Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

For what it's worth, 2 Like 2 Lightning does back off of that style a bit once the book gets rolling. There are occasional spans where it pops back up, though. It takes a bit, but the book actually becomes pretty compelling techno/political conspiracy fare before too long. The stuff with Bridger is present throughout too, but he's actually not the focus (of the first book, at least, I assume he becomes more central later?)

I have never read a book before where about half way through I decided that I hated all the characters and wanted to see bad stuff happen to them. Any other books like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

Finished Empress of Forever and was uhh, a bit disappointed. It felt like it was trying, but worse at the contemporary voice than Gideon/Murderbot, while simultaneously having a less compelling story and cast.

It's weird, because I liked the Craft sequence. I think the narrative voice of Empress felt forced or something. :shrug:

I liked it but I would have honestly preferred to read the the alternative story they mentioned at the end instead.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Just finished Hyperion. It was good, not great, and certainly not what I expected. For some reason I thought it would be a super abstract, Pynchonesque, dark space mystery. Instead it was a pulpy, pop-culture laden universe, almost akin to Futurama or the Hitchiker's Guide in that respect. Not really a bad thing, but I did have a couple issues.

- Would've been nice to uh, tell a complete story instead of making me buy the next book.
- I love sci-fi world building, but this was a little too ambitious. From the Shrike and Time Tombs, to the Technocore, and the Ousters, too many tantalizing ideas were introduced only to not be explored in any great depth.
- In that same vein, I ended up enjoying the smaller scale stories, like the Priest's and the Scholar's. Kassad's adventures in conquering Planet Jihad and Lamia's cyberpunk story verged on the ridiculous at times

I am intrigued in how things turn out, if the Time Tombs really are an artifact from the future to aid in a AI/human war and how the Ousters will factor in. But I also remember a thread on here where I think someone said the sequels are total crap, and I could believe it - this feels like a story where mysteries begin but are never really resolved. Are they worth reading anyway?

I think Hyperion is a two part book and isn't counted as a sequels in the "the sequels are crap" statement. I enjoyed the sequel (another two part book) but it was pretty different.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Cryptozoology posted:

Been reading Luna, I'm a third ish of the way through Wolf Moon. Gotta say there's not enough Moon Facts?? Wanted more of that poo poo.

Also what's the deal with the reverse werewolves.

For real though: they do explain it in the books but basically it's bipolar disorder that through medication and culture is synchronized with the phases of the earth.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I am looking for something like the Black Company but following a crew of pirates. Something where a pirate crew does clever things, sneaks into legitimate crews and takes over from the inside and such. Does anyone have any recommendations for that? Space pirates are good too.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

I mean, there's a whole Sanderson thread to poo poo in with passive-aggressive posting...

Tangentially related: thanks to the giveaway I have finally managed to read Murderbot 3 and 4 and can't wait for the novel provided it will be priced as a novel. Murderbot is an outright adorable protagonist in a genre seriously lacking in those.

I preordered it then saw it is about the length of two of the novellas, then canceled because I'm in a state where I want to read really long poo poo. I hope it goes on sale some day.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I have to say that I absolutely love the first bit of Monster, but I'm not exactly sure how to describe why. Other than it gave me that same feeling I get when big corporations are shocked and appalled when their own bad behavior actually comes back and gets them.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

one of the protagonists of Oath of Fealty is a genius engineer (of course) named Tony Rand (of course). his catch phrase: "think of it as evolution in action." :smug:

One thing that stuck out for me was at the end there was a character who was tired of all the racist politics and was moving to Rhodesia (which has a black president and is doing very well for itself!).

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Hobnob posted:

Oddly true, even though Footfall contains the African-American cannibal gang.
Edit: Wait! I'm misremembering. It's Lucifer's Hammer that has the cannibals. I remember it being not awful, apart from that bit. It feels more like an airport thriller though, rather than sf.

Yeah. As I think I've said in this thread before, Niven on his own is usually fine, or at least tolerable. Pournelle is a very bad influence on him. Oath of Fealty in particular is constant libertarian trash.

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought the point of oath of feality was that they were wrong to build the acrology like a walled community and they should have made it less like a fortress? I also remember that characters at the end were all like "oops, should have done it differently".

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did you read Vacuum Diagrams? Because that's the only one of Baxter's works I'd actively recommend (it's a short story collection, spanning time and all set in the Xeelee universe) and if you already read the bad books you might as well get the good one done.

