Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If I really enjoyed the Quantum Thief/Jean Le Flambeur series, especially the later books where the whole fundamental structure of the universe is going apeshit, what else should I check out?

It's not exactly that, but Banks' Excession has characters dealing with something advanced and inexplicable (and Culture novels are always really fun).

Anyway, I've gotten most of the way through Gideon the Ninth, and it really reminds of me a Gene Wolf story told by one of Stross's Laundry Files protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Rook is incredibly aggravating in a men-writing-women-badly sort of way. There's lots of poo poo like this:

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 14, 2019

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Megazver posted:

I mean it's literally her examining the body she ended up in as a physical object.

I don't mind it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's not the 'just woke up in a strange body and looking at it' bit - it's the 'just woke up in a strange body and checking it for hotness cuz ladies really only care how hot they look, right?' bit.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It's a pretty stereotypical story of Artist Held Back By Tasteless Plebeian Market; granted I have no idea what Simmons was going through back then but he's showed himself to be enough of an rear end in a top hat for this analogy to be at least suspicious.

Simmons already had tendencies toward this, but 9/11 drove him insane for at least a few years. He wrote muslim suicide bombers that imploded the whole planet, and then jew-murdering muslim robots into one of his novels not long after 9/11, and then later, he wrote Flashback, which is pretty much just rightwing anti-liberal strawman, the novel: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/151112848

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I got three of Martha Wells' Raksura books (the first three of these: https://www.marthawells.com/compendium/)in a humble bundle a few months ago, and I've blown through them pretty quickly. The first one seemed kinda YA, which isn't usually my thing, but I liked Murderbot enough to get through it, and I'm actually starting to enjoy these novels. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for them, but as part of a bundle, they're pretty worthwhile.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This is what Michael Moorcock had to say about Bester's Tiger! Tiger! (i.e. The Stars My Destination):

quote:

6. Tiger! Tiger! by Alfred Bester
This also has a touch of space opera, but baroque rather than techno. This corporation-run Earth was done in 1955. Nestle, Heinz and IBM families rule. Byzantine future politics. Characters you fall in love with. I read this on a rainy day in Paris at the old Mistral, 1957, and it made me think SF might be worth a go. The opening's a Dickens quote, much of the plot is Jacobean Dumas. Revenge, redemption, social analysis in the context of McCarthyism. All the best American SF is from lefties encountering the madness of the 50s.

I read it in maybe 2002, and it remains one of my favorite SF works.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Philthy posted:

Picked up the first two Murderbot books. Holy moly. Both look to be about 100 pages, if that. One was softbound for $15, and the other hardcover for $16.

WTF.

Yeah, I bought the first one, but I'm waiting for some kind of collection to get any more.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Deptfordx posted:

Not recent. But there's Simon R Green's Deathstalker series

Those books are like 30 years old now.

Also, I haven't thought of Simon R Green in years. I really loved Shadows Fall when I was in high school. I wonder if that book holds up.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/marthawells1/status/1193936037850107904

yooo preordered. I've been waiting to get this as a mass market paperback!

I read the first three of these books last month - got them in one of the humble bundles a while ago. They're a pretty interesting exercise in scifi with a different species viewpoint. The first book feels a bit YA to me, but they get better as they go on.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The wolf standing on a dick really makes that cover.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

MockingQuantum posted:

This reminds me that I have some late-70s pulp sci fi novel that I'd never heard of and never read sitting on my shelf at home, somebody gave it to me in a gift exchange as a joke and I can't decide if it's going to be terrible or wonderful when I get around to reading it. I wish I could remember the name because the cover is a sight to behold.

I've got a few of these. Death Dolls of Lyra is my favorite lovely 70s assembly-line scifi novel:

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

muscles like this! posted:

I'm reading Cry Pilot and while I'm mostly enjoying it I am kind of getting tired of reading sci-fi where the main character spends a good chunk of the book going through basic training.

I had that exact experience. I feel like the interesting bits of Cry Pilot will be in the sequel to Cry Pilot.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

bagrada posted:

I don't remember those thankfully but I saw them recently on a communal family bookshelf. I guess that's another series to lock away with the later Anita Blake books. All the new generation are on Harry Potter and Captain Underpants at the moment. Only a matter of time before they get curious and raid Nana's library. My sister asked me where the Xanth books were because she wanted to start my nephew on them and I was like nooooooooooooo…. Give him the Drizzt books instead, he can start on those like my brother and I did.

