Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I finally got around to reading Bridge of Birds and oh man, after reading semi serious stuff for years it was hard for me to grasp the tone of the book, I kept falling into the trap of trying to seriously understand it all, instead of just... Enjoying the crazy stuff? I can't really explain it, I think until the end I never got the way to read it right, I'll probably need a reread. It's so different to everything I'm used to.

Like, even all the pulpy, camp stuff I've read didn't compare in tone to Bridge of Birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I really don't like the prose in This is how you lose the time war. I don't know what it is but it's just boring, even though the premise is exciting.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I've read a lot of space operas, and never got around to read A Fire Upon the Deep (I know I know).

I started reading it recently, just at night before bed, and it wasn't really pulling me in.

But after reading the end of the first act last night.. Holy poo poo I can't put it down

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I love it when an author actually gets poo poo done - it was so good finishing the Dragon Republic and seeing the third book is already planned for november this year. No 10 year waiting bullshit.

Gonna start Magic for Liars now, I don't know how it'll compare but absolutely loved these the Poppy War books so I need to lower my expectations

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pradmer posted:

Gideon the Ninth (Locked Tomb #1) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6HWLPR/

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

I really recommend these two.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I might have to re-read the last few chapters of Gideon cause I just started Harrow and I don't know wtf is going on

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Culture books are probably my favorite series of books, and a lot of people like them, but I guess ymmv.

I also started with Consider Phlebas and I didn't find it very good, but soldiered on and it paid off. Most people recommend starting with Player of Games, which is a better intro, but I also didn't love it. What I loved was everything as a whole, put together, after reading all the books. Best moments, for me, were in Use of Weapons, Excession, and Hydrogen Sonata. So maybe read Player of Games and see what you think.

By the way, the whole notion of "the baddest in the galaxy", of someone who alters the course of history, is basically what Banks dispells in every single book. So the book might not end as you expect it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So following this thread's recommendation I got Perdido Street Station and... I didn't really like it. My biggest gripe, I think, was the prose. Way too many adjectives everywhere, I never really felt like the scene was set even though he described things extensively. After dropping it, at around 25%, I switched to City of Stairs and read for like 3 hours before falling asleep, much more my poo poo.

Now maybe you'll tell me that Mieville's prose is objectively better, richer, but I don't know, maybe because I'm ESL, I like simpler, straight to the point prose that just flows when I read it. Loving it so far.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

pradmer posted:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series - $4.99 each
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYGGG76/

World of Trouble (Last Policeman #3) by Ben H Winters - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HXYHVNU/

Hey man just wanted to thank you for these posts you've saved me a lot of money hit me up if you want me to buy you something on the forums

orange sky
May 7, 2007

OK got the burning God, let's see how this ends

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Witcher books are really fun to read, a nice surprise. Occasionally very funny too.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Collateral posted:

I think the whole protagonist getting abused is a lady lit thing. Outlander is rife with it.

The way Burrich is written is from Fitz first person, of course he views it as hard love and his fault really.

The passage about the toy soldiers was brutal.

Yep reading The Space Between Worlds now and while the premise is good and the book is well written there's just tons of explicit physical abuse right in the first chapters. I guess that says something about the way we treat women.

E: on a more positive note, preordered the next murderbot :dance:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Did anyone else find The Fifth Season a little slow? I've been reading it but I inevitably fall asleep a short while after starting. I ate up the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms trilogy in like a week so I don't know what's happening with this book.. I can feel very interesting things coming but they never seem to happen.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

People have the weirdest hang ups in this forum sometimes, how hard is it to scroll past a post lmao

Anyway, just finished the dispossessed - loved it, but didn't feel much closure with the ending. I wish we'd have gotten a direct sequel to it.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

Player of Games I liked. Use of Weapons I think I gave up on like 1/3 of the way through.

Whenever you don't have something to pick up, go and try Use of Weapons again. It's excellent, after you get the hang of the chapter thing, and the ending is loving crazy.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

What books would you guys recommend like the Dark Profit Saga? Looking for some fantasy/sci fi comedies/satires, while the 3rd book doesn't come out.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks a lot for the list :)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Dragonfired (Orconomics #3) is out, hope it's good.

Also, I started reading Behold Humanity, and I kept finding stuff that made me think "this could have really used a couple more rounds of editing" and "what the gently caress is happening" before realizing that apparently it's taken out of Reddit posts made over time by one dude? Anyway, put it on hold for now to read Dragonfired.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, Critical Failures is very fun. Been getting more and more into D&D stuff with D20, don't think I'll ever actually play the game besides in BG3, but I love all D&D adjacent stuff. I recommend Critical Failures if you like easy to read and funny books, been having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

War, Drama, Action, epicness.

The Vorkosigan Saga might be right up your alley. Very well written and full of page turners.