Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Neurosis posted:

If you're fine with this kind of setup and conflict, I strongly recommend the Milkweed Triptych by Ian Tregillis, starting with Bitter Seeds. Nazis develop superpowered soldiers in WW2; British warlocks are forced out of hiding to fight back. It's way less goofy than it sounds, and is largely a reflection on the personal costs of devotion to duty. A bit depressing, but nonetheless very good.

I actually sauntered in to ask a question about another Tregillis series, but I'll second this. It's a story about wizards in WWII, only it remembers that war is a horrible thing. It's not going to bring tears to the eyes of hardened critics with its prose or anything, but it's a solid series if you can buy into the premise, which is pretty easy. It's Bletchley Park as magic, without the bad pun inherent in that pitch.

Is the Alchemy Wars series worth picking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Steel Frame good. Japanese covers good.

But also, about Steel Frame directly: The real strength of the story is the pressure it presents - here are these fallible, squishy humans who are constantly in danger from things larger and older than themselves. The book was incredibly good at generating that particular brand of anxiety, and then surprise, zombies from beyond the stars. I'd have taken even a plain old BDO story over space robot zombies in general, but it's especially a shame given how taut the book is otherwise.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

You want The Iron Dragon's Daughter by Michael Swanwick, first part of an extremely loose trilogy. It is exactly what you're looking for.

Maybe Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams (cyberpunk, but it's fantasy), too.

Was Mother as much of a non-stop misery grind as Daughter?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Kestral posted:

Would love recommendations for more generational stories in SF or fantasy. I saw Centennial early in life and for all its faults, I have never stopped being fascinated by that sort of story.

On the off chance you haven't read them, Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt and Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns. They're both not exactly generational, which is the point of both books, but they deal with groups of people changing over time.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

space marine todd posted:

How is the Xeelee Sequence? I saw that somewhere recommended for fans of The Culture.

That's an odd recommendation, because while I like the Xelee books, they're not very similar to the Culture novels at all. Baxter can't write characters beyond "the wry hero," "the sad hero," and "anti-science villain." It's definitely an ideas over style series, but they are pretty cool ideas. Get ready for a lot of deep time.

Vacuum Diagrams is probably the place to start, since it's a nice sampling of the whole enterprise.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The upholstery over the stuffing was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

packetmantis posted:

This doscussion is only reinforcing my opinion that the Culture books are for nerds who want to masturbate about the ideas therein rather than anything about the books or story themselves.

The best Culture book is about the human costs of Special Circumstances loving around in another society because they had a Good Idea, and how all the magic hypertechnology in the universe can't actually make you happy. I'd go so far as to say Look to Windward is the best thing Banks ever wrote.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Sixteen Ways to Imagine You Are Siri Keeton

How to Pretend You Are Conscious and Get Away With It.

Alternatively, Sixteen Ways to Imagine You Are Siri Keeton Sixteen Ways to Imagine You Are Siri Keeton.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

got some chores tonight posted:

I read Shards of Earth due to the posts in this thread! It was good, I liked it. It feel like it's just competent space opera more so that anything transcendent, but that's perfectly satisfactory to me in a genre with a lot of amateurish writing and/or fascist politics. I haven't read any of his other books before and I'm not sure I will (I'm not sure I'll enjoy the spider book and it sounds like everything else is kind of bad) but maybe the thread will convince me otherwise!

I also just finished Shards, and it was what I'd wanted from Inhibitor Phase after all.

The spider book was pretty dang good and you should at least give it a try. The first dog book's not bad either, though I'd give the second one a pass unless you're desperately craving more.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

freebooter posted:

Do read The Golden Globe - everyone should read The Golden Globe because it's just genuinely great. Good, silly/serious fun.

The book is mostly this, but as fair warning to other folks there is some significant and monstrous child abuse early in the story. Golden Globe spoilers: Valentine repeatedly almost-drowning Sparky in the tub until he could perfectly recite Shakespeare was easily the most hosed up thing I've ever read from Varley by a country mile.

Which is contextually presented as abjectly capital-W Wrong, and for somebody who wrote the books that required the Titanide sex chart I don't really feel like Varley's getting his rocks off while he writes in general. Just fair warning for folks who get bothered by that kind of thing.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Have you read this delightful Hugo award winning story?

[Mod edit: link deleted: let's not, not even as an example of a thing that is awful]

Sure haven't, and I think I'll keep things that way.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Stuporstar posted:

I don’t know but I love the coinage and hope he does :allears:

I mean, the literal meaning of the word is to cause or bring about from Ye Olde English. It's an entirely legit construction.

