Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New calibre is out, up to 4.0.

I keep dutifully downloading them but I'm not sure I could tell you a single thing that's changed about calibre in the years I've used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Book of the New Sun is so good. It is indeed very good at making you like Severian, which is great because in universe he wrote it for more or less that reason

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I'm not really sure what a reading speed means judged by pages/hour unless everything you read is written at the same level. I'm all about pacing but if you're reading, like, Sebald at 150 pages an hour then you're just letting the words go in and out. Bad pacing is a common problem in SFF like everywhere else but I think evaluating it has gotta be more complicated than "slow = bad."

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

orange sky posted:

I've read a lot of space operas, and never got around to read A Fire Upon the Deep (I know I know).

I started reading it recently, just at night before bed, and it wasn't really pulling me in.

But after reading the end of the first act last night.. Holy poo poo I can't put it down

I just started reading it as well and was having a similar experience, great to hear that it picks up because I was thinking about putting it down.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

A human heart posted:

i'm sure the goon who wrote a book called mr shivers is a real giant of writing craft

the "canon" includes works titled The Hunting of the Snark, Miss Marjoribanks, and Humphrey Clinker

By all means desperately attempt to dunk on people in the SFF thread but do try to suck at it less