Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (Song of Ice and Fire) by George RR Martin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S3R6HAE/

Red Rising (#1) by Pierce Brown - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

Dhalgren by Samuel R Delany - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE2JK7G/

The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3S9TLS/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm re-reading the hyperion cantos and the religious elements stand out in an odd way now knowing how dan simmons went nuts after 9/11

i'm not as down as others on the second half of the quadrilogy - transforming the setting into a post-fall theocracy founded on a macguffin from the first two books was interesting.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I’m re-reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson, and tbh finding it kind of tedious.

Every other page is “oh look, another random thing that Stephenson has to spend a page bringing you up to speed on the history of” or “oh look, some other random bullshit theory with a stupid name that some Fraa has to explain”.

And what was the point of the whole “going over the pole” sojourn? It takes a long time and he’s basically just slogging around. Stephenson can be so exhausting.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
In retrospect, Colonel Kassad was an interesting example of an author trying to write “one of the good ones.”

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's the shortest way to Russia.

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010
re-reading Artefact Space, and then try to reread Weber, and man, Cameron is so much better at this than Weber is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He was always better at grills

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I would pay good money to see General Battuta rewrite the rest of the Honorverse, not just Mission of Honor. For anyone who hasn't seen the first one, behold.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

shrike82 posted:

transforming the setting into a post-fall theocracy founded on a macguffin from the first two books was interesting.

I really enjoyed Endymion for that reason. Captain de Soya, the Pax, their interstellar logistics, etc. were so sick.

But then I DNF’d The Rise of Endymion and I doubt I’ll pick it back up. Couldn’t get past the romance between the grown man and the child with future-adult-brain or whatever. I know it was present in both books, but the ratio of cool space Catholics to creepy poo poo really nosedived in the last book for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reading some Greg Bear, Hull Zero Three, bout to start Forge of God. Just finished blood music, or “That Escalated Quickly: The Novel”. I was getting some serious Crichton vibes in the beginning, but the scope expanded somewhat. The guy who said he didn’t like Crichton because his books lacked lasting consequences: I think you’d like this one.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Blood Music is so fuckin creepy man. Man! Zombies ain't got nothin on this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Have you read the original short story, I’m curious what he added. It’s still a pretty short book. My guess would be the survivors in LA and Brooklyn

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Anyone got recommendations for a good bit of exploration-based fiction? I just read Lovercraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and I realized I have kind of missed reading that old-school style of exploration fiction. Or something like Rendezvous with Rama (original one obviously). There's just something fascinating for me about people exploring completely alien or strange places.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gully Foyle posted:

Anyone got recommendations for a good bit of exploration-based fiction? I just read Lovercraft's At the Mountains of Madness, and I realized I have kind of missed reading that old-school style of exploration fiction. Or something like Rendezvous with Rama (original one obviously). There's just something fascinating for me about people exploring completely alien or strange places.
Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. Its sequels are great too, although they focus on different aspects of the issue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gully Foyle posted:

If you really want the old school classics of this, try King Solomon's Mines or _She_ by H. Rider Haggard.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

zoux posted:

Have you read the original short story, I’m curious what he added. It’s still a pretty short book. My guess would be the survivors in LA and Brooklyn

My vague and old memory is that the short story basically just covers the first part of the novel, ending when only about three people are infected but it's clear that it's going to get everywhere

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

My vague and old memory is that the short story basically just covers the first part of the novel, ending when only about three people are infected but it's clear that it's going to get everywhere

Oh wow that is a huge follow on. So I guess all the strong anthropic principle/observer effect breaking the local universe and noosphere and getting downloaded into noocyte form was all new? Does explain the shift in tone from taut technothriller to world spanning apocalypse tho

Gully Foyle posted:

Hull Zero Three is nothing but exploration and not knowing wtf is going on

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Complete Revanche Cycle by Craig Schaefer - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VZRD8D/

King's Dragon (Crown of Stars #1) by Kate Elliott - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFXJKCG/

Thief's Magic (Millennium's Rule #1) by Trudi Canavan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EXTQV2A/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hate Hull Zero Three!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

I’m re-reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson, and tbh finding it kind of tedious.

Every other page is “oh look, another random thing that Stephenson has to spend a page bringing you up to speed on the history of” or “oh look, some other random bullshit theory with a stupid name that some Fraa has to explain”.

And what was the point of the whole “going over the pole” sojourn? It takes a long time and he’s basically just slogging around. Stephenson can be so exhausting.

Also there’s weird anachronisms. Like he just had a character use the word “métier”, which is a French loan word. It’s supposed to be set on a different world. Was there a France on this other world? I know I’m being pedantic but it’s a little weird.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I love weird anachronisms that force the reader to acknowledge that everything is a translation convention.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Like if it’s just in the text, whatever. But a character speaking the word makes it part of the history of that world, doesn’t it?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Every other word is also historically contingent, though, we’re just less aware of it. Like if someone’s “taken aback” in a secondary world, that should be pretty immersion breaking, but it’s not because we don’t know/notice that this common expression is a fairly particular bit of slang.

