Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If you use Lloyds Bank in the UK, one of the deals you can enable in the app for the next couple of days is 25% (up to £2) cashback on a kindle book.

I always forget to check the rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

So, the 3 body problem. Is it worth reading?

The show had me rolling my eyes a lot with the ready player one stuff and shoehorned sentimentality related to one of the characters getting sick. However the overal setup of the plot intrigues me. I'm willing to wager a lot of stuff in the show has been added to the original story. Does the book series come to some sort of satisfying conclusion?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

nah. neat china stuff but kinda a stiff read.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The book is boring as gently caress. The sequel is even worse. Not gonna read book 3.

Some good/fun ideas but absolute poo poo grasp of pacing, tension, characters, dialogue, narrative momentum, etc.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Ugh, I'll let it slide then, I don't want to get Silo'd again.

Also, after these Dune books I'm sure my goodwill tank will be depleted for along time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

GrandpaPants posted:

The book is boring as gently caress. The sequel is even worse. Not gonna read book 3.

Some good/fun ideas but absolute poo poo grasp of pacing, tension, characters, dialogue, narrative momentum, etc.

it's really p bad, though with some neat ideas.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mikojan posted:

The show had me rolling my eyes a lot with the ready player one stuff and shoehorned sentimentality related to one of the characters getting sick. However the overal setup of the plot intrigues me. I'm willing to wager a lot of stuff in the show has been added to the original story. Does the book series come to some sort of satisfying conclusion?

I really enjoyed all three books, although the first part of book 2 is a bit cringe worthy. If you like the plot and dislike the sentimental character stuff (which was almost all a creation of the show) then I think they're well worth reading

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
if you think the characters are flat in the first two books…

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
it's ok

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you can appreciate books purely for the sci-fi concepts then yes 3bp is worth reading. But the characters suck, the author has very weird ideas about gender and women, and the exposition is done almost entirely by characters going on 5-10 page monologues in which they explain everything like a robot. The overall narrative... Interesting. You never really expect the major plot points, but in a good way I guess.

Honestly it's weird that they got so popular, which is a testament I guess to how interesting some of the science fiction concepts are.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

voiceless anal fricative posted:

If you can appreciate books purely for the sci-fi concepts then yes 3bp is worth reading. But the characters suck, the author has very weird ideas about gender and women, and the exposition is done almost entirely by characters going on 5-10 page monologues in which they explain everything like a robot. The overall narrative... Interesting. You never really expect the major plot points, but in a good way I guess.

Honestly it's weird that they got so popular, which is a testament I guess to how interesting some of the science fiction concepts are.

This is pretty much how I felt. The ideas were so interesting I just didn't care that the characters weren't

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The downside of their success is that some Western readers bring themselves to the conclusion that the books are written that way because it is the conventional fashion for Chinese literature to have bad characterization. We’re talking exaggerated “the oriental mind does not value human individuals like we do” stuff.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2024

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mikojan posted:

The second and third books are awful. God I hate that series, the utter contempt Cixin Liu has for women and any society more liberal than a totalitarian hellscape is palpable. If you want Big Ideas SF that covers some of the same ground as the latter parts of that series, but did it first and with better prose (albeit not scintillating prose, granted), the Xeelee Sequence is where it's at, and has 100% less sexy robot ladies with katanas committing genocide while screaming about reclaiming human dignity through collectivism.

If you're in the mood for Big Sci-Fi Ideas though, I'll also recommend the palate-cleanser I went to hatereading 3BP and its sequels: QNTM's Valuable Humans in Transit and Fine Structure. Absolutely wild stuff that is also reasonably well-written and wasn't authored by someone writing in the worst traditions of Golden Age SF.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

FPyat posted:

The downside of their success is that some Western readers bring themselves to the conclusion that the books are written that way because it is the conventional fashion for Chinese literature to have bad characterization.

It doesn't help that the other main Chinese SF/F series that gets recommended is Bridge of Birds

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Might be UK only, but the excellent HOUSE OF OPEN WOUNDS is less then two quid for today only

https://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Open-Wounds-Tyrant-Philosophers-ebook/dp/B0CHHZL9KC/

I reckon you can probably start without reading CITY OF LAST CHANCES first with only minor niggles (though I would recommend the first book as well)

Also book 3 DAYS OF SHATTERED FAITH is now up for preorder (Dec 5th release) for a decent price, I just put it in my queue.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FPyat posted:

The downside of their success is that some Western readers bring themselves to the conclusion that the books are written that way because it is the conventional fashion for Chinese literature to have bad characterization.

