Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

My bookmark for this thread was last read back on page 50-something where folks were "discussing" 'I Sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter', so it's serendipity that this article just got published:

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/22543858/isabel-fall-attack-helicopter

You should read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

multijoe posted:

Who the gently caress is reporting fantasy book discussion in the fantasy book megathread

Who is standing outside my file yelling at me to leave the standard-focus!?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pradmer posted:

In that vein, does anyone have any recommendations for books with journeys through weird and alien settings. The best examples I can think of are Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance and Kameron Hurley's The Stars Are Legion when they're traveling through the inside of the world. Not so much Arthur Clarke's Rendezvous at Rama because I found that pretty sterile.

Posted this back in 2019, might fit the bill:

quote:

I finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's new book Cage of Souls late last week. Most folks ITT loved his Children of Time and while this isn't quite as good, I'd rate it about 8/10 of the way there. Set on a very Vancian Dying Earth, a too-smart-for-his-own-good graduate student gets himself sent upriver on a Heart of Darkness trip to an Island where your life is worth precisely zero, and his subsequent adventures thereon and flashbacks to how he got so deep in the poo poo. I enjoyed it a lot, well worth picking up.

Also there was another Tchaikovsky book, Redemption's Blade which had a bit of a Vance-style vibe hero's journey; several disparate characters coming together for a quest, stopping at various locales and having to deal with the idiosyncrasies at each. Theres also a pair of Magical Artefact hunters who were especially JV. It was a little weaker that his other books but I enjoyed it well enough to buy the sequel, only to notice after I'd hit 'Buy' that book 2 was actually written by a completely different author?? I have not read it yet.

edit: I also posted this a while back, it might be of interest to folks who head Vance and enjoyed his work

NoneMoreNegative posted:

If you're new to Vance the PoA and tDP series are absolutely your first *ahem* Port of Call, if you have read a bunch of his stuff I would also recommend the essay 'Demon Prince: The Dissonant Worlds of Jack Vance' as it has a lot of good insights into his work.

There's a Gbooks preview but the actual book is only in paper print - which I have a copy of somewhere - as far as I've found so far:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0s4DiakfSjEC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

I also just found this:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2UPUAAAAQBAJ&lpg=PA193&ots=KoeLZyTbch&dq=Lop%20Loiqua&pg=PA163#v=onepage&q&f=false

The first few pages of the chapter on "The Art of Xenography: Jack Vance's “General Culture” Novels" are missing from the preview but the full book is on Amazon for just a few quid:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5N4NHI

so I have that to read this weekend.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 1, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah try as they might LitRPG authors have never managed to recapture the lightning-in-a-bottle of the original Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters :colbert:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bear Sleuth posted:

Vance! It's not all comedic by any means but his signature ironic tone is the source for loads of humor, and there are books like Cugel's Saga which is nothing but a series of goofball escapades. The chapter Cugel spends as a worminger jumps to mind as a highlight.

drat it's been a minute since I read Cugel but still lmao

Cugel and Bunderwal are competing for a job

quote:

Cugel gave Bunderwal a careful inspection. "He seems to be a modest, decent and unassuming person, but definitely not a sound choice for the position of supercargo."
"And why do you say that?"
"If you will notice," said Cugel, "Bunderwal shows the drooping nostrils which indicate an infallible tendency towards seasickness."
"Cugel is a man of discernment!" declared Bunderwal. "I would rate him an applicant of fair to good quality, and I urge you to ignore his long spatulate fingers which I last noticed on Larkin the baby-stealer. There is a significant difference between the two: Larkin has been hanged and Cugel has not been hanged."

Iucouno the wizard wants Cugel dead, but it would be gauche to just blast him

quote:

Iucounu led the way into a hall panelled in fine dark mahogany, where he was greeted effusively by a small round animal with long fur, short legs and black button eyes. The creature bounded up and down and voiced a series of shrill barks. Iucounu patted the beast. “Well then, Ettis, how goes your world? Have they been feeding you enough suet? Good! I am glad to hear such happy tidings, since, other than Cugel, you are my only friend. Now then! To order! I must confer with Cugel.”

Iucounu signaled Cugel to a chair at the table, and seated himself opposite. The animal ran back and forth barking, pausing only long enough to gnaw at Cugel’s ankles.

A pair of young sylphs floated into the room with trays of silver which they set before Cugel and Iucounu, then drifted once more back the way they had come.

Iucounu rubbed his hands together. “As you know, Cugel, I serve only the best. The wine is Angelius from Quantique, and the biscuits are formed from the pollen of red clover blossom.”

“Your judgment has always been exquisite,” said Cugel.

“I am content only with the subtle and the refined,” said Iucounu. He tasted the wine. “Matchless!” He drank again. “Heady, tart, with a hint of arrogance.” He looked across the table at Cugel. “What is your opinion?”