I read a bunch of Xanth books when I was a kid, maybe 11 years old. I kinda can’t believe, now that I’m an adult, that Anthony got away with those.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't recall them that well, but I presume all the humans are on some kind of dole in Bank's Culture novels right? It is amusing how vilified the dole is when it seems like the inevitable end point for far future super advanced technology is a bunch of slow awkward fleshy people with nothing much to do. I know it is a minor point in a lot of scifi (Peter Watts comes to mind), but is there a book where the main subject is the existential ennui of living in a machine run paradise and people have to find some purpose when they are cartoonishly incapable of doing anything useful?

The bit in bold is a significant theme of a lot of the Culture novels. Human members of the Culture live in such an extraordinarily wealthy post-scarcity society that 'dole' doesn't even slightly describe it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just finished Cloud Roads by Martha Wells, first of her Raksura series. By the end I found it to be almost as good as murderbot, or at least hitting the right emotional beats for me - it's comfort fantasy. Terrible danger and adventure happens, but in a way where I know things will work out and they do. Moon does make friends and find a partner. It's not particularly deep but I really enjoyed the world-building and the...well, everything.

I've preordered book two, but I appreciate that this book ended in a satisfactory way.

What do you mean preordered? There are already like 4 or 5 of the Raksura books out.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

tiniestacorn posted:

Thread favorite The Luminous Dead by Caitlin Starling is $1.99 right now.
https://www.amazon.com//dp/B07BJZT8GJ

Is there a way to keep track of these price drops somewhere? I keep missing them by not reading this thread every day.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just found out the second book in the Cry Pilot series got released. It's called Burn Cycle.

I remember the first book was pretty well received by the thread, hadn't seen mention of this one yet.

The first book has an interesting premise, and then spends 85% of its time with the protagonist going through boot camp, like if the Starship Troopers film was exclusively the training segment.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

StrixNebulosa posted:

I once read a short story by Orson Scott Card. It was about a man who stalked cars on highways until they would panic and crash, and this would make him orgasm.

I do not remember which collection this was in, nor what the title was. I do remember sitting on the floor of the Fulton Public Library staring at the book, baffled.

There's a mid-90s Cronenberg film called Crash with similar themes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_(1996_film)

EDIT: What's up with Alastair Reynolds kindle editions? It looks like Pushing Ice and Revelation Space are pre-orderable for release in April?

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 24, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

General Battuta posted:

They’re an obligate carnivore great ape that branched off from early humans. They can’t manufacture certain amino acids so they get them through diet. They eat rarely and hibernate a lot. Their whole niche turned out to be pretty lovely and untenable so they died off. Modern humans resurrected them to exploit their hibernation ability and divergent neuroarchitecture.

It’s not particularly weird, except maybe the crucifix glitch. e: and the ethical minefield surrounding autism

Watts has a pretty extensive list of references for his vampires at the end of Blindsight:

https://rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm#Notes

I was curious about the language bit at the end there, and the paper he cites is honestly godawful.

quote:

You'll have noticed that Jukka Sarasti, like all reconstructed vampires, sometimes clicked to himself when thinking. This is thought to hail from an ancestral language, which was hardwired into a click-speech mode more than 50,000 years BP. Click-based speech is especially suited to predators stalking prey on savannah grasslands (the clicks mimic the rustling of grasses, allowing communication without spooking quarry)11. The Human language most closely akin to Old Vampire is Hadzane12.

This is the sort of work parodied so well in https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2012-03-21.

Regardless of the quality of the references, it's neat that he put together an annotated bibliography.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PKD also had some thoughts about Stanislaw Lem. From Lem's wiki page:

quote:

Lem singled out only one American science fiction writer for praise, Philip K. Dick, in a 1984 English-language anthology of his critical essays, Microworlds: Writings on Science Fiction and Fantasy. Lem had initially held a low opinion of Philip K. Dick (as he did for the bulk of American science fiction) and would later claim that this was due to a limited familiarity with Dick's work.

