fiction swerves into alt history at the last possible moment and you suddenly realize you've been had

It makes me so angry

I hate it of all things

This whole time you've just been *making everything up*? Like a fabulist!?

The whole point of historical fiction is the dance of believability and that swerve shatters it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

There's a common point between Crichton and Declare that makes it unsatisfying to me. They both take place in essentially the real world, so despite having big stuff happen, it all unravels by the end and essentially nothing changes. It ends up feeling like the message is "Here's some interesting stuff, it will have no impact."

World changing events that stick is your base criteria for a satisfying story?

mdemone posted:

I enjoy when historical fiction swerves into alt history at the last possible moment and you suddenly realize you've been had

Examples? I can only think of Inglorious Basterds off the top of my head.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

That's exactly the framework I mean.

Didn't Cryptonomicon give up the game near the end?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Temeraire mostly

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Temeraire mostly
Temeraire never makes any pretense to being anything other than alt history though? Unless you think "napoleonic war with dragons" counts as historical fiction somehow

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Stephenson's Baroque Cycle definitely has alternate-history aspects of course, while pretending (mostly) to be historical fiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

Temeraire never makes any pretense to being anything other than alt history though? Unless you think "napoleonic war with dragons" counts as historical fiction somehow

It begins as an extremely direct rewrite of the Aubrey / Maturin series, except with dragons, which isn't that different from the sort of thing Powers does in Declare. So while there are alt history elements initially it seems to be playing the "we will stay roughly aligned with actual history, except" game that Powers is playing in his fiction.

An extraordinarily auspicious beginning and then it fails in that promise rather rapidly and rather dramatically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Unless you think "napoleonic war with dragons" counts as historical fiction somehow

I think we should teach the controversy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood :v:

Probably the single greatest example. Tarantino built the tension to unbearable levels, I felt like I was being strangled watching the build up to the murders. And then bam it all works out in the most absurd and beautiful way.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm open to just being someone who doesn't like historical fiction, but I thought the Baroque Cycle illustrated some parts of history I wasn't familiar with and showed some historical themes that were interesting to me.
I feel like Crichton's work (which I haven't read in forever, so maybe its just my high school brain talking) was more about the plot and the plot just circles back on itself.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

mdemone posted:

Sounds a lot like the show Britannia

It makes me so angry

I hate it of all things

The whole point of historical fiction is the dance of believability and that swerve shatters it

The shattering in Britannia was the best part! Like the whole first season, they carefully tread the line. It was historical fiction where you couldn’t be sure if the supernatural elements were just showing how people imagined poo poo they experienced back then (and drugs—lots and lots of druid drugs)

But then the very first episode of the second season BAM the evil Roman general knees Claudius in the balls and tells us he’s gonna bring hell on Earth for absolute loving real. And poo poo only gets weirder from there

gently caress I miss that show :smith:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

It makes me so angry

I hate it of all things

how do you feel about a dozen or so Aubrey-Maturin books taking place in a magical world where 1813 is about 30ish months long

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

zoux posted:

I think we should teach the controversy

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If it got me more Aubrey-Maturin, I would gladly accept that the Battle of Trafalgar lasted for seven months and no less than three separate instances of Jack won and lost a fortune several times each during the course of the thing.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/Dexerto/status/1780961153981501946

mystes
May 31, 2006

Instructions unclear. Where am I supposed to stuff it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

how do you feel about a dozen or so Aubrey-Maturin books taking place in a magical world where 1813 is about 30ish months long

Look, some things gentlemen just don't talk about

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Stuporstar posted:

gently caress I miss that show :smith:

I miss Plebs

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Look, some things gentlemen just don't talk about

Sure, but how do you feel?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I forget who said it but someone's fun theory about the aubrey-maturin time dilation was that Padeen was actually some variety of Fae and was causing time shenanigans.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey if you debauch a sloth, there's gonna be temporal consequences