Cugel shook his head in sad abnegation. “One taste of this elixir and I never again could tolerate ordinary drink.” He dipped a biscuit into the wine and tendered it to Ettis, who again had paused to gnaw at his leg. “Ettis of course has a wider discrimination than I.”

Iucounu jumped to his feet with a protest, but Ettis had already gulped down the morsel, thereupon to perform a curious contortion and fall down on its back, with feet raised stiffly into the air.

Cugel looked questioningly at Iucounu. “You have trained Ettis well in the ‘dead dog’ trick. He is a clever beast.”

Iucounu slowly subsided into his chair. Two sylphs entered the chamber and carried Ettis away on a silver tray.

Edit: Cugel has been sent to a domain of darkness to be consumed by the demon Phampoun (who sleeps with blinders on to keep out any stray light rays) but wrangles the sleeping demon to the surface by outwitting Pulsifer, the demon's homunculus tongue

quote:

"Most interesting, although I am unfamiliar with such extensive vistas. In fact, I feel almost a sense of vertigo. What is the source of the savage red glare?”

“That is the light of our ancient sun, now westering toward sunset.”

“It does not appeal to me. Please be quick about your business; I have suddenly become most uneasy.”

“I will make haste,” said Cugel.

The sun, sinking low, sent a shaft of light through the portal, to play full upon the altar. Cugel, stepping behind the massive chair, twitched away the two shutters which guarded Phampoun’s eyes, and the milky orbs glistened in the sunlight.

For an instant Phampoun lay quiet. His muscles knotted, his legs jerked, his mouth gaped wide, and he emitted an explosion of sound: a grinding scream which propelled Pulsifer forth to vibrate like a flag in the wind. Phampoun lunged from the altar to fall sprawling and rolling across the floor of the temple, all the while maintaining his cataclysmic outcries. He pulled himself erect, and pounding the tiled floor with his great feet, he sprang here and there and at last burst through the stone walls as if they were paper, while the Kind Folk in the square stood petrified.

Cugel, taking the two sacks of gold, departed the temple by a side entrance. For a moment he watched Phampoun careering around the square, screaming and flailing at the sun. Pulsifer, desperately gripping a pair of tusks, attempted to steer the maddened demon, who, ignoring all restraint, plunged eastward through the city, trampling down trees, bursting through houses as if they failed to exist.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 8, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'll xpost this here as well

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted about enjoying Blake Crouch's RECURSION awhile back, it has a big written-for-Hollywood energy but is still a lot of fun; a quid the next 24h

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Recursion-Bestselling-Author-Exciting-Thriller-ebook/dp/B07LCSPGTN/

may / may not be on offer in other countries

It starts off a little slow but gradually picks up pace until the back third is blowing your hat off.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Groke posted:

Well you loving HAVE to have coffee or life would be completely unbearable.

Engraved on silver coffee service DON'T JIHAD ME BEFORE I'VE HAD MY COFFEE

Also on Dune (and Vance a few pages back), I'm just finishing a reread after watching the movie and the last Appendix has:

That name immediately jumped out as an anagram, and the book title itself even has a Vance vibe to it :prepop:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I picked up Luke Smitherd's The Stone Man on a kindle deal ages back and it's precisely 'mysterious thing appears'.

I didn't think it was a great book, maybe a kind 4/10, but look it up and see if the synopsis appeals.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If you are ok with Amazon I found several years-end 'Best of our Short Stories' ebooks from the publisher TOR as freebies, might be worth a look as a grab-bag sampler.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

2nding this. Literally the plot is thing appears in area and people wonder why, then poo poo gets weird.

I can't remember if it's good or not, it's been years since I bought it. It's precisely the sort of plot you are looking for though. It's on ku if that helps.

And a whole quid in the uk right now if you don't have Unlimited

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AHJIJF2

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Fart of Presto posted:

If you are up for some trashy/pulpy post-apocalyptic reading, PC games seller Fanatical has a bundle just for you (3 tiers):

Deathlands Sci-Fi Novels Bundle (Vols 1-40) (3 of them also as audio books)
PDF format. Use Calibre to convert to ePub/Mobi

I believe I still have book 3, Neutron Solstice, somewhere.
I don't plan on reading it again, but back in 1987 when it got released, I immediately bought it when seeing the cover and reading the back cover

I didn't really have standards then...

