Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pradmer posted:

Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/
This is a great book, great series, highly recommended

Fighting Trousers posted:

My understanding is that steampunk isn't so much a genre as an aesthetic - lots of brass and exposed gears and goggles and ladies with their corsets on the outside. The actual content of the stories seems to be secondary.
I don't want to be "the guy who defends steampunk" because I don't really like it, but there is some philosophy behind it. The Victorian era is one of Great Men and people who were Born Better. The fixation on steam technology brings in the prospect that maybe a smart person could just look at any machine and intuitively understand it.

So, it essentially ends up being a great genre for folks who are impressed with their own cleverness and rigid status hierarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The best steampunk is definitely about folks dealing with how lovely a steampunk world would be.

In other news, I'm half way through Philip K Dick's The Simulacra (thanks for the on sale notifications, pradmer!) right now and man is it a trip. It takes place around the year 2040, where the US has expanded to include West Germany, we have time travel, personal rockets to Mars, and everyone is constantly smoking. So, not a lot of great foresight there, but the real fun stuff is the PKD-ness of it. PKD has this idea that our reality is contained within a spiritual thing he calls the black iron prison that we should all work to ascend out of in some way. This is discussed in a dissertation here (first sentence: "In February and March of 1974, Philip K. Dick communicated directly with God."), and questions about "what even is reality?" go through almost all of his work.

It's fun stuff.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I call Expense Account Sinner.
Yeah, that looks like around 158 books right there, with imprints ranging from Sundown Reader to Evening Reader

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Kalman posted:

Best thing Stephenson ever wrote.

RDM posted:

It's garbage. 80s supermarket checkout thriller about nonsense.
Hmm, both these reviews can't be right...

The book summary posted:

Meet Sangamon Taylor, a New Age Sam Spade who sports a wet suit instead of a trench coat and prefers Jolt from the can to Scotch on the rocks. He knows about chemical sludge the way he knows about evil—all too intimately. And the toxic trail he follows leads to some high and foul places...

Or can they?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pradmer posted:

God Emperor of Dune (Dune #4) by Frank Herbert - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F0WXX6/

What is the story with these sales? Did some Amazon algorithm see that a lot of people were stopping at Dune #3 and decide to try to push people forward? Do the publishers feel this is the book that will be better appreciated right now? It is just 40% random because it is free money to sell a Kindle book?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pradmer posted:

The Boy on the Bridge (Girl with All the Gifts #2) by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LL8BX9Q/
I never knew there was a sequel, does anyone know if its any good?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Remulak posted:

It’s excellent; I’ve never experienced such a sense of utter dread in my life (from media). I think I posted about that in this very thread. Closest was watching 28 Days Later when the guy from the roof with a daughter exactly my daughter’s age at the time was gonna go into the tunnel.

Even better than a recommendation is a recommendation not to read it while in uncertain circumstances!

Thanks!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah I'll get right on reading War and Peace in elementary school.
"War and Peace in elementary school" sounds like it could be a really fun and meaningful book if done well.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

fermun posted:

I am a US citizen and I worked for the Indian Consulate for about 9 months where my job was 6 hours a day processing applications for Overseas Citizen of India documentation and then for 2 hours a day I was required to take off my dress shirt, where I was supposed to wear a heavy metal t-shirt underneath to look like a bouncer, and smoke a nicotine-free vape, wait for a car (driven by a guy from Nepal) to show up, then I'd open up a locked door and transfer 6 locked suitcases to the trunk (it was always 6, sometimes one or two would be clearly empty), hop in, and go to an off-site location where they'd do additional security checks if needed, phone/online customer support, and various other things. I would say maybe half the people working there were not Indian citizens.

I have a water carbonator thing where you put a mix of baking soda and citric acid into a compartment and close it up and then it will squirt some sacrificial water into there which generates CO2 and bubbles that CO2 around through a water bottle you hook up to the machine which will carbonate the water and every 4th of July and Labor Day I buy a couple packs of hot dogs, pour out the 30ish mL of packing water and add some fresh water to make a lightly hot dog-flavored carbonated water and bring it to whatever BBQ party I go to. It's both better and worse than it sounds. Better tasting, worse smelling, and also you don't want to drink it when you're actually eating a hot dog, and it for some reason makes everyone whose tried it not feel as hungry come dinner time unless they give it a couple hours, so they don't eat as much as they normally would then they are absolutely ravenously hungry later in the evening and if they're drinking then they often have drank on an empty stomach.

Neal Stephenson! I like your books but these nano-stories are a lot more manageable.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

MockingQuantum posted:

how is the baroque cycle? Any strong opinions? if it helps I liked Snow Crash and Diamond Age a lot when I was younger but thought both were silly, but fine, when I reread them as an adult, and I absolutely despised Seveneves. I'm not certain I've read any other Stephenson but I do like historical fiction, generally speaking.