And if you're interested in the use of the word "wreaking" without association with the word "havoc," have I got a series for you.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Diamond Age is really Stephenson, for good and for ill. There are neat ideas in there that get bogged down in explaining the thing I'm interested in to you, at length, and the usual cringy content and bad ideas about people who aren't white beardy hackmaster types.

The bit where he explodes the cyberpunk guy because You Didn't Understand Snow Crash, Plebes was pretty good, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sibling of TB posted:

You think between two fires isn't going to be horny?

Though maybe it's different when it's not the pov character that's horning it up.

I know, right? Right from the get-go with the satan-eel, like - just jerk off, weirdo!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Destiny had an expansion come out.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The Greydon Saunders of Monte Cristo
Greydon Saunders, but a clone wearing a hoodie for the hip 90s
Greydon Saunder, winner of a Golden Globe for the makeup used to make Greydon Saunders look like Bruce Willis
Greydon Saunders of Zur-en-arrh
Planet of the Greydons, about a topsy-turvey world where libertarian is slave to Saunders
The Usual Greydons
The Sixth Greydon, it turns out this gag was dead the whole time

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Swanwick pro picks are

The Best of Michael Swanwick is what it says on the tin, his picks for his best short stories. They're all at least good, with some of them being superlative.
Dancing With Bears, which takes one of his best short stories about a dog and his man and turns it into a full-length heist novel.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Pushing Ice always seemed to me like a spiritual cousin to one of my most favorite sci-fi books, Heart of the Comet by Brin and Baxter. Very similar vibes, also takes place on a dang comet.

Finished Ship of Fools and the atmosphere was pretty cool but I do hate that they never give even the slightest clue to the nature or motivation of the aliens. They hung a thousand babies on meathooks, I wanna know how come

Because Catholicism. Seriously.

Soldano is by accident or intent correct that the ship is evil, but he's also the highest spiritual figure available to us in the story - mentally sub out "Bishop" for "Pope" and it makes more sense, because the story positions him as doctrinally infallible. If he says it's bad news, and the Argonos needs to get out of there, he's correct in the eyes of whatever higher power exists in this story. Whether he's being manipulative, actually earnestly concerned for the ship, or because game recognize game when it comes to capital-E evil is unclear, and I would be shocked if that wasn't intentional. But also it doesn't make any difference.

Veronica is unquestionably the most moral person in the story, but regardless of her moral intent, her beliefs are heretical. It doesn't matter if Soldano was honest and her death really was an accident, she was dead the second she put on the collar.

The horror is not the thousands of tortured dead bodies, it's that the universe is playing by Catholic rules, and that may or may not include a loving deity, but it sure as hell includes Satan. It doesn't matter if you grasp what the plan was, or whether humans can understand the aliens. You didn't follow the rules, hosed around with Evil, and got got. It's not your place to know, or the place of anybody in the story except the Bishop, and even that's not certain.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

What do people think "cis" stands for? I'm going crazy here trying to figure it out.

I just assumed all the Fox talking heads were really obsessed with the former Soviet bloc.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The agony and the ecstasy of a blown snipe.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

I've always wondered how a guy who wrote Flashback (a book in which Obama destroys America) or those weird blog posts (in which he time traveled back to visit himself and warn against the future caliphate) copes with the passage of time. Like, Obama came, Obama went, America's still here. The global caliphate hasn't materialized. How do you rationalize this stuff?

I guess Flashback is set in 2034 so we have another 12 years to discover that climate change is fake, sell the government to the Japanese, yield the southwest to Mexican supergangs and establish global caliphate. Keep it up Dan

Any Day Now is a pretty powerful belief, no matter what it's attached to.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He kicked rear end on the xwing series.

Not a patch on Aaron Allston and his novelized West End campaign.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I recently put a bullet in Yukikaze and Good Luck, Yukikaze by Chohei Kambayshi, and they were a weird experience. The series was talked up to me as "a guy who really likes fighter jets wanted to do his own version of Solaris," which is a near-perfect pitch for me. Unfortunately they didn't stick the landing. Part of my issue is that the first book is clearly a set of short stories bundled up with some post-facto edits made to string things together. The localization was fine - nothing to write home about, nothing to complain about, but it also means there's not a lot of artistry in the English version. As such, you're given a big chunk of somewhat bland words that boil down to "what if there were computers?" and that just isn't that exciting in the 2020s. I was left with the strange feeling of wanting to like something more than I actually did.