What’s familiar becomes invisible but that invisibility conceals its history. We treat what we recognize as default and justified, but it’s really peculiar to a time and place.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Every other word is also historically contingent, though, we’re just less aware of it. Like if someone’s “taken aback” in a secondary world, that should be pretty immersion breaking, but it’s not because we don’t know/notice that this common expression is a fairly particular bit of slang.

What’s familiar becomes invisible but that invisibility conceals its history. We treat what we recognize as default and justified, but it’s really peculiar to a time and place.

Hm true, that is interesting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

General Battuta posted:

Like if someone’s “taken aback” in a secondary world, that should be pretty immersion breaking, but it’s not because we don’t know/notice that this common expression is a fairly particular bit of slang.

Especially if the person using it is from a culture with no maritime tradition.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Awkward Davies posted:

Also there’s weird anachronisms. Like he just had a character use the word “métier”, which is a French loan word. It’s supposed to be set on a different world. Was there a France on this other world? I know I’m being pedantic but it’s a little weird.

This is a really funny complaint for this book in particular

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gully Foyle posted:

Algis Budrys’ Rogue Moon is exactly what you want.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

This is a really funny complaint for this book in particular

It’s not my only complaint, just one from the most recent page I had read.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Its also incredibly funny for 'loanwords' to stick out because English is basically all loanwords and weird merging of other languages. Like does it break immersion when the word Pork is used because that's also derived from a French loanword while a more 'pure' way to express it in English would be pigflesh.

Language in general is complicated and highly attuned to a specific time and culture. And expectations for how it works for other times and cultures are also seen through that same view and choices are often taken to translate things into terms the viewer/reader will understand or emotionally resonate with better. Like if you're familiar with the TV show Deadwood there's a fascinating behind the scenes where they talk about how they updated the swearing because if you use period accurate ones, it didn't have the same emotional impact for viewers as a visceral 'gently caress' or 'poo poo'.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2024

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah and why do these "aliens" use English pronunciation and stuff?!? It should be illegible alien speech inside quotes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Zore posted:

Its also incredibly funny for 'loanwords' to stick out because English is basically all loanwords and weird merging of other languages. Like does it break immersion when the word Pork is used because that's also derived from a French loanword while a more 'pure' way to express it in English would be pigflesh.

And of course the pig/pork divide (along with sheep/mutton and cow/beef) are themselves reflective of class divisions, with the working phrase - the animal - associated with the lower-class English word while the upper-class French word becomes associated with the product.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
One of my favorite jokes in a fantasy novel, I think it was in a Discworld book, was where they have the solution to a wordplay puzzle and its absolute nonsense in English and there's a little footnote that says it works in the original Morporkian.

For as much as people dunk on that Star Trek episode with the alien that can only communicate by saying snippets of cultural stories, English and most other languages are about a half step from functioning exactly like that already.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 27, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I hate Hull Zero Three!

Yeah I was only able to finish after I started skimming the paragraphs upon paragraphs of unparsable descriptions of mysterious debris filled volumes

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Zore posted:

One of my favorite jokes in a fantasy novel, I think it was in a Discworld book, was where they have the solution to a wordplay puzzle and its absolute nonsense in English and there's a little footnote that says it works in the original Morporkian.

For as much as people dunk on that Star Trek episode with the alien that can only communicate by saying snippets of cultural stories, English and most other languages are about a half step from functioning exactly like that already.

Yeah, pretty much every abstract concept uses metaphor to describe it that’s so dead it’s no longer visible. Reading https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphors_We_Live_By, I was thinking about how an sff novel might better represent another culture by coming up with a completely different set of metaphors for common concepts, like not thinking of time as a limited resource as we do. I noticed while translating some hieroglyphics the metaphor “beatifying time” to mean leisure, which is such a foreign way to think about time that I’ve pondered it for a while.

Considering an sff novel a story translated into English is something else I think about a lot. Like in reading translated fiction, I’ve noticed the tendency to either completely localize it so it uses common English idioms in place of the original ones, or the more unusual choice of directly translating foreign idioms to better represent the original culture. The same choice is heavily skewed the same way in sff, probably just due to the relatability of the former and the latter is more effort. I really prefer the latter tho

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Zore posted:

For as much as people dunk on that Star Trek episode with the alien that can only communicate by saying snippets of cultural stories

It's one of the most beloved episodes and show up on top 10 lists all the time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

thotsky posted:

It's one of the most beloved episodes and show up on top 10 lists all the time.

Huh really? I'm mostly familiar with tedious nerds bitching about how the universal translator didn't work and calling it 'unrealistic'. Glad that's not the general perception, I really like that episode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zore posted:

Huh really? I'm mostly familiar with tedious nerds bitching about how the universal translator didn't work and calling it 'unrealistic'. Glad that's not the general perception, I really like that episode.

Yeah I feel like its people making fun of it (because it is silly) while also recognizing that its a cool concept

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Gully Foyle posted:

If you like a horror slant, try The Hollow Places by Kingfisher.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Zore posted:

Philip J. Fry, his eyes narrowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Kalman posted:

Algis Budrys’ Rogue Moon is exactly what you want.

Just a generally safe recommendation. The twist has been picked up by nearly everything since, but it's a classic for a reason.