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

Revenger (#1) by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

So I'm reading the AM series for the first time and I'll probably start #15 a little later tonight. I'm really enjoying O'Brian's introductions where he was to tell British Naval sweaties "yes, if this sounds familiar, I'm totally ripping off another battle and another guy. Deal with it. Also yes, we're in 1812b right now, the last novel was in 1812a."

mewse
May 2, 2006

It makes me so angry

I hate it of all things

Glad I'm not the only one who finds it annoying

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Poldarn posted:

So I'm reading the AM series for the first time and I'll probably start #15 a little later tonight. I'm really enjoying O'Brian's introductions where he was to tell British Naval sweaties "yes, if this sounds familiar, I'm totally ripping off another battle and another guy. Deal with it. Also yes, we're in 1812b right now, the last novel was in 1812a."

Yeah O'Brian wasn't about to let actual history get in the way of telling an excellent story

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Benagain posted:

I forget who said it but someone's fun theory about the aubrey-maturin time dilation was that Padeen was actually some variety of Fae and was causing time shenanigans.

It's somewhere in the A/M thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240

And it's a good theory.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Lost World was probably the first book I can remember that disappointed me. I remember thinking "this feels like he rushed it out so they could make a Jurassic Park sequel", like many of the scenes seemed tailor-made for movie adaptation. Prey I didn't like very much, and obviously nothing need be said about State of Fear.

Who would yall say is the heir to (good) Crichton? Where maybe the science isn't right but it feels authentic and drives the plot, ala chaos theory/genetic engineering in JP?

I mean, if you haven't read Exordia I'd give it a shot. It's got some of the vibe while actually being well written.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Regarding Tim Powers, I think my favorite of his is On Stranger Tides, the VERY loose inspiration for Pirates of the Caribbean. It's much more my style. Weird voodoo Blackbeard searching for the fountain of youth.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Regarding Tim Powers, I think my favorite of his is On Stranger Tides, the VERY loose inspiration for Pirates of the Caribbean. It's much more my style. Weird voodoo Blackbeard searching for the fountain of youth.

In theory I love this. In practice I found it sooo draggy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Nevis posted:

All of powers' books drag a bit for me, until they don't. There's almost always a moment where they click and take off, though a couple never did for me.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

All of powers' books drag a bit for me, until they don't.

Whereas I found after a third book of his I'm not willing to put up with it any more, because the pay off while rewarding doesn't offset the initial drudgery, and in that time I can churn through a half dozen books for something that's engaging start to finish.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Jagged Orbit by John Brunner - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5X5O4U/

Cold Iron (Masters & Mages #1) by Miles Cameron - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079L5669Y/

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Miles Cameron has been very hit or miss for me, no inbetween

hit: the red knight & artifact space
miss: masters & mages, age of bronze

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

Same here. On the other hand, I loved the hell out of Stress of Her Regard which is much slower-paced; I think it was because there's a lot more mystery to that story.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I did listen to the audiobooks, they're very well narrated by Bronson Pinchot, so that may have gotten me through some of the parts that may have otherwise dragged for me.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Powers’ entire schtick is spending half the book on setup so that all the pieces come together in the second half. I like it enough I’ve read most of his novels.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
There was some discussion in here a couple weeks back about a movie, The Empty Man, that people were pretty enthused about. I've just paused watching it to ask the folks who liked it: if I've realized basically from the start of the film that this is a tulpa story, with everything that implies about its progression and resolution, am I still going to get much out of the rest of this surprisingly long movie?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kestral posted:

There was some discussion in here a couple weeks back about a movie, The Empty Man, that people were pretty enthused about. I've just paused watching it to ask the folks who liked it: if I've realized basically from the start of the film that this is a tulpa story, with everything that implies about its progression and resolution, am I still going to get much out of the rest of this surprisingly long movie?

I also worked it out pretty early and I still enjoyed the rest of the film. It didn't really feel like a story that was reliant on a twist, and watching the pieces start to fall into place for the characters was fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Europe in Autumn is about a Estonian chef becoming a spy-courier in a "30 minutes in the future" setting where everybody else in Europe, including EURail, decided to do Brexit too, and then only at the very end does it introduce the supernatural stuff.