Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I bounced off The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet about halfway through, it was cozy but it never felt like there was actually anything at stake (I really wanted to like it more). I'm currently going through The Quantum Magician and it's pretty fun if not a little predictable so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Owlkill posted:

Children of Time is fantastic - can anyone recommend any of Tchaikovsky's other stuff? He seems to be a pretty prolific writer.

I really enjoyed The Expert System's Brother

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Came to post Yet Another Recommendation for Steel Frame. Parts have felt like a slog, but that might be me internalizing how beat up and worn down Rook gets or maybe the detailed descriptions of the different kinds of rust and muck and grease that a centuries-old dreadnought the size of (several?) cities apparently builds up.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I finished The Claw of the Conciliator and I'm not sure if I want to continue reading the next two books. I think I'm just getting exhausted with trying to pick apart Severian's account of events and how they relate to what's actually going on in the rest of the world. I got really frustrated reading through the script for Dr. Talos's play, but that might just be because I'm an unlearned pleb.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I just finished Ancestral Night by Elizabeth Bear and I'm in the mood for more space opera along similar lines. Any recommendations? I was thinking about starting Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space series, but it's not available on kindle yet (???). I've pretty much converted over to reading everything on my phone at this point.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Are you not in the US? Revelation Space was on kindle a while back. I mean, I got it from Amazon on mine.

I'm in the US, but this is what shows up. Happened for a couple other titles I was looking at picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Permutation City by Greg Egan has some really interesting things to say about the nature of consciousness and how it arises from the relationship and interaction of _things_. I DNF because I suffered a crippling bout of existential and philosophical dread. Depending on the specifics, I'd be ok chucking myself through a star trek transporter, but gently caress uploading my mind. I ain't doing that poo poo in this late-stage capitalist hellscape we live in.