I think I would have liked Vacuum Diagrams better if they didn't have the framing story that keep contorting to try and justify the why of each story. As it is I stopped at the one in the living plant tree universe?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Quinton posted:

I was a bit worried about diving into The Tyrant Baru Cormorant without rereading the previous books, but the opening got me back up to speed pretty quickly (but nicely done without a clunky Last Time on Baru Betrays Everyone wall of exposition) and I am excited to be back in this depressing world!

I was wondering about rereading. I'm still rereading Gideon before going into Harrow, and I did reread Traitor before reading Monster, but I was wondering if I should reread Traitor and Monster, or just Monster, or skip that. (Very economical to reread books I guess).

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

PawParole posted:

Just went on a bing of the xeelee sequence novels and holy poo poo the books get wild towards the end ( I read it backwards lol)

Flinging black holes at each other and inter-galactic wars where they time travel to cancel out each other’s tactics isn’t even spoiling the story at all, that’s in the blurb. It gets way tcrazier from there.

I bounced off vacuum diagrams. Felt too much like a contrived framing device to connect what felt like an otherwise unrelated collection of short stories. Do the novels hold together better?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

fritz posted:

You know what's even more common is UTIs and yet I can only think of one book in which they appear.

I mean, yeah. I can only think of the one in The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley. I thought there was one in the Hyperion saga but it was just kidney stones.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

tildes posted:

Recliners is apparently also free on the Apple bookstore right now 👍🏻 just picked it up.

Amazon kindle store also. "Buy now for free"

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

General Battuta posted:

You joke, but some weird poo poo goes down on this colony, there’s spaceports falling into the earth and huge spiraling mounds controlling behavior and chthonic orgies.

Well now I'm interested but it doesn't look like it's on kindle. Amazon is selling a 30 dollar paperback version.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

pradmer posted:

The Dispossessed by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC11GA/

quote:

Review
“This novel, by a celebrated Hungarian poet, depicts the world of his childhood…The narrator, a young boy whose family is shunned-it was once wealthy and is suspected of being Jewish-endures beatings, hunger, and taunts with the fatalism of someone who has never known anything else.” (New Yorker) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

I'm not familiar, did Ursula K Le Guin used to publish under male pseudonyms?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I almost bought earthseed because "hey a full series!" but "A multiple Hugo and Nebula Award winner’s powerful saga of survival and destiny in a near-future dystopian America." and I'm not sure if I want to read dystopian future America right now.

Is it actually really good and I should get it?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Oh man! Bought iron dragons mother just a week ago for full price. Finished it two days ago.

I found it interesting that it was like 14 real years between book 1 and 2, and 12 from 2 to 3.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Only quibble I had in Stars are legion are all the characters pointing out how things aren't poisonous, or how nothing really rots, and how things aren't actually trying to kill you, when they're presumably talking about the world they've spent their while lives in and I'm not sure where they would have acquired any other worldview where those things weren't true.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's living his dream

The Doors of Eden were like if a cosmic horror had a well balanced sane protagonist. Had all sorts of weird sapient races.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah it's honestly one of the better things i've ever learned about from this thread. it is a strange, experimental passion project that one guy makes basically negative money writing, but there's a lot to it to like (e.g.: the entire way gender is handled is very internally consistent in a specific way but i think literally never explained lol)

Any links to the books or store page? Googling "Commonweal" is coming up dry for me. Also i don't think it's a good idea to try claiming that the scrfi and fantasy thread is too good for web serials.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Ccs posted:

Kings of Paradise I got about 10 pages into. We're presented with a kid with birth defects who supposed to be a super genius. To the point that his brain developed so early that he can remember being in the womb. He describes this as warm and red. Red? There's no light in the womb, it's inside a human body. It's gonna be dark, and not enough light penetrates the skin and into the uterus for subsurface scattering of light to make the womb seem "red", even if there was a kid in there that had the ability to open his eyes.

Maybe these are petty complaints but both screamed "amateur" to me and I went back to reading KJ Parker.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fetus-vision-hearing-development-uterus-2016-9 light makes it inside the womb by the way.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

Fantasy authors need to stop doing this. It’s a tired and offensive trope. Not calling you out specifically it just frustrates me to see it.

Offensive?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Terror

Traitor
Monster
Tyrant
Ends Of

Terror, Horror, Abomination, Murderer, Genocide, Plague

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Though I've noticed people already confusing the order of Monster and Tyrant. Pretty sure Terror would also confuse people (but that is true for nearly any series so probably shouldn't be that much of a consideration).

Ends Of would be much more clearly the end, except if there is a book 5.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
That's sounds like something i want to check out. Wild that 2010 was so different than now, feels like yesterday to me.

Edit: Google search brought up the wrong book. Searching...