I have heard that it's terribly clunky in the chinese as well, but that's something I'm primed to believe so I distrust it instinctively.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
If anything, "Authors of Big Idea sci-fi cannot write a character to save their lives" should be seen as a universal constant, not an avenue for division.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sinatrapod posted:

If anything, "Authors of Big Idea sci-fi cannot write a character to save their lives" should be seen as a universal constant, not an avenue for division.

Someone should write a book where that's the big sci fi idea...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sebmojo posted:

I have heard that it's terribly clunky in the chinese as well, but that's something I'm primed to believe so I distrust it instinctively.
in general I am also primed to believe that something clunky in translation is often because it was clunky in the original (because translators want to do as good a job as they can :shobon:) so I also would believe it, with no specific nationality required

that said I also cannot confirm and I don't disagree with that distrust

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Style wise, it's pretty similar to Clarke or Asimov. Not up to modern standards of characterisation, but nothing to do with the author's nationality.

fermun posted:

It doesn't help that the other main Chinese SF/F series that gets recommended is Bridge of Birds

Interesting definition of "Chinese" here...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I liked the first book a whole hell of a lot more than the second, and I do think that's down to translation quality. But the book is just fundamentally flawed, characters paper thin, and strange excursions into magical realism. I don't think you can do magical realism in hard sci fi.

A nitpick that may not bother you is that his neologisms loving suck. "Wall-facer" "Sword-holder', I like cool neologisms in sci fi, you know like cyberspace or zensunni wanderer, awkward ones always stick out to me and the ones in 3BP are the worst I've come across. I get that it's a translation issue, that "wall-facer" is a direct reference to a common chinese saying but it sounds bad in English.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think it's cool and intriguing...very simple words used to create an uneasy image...why is he facing the wall? Are we in the Blair Witch Project? Am I stupid?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mikojan posted:

I read the books a few years ago and just got done watching S1 of the show. I was really impressed with the adaptation because they made the plot comprehensible, and I had assumed a lot of the wallfacer internal monologue stuff would be unfilmable.

I think if you enjoyed the plot of the show, you'd enjoy the books. The books do have deep flaws, but the show didn't really gently caress around with the major plot beats.

I didn't think the ship slicing scene could be portrayed so well. The show did a really good job imo, almost makes me forgive DB&DW for the end of GoT

e: and it does have a conclusion thats not "god did it"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I still can't believe that the GoT ruiner it's the same guy who wrote the trippy nerd book Lucky Wander Boy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I think it's cool and intriguing...very simple words used to create an uneasy image...why is he facing the wall? Are we in the Blair Witch Project? Am I stupid?

I am your wall breaker: no the wall isn't the important part, it's the facing of the wall. Should be "Guy Turner"

Harold Fjord posted:

I still can't believe that the GoT ruiner it's the same guy who wrote the trippy nerd book Lucky Wander Boy

The other guy, Benioff, wrote City of Thieves, which is excellent historical fiction about the siege of Leningrad that uses the circumstances to stray into surreal horror

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 26, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I just want you to know that I see this and appreciate it.

The books were okay. Writing sucked, ideas were good. I must say that the show was better having read the books first, because it helped clarify why they made some of the decisions that they did (like splitting one character into several).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Sinatrapod posted:

:hmmyes: Also, it's not like there hasn't been rampant sexism in English language sci-fi.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The books were okay. Writing sucked, ideas were good.

The writing was passable in the first two books, and the reason the books are so well regarded is that the ideas are intriguing. The Dark Forest hypothesis as an answer to the Fermi Paradox is colloquially known as The Dark Forest hypothesis entirely because of the books. One of the things that's interesting to me is that the first book's translation is faithful to the original, but there's a big change in having the Cultural Revolution and Red Guard's execution of Ye Wenjie's father take place at the start whereas in the original book it was placed in the middle of the story so as to reduce the chance it would get censored. I think the English translation works all the better for that change, it foregrounds why Ye Wenjie does what she does.

