Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

HopperUK posted:

My bestie went to a live reading of Terrortome and he stayed in character for an entire Q&A session afterwards.

https://play.acast.com/s/offmenu/ep-212-garth-marenghi

(spotify, apple podcats etc too) Mathew Holness has been utterly consumed by his creation, just like how Steve Coogan overcame Alan Partridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Miles Cameron has been very hit or miss for me, no inbetween

hit: the red knight & artifact space
miss: masters & mages, age of bronze

i liked masters & mages, also the chivalry series of historical fiction. Tom Swan lands in the miss category, along with age of bronze.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

FPyat posted:

I'm digging into The History of Science Fiction by Adam Roberts, which sits at a nice thorough 500 pages. Chapter 1 has to deal with the thorny question of defining just what science fiction is, so instead of fiction the writers in discussion are Feyerabend, Heidegger, and Harraway. The book will proceed to spend a juicy 200 pages on the history of SF before 1900.

If you want a more personal, essay style history of Sci Fi after this, try 'the dreams our stuff is made of' by thomas m disch - it's filtered through his lens, a gay progressive writer and editor of novels and poetry. Won a hugo.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

I didn't realize there was one! I enjoyed but didn't totally love DODO 1, any reviews on 2? 1 had some neat ideas but kinda meandered then ended badly, so I'm not opposed to a continuation but how is it?

i didn't know it existed either but it seems to be a solo effort from NS' writing partner Nicole Galland. Given how little i've enjoyed his later work that might be a plus tbh.