Jesus Christ, I just saw on the Wiki page that there are 125 books in this series.

and if you bough the first FORTY books in this bundle, you'll be thrilled to learn there are ANOTHER FORTY-FIVE available to buy now

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/deathlands-sci-fi-novels-bundle-2

:eyepop: I can't imagine these are anything other than beneath-the-barrel trash..?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Currently reading How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu. It’s set in the near future, where everything sucks in a similar way to the present: there’s a pandemic, due to a mysterious virus found in the melting Siberian permafrost. It seems to mutate organs in unpredictable ways, and primarily infects children and advanced elderly, though there’s heavy foreshadowing for it mutating into something that can infect adults. It’s a great book to read if you want to ruin your whole day: chapter 2 features an underemployed comedian who ends up working as a Mickey Mouse analogue at a euthanasia park for children, complete with a 2000 foot murdercoaster; a few chapters later we get a lab pig that became sentient and learned to talk, and it’s about to learn that it was raised to grow organs for harvesting, and that the mutation in its brain is going to kill it eventually. There’s even a funeral industry cryptocoin: “For only one thousand bereavement crypto-tokens, you can scatter your loved one’s ashes on a one-hour cruise around SanFancisco Bay.”

Well that sounds like a hoot & a holler :prepop:

I'm kind of reminded of my recent read of 84K, a (so-far fictional) pre-apocalyptic / post-Brexit Conservative's wet dream of Britain in the near future, where if you're not rich you are hosed, and the titular figure is how much of a fine you need to pay for killing one of the cattle-class plebs that make up 99% of the country. It's grim reading, and the stream-of-consciousness writing style might not be for everyone, but it was worth the effort as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/84K-eerily-plausible-dystopian-masterpiece-ebook/dp/B076PBVSWV/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FPyat posted:

Can I have the exact title?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

standalone urban fantasy

I have a like/ehh relationship with Adrian Tchaikovskys books but I really enjoyed his Cage of Souls, which fits well into this category (I said it was 'Dying Earth by way of Heart of Darkness' when I first read it)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Re: Nuke Books - I read

The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against The United States
by Dr Jeffrey Lewis (Author)

a couple years or so back and it's blackly comic, just what I was wanting.

"The plot is so absurd and implausible―a nuclear war prompted by a presidential tweet―that it feels devastatingly true. The 2020 COMMISSION REPORT is a brilliantly conceived page-turner. Let’s hope it isn’t prophetic ― Eric Schlosser, author of COMMAND AND CONTROL"

And if you haven't read COMMAND AND CONTROL it's some real scary nuclear-related nonfiction, well worth a look.

:sickos:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 22, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sax Solo posted:

Reading Blindsight based on name dropping in the previous page, then unrelatedly someone mentions it on twitter the same day, and so it's frequency illusion/ kismet.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I have a like/ehh relationship with Adrian Tchaikovskys books but I really enjoyed his Cage of Souls, which fits well into this category (I said it was 'Dying Earth by way of Heart of Darkness' when I first read it)

Oops; This is a single quid in the uk right now if you fancy a dabble

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Cage-Souls-Adrian-Tchaikovsky-ebook/dp/B07DPRW17S/

There may be similar bargains on other Amazons

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Selachian posted:

Yeah, that's Piers Anthony's "Prostho Plus" stories, which were later collected into a single book. They're some of his better work, believe it or not.

The Colour of her Dentine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Larry Parrish posted:

if we go by sheer volume of books mines probably e.m. foner lmfao. who has written about 30 of what is basically the exact same book, but I'm here for it.

they foner e.m. in

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quote:

Martha Wells reading from her book All Systems Red to the search and rescue robots at the TEES (Texas A&M University Engineering Experiment Station) Center for Robot-Assisted Search and Rescue (CRASAR).

:3:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyberpunk-adjacent (or probably postcyberpunk I guess), Ribofunk by Paul Di Filippo got an ebook release after a long time in the 'find a copy secondhand / read a bad pdf scan' wasteland; it was a fun read, but certain bits of the biopunk ickiness might be unsettling for some.

Seconding Hardwired as a good fast cpunk read, I posted this back in 2018

quote:

hardwired is good, I read it not long back for the first time and it’s like a more actiony b-movie Gibson.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Slowdive posted:

Any recs for well written sci fi books full of mindbending, amazing, original ideas and concepts like Reynolds' House of Suns, Tchaikovsky's Children of Time and Hamilton's Salvation? And what other fantasy would you recommend if my favorite authors are Le Guin and China Mieville? Bonus points for non-anglo stuff

Vinge's A Fire Upon The Deep and A Deepness in the Sky are both excellent reads and do a lot of stuff you won't have seen before (I never read The Children of the Sky, book 3 in the series, does it hold up to the first two?)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

UK Kindle deal today, all the Witcher books in a compilations for a single pound - never read them myself but I'll take a look for this price :o:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Witcher-Destiny-Contempt-Baptism-ebook/dp/B086RGBKBQ/

(Might be a dollar in the US, someone will need to check)

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

zoux posted:

I'm reading Children of Ruin after finishing Children of Time and his aliens are so good. The whole story of the Portiids is related in such an interesting and elegant way, you get to the point where you cannot wait to see what happens when they meet humans for the first time. Also, I kinda like spiders now wtf? There's also just a sprinkle of that ironic English Adams/Prachett idiom in his prose that really makes it readable.