I remember enjoying the Baroque cycle. Lots of fun anecdotes and interesting bits of history. Lots of facts involves, with some definite and obvious story thrown in. Some parts I really liked, and I'm sure they're all his own tilt on history but I find them comforting (mild thematic and general plot spoilers) I liked the idea that progress improves when there is no strong central authority, you really saw that in the difference between England and France. I also liked the finance history and how gold was used for currency simply because of its density..
I'd like to read it again some day, but who's got that kind of time?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

got some chores tonight posted:

I genuinely don't know if I can recommend it. I couldn't stop reading the first three, but there were times where I was just trying to get through it.
I feel like this is the common review from folks who really like Palmer's books.

I have a lot of thoughts on the book, but its been so long since I read it that I won't go into it except to say that I was hoping the JEDD plot would go in a different direction.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Stephenson is absolutely the last person I would guess for authors who wrote with a fountain pen, tied with Plato.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

My uncle gifted me a box full of Philip K Dick novels. It’s not every single one of them, but it’s a lot.

I’m new to PKD, other than all the movie adaptations. I started reading Radio Free Albemuth and it feels like a sequel to something else. Or at least is meta enough that it’s probably not the one to start with. Should I read Valis first? Or another one?
I think this is useful context for reading Philip K Dick, definitely for the last books but also the early ones.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Annath posted:

Visiting New England, stopped in Providence.

Had to snap a photo of HP Lovecraft's house:

No plaque or anything. I also visited the John Hay Library, which has the collection of his letters, but viewing is by appointment only, and not on Saturdays.

You should check out Lovecraft's tombstone too. It's in Swan Point Cemetery, which has some great memorials near the river, and there's often something weird done to Lovecraft's grave around this time of year.
The grave itself isn't anything special tho

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can anyone recommend a good recent science fiction or fantasy short story collection?

pradmer posted:

Exhalation: Stories by Ted Chiang - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD46PQZ/

Exhalation has some really great stuff. It's more thinky than exciting or emotionally engaging, but there are stories that will stick with you

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

General Battuta posted:

I think the Jade books are at their best when they're closely aping 70s crime lit (including most obviously The Godfather). The martial arts stuff is fine but for me the real meat is drugs, sex, domestic violence and terrible family dynamics. Also food and the relationship between small business and crime.

I should do a Jade City Sopranos fanfic. He never had the makings of a green pillarman

Fonda Lee has a background in management consulting and it comes through in the books. I like the do-crimes-punch-things side, but if you want a book with some magic (which is small and never expands) and international business relations that is more believable than "Kingdom of Valley Men vs Clan of Daffodil Haters", then the Jade books are pretty much the only choice. The series focus definitely shifts from punches to business over the trilogy, and I love it. I love that this crime family has great plan for doing med schools and media outreach.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Has anyone read the full Machineries of Empire series? The first book is Ninefox Gambit. How is it? I've been curious about it for a sec, but I occasionally see some mixed reactions.

I enjoyed the first book, but dropped the second around 30% through. The author tried to portray the main character as a strategic genius, but its all space magic bullshit with no real rules, so it felt like a narcissist describing their hypothetical D&D game.
The first book was carried forward on the audacity of the space magic bullshit tho.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I started A Player of Games recently and I feel like it's just gonna be "look how dumb and evil this thinly veiled equivalent to modern society is! Doesn't it make you think?" Like, I want to know more about the games and the Culture, I don't need a book to tell me that capitalism, racism, and sexism is bad.

Yeah, player of games is neat but it doesn't have much actual culture stuff going on, and I think people suggest it as an entry point because of that. I don't remember it being overly moralistic in the sense of people learning Important Lessons or anything, but there's a lot (which you've already seen) about this one culture guy (who is himself a weirdo by Culture standards) just seeing people being jerks and not getting it.

There's one overarching culture question it gets into, particularly at the end: What is even the point of people in the AI driven society? In player of games, it becomes clear that the AIs wanted Jerk City to fall apart, so they picked one person out of their unthinkably huge society, and manipulated and managed him over the course of years into knocking that society apart. Any anxiety or personal growth was just some friction in this larger machine, which the main character doesn't really care about, he was just there to play a game.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Eh, I really like Look to Windward and I'd argue it's the most Culture book because its just a bunch of (non-Culture) folks farting around in Culture Utopia, but just being in Utopia doesn't mean their problems are solved, but it does mean that the idea of "accomplishment" is very different.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Throughout all recorded history, people have been searching for "Academia, but less self-important".

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pradmer posted:

Against a Dark Background by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CT0TXK/

Not a Culture book, but one of my favorite Banks Books. Probably based on a role playing game.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I almost done with Children of Time, really loving the book, and I was hit unexpectedly hard by crazy space-mom Kern finding out her children weren't highly evolved primates, they were highly evolved spiders, but she still loves them and now she has a deeper understanding of what they've been going through.

