Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I was thiiiiis close to picking up Priory of the Orange Tree when I saw it at a bookstore last week, but I didn't know enough about it. Sounds like it is good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

How do people keep track of the books they want to read?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Maybe Brust's Vlad Taltos novels. There's like 15 books and aren't too grim or anything.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gideon the Ninth fuckin rules, and the old co-host of GUTS is a really good narrator for the audiobook.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A while ago I was looking for some, eh, comfortable fantasy? Someone recommended Misenchanted Sword and it was perfect. Are the other books in that series good?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most of them are yeah but they vary a bit up and down. MS is clearly the best thing in the series but there are a couple others that are about as good (my favorite is Ithanalin's Restoration but read Spell of the Black Dagger first).

Nice, I will continue on then.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I think the ones everyone acknowledges as weakest are "With a Single Spell," "Blood of a Dragon," and "Taking Flight." WaSS is still worth reading though because the characters pop up again frequently in the later ones.

Valder has a couple minor cameos later on but he doesn't show up much.

Just started WaSS, just because it said it was the second book.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It might be too slice of life for you but I really enjoyed Healer's Road. Goblin Emperor wasnt exactly comfortable, but was also very good. I have no idea if those are anything close to Misenchanted Sword cuz I haven't read it yet.

I'd definitely put Goblin Emporer in there too, I loved that book. I'm not even sure if Misenchanted Sword falls into the cozy category, it's more traditional farmer boy gets involved in big things type fantasy that I first read as a kid, so maybe more nostalgia than cozy, at least for me.

Will check out Healers Road, slice of life does it for me too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

To add to the list, I really enjoyed The Unwilling Warlord.

Well that's the next one in the series, and I'm going to finish up WaSS this morning, so looking forward to that.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

The first Temeraire novel was not horrible and I got so excited

Hoo booy black diamond downhill slope there

I liked them until they went to fuckin Australia or whatever.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Khizan posted:

I got the Gideon the Ninth audiobook with a free Audible credit thing that Amazon emailed me a while back, and to my surprise I've been enjoying listening to it in the car despite my long history of not being able to deal with them. I've got another 2 free credits from a trial to spend, and I'm looking for some more titles that are particularly good in audiobook form.

I don't care if I've read them before or not. I honestly feel like I'm only enjoying the Gideon audiobook so much because I've read it before, so I'm okay with pausing it for a few days or only listening in little bits between errands and such. Also, I'm not particularly looking for books that are parts of giant series, so I'd prefer to avoid things like the Dresden Files or Wheel of Time.

Any suggestions?"

I really liked the narration on Spinning Silver, and it's a standalone book too.

Edit: Thoughts on the Lightbringer series? Thinking about starting some big rear end fantasy books.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 12, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Not sure if this got lost, but any thoughts on the Lightbringer series? Looking for some big rear end fantasy books to get into.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

pradmer posted:

Thanks. Glad I'm not just annoying everyone.

Nope, I picked up Rage of Dragons
Much appreciated.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

OK. About a year ago I decided I wanted to read more female SF authors. Since then I've read some novels by Le Guin (The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed) and Murderbots, of course... and that's about it. Help me get back on this train. I prefer harder SF but will settle for anything good. I've been meaning to check out Cherryh since she's brought up regularly but have no idea where to start.

Becky Chambers. It's more character based than hard SF, but good.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

How has no one recommended Bujold yet if we're discussing good female sci-fi authors. Also seconding the Chambers nomination.

I'll also second the Bujold rec, also in the fantasy vein, Robin Hobb.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Yup, the Wayfarers series is where you want to be.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any good scifi or fantasy books that prominently feature a hivemind entity/race? For those of you who have played System Shock 2, I am new to it and realized that The Many greatly interest me and I'd like to see more of the same or similar. I am no good at FPSes so Halo and the Flood are out. Besides, as much as love me some video games, nothing beats a good book with regards to bizarre alien lifeforms.

I've gotten some great recs in the past in here and was hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance.

Ancillary Justice, maybe?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I did not like Luminous Dead at all, had to put it down halfway through. However, I would like someone to play with my hair.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Someone mentioned Eifleheim here and I decided to check it out. I really liked it, aside from the end feeling a little anticlimactic to me.

I wish they had gone more into the whole multiple dimension space travel stuff. I suppose it would be way more than the scope of the book, but I really wanted to see more of that happening.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://thefantasyinn.com/2018/10/11/intro-to-female-authored-speculative-fiction/

I have quibbles with some of the choices but I keep seeing authors and going "hmm yes" so this checks out

Looking at the list real quick just reminded me of Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave. That was one of my first fantasy novels after LOTR. I haven't thought of that book in 20 years. I seem to remember it kinda lost me when Merlin got older.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Groke posted:

Get this, it owns.