I also finally got around to reading Children of Ruin. 's alright. It's following in Children of Time's footsteps and it can't be as shiny and new as its predecessor by definition, but it was a perfectly fine read. I hate to admit to reading Warhammer fiction, but I also grabbed Tchaikovsky's Day of Ascension and enjoyed it more than Ruin. Like, it's 40K licensed fiction, but it actually has cogent if not particularly novel things to say about faith and liberation in the plastic army men book.

General Battuta posted:

I'm so sick of defending you from shivan bombers

It's about time someone said it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

If the concept of the Uplift universe still sounds sort of interesting to anyone after the past page of posts, skip David Brin entirely and go to the original source, which is:

Cordwainer Smith's Underpeople that appear in a bunch of his Instrumentality of Mankind series stories.

Underpeople in the Cordwainer Smith definition are animals physically and mentally uplifted to be near-human in body shape and near-human in intelligence. Underpeople exist as servants for humankind in Smith's universe setting, some Underpeople look really close to humans (the cat-people basically), other Underpeople are essentially slave-labor doing things technology couldn't do perform back when these stories were originally written in the 1950's/1960's.

Just be aware that Cordwainer Smith isn't called the godfather of the furry movement for nothing, and that the origin story of the Instrumentality setting is 175% Nazi white-washing in the best Operation Paperclip sense.

Eh, I'll go to bat for Weird Paul here. I don't think it's out of the realm of science fiction to posit a scenario where a fictitious version of Werner von Braun was not actually a Nazi, contrary to reality. Beyond that, the rest of the Nazis in the Instrumentality stories are portrayed as spectacular fuckups who ended up killing themselves with their doomsday weapons because they weren't up to their own standards of genetic purity, and the unsubtle contrast is that the pre-Instrumentality True Men are brought down because they're up to the same kind of totalitarian eugenicist business. I would never argue that the Smith stories are without some extremely weird baggage, but they come down pretty squarely against eugenics and authoritarianism.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

quantumfoam posted:

The issues I have with the Instrumentality of Mankind origin story aren't really about that stuff, it's that:

-A series of brides teach the "jaded hundreds of years old" hero old-world human values that got lost when humanity turned everything over to computers.
-the hero and his series of brides introduce pre-computerization human culture into the Instrumentality that leads to a spiritual rebirth of mankind
-the brides the hero marries were cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit a long time ago
-the brides are sisters that the hero marries sequentially once the oldest bride becomes too old
-there is a bunch of literal sub-human people running around that act as servants/literal slaves to the hero and brides that is apparently 1000% ok with the old world human values the brides have.
-the brides were cryogenically frozen and launched into space using Nazi Germany era technology
-the brides got cryogenically frozen and shot into high Earth orbit around the peak of World War 2
-the brides are pre-teen German girls that got launched into space/cryogenically frozen to avoid the downfall of the Nazi regime.
-the father of the Germans girls/future brides was 100% not a Nazi but had enough pull with the Nazi regime and Nazi scientists to have free access to cryogenic freezing technology and a bunch of V-2 rockets.
-the pre-teen German girls that got cryogenically frozen and shot into space were born and raised in Germany during Hitler's rise to power but are not totally steeped in Nazi ideology, the author 100% double pinky swears so. wink wink wink.

Don't get me wrong, Linebarger had weird sexual hangups even for a sci-fi writer. Just saying 'cause it's 2022 and everything is the way it is, dude seems against Nazism, and I figure he was in a better position to know the inner workings of Paperclip than anybody else in the field.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't know how orthodox an opinion this is, but IMO Downbelow Station is probably the worst A-U book to start with despite being one of the earliest ones published; it's an extremely dense read and while the Treaty of Pell is central to the setting, the immediate events leading up to it just...aren't that interesting if you aren't already invested. I think it works best after you've read most of the other A-U stuff.

Pride of Chanur is the good poo poo, though, and while it works perfectly fine standalone, there's three more books about Pyanfar Chanur and her swashbuckling crew (and one epilogue book about Hilfy) to pick up if you finish it and want more.

Just as a data point, Downbelow Station was the first A-U book I read and I loved it. I'm probably an outlier, though, since I hated Cyteen and I think I've stopped reading it at least three times.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Benagain posted:

Oh yeah but I just read an intro where a bunch of naval spaceship people are frantically trying to get ready for a dress parade after two years of deployment and it's mentioned three times in five pages that without the cool competent Marines they would never have been ready on time.

It doesn't get any better, because the Marines are also run by a secret cabal of not-Gurkas who can use their influence to radically alter regulations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Joel Shepherd's Spiral Wars?