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, that's similar to how I feel about my suspicion that the books might not have gotten published if Cixin Liu had written them starting in 2024 instead of in 2004.

e: Also, mark me down for the Wall-Facer Is a Cool Sci-Fi Term defense corps, I think it's a neat as hell phrase, and it tells you what their job is!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FPyat posted:

The downside of their success is that some Western readers bring themselves to the conclusion that the books are written that way because it is the conventional fashion for Chinese literature to have bad characterization. We’re talking exaggerated “the oriental mind does not value human individuals like we do” stuff.

I just read the "about the author" page and it said former engineer and it all made sense. Engineer brain transcends culture

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Kestral posted:

If you're in the mood for Big Sci-Fi Ideas though, I'll also recommend the palate-cleanser I went to hatereading 3BP and its sequels: QNTM's Valuable Humans in Transit and Fine Structure. Absolutely wild stuff that is also reasonably well-written and wasn't authored by someone writing in the worst traditions of Golden Age SF.

I haven't read all those stories in this collection but what I have is good. "Lena" is written like a Wikipedia article. That format really works for talking about mapping out a human brain and the possible side effects of that.

Edit: Regarding 3bp. I didn't like how the aliens effectively brute force solves the titular problem but then it's revealed to be moot because their planet will fly into their sun anyway. Wouldn't every planet be uninhabitable by that metric? The earth isn't always going to be in a habitable zone around the sun.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 26, 2024

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

habeasdorkus posted:

Seconding this, Oryx and Crake was real good dystopian fiction.

Yeah, Oryx and Crake is great, maybe by favorite Atwood. The sequels are pretty good too, though more conventional.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:v:

Safety Biscuits posted:

Style wise, it's pretty similar to Clarke or Asimov. Not up to modern standards of characterisation, but nothing to do with the author's nationality.

Yeah, it's pretty much in keeping with "Golden Age" SF in terms of characters (and gender politics). They're definitely "novels of ideas" and their characters exist to explain and experience those ideas rather than be people one can believe in.

I think the first and third books are good. The second suffers from a very flat translation, but it still features some wild SF conceits. Joel Martinsen's prose is just more dry than Ken Liu's, and I suspect the original Chinese is not very poetic to begin with.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

The Dark Forest hypothesis as an answer to the Fermi Paradox is colloquially known as The Dark Forest hypothesis entirely because of the books.

Yeah, but the concept was around since forever.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:dudsmile:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

One of the things that's interesting to me is that the first book's translation is faithful to the original, but there's a big change in having the Cultural Revolution and Red Guard's execution of Ye Wenjie's father take place at the start whereas in the original book it was placed in the middle of the story so as to reduce the chance it would get censored. I think the English translation works all the better for that change, it foregrounds why Ye Wenjie does what she does.

Oh, that's interesting. And I definitely agree, it's better off occur chronologically instead of making it a flashback reveal later on.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

zoux posted:

I liked the first book a whole hell of a lot more than the second, and I do think that's down to translation quality.

Ken Liu translated the first and third books, but the second book was translated by somebody else and it is noticeably worse imo.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

Also really interesting to see how well done the 'protagonist has a monstrous past' twist was done in CC, and how flat / missable it was in IP.

"Major character is really someone else under a false identity" is a recurring motif in Reynolds' stuff, I can think of at least four more examples.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

"Major character is really someone else under a false identity" is a recurring motif in Reynolds' stuff, I can think of at least four more examples.

The worst part is I was expecting a twist like that to happen in Revenger and Eversion where it didn't

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
How do people feel about the destroyermen series? I have them all on audible and have almost finished them, but the last book has a new narrator and is a little hard to get into because of that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mystes posted:

The worst part is I was expecting a twist like that to happen in Revenger and Eversion where it didn't

Revenger book 2 had one, the guy they recruit who used to work for the book one villain is really somebody else, and Eversion's plot is basically about the narrator's refusal to acknowledge their actual identity and another character's attempt to change that.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

voiceless anal fricative posted:

If you can appreciate books purely for the sci-fi concepts then yes 3bp is worth reading.
the exposition is done almost entirely by characters going on 5-10 page monologues in which they explain everything like a robot.

The action sequences in later books are much the same. If you have ever enjoyed reading Wikipedia synopses, you may enjoy 3bp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
The prose in 3bp is often as alien as the concepts, which kind of made reading them like finding a pulp paperback that fell through a portal from one of the Fringe parallel universes.

Then again, I thought the best part of Blindsight, by far, was the appendix. YMMV