Dick, who had mental health problems, maintained that Stanisław Lem was probably a false name used by a composite committee operating on orders of the Communist party to gain control over public opinion, and wrote a letter to the FBI to that effect.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tor.com has this ridiculously charming short story A Guide for Working Breeds up right now:

https://www.tor.com/2020/03/17/a-guide-for-working-breeds-vina-jie-min-prasad/

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Gnoman posted:

The first type is wholesale integration of science and magic - either in the context of magic being newly rediscovered in an advanced society or a society that developed magic and science in tandem.

The kind of thing I'm looking for is, for example, somebody ordering something on Amazon, then getting up from the computer to draw a magic circle to bargain with demons for instant delivery.

What I don't want is "science-justified" magic - no PSI, no ESP, nothing of that sort.

This sounds a bit like Perdido Street Station as well, at least if you're willing to indulge a sort of early 20th-century-with-magic level of technology in your science+magic genre.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Safety Biscuits posted:

How do you read them? I've opened them with Winzip and now can't even see a file format.

If you liked that you might enjoy the Urth list, which is discussion of Gene Wolfe, and occasionally other writers - it dates back to 1996, so hardly early internet, but hey. All readable online still: http://urth.net/

It looks like all the files are plain text. Lots of them don't have extensions, though.

code:
$ cat sflovers/books/bibs/Burroughs.Edgar.Rice | head
Date:  4 Mar 89 09:50:34 PST (Saturday)
Subject: Author Lists: Edgar Rice Burroughs
To: SF-LOVERS%rutgers:EDU
Edited: 27-Jun-95

Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of the all time classic pulp writers.  As
such, one does not read him for his prose style or characterization.  Many
modern readers find him unreadable.  But, his stories do have unceasing
action, marvelously inventive worlds, brave heroes, beautiful princesses,

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Jedit posted:

Who the gently caress is finding Burroughs unreadable? I read the original Barsoom trilogy just this year and they still stand up.

Agreed - I love the Barsoom books. That little section is part of a blurb from a 1989 bibliography someone name John Wenn wrote:

quote:

Edgar Rice Burroughs is one of the all time classic pulp writers. As
such, one does not read him for his prose style or characterization. Many
modern readers find him unreadable. But, his stories do have unceasing
action, marvelously inventive worlds, brave heroes, beautiful princesses,
and unspeakable villains. Personally, I find him kind of fun, if read in
the right mood. I think this list is most complete for his novels, but
I've probably missed a few omnibuses along the way. And the dates
mentioned are publication dates for the books, not copyright dates of the
original magazine articles.

[C] == Story Collection.
[O] == Omnibus. Includes other books.
[= ...] == Also known by this other title.

Burroughs, Edgar Rice (U.S.A., 9/1/1875-3/19/1950) G, F
(pseudonyms: Norman Bean, John Tyler McCullough)

Series
John Carter of Mars
A Princess of Mars (1917)
The Gods of Mars (1918)
The Warlord of Mars (1919)
[O/2N= (1971) [SFBC]]
Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
[O/2N= (1973) [SFBC]]
The Mastermind of Mars (1928)
[O/3N= Three Martian Novels (1962)]
A Fighting Man of Mars (1931)
[O/2N= (1973) [SFBC]]
Swords of Mars (1936)
Synthetic Men of Mars (1940)
[O/2N= (1975) [SFBC]]
Llana of Gathol (1948)
John Carter of Mars (1964) [C]
[O/2N= (1977) [SFBC]]

Carson Napier of Venus
Pirates of Venus (1934)
Lost on Venus (1935)
[O/2N= (1963)]
Carson of Venus (1939)
Escape on Venus (1946)
The Wizard of Venus (1970) [C= The Wizard of Venus + Pirate Blood]

Pellucidar
At the Earth's Core (1922)
Pellucidar (1923)
Tanar of Pellucidar (1930)
[O/3N= Three Science Fiction Novels (1963)]
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1930)
Back to the Stone Age (1937) [= Seven Worlds to Conquer]
Land of Terror (1944)
Savage Pellucidar (1963)