Yeah. I think it might be okay popcorn if it weren't intentionally written as a doorstopper, but as it is, I just can't get into any of Shepherd's books. Can't win 'em all when it comes to pulp.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Cyteens Ariane Emory is kind of a sex criminal too

I hated the Arianes so much I couldn't finish Cyteen. I don't really have that happen very often, and I suspect that was not the intended reaction, but christ what a monster.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sailor Viy posted:

I'm reading The Rediscovery of Man on recommendation from this thread. It's good, certainly unique. Some stories are very well-written, some clunky, some nakedly homophobic.

The novella "The Dead Lady of Clown Town" has a lot in common with Dune - most obviously, the ultra-rich planet with exclusive control of an immortality drug, but also the motifs of prophecy, telepathy, hypnosis, and an oppressed underclass who are destined to be vindicated. So I looked it up and it came out within a year of Dune, making it unlikely that either writer would have read the other. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or were they both inspired by some other text?

Yeah, it's an interesting set of stories for exactly those reasons. If you haven't done so yet, go ahead and look up the biographical information on the author. I promise you he's one of the weirder human beings ever to write science fiction.

As far as the connection to Dune, it was just the ambient environment at the time. Linebarger and Herbert were just decent enough at writing that we keep reading them, as opposed to all the other also-rans who used the same themes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Stuporstar posted:

Eapecially when everywhere but here, when someone asks for fantasy recs, is immediately swamped by a ton of fanboys going, “Have you read Brandon Sanderson?”

This is only an acceptable question to ask if you are brandishing a bloody axe while wearing your goat-pupil contacts, tbf.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Cicero posted:

What law would this actually break though? A human can look at an artist's work at 'train' themselves off the same style, and that's not illegal because 'reading' a work in order to mimic its style is not illegal, you have to reproduce specific content before you're in trouble.

As for where the art came from that was trained on, that's a good point, so I looked up Stable Diffusion's training data, and wikipedia says

So...I don't think that's illegal? Any time you view a web page with art on it, your computer is already downloading the art, so for this to be illegal I guess you'd need some specific law saying "and then you can't use this to train a machine learning model" or something. Not sure how you'd enforce that, especially if a model is trained somewhere else where said training is still legal, would the model itself then be legal or illegal in your country?

Looking at a picture of Mickey Mouse is not theft of intellectual property; you are not asserting a claim on the image itself, or the likeness of the character. Drawing your own picture of Mickey Mouse for non-public use is not theft because you generated an original work, though you may correctly be accused of plagarism. Photocopying a picture of Mickey Mouse is technically theft, but only becomes legally actionable if you show it to anyone - there's a potential legal carve-out if it's for purposes of parody as would be understood by a hypothetical reasonable person, but historically that has not held water when Disney comes knocking.

Selling several thousand copies of an algorithmically-generated Mickey Mouseses, only he's occasionally got a hosed up eye or his hands turn into tentacles because your processing system is poo poo and pretending you've never heard of this "Mickey the Mouse" is going to get you sued into the dirt, because it is very poorly-disguised theft of a recognizable design that relies on training a computer to reproduce recognizable elements of an existing illustration. Only, see, the feds aren't going to prosecute anyone to protect small artists' work and they don't have the legal resources of a megacorporation, so someone else gets to profit off those artists' work while simultaneously excluding them from their career field.

If I program a Markov chain to regurgitate randomized samples of cultivation fiction by feeding it an input of all the usual Kindle Unlimited suspects, and it is obvious that paragraphs are taken wholesale from the work of others, and I dump hundreds of thousands of copies of this crap onto KU for pennies and kill the entire market except for my creations, that is clearly ethically faulty, it is legally suspect at best, and it is a clear net negative for the written word as an art form and a way to make a living.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Also, in the nicest way I can I think to phrase this, "maybe this poorly-tested and ethically-dubious piece of technology used by corporations to gently caress people is good because it's not explicitly illegal" is one spicy take in this, the science fiction and fantasy thread.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 6, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, that's a combination of angry-posting on my phone and it being early in the morning. "Ethically" is the word I was attempting to write out in response to the guy clapping in the CES audience and wondering when he'll be able to preorder his own Torment Nexus.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

If i put a hundred paintings by an artist up on a wall and think very hard about them then make another painting in the same style i don't have to pay royalties.

