Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i recommend everyone read the entire hyperion series just to experience the work and the author going off the rails simultaneously

If you don't have the time for four books, Ilium/Olympos is the same experience, and you only have to get through a couple chapters before it gets medication-level crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

BurningBeard posted:

Finished The Book of Strange New Things by Faber, again.

Overall I enjoyed it, and was compelled to finish it, but while not nearly as gnarly as Under The Skin i think on the whole it was actually a good deal more cynical.

Faber’s got such a good eye for the unspoken behaviors driving people, and that’s my favorite part. But the protagonist in this one is such a shithead, not a bad person, but a shithead, that it was really frustrating to read. I mean mostly when he starts patronizing his wife via sci-fi email while her world crumbles around her, and by the time he realizes what an rear end in a top hat he was it’s probably too late to matter.

Some of the themes in Skin get revisited here, namely malevolent corporate indifference, and I like those parts of the book.

But for a book about faith and spirituality, I think faith itself was treated one-dimensionally. If that weren’t so central to the book, I wouldn’t have anything to complain about but it is, and Faber’s got a nasty tendency to undercut the moments of character growth by cheaply applying crowbar events with such heavy-handed overtones that it really diminishes any change that arises out of the character.

In Skin, it was the rape of the protagonist, and in Strange New Things, it’s the realization that the aliens don’t heal by natural means. Granted, that realization works better in Things, but it comes so late in the book that there’s no time to acclimate. Peter has an almost identical crisis to the protagonist of Skin, but with way less of the nuance than she got.

A decent book. I mean it was 600 pages and I bashed through it in two days. But, and this is obviously subjective, the more time I spend in Faber’s headspace, the more his blindspots and shortcomings show themselves.
His characters are pretty one-dimensional, and he's just bad at writing any kind of interpersonal dialog or relationship. There are books he's written where that's not a big problem, but The Book of Strange New Things tries to be a character-driven book and it just doesn't land. I really liked The Sparrow, and I liked the first quarter or so of The Book of Strange New Things, but then it just dragged on for a while and finally ended.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

roomtone posted:

what are the best standalone fantasy novels

i'll accept stuff that takes place in a world shared by other books but the story is totally standalone, as long as it doesn't require pre-existing worldbuilding and lore
I really liked The Ten Thousand Doors of January. Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book is also very good. As mentioned, The Raven Tower is excellent.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

FPyat posted:

The Stars My Destination had a killer fast pace and a sense of fun and imagination on a level I don't encounter often. Already feeling like I'm starting to forget what happens in it, though.
I think this has the Citizen Kane problem; it seems kinda cartoonish and the plot seems like a million other sci-fi stories because of how influential it was and how many authors have ripped off parts of it over the last 70 years.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

buffalo all day posted:

Alexander dumas is mad as hell and he’s coming for you
"The Count of Monte Cristo but with spaceships" is probably one of the scifi tropes that gets ripped off the most.

Although as I write this, I realize I don't know if The Stars My Destination was really the first book for the trope or if there's some other earlier work I've never heard of.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Copernic posted:

Watts is definitely exploring the implications of these concepts even if he's not precisely an advocate for them.
Personally, this is what I can't stand about every piece of fiction that tries to tackle evopsych. Evolution of complex systems with emergent properties is mind-bending and often wildly counterintuitive. Exploring the implications just ends up sounding like a toddler trying to explain how airplanes work.

I haven't read blindsight but I don't think, from the descriptions here, it's gonna be the book to change my mind.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

FPyat posted:

I'm rereading Diaspora by Greg Egan and it's still as mind-expandingly impactful as the day I first started reading it. Are there any other examples of fiction writing that delves super-deep into software processes? The only other examples that I can think of are the chapter in Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds where the ship's subroutine examines sensor data, and Crystal Society by Max Harms, written from the perspective of a half-dozen AI processes collectively managing a single robot body.
It's a tangential topic in a bunch of Vernor Vinge's work. A bunch of A Fire Upon The Deep is about packet routing.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Kalman posted:

Zodiac is Stephenson’s best book. I will not be taking any questions.
I just read this cause I'm a huge Neal Stephenson fan and I'd never read it before.