Tarzan
Tarzan of the Apes (1914)
The Return of Tarzan (1915)
The Beasts of Tarzan (1916)
The Son of Tarzan (1917)
Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1918)
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1919) [= Tarzan's Jungle Tales]
Tarzan the Untamed (1920)
Tarzan the Terrible (1921)
Tarzan and the Golden Lion (1923)
Tarzan and the Ant Men (1924) [rev. 1929]
Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle (1928)
Tarzan and the Lost Empire (1929)
Tarzan at the Earth's Core (1930)
Tarzan the Invincible (1931)
Tarzan Triumphant (1932)
Tarzan and the City of Gold (1933)
Tarzan and the Lion Man (1934)
Tarzan and the Leopard Men (1935)
Tarzan's Quest (1936)
Tarzan and the Forbidden City (1938) [Abr./ Tarzan in the Forbidden City]
Tarzan the Magnificent (1939)
Tarzan and the Foreign Legion (1947)
Tarzan and the Madman (1964)
Tarzan and the Castaways (1965) [C]
Tarzan of the Apes: Four Volumes in One (1988) [O/4N= Tarzan of the Apes + The Son of Tarzan + Tarzan at the Earth's Core + Tarzan Triumphant]

Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins [YA]
The Tarzan Twins (1927)
Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins with Jad-Bal-Ja, the Golden Lion (1936)
[O/2N= Tarzan and the Tarzan Twins (1963)]
The Mark of the Red Hyena (1967) [YA]

Beyond the Farthest Star (1964)
Beyond Thirty (1955) [= The Lost Continent]
Beyond Thirty; and, The Man Eater (1957) [O/2N]
The Cave Girl (1925)
The Eternal Lover (1925) [= The Eternal Savage] [assoc./Tarzan]
Jungle Girl (1932) [= The Land of Hidden Men]
The Lad and the Lion (1937)
The Land that Time Forgot (1924)
= The Land that Time Forgot (1963)
+ The People that Time Forgot (1963)
+ Out of Time's Abyss (1963)
The Land that Time Forgot & The Moon Maid (1924) [O/2N]
The Man Eater (1955)
The Monster Men (1929)
The Moon Maid (1926)
= The Moon Maid (1962) [exp. magazine version]
+ The Moon Men (1962) [exp. magazine version]
A Princess of Mars & A Fighting Man of Mars (1964) [O/2N]
Science Fiction Classics (1982) [O/5N= Pellucidar + Thuvia, Maid of Mars + Tanar of Pellucidar + The Chessmen of Mars + The Mastermind of Mars]
Tales of Three Planets (1964) [C/inc. Beyond the Farthest Star + The Wizard of Venus]

with Joe R. Lansdale
Tarzan: The Lost Adventure: Book 1 (1995)

Non-Genre Fiction
__________Series
Apache Devil (1933)
The War Chief (1927)

The Bandit of Hell's Bend (1925)
The Deputy Sheriff of Comanche County (1940)
The Efficiency Expert (1966)
The Girl From Farris's (1959)
The Girl From Hollywood (1923)
I am a Barbarian (1967)
The Mad King (1926)
The Mucker (1921)
= The Mucker (1922)
+ The Man Without a Soul (1922) [= The Return of the Mucker]
The Oakdale Affair & The Rider (1937)
= The Oakdale Affair (1974)
+ The Rider (1974)
The Outlaw of Torn (1927)

as John Tyler McCullough
Pirate Blood (1970)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

General Battuta posted:

like a lazy python dangling from a car window

That simile really gets you.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

jng2058 posted:

That's the theory, but the practical was shown to be something different by the Puppies fiasco. In practice, it's decided by however many people decide to lay out the cash (what is it, $25 I think?) for the membership. There's no way to test for "people who take SF seriously". Pay your money, get your vote, and if you can get together enough people to pay and vote the way you want, you can buy one or more awards.

Paying the membership fee doesn't make your anymore serious about SF than paying for an account here on SA makes you serious about posting.

That just shows that smaller organizations are especially vulnerable to group strategic voting. It's still true that people who pay the money to join are generally more interested in scifi/fantasy than your average person.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

90s Cringe Rock posted:

say one thing for the puppies, at least they proved pretty conclusively that there wasn't a pre-existing secret cabal fixing the hugo nominations

And they made Chuck Tingle famous!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PawParole posted:

I’ve never understood caring about the politics of a book so long as it’s a rollicking read. I loved that Bain series about the maple syrup addicted aliens despite the author being a bloodthirsty jingo.

Because the constant overt insertion of the politics gets exhausting. I started reading Monster Hunters, Inc. a few years ago, and the constant libertarian/republican talking points the characters spouted at every opportunity was incredibly tedious.