I think its a situation we can all relate to.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Poldarn posted:

The Culture novels have some pretty interesting space fights, but its not a huge feature of the series.

It's not what I'd recommend someone who's looking for a great space battle, but I really liked the bit in Surface Detail where The ship knows there's someone following them, so they put their human occupant in all sorts of safety gear and offer to give them a projection of what's happening. At one point when the fighting has started, the ship says "This is my favorite part". It turns out the fight took around 12 seconds and the ship just slowed it down so they could show off to the passenger.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I've been picking up like 2% of the highly recommended stuff Pradmer posts and I have a queue that will take a year to go through if it stopped growing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mdemone posted:

loving fine, I will buy my first Ishiguro today if you all promise to stop banging on about him
Sorry, he'll still be cool even if you like him. You'll just become a guy who likes cool stuff

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mystes posted:

I read the first book of that and I really need to read the rest

Terra Incognita is a great series that I read at an odd point in my life, and I don't think I can ever really recommend but I also really want to re-read. It has a lot of ideas that seem dumb, but then a layer comes off and you realize the author also sees these ideas are dumb.

You'll probably read the last book but I thought it was a letdown because it went in a direction I did not want it to go.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

In the spirit of this post - are there any sci fi stories where “the far future but no space colonization” is the premise?

Thematically, I'll recommend Against a Dark Background. It's a space adventure set in a single, non-Earth solar system, but by the end you realize this system has re-invented space travel at least 3 times, they've advanced and fallen back, and are now mining garbage dumps from a thousand years ago, all because they are a solar system way outside the galactic ring. They can't see other stars or go anywhere, so they are just trapped in their own multi-planet world, getting slowly claustrophobic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
In Against a Dark Background I think the classes are: Lawyer, Soldier, Historian, Spy, Heiress. And everyone has combat training and magic that makes them work well together just because.
Where ttrpg-ish books fall apart is when they're just about the fighting and the spooky dungeon and showing off how cool the main character is. Those are not problems in this book.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Very good book, occasionally wish I never read it

E: One could say it... bugs me

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
That got me a little pumped for Exordia 2

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

frogbs posted:

Ugh, sorry guys, wasn’t quite awake this morning.

Couldn’t stand the spider chapters. If I have to read the words Understandings or Palps one more drat time…

To each their own, but I remember 3BP having a compelling and odd mystery, but horribly, laughably flat characters and it replaced thoughtfulness with cynicism (more so in the later books). Children of Time is not perfect but it is the far side of the world from that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'd compare the first book more to a quick ghost story than sci fi. It has a spooky Lovecraftian "look at this weird town and their unexplained traditions" vibe. If you go in expecting something light and atmospheric, you'll enjoy. If you want a metaphor for humanity or hard sci-fi, no.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Stuporstar posted:

Omg there’s another Garth Marenghi book and it’s on sale today. https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Marenghis-Incarcerat-TERRORTOME-BESTSELLER-ebook/dp/B0CSYZ8TVS

Dare I buy it? :thunk:

Book 1, TerrorTome is on sale https://www.amazon.com/Garth-Mareng...ps%2C104&sr=8-1

I'm phone posting so sorry about the url junk.
E jfc that's what you were saying my brain is just a puddle today sorry

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm good at a variety of engineering math ranging from Fourier to Bayes to complexity, and eigenvalues have always made me irrationally angry, partly because of stuff like that. I can't tell if it means something, or if it is the mathematical equivalent of 2 people wearing the same outfit to a party.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's a common point between Crichton and Declare that makes it unsatisfying to me. They both take place in essentially the real world, so despite having big stuff happen, it all unravels by the end and essentially nothing changes. It ends up feeling like the message is "Here's some interesting stuff, it will have no impact."

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm open to just being someone who doesn't like historical fiction, but I thought the Baroque Cycle illustrated some parts of history I wasn't familiar with and showed some historical themes that were interesting to me.
I feel like Crichton's work (which I haven't read in forever, so maybe its just my high school brain talking) was more about the plot and the plot just circles back on itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

eighty-four merc posted:

I don’t think they were sentient.

(Revelation Space spoilers)

I think you’re referencing a scene in chapter 9 when Volyova’s on the way to speak with the captain and notices a cache-weapon out of place.

It’s later revealed to Khouri, after the same cache-weapon seemingly arms itself, that the Mademoiselle took control of it to kill Sylveste by destroying the planet Resurgam.

Volyova ends up destroying the cache-weapon by wrestling it into Nostalgia for Infinity’s engine wake with the spider-room.

This sounds like some perfect sci-fi bullshit, I need to check this book out but I just started BotNS. One more To Be Read