I would characterize this as having chosen poorly.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read both Revelation Space and Matter by Iain M Banks? I swear I'm going crazy because no one else believes me when I point out the commonalities between the books' endings.
"We awoke a planet-level threat poking around in ancient ruins" isn't exactly an uncommon scifi trope, and that's about the total of the similarities.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Hot drat, Golden Son, the second book of the Red Rising series was incredible.
They're decently written, and I liked the first book, but it just didn't make the turn into a good series.

There's only so much "I'm the smartest person in the universe who can't be beaten -> I have been betrayed by my trusted confidant -> I am the smartest person in the universe who can't be beaten -> I have been betrayed by my trusted confidant -> ...." I could take. I think I stopped after the first obvious betrayal in book 3 and assume there were at least two more before that book ended, if the pattern held.

ToxicFrog posted:

That's like half the stuff C.J. Cherryh writes, especially the Alliance-Union and Compact Space books.
CJ Cherryh is probably my favorite late 70s-80s scifi author and doesn't get enough love anymore.

RDM fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 25, 2022

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

Has anyone got a recommended reading list for Cherryh excluding Cyteen? My FLCS owner just inherited a bunch from someone who has gone overseas for good and is selling them off cheap.
I would say Downbelow Station, Merchanters Luck, and Rimrunners as one group, the Chanur books as another group, and the Faded Sun trilogy as a third group.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I didn't get past 3BP so I don't know about the rest of the series, but my recollection is that I found 3BP irritating cause I thought the science was lovely. A chaotic system doesn't mean unknowable chaos, just that you have to keep updating your predictions with new observations.

Also the characters were mostly one dimensional.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They're literally from the Centauri system, it's a binary star with a third smaller star orbiting. (and so technically yeah it's a four body problem but the planet's mass is negligible compared to even Proxima Centauri)
They lived on the planet though so it's position was also important.

It's one thing to have science fiction be badly written fiction, but the least you can do if you name your book the three body problem is get that part of the science right, goddamn.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

pradmer posted:

The Girl with All the Gifts by MR Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CO7FLFG/
This was real good, and I don't normally like zombies. Plotting and writing were both very solid.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Jedit posted:

They were written at the same time. Mike Carey also appeared in the movie as a zombie, if you keep an eye out.
Didn't know there was a movie - gonna have to check it out

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Sibling of TB posted:

Stop right there! And don't continue the series.
Nooo the sequels had such brilliant writing. "Man stabbed to death by robot Abraham Lincolns over support for space octopus during space octopus war" and "I don't know how to pace a book so deus ex ends the space octopus war in a way that invalidates the entire series" were delights.

Plus they were so creepy horny.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Zoracle Zed posted:

re: blake crouch's upgrade, i got to the encrypted dna secret message and it just got way too stupid for me to continue. in case anyone's curious:
Jesus Christ. I've read better science in a Jack Chick tract.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

General Battuta posted:

'homozygous recessive on the eye color allele' which is an urban legend, terrible and discredited science
Ehh it's more or less right for white people. There's a specific mutation in an OCA2 enhancer that means you lose expression of a melanin transporter in the iris. When it's homozygous you pretty much always have blue eyes.

Yeah it interacts with all the other melanin biosynthesis and transport genes, but it's still good enough to use as a type example in undergrad genetics.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

General Battuta posted:

The alt right is talking about homozygosity!?
Ugh I hope not genetics is enough of a pain in the rear end to teach with complex trait genetic racism hanging overhead, I don't want to have to mix "eugenics is bad" into lectures about eye color or pku.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

thotsky posted:

I read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet, and while I enjoyed some of the more uplifting scenes and generally cute characters, there's a lack of radicalism to the underlying politics that is a little disgusting.
I don't know about the sequels but I found this book terrible for a couple reasons, and this was the biggest one. The universe is a bunch of disconnected wish fulfillment stuff that just doesn't come together.

It's a lot like firefly in that way.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

This take is absolutely wild to me because I don't think I have ever see Long Way lauded as "especially optimistic, politically" until your post. The setting it takes place in is a pretty crappy one, in a lot of ways, for a lot of people, and while the sequels get more up-close-and-personal with that, it's not exactly hidden in the first book.
It's been a bunch of years since I read it, but the optimism wasn't "everything's amazing in our luxury space utopia", it was "our system of government's good and you can get ahead with hard work and careful rule following/lawyering". Even the violent criminals were violent over a cultural misunderstanding and you can negotiate with them over how much crime they will commit when they have you at gunpoint in the middle of space. Sometimes one of your characters gets kidnapped by space racists and thrown into space jail for being illegally the wrong race, and the other characters just have to do some paperwork to get him out with no real consequences for anyone.