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Are there any e-ink readers that are small? I have a kindle paperwhite that I never read because it's too big, so I just do the app on my phone but I would prefer an ereader.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
That's my plan. My web serials have dried up so I'm to read the last cradle book, then go full on literary whiplash and reread/read all 4 Terra Ignota books.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Reading through To Light the Lightning again and I forgot how much of this is trying to figure out what's society and what's Mycroft being weird.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

A Carly Rae Jihad posted:

It’s so good. I never read the third or fourth book so I might restart the series soon.

Tbh I don’t think Mycroft ever really lies to you? The biggest “misleading” thing he does is assign gender based on peoples vibes (which rules)

The thing I had in mind was the stuff about pretending you can't understand the language you don't identify as as your primary spoken language. It's plausible to me that society has that as a norm but I really can't tell if anyone else thinks that.

Other thing I'm finding again, going through their remembrance day stuff, is that their society and world sound so much better than what we have now. Oh my god I want to live there except for all the garbage that happens after.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

It definitely took some inspiration from Starship Troopers considering the various similarities such as the Tyranid and the bugs sharing more than a passing resemblance.

40k in Gehenna or Warhammer 40k?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
What's it called when it's Checkof's gun except it just sits there on the wall and never ever shoots anyone?

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Maybe Pennsylvania is just weird? Like, Night in the Woods is set in one of the fading mining towns and they packed it with lore inspired by local history. And there that town that's always on fire that inspired silent hill.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

DurianGray posted:

I speed/scan read sometimes, but only when it's a book that I'm not enjoying very much and for whatever reason I need to finish and can't just drop. Definitely never retain anything but broad strokes doing that, though.

Unrelated to that, I recently read You Sexy Thing by Cat Rambo, which has an incredibly bizarre title (it's the name of a sentient space ship that's a main character in the book, turns out!) but was pretty enjoyable. It felt like a combination of the kind of rag-tag, doing-their-best crew you'd find a Becky Chambers book but with a good amount more violence and space pirates.

Currently I'm about a fifth of the way through Too Like the Lightning and liking it a lot! I picked it up a while ago based on all the recs here, but only just got around to reading it. I was about to ask how the sequel is, but apparently, the fourth one in the series came out last month (I thought there were only two, hah). Has anyone read them all?

The sequel is basically just part two of the book (like i had forgotten that it was book two on the reread until suddenly "end of book one of the history of the world" before we had even gotten to things i 'remembered' from the first book)

Reading the first three and then diving into 4th here, bit of the way into book two. I remember the first time i read this, at this point i hated all the characters and wanted them all to fail. Enjoying it a lot more on second read through now that i have a bit more context.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I read and watched the bbc series in parallel and that helped me get through the first hundred pages.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
There is the last angel https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/ about an ai embodied dreadnaught, built by humans at their peak development before being conquered and subjuigated by an alien alliance, which has been wageing the war alone for thousands of years. But the story is posted on a bunch of forum threads so it's kind of difficult (for me at least) to keep track of the reading order.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Hollismason posted:

drat I hate when a book you're reading ends on a killer cliffhanger and you know you're not going to find out what happens for like 2 more books because the author has decided to take a break and do something different with the next few books.

I've had that happen then you realize the book was published in like 1995 and the author died in 2014 or something. I think metaplanetary did that.

Edit: oops they're still alive. Was thinking about when gravity fails by George Alec Effinger.

Sibling of TB fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 10, 2022

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Just realized that even though i have a bunch of them, I've never actually read any books by Octavia E. Butler. Should fix that.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Going from Perhaps the Stars (which was loving amazing holy crap!) Directly into the latest Stross new management book is giving me horrible tonal whiplash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Currently reading How High We Go in the Dark by Sequoia Nagamatsu. It’s set in the near future, where everything sucks in a similar way to the present: there’s a pandemic, due to a mysterious virus found in the melting Siberian permafrost. It seems to mutate organs in unpredictable ways, and primarily infects children and advanced elderly, though there’s heavy foreshadowing for it mutating into something that can infect adults. It’s a great book to read if you want to ruin your whole day: chapter 2 features an underemployed comedian who ends up working as a Mickey Mouse analogue at a euthanasia park for children, complete with a 2000 foot murdercoaster; a few chapters later we get a lab pig that became sentient and learned to talk, and it’s about to learn that it was raised to grow organs for harvesting, and that the mutation in its brain is going to kill it eventually. There’s even a funeral industry cryptocoin: “For only one thousand bereavement crypto-tokens, you can scatter your loved one’s ashes on a one-hour cruise around SanFancisco Bay.”

Haha! Holy poo poo just your description really brought me down. I guess I'll pass on that one.