It also seems like right-wing authors are worse about this (unless you count startrek-type post-scarcity utopias as innately left or somesuch, but even then, captain kirk isn't taking five minute of every episode to expound on the virtues of economic redistribution).

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 1, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Schneider Heim posted:

Is there an action-fantasy series that would be great reading for a Dark Souls fan? (and yeah, I'm reading Berserk, so it doesn't count)

If it's the complicated-world-that-you-have-to-kinda-figure-out-yourself that you like about Dark Souls, you may like Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's not really action-heavy (definitely not like Berserk), but it does give you that feeling of wandering around, piecing together a world from glimpses.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 4, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why would a bad movie reflect on a book?

Also, that's actually a pretty decent movie.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cardiac posted:

Fahrenheit is a lovely metric, which in contrast to Celsius have no good translation to Kelvin. Using it in sci-fi is just bad.
The issue here is really the Anglocentric world we live in which lets conservative countries like US and UK keep their archaic metrics due to a combination of popular culture and institutional inertia.

Fahrenheit is a really good scale for describing weather temperatures in Europe and NA at least, where 0 and 100 are good endpoints for human outdoor temperature experience. Celsius is terrible at that (the typical weather temp range in Celsius is what, about -20 to 40?), but great if only care about phase transitions of water.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

EDIT: no need to hash this out in this thread

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 7, 2020

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

pradmer posted:

The Seventh Sword Series (Reluctant Swordsman, Coming Wisdom, Destiny of the Sword, Death of Nnanji) by Dave Duncan - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732L5MND/

Yikes:

quote:

In this complete collection of the high fantasy Seventh Sword series by Aurora Award–winning author Dave Duncan, Wallie Smith must face a new destiny and save an unfamiliar world from evil forces.

The Reluctant Swordsman: Wallie goes to the hospital and wakes up in the body of a barbarian swordsman, accompanied by a voluptuous slave girl and an eccentric priest babbling about the Goddess. When he learns the Goddess needs a swordsman, he reluctantly agrees to set off on her quest.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PawParole posted:

Anyone know of a story where humans are conquered by aliens and it’s set in the aftermath? ( no ai, vampires or weird poo poo).

I just want to read about humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjQ2t_yNHQs

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Selachian posted:

Tea with the Black Dragon is interesting because it's basically urban fantasy before "urban fantasy" was a thing (see also: Emma Bull's War for the Oaks).

Charles de Lint also sits in this pre-Urban Fantasy category.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Gor thing became an SA meme (at least in LF) in like 2007 when someone found some Gorean website audio file that said something like "Welcome... to the world of Gor!" *whipcrack noise*.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

branedotorg posted:

Third cry pilot book just came out if anyone's interested.

(Bio mecha apocalypse meets generic kid goes to training academy stuff)

Was the second any good? The premise of the first was fun, but it spent 80% of its time in boot camp, ignoring the interesting stuff in the world.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Cardiac posted:

That goes for any series and particularly those series where each book is a self contained story.

On something else, I read The great god Pan on my kindle and it contained a massive amount of mistranslations/modern day versions (the phase e book or data streams as example ) that can’t have been part of the original text. Is this some effect of machine reading given that Machen died in the fifties?
I have no issues reading archaic English and things like this makes hesitant about buying older books on kindle.

The Great God Pan was written in intelligible modern English. I don't know what you got - maybe some weird ereader errors or something? Where did you get your version?

The Project Gutenberg plain text version (http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/389/pg389.txt) uses the word 'ebook' several times in the legal material around the book but never in the text itself. They also have a free kindle version.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

pradmer posted:

Will Wight Elder Empire Series - Free
Of Sea and Shadow (Sea #1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RE55XXS/
Of Dawn and Darkness (Sea #2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01915038I/
Of Kings and Killers (Sea #3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087N5RV2X/
Of Shadow and Sea (Shadow #1) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RE68P8C/
Of Darkness and Dawn (Shadow #2) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013Q4KQZA/
Of Killers and Kings (Shadow #3) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087N4L8JW/

I like the idea here, with two parallel series from different perspectives. Has anyone here read them? How are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I really like Neal Asher's Polity books, and I'd put them just under The Culture for space opera.