It was just... weird. It didn't come together for me (the fact that it took my *absolute* least favorite character archetypes from firefly and dialed them up to 11 didn't help). The sequels could have been better, I don't know.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

If you google for reviews that include the word 'progressive' you'll find a fair number. I figure when people say the book is 'progressive' they mean 'has aliens that gently caress'.
poo poo, by this logic Niven's the most progressive dude alive and I vaguely recall he suggested harvesting organs from illegal immigrants.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

"I know interspecies marriages are for business. It’s just, well —
I think it was just because you’re pretty and bright, and I’m
lonely, and … and maybe I’m just a bit in love with you.”
Her heart beat faster. This time it was not the gheer chemicals
responsible. Her tendrils lifted of their own accord..."
:staredog:

Why is it always tentacles

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I have read the Silmarillion! I'm at the point where I've spent like 30 years steeping myself in the LOTR universe and I'm looking to branch out haha
You should branch out into something vaguely LOTR-inspired that's also kinda trashy.

I recommend Orconomics, a book which I enjoyed and would characterize as "supermarket checkout-grade".

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

quantumfoam posted:

David Brin is a baby boomer generation contrarian rear end in a top hat that has been coddled his entire professional life.
I've read heart of the comet, which I remember nothing about, and glory season.

Glory Season is interesting because it's clearly written to be part of / inspired by the hainish cycle. And it's garbage, the answer to "what if Ursula Le Guin couldn't plot a book and was also poo poo at writing and an all around creepy guy". It's one of the few books I have actively hate read to the end just to make sure I hated it the exact right amount.

My point is that if you put me in charge of eugenics David brin would be on my list of dudes to sterilize and probably organ harvest. Dunno why he's so gung ho to establish a master race when he's one of the last people that would be included.

RDM fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2022

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

All of this talk reminded me of the League of Peoples books by James Alan Gardner, which are pretty fun.
My favorite part of this series is that the human space bureaucracy decided that putting pretty people in danger made their friends sad and therefore less efficient, but nobody cares if uggos or the disabled die, so they get all the hard or dangerous jobs.

And now after a generation of this, the only humans worth anything in a crisis are the deformed or disabled.

(It's a surprisingly good series even if the writing is pretty hit or miss)

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Sailor Viy posted:

What exactly is 'rational fiction'? Does it just mean "like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"?
The rationalist stuff I keep getting exposed to is all about using an elementary school understanding of genetics to justify racism & sexism.

I can only imagine what their fiction is, but I'm guessing it's probably not good.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Sonderval posted:

Years late to the party but just finished Gideon and Harrow. God drat they were good. I am now in the mood for more weird fantasy sci fi mashup unknown power etc. I know the next book isn’t far off but is there anything of a similar vein? I’ve always liked the idea of starting fantasy then oops all sci fi.
Darkwar by Glen Cook

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

If you have KU and haven't read This is How You Lose the Time War, it's on KU and you have a homework assignment

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of Cook, Passage at Arms might appeal to people looking for grimy, tense sci-fi.
The Dragon Never Sleeps is also a pretty decent one off scifi story from Glen Cook.

I dunno if it got chopped up in editing but it's pretty hard to get through - it feels like the narrative is all over the place and it's hard to follow who most of the characters are.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

never reading heinlein seems like a good decision so far
Nah you should read Heinlein's three good books, cause for their time they're not overly problematic, and they are classics.

Starship troopers has a weird "beat your children" and "military pseudofascism is the way to go", but also prominently says this ubermensch culture that's better than liberal democracy is full of child abduction/rape/murder and random street violence.

The moon is a harsh mistress is all about how libertarianism/anarchism is the way to go, but also prominently features group marriages to 13 year olds and the tacit acknowledgment that this only works with a Deus ex controlling everything behind the scenes.

Stranger in a strange land probably has a bunch of inherent contradictions but I never managed to finish it cause it's really kinda dry and boring. I keep getting told it's a classic though.