This thread costs me so much fuckign money.

If you like Spiders you should pick up Vinge's 'A Deepness in the Sky', whose arachnid friends have a warm, bucolic Tolkienesque society :mmmhmm:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

quantumfoam posted:

The Brick Moon, a 1869 scifi novella to my attention.

This rang a bell for me and it took awhile to twig it was used as a place name in one of the later Nemesis the Warlock books, a series second only to 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' for picking all manner of weird / obscure stuff out of history to use as fluff.

Also the story of the Gothic empire is based on Queen Victoria's reign, which your 1869 novel fits nicely into.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Monkey posted:

Was going to post this exact thing. This blogger seems like a moron, and using woke as a pejorative is just one of many red flags.

Ah, Godwin's Second Law

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/1504687870006620163

:hmmyes:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Re: James Webb inspiration, I'm coming up a blank on any intergalactic scifi, it's just too big - I mean there's plenty of pangalactic stuff, eg. the Culture books, but other than maybe the Lensman series with its two galaxies (that I have never read past summaries), nothing bigger than one measly, tiny dot of a galaxy.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cyberiad: Hats off to Michael Kandel for the frankly bullshit task of getting Trurl's machine poet to work at all cross-languages.

https://mwichary.medium.com/seduced-shaggy-samson-snored-725b5a8086d9

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sailor Viy posted:

Counterpoint: Lathe of Heaven is probably my favourite Le Guin, and one of the few works of fiction I could plausibly say changed my outlook on life.

I read LoH for the first time late last year and enjoyed it a lot

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Also, Le Guin's 'LATHE OF HEAVEN' which was a lot more enjoyable - definitely had the 'classic era scifi' vibe emanating from it, but the story and the writing were top notch. Reading it I was thinking 'What else did I read that has this kinda storyline?' and it was Blake Crouch's recent-ish 'RECURSION' (which is totally a wrote-for-hollywood book but actually a lot of fun) but looking up further he claims to have not read LoH at the time of writing Recursion; I'm rubbing my chin here.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I think someone here recommended THE BLACKTONGUE THIEF awhile back and I'm enjoying it a lot, only maybe a third in but it seems to be willing to go a bit more weird and off-broadway than the usual fantasy tropes I was expecting from chapter one.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 4, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I was kinda expecting this from your blind youtube link :o: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/prawn_meat/status/1559361445779107840

Ok is anyone going to fess up?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BC: Now Tain I can get into

/is immediately dragged to the Cold Cellar

Edit:

I am currently 25% into my first read of Traitor after having it on my Kindle for ages, and I'm liking it a lot - I'm probably a little extra enamoured by the book in the beginning doing just enough showing, enough telling and enough stuff for you to infer yourself, because:

I started this after DNFing (hell DNSing barely) Too Like The Lightning, and the pileup of the archaic writing style and the 'here's a bunch of unexplained poo poo' rubbed me entirely the wrong way in less than a chapter - I mean I've read 'hard' books, I enjoyed the first three Graydon books recently (obviously as I wrote them) but something about TLTL was diesel in my gas tank. Maybe I'll go back to it in the future..

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 1, 2022

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Keret posted:

Harrow is, at it's heart, actually a book about soup making.

For all the weird writing quirks, Harrow is really just a stock character.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dark Matter felt almost explicitly crafted for a TV pickup, so I'm not surprised at all by the news - and Recursion was so constantly widescreen in its barrelling plotline that it absolutely must be on a Hollywood cinema production pile right now.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

RDM posted:

Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep and Deepness in the Sky.

Vinge's Marooned in Realtime* also deals with long-timespan civilization, though with a central conceit better read unspoiled.

*a sequel to The Peace War, which is also a good read but doesn't deal directly with deep time living

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I thought 'written with both fists on the keyboard' meant 'completely sexless and nonhorny'

also

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Professor Shark posted:

I just finished Blindsight. I don't think I mentioned it before, but Watts is a family friend and the bleak thesis and ending absolutely fits his personality, including the "congratulatory" email I received upon the birth of my daughter.

I really liked it, but man what a depressing epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rutibex posted:

I needed to find a thread to brag about my sweet book find. I think this is the right one, but I was very close to posting this in the D&D thread. My local university is liquidating some of their old books and they are for sale for $1 each! I've always wanted to read The Dying Earth but I've never seen a copy until now. I picked these up as well as a bunch of other 70s sci-fi short story collections :haw:

That's a good haul - I'd suggest hunting around to see if you can score STAR KING (book 1/5) and THE PALACE OF LOVE (book 3/5) for cheap so you have all five of Vance's 'Demon Princes' to read in series. That and The PLANET OF ADVENTURE series are some old familiar personal favourites of mine.