Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Can anyone recommend a book to me that's has a plausible but fun exploration of alien life in it? I was thinking Children of Time (not actually aliens, I know) but how propulsive is it? Is it quite a slow read?

Also, anything where aliens learn of and interact with our world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

If that's not really your bag (and it's not mine), but are interested in the ideas Exordia presents, I highly recommend reading the short story Anna Saves Them All. (Don't read if you plan to read Exordia.)

https://www.shimmerzine.com/anna-saves-them-all-by-seth-dickinson/

Is there any link between this and Exordia because they seem very similar?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Having only a passing understanding of Blindsight and it's plot... what's the deal with the vampires and them ending the book wiping out humanity? How does that tie into the themes?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Nemo posted:

Read Annihilation, it was fun and short.

Should i read the sequels?

Can i watch the movie now or does it include sequel material?

You can watch the movie now, but personally, I'd recommend going in with expectations lower than the basement. It is... not good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The Villeneuve Dune films are good but let's not pretend they didn't get around the books being "unfilmable" by cutting out anything that could be called "unfilmable".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jedit posted:

My copy of Exordia is in, finally. It'll still have to wait until I finish reading Wild Cards: Sleeper Straddle though.

This particular Wild Cards volume is one of the better ones and probably the best since the original cycle.

What's a good guide for someone wanting to get into Wild Cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

frogbs posted:

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

Which is the one you can't stand?