Totally forgot that existed and I wanted to read it at some point.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I see it as male just because I've listened to all the books on audiobook and it's a male narrator.

BTW the narration on these is really good.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

pradmer posted:

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

The Lord of Castle Black (Viscount of Adrilankha #2) by Steven Brust - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003H4I4W2/

This Alien Shore by CS Friedman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VB3F2Q/

The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BKR14LA/

Ghosts of Gotham by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZGXP13/

Wool: The Graphic Novel by Hugh Howey plus multiple - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL6CY4K/

These posts have increased my backlog substantially.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Would Eifelheim count as theological first contact?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

There's that Rage of Dragons book, I haven't read it yet but I heard it was decent?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well if you're talking post apocalyptic fantasy, N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy is I guess an obvious recommendation.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just finished up A Fire Upon the Deep and really liked it. Are the other two books any good?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

That there Greg Bear book with the apocalypse stuff, uhhh, The Forge of God.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

In the middle or the new Abercrombie and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Gotta say though, I never figured him to be the kind of author to get misogynistic fucks up in arms about powerful women in books. Kind of a pleasant surprise.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How does it compare to the First Law? My mates keep recommending the rest of Abercrombie, but I found TFL kind of grimey and unpleasant.

That's kind of Abercrombie's thing, however I kind of feel like the humor has come out more in later books? That could be my imagination though, I haven't read his older books in years.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just finished the audiobook of Piranesi. It's read by Chiwetel Ejiofor, and he did an amazing job.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Agreed. It was his first book that I read, and it was disappointing to discover that nothing else of his I wrote measured up to it. :sigh:

I thought Pushing Ice was up there with it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I'm like halfway through Kings of the Wyld, and I maye just have to stop, which I almost never do. I am listening on audiobook so I guess that might color my opinion of it.

It feels like a bad PG-13 version of Abercrombie. The humor hits with a thud and the world building kinda stinks. It's annoying because I can almost see a good story in there.

Also kind of a coincidence but I started KJ Parkers The Company, which seems like a much better "getting the band back together" story, at least so far.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Gorefiend posted:

PG13 Abercrombie is dead on, but I'm stubborn and ended up finishing it. The sequel was one of the worst things I've ever read, and randomly introduced an entirely different villain in the last chunk.

Ok yes gently caress it, time to look for a new audiobook to listen to. Good thing it was only 3 bucks.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Groke posted:

Are you familiar with Parker, or is this your first?

The only other one I've read was 16 ways to defend a walled city.

Uhhh why? Should I be expecting something bad?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Marshal Radisic posted:

It's a lot easier to see the connection if you look at his historical fiction. I'd personally recommend The Walled Orchard duology (Goatsong, The Walled Orchard). They're the memoirs of an Athenian comic playwright that focus on his experiences in the Peloponnesian War and the collapse of Athens. There's less in the way of violence than in the books he wrote under the Parker name (well, save for the depiction of the Syracuse campaign in the second book), but that rueful humor in the face of human folly is still there.

That last sentence was very artfully put, I like it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I'm like halfway through Kings of the Wyld, and I maye just have to stop, which I almost never do. I am listening on audiobook so I guess that might color my opinion of it.

It feels like a bad PG-13 version of Abercrombie. The humor hits with a thud and the world building kinda stinks. It's annoying because I can almost see a good story in there.

Also kind of a coincidence but I started KJ Parkers The Company, which seems like a much better "getting the band back together" story, at least so far.

Quoting myself here because I forgot to mention, there is a "the cake is a lie" joke. In a novel released in 2017. The more I think about this stupid book the more frustrated I get.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

I cannot stop listening to the audiobook version of A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik, and this is the third time through. I’ve really enjoyed Uprooted and Spinning Silver, but for some reason this is sticking with me. I might have to go to the recommendation thread for suggestions.

I also really enjoyed that audiobook. I can also recommend Piranesi, read by Chiwetel Ejiofor. It was amazing.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I had no idea there was a new Becky Chambers Wayfarers novel out, The Galaxy, and the Ground Within.

I'm gonna pick it up, wondering if anyone has gotten to it yet.

Edit: ah gently caress, nevermind. I looked real quick and it had a publication date of Feb 18, but now I see it isn't until April.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Cacto posted:

I just finished reading it - it’s definitely out on kindle at least. Some real sad moments. Very much like the previous in the series so if you liked them you should get it.

Are you in the US? Not on Kindle for me.