A better author might have written these contradictory things intentionally to make you think but Heinlein 100% just never noticed I'm sure.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

HaitianDivorce posted:

I just finished A Memory called Empire and it left me cold in a way I wasn't expecting. I think the opening is really strong--the Aztec-inspired space empire is cool, the basic problem of "how do I keep my backwater space station independent of these guys playing Civ 5 on Settler difficulty from stomping all over us" is interesting, the early "the ghost in my head is malfunctioning" complication is a great way to turn up the temperature--but then it feels like it spins its wheels for the rest of the book and things mostly happen around her?
It's a really well written series in a universe with a bunch of neat ideas. But the author does a terrible job of writing events or motivations that really work or make sense in universe, and the characters are mostly just vehicles to take you from event to event and seem to have zero actual agency or impact on the plot.

I think it's worse in the second book because at least the antagonists in the first book are agents of a massive powerful space empire, and the main antagonist in the second one is some hillbilly administrator from space guam. Plus the foreshadowing for the super alien menace is so hamfisted that the characters all look like morons for not figuring it out before the end of the book

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

For all the weird writing quirks, Harrow is really just a stock character.
:vince:

RDM fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2022

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

pradmer posted:

Earthseed: The Complete Series by Octavia E Butler - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NZBPFG/
I need to go back and read these again - we're probably pretty close to the current date in the book.

Although as I recall it's got the 80s/90s boomer near future where they assumed kids & by association society would just keep getting more and more violent. It's weird to read now that it's just like... yeah we stopped poisoning their brains with lead and things got better.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The first chapter of Red Rising is like: I am the grittiest toughest miner known to man -- a helldiver. I use my helldrill to hellmine Helium-3 as I sip from my drinktube. My frysuit is ironically named because it keeps me from frying. I spit into my helmet that stinks like piss. Here on Mars, the planet that is red, girls get married off at fourteen. Life's just that tough on the red planet but my uncle is weak and my father is dead -- everyone is weak, my hands are worn and my expression grim and the caverns of Mars smell like death. The society killed my wife on our wedding day. I am fourteen years old.
The entire rest of the series is the protagonist going "after dodging demon spiders and ultraworms with the helldrill, none of the space assassins stood a chance against my reflexes".

For some reason Kindle has been trying to sell me the 3rd book in the series for like 5 years, it's not gonna happen.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Anathem is a book that deserves the title spec fic rather than sci-fi. It's my favorite of Stephenson's works and I highly recommend it.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

And while there's obviously nuances to it, there's a general idea running through what I've read of his works that technology is cool and, by extension, so are engineers and "hackers". He seems like the kind of person who's appalled by Elon Musk now but thought Elon Musk was cool a few years ago.
There's an Elon musk insert in Seveneves. There's also a Neil degrasse Tyson insert.

Don't read Seveneves it's fuckin terrible.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

tiniestacorn posted:

Is he a villain
Melon Busk is a brilliant tech tycoon who comes to the rescue of the incredibly lovely plan to survive space apocalypse with his private spaceship, giving his life so everyone else can live.

Don't read Seveneves it's fuckin terrible.

pseudorandom name posted:

I dunno, the part where Carly Rodham Holmes almost doomed the human species was kind of funny.
I have no choice but to side with the apocalypse it is the only moral choice.

RDM fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 15, 2022

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be fair, he dies by bleeding to death through his anus because he was an idiot who didn't understand the giant nuclear engine he created. Also a bunch of his acolytes make a break for Mars and literally everyone else is just "lol RIP", and you never hear from them again.
I'll admit I remember the plot vaguely but one of the main space characters gave him a bunch of space resources or something because he was the only one smart enough to be like "you need water in space" and had a personal spaceship to go get a big ice rock and bring it back, and without it humanity would have died out.

Three cheers for the savior of humanity.

It's absolutely possible the book was making GBS threads on him the entire time and I just forgot, I don't remember anything besides a handful of plot highlights. Teal neGrasse Dyson did plot exposition and was the last man alive and I don't remember a single other thing about that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

FPyat posted:

I'm starting Speaker for the Dead ten years after I finished Ender's Game. Young me spurned reading it because of the lack of epic space war. I'm still totally thrown for a loop by the subplot of Ender's siblings taking over the world and its political discourse by posting online.
If you're thinking "huh that's not a very well thought out plotline" and that's throwing you for a loop, the next 2000 pages are going to be increasingly unpleasant for you.