This is because internalizing another artist's work and synthesizing a new product is a creative action, which a computer is not currently capable of; Zima Blue this ain't. If you did the thing you described, you would still be producing original artwork, even if it were strongly influenced by your sample artist of choice. You would be making decisions about what aspect of each painting to include or exclude, consciously or not, in addition to the random elements added by your reproduction process - your paints wouldn't be the same, you might have a motor tremor that affects your brush handling, you've got a foot fetish and that changes the framing of your compositions, etc. Your work would likely be criticized as derivative of the original artist, and that might impact both your success and whether or not anyone gave you the time of day. Or you might be the next Lichtenstein, raking in critical acclaim and millions of dollars off of exactly the kind of reproductive process you're describing. Who knows, fine art is bullshit.

What AI art does is comparable to taking paintings directly from an artist before they can be sold, running them through an industrial blender, and feeding the colorful canvas pulp into a mold that got photoreproduced off a Kinkade print.

In fairness, you could argue there might be artistic merit if this were in a gallery space and the viewer was being confronted with the process as the art itself, but it's not. It's entirely a commercial endeavor - insert someone else's images, get cheap knockoffs.

To bring this back around to fiction, Kevin J. Anderson is unquestionably a derivative hack. He's also actually produced a creative work, mostly by himself. If he literally published a Madlib you wrote with the blanks filled in with "ultraspice" and "Paaulo" and so on, that would not be an original work of art, and he would be profiting off your labor.

pseudorandom name posted:

The bits of the input image were copied and manipulated into the ML model, making the ML model a derivative work of every single input image, and the bits of the ML model were copied and manipulated into the output, making the output a derivative work of the ML model and by an extension a derivative work of the original input images.

Transformative and derivative works are established in laws based around the assumption of legal agency on the part of the person creating the work. Without a conscious person in the loop, you're in a hell of a legal quandry. I don't have an answer for this part of things.

However, legally sampling a song requires getting a license for both the actual recording you're sampling and the musical composition. Unless the recording artist or their publisher is uncommonly generous, this involves a contract and money exchanging hands. The dipshits running these programs are not only not licensing the art they're using as their sources, they're often deliberately not doing so, like that rear end in a top hat who outright told Stephen Stalenhag he was going to steal his art and put him out of business.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

All I will say is that there is an element of this that is on topic. Which is, the thread has in the past had conversations about whether it's good or bad that fantasy is becoming increasingly algorithm-driven, increasingly about shifting startup costs onto the author and away from the publisher, increasingly about creating product in huge volume to hit very targeted niches (often by exploiting the algorithm).

People have often talked about these trends as democratizing, or grassroots, or even 'indie' - literally independent. But of course they're not that at all. They're a process of centralization, where all artistic production is priced and published by a single monolith that pretends to be more democratic because, instead of rejecting most work, it accepts all work and then leaves most of it to die.

I can see nothing bad, personally, about the creation of art falling under the control of computer people. They've only had good effects on every other sector of public discourse.

Actual serious question: how would you go about creating a democratized publisher? Assume we can't decapitate the board and nationalize Penguin Random House.

Best I've got is to have a bunch of authors successful enough to have discretionary funds to come together to create their own co-op imprint, buy some press time, and promote the work of newer authors in addition to all the other work they do. I also don't see any group with that level of income and stature being both in a position and inclined to share, let alone the shop succeeding without someone really aggressively riding herd on the staff/creators, staying focused for more than ten minutes, no affairs, and so on.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I thought Scanner was better prose than UBIK, personally. But my favorite PKD story is still "Second Variety," so I'm kinda basic.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

hi, I'm not dead,

Hi, Dad, I'm-

oh

oh no

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

It's part of the standard mod training package :eng101:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

FPyat posted:

A person took issue with me stating that science fiction protagonists tend to be scientists, military officers, and other technically minded occupations. Thought I could only say that because of ignorance of the work of the past fifty years. I appreciate the desire to propagate a broader view of what the genre is and can be, but I stand by my statement.

I mean, yeah, there's a lot of classic sci-fi that's about manly men of science doing science things who either go to far or complete the author's thought experiment, and as a result there's a lot of work inspired by those stories. Detective fiction is a genre famously about "an [X], but they solve mysteries" and I'd still wager the majority of mystery protagonists are current for former cops, professional Poirots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I'm on book 3 of Marko Kloos's Frontlines series now and still enjoying it quite a bit.

Straightforward mil-SF but competently done. The earlier books are all on KU, not sure about the later ones (book #8 came out this year). The aliens are 80 feet tall. Not sure that's really a spoiler but it comes up kinda late in book 1.

At what point do the protagonists defeat them with the combined powers of love and music?