Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Any decent fantasy series in the vein of the Legends of Ethshar books? Looking for something fun to relax and read that isn't a tangled mess of storytelling (IE: not Malazan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MockingQuantum posted:

For Evil Fluffy, though: if you haven't read them already, the Chronicles of Prydain are excellent, though they do get dark at times. But they're cozy and satisfying in a similar way to Misenchanted Sword. They probably get marketed as YA these days but don't let that put you off if you're not someone who usually dips into YA fantasy.

I'll check that out. Stuff like Misenchanted Sword and Unwilling Warlord are the equivalent of comfort food for reading which is a nice break at times.

Might check out Nero Wolfe as well, hadn't heard of those PI books until now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Read through Children of time after seeing it mentioned here. A+ would recommend to others.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

The second series in the setting starting with Prince of Fools is more enjoyable imo.

Edit: Saw that mentioned already, so backing it.

I don't think Mark Lawrence is my favorite author, but is decent and cranks out work I think he has finished 4 trilogies since 2012.

What's the timeline of that series in conjunction with the first? Runs mostly parallel?

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You ever read any Janny Wurts? I keep telling myself I'll start her giant epic fantasy series one day.

instead I just read whatever random suggestion here's caught my attention in between stuffing my eyes with web serials and fanfic.

Read the Empire trilogy, unless you can't stand the Riftwar setting at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

How is the sequel? I’ve seen mixed reviews.

I’m curious about this as well. The first book ending was not what I expected but it was interesting. I think the reason for the collapse early in the book was bullshit though.

youre telling me a super advanced intergalactic human empire was also too stupid to have its life support systems isolated? Even modern governments have critical systems that are closed and wouldn’t be able to receive a doomsday computer virus, allowing them to keep on running properly while everything connected to the space internet went to hell.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 29, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Xenix posted:

They were what came after said empire collapsed. Their technology was based on what they could scavenge from the ruins of that civilization an untold number of millennia later once the planet was more livable again. I got the impression they scavenged enough to make their ark ships and shoot them into space as quickly as possible to find a viable place for humanity to live for the long term.

I know, but the reason for the collapse being so total is because of the thing I said. A thing that wouldn’t have happened in a super science civilization because hardened, remote setups for critical systems is not some unrealistic thing and that they just didn’t exist in the empire is nonsense. Especially since even the arkship techs knew how to do it and why.

It’s just a point that came across as nonsense and a desperate attempt to explain wipe no the slate clean, more or less.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PST posted:

Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon/Steel Remains et al) is a massive loving terf

https://twitter.com/quellist1/status/1207744446340747273

This seems like brainworms given his breakout series essentially said that flesh was mutable and you could switch bodies, and his fantasy series had a hella gay protagonist, but...yeah, apparently the signs have been there for a while, he's just now come out with it to defend jk rowling of all people (whose post basically ignored all of the actual legal reasons why the employee was fired, the court supported that firing, and then the appeal court supported it, all because they were a massive bigot as well).

"I'm a feminist, equality for women!"
*sees a trans person*
"No not that one."

Rowling continuing to out herself as a huge pile of poo poo isn't anything new, sadly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

To get on my soapbox for a mo - once I started looking there is so much good genre fiction written by women, and when I look in reclists on reddit or elsewhere they almost never come up, nevermind that they've been around for the same amount of time and are as good as the dude-written stuff or better. And that ticks me off!

Okay thank you, I needed to get that off my chest.

Found the problem.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Missing a ‘Used government assistance, now wants to gently caress over poor people’ for Rowling.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For just one example, we know that the Georgia election was very likely hacked, because the whole election routed through one server and there's a federal lawsuit over the server records being hacked.

Give credit where it's due. Kemp is an exceptionally corrupt motherfucker and pushing for paperless voting systems that can be wiped and made impossible to properly audit was not a coincidence.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

pradmer posted:

Daughter of the Empire by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/
Oft recommended as the best Riftwar trilogy.

It is. The handful of times Pug shows up is ok because you get to see Pug passing judgement on the Empire's cruelty at the Warlord's Games from the other side and a better feel for the impact of that event.

e: I think that event is in the 2nd book though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DreamingofRoses posted:

Maybe don’t encourage people doing the equivalent of: “Well, if MLK were alive he’d...”

Edit: Shameless page snipe. I’m working on Daughter of the Empire right now and I’m enjoying it. How’s the rest of the series?

ToxicFrog posted:

The thing I liked about the first book was the focus on underdog Mara and her cunning plans, and book 2 delivers more of that; it actually felt like book 2 had two major story arcs back-to-back and would have done ok split into books 2 and 3 of the trilogy, and it concludes the main arc begun in book 1 quite nicely.

Book 3 picks up a few years later and has a rather different focus; I found it started out weak and while it did improve over the course of the book and ended strong, I never liked it as much as I did the first two. It feels like the first two books are "the trilogy" and book 3 is more of a coda.

This about sums it up. The ending of book 3 is really drat obvious too and kinda cheesy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, and I honestly liked it more than any of the ones written by Feist alone, although it's been a while since I read them.

IIRC (but my recollection may be faulty) the original four books avoid this problem by not really having any female characters at all. I believe this was also pretty much the case in the Serpentwar books (but it's been even longer since I read those).

Serpentwar had at least one potentially interesting woman (the woman from the Mockers who Erik marries in secret) but the are completely written out in a later book, though probably because Feist forgot they exist, because he did it with another character's sister who's mentioned in 1-2 lines in one book and then the character's an only child in a later one. The first Serpentwar book is good, though it's also a pretty shameless rip-off of The Dirty Dozen which is probably why I liked it. The second one is whatever, the end of the last one screams "I'm out of time and ideas."

The first Empire book is the weakest for sure but the 2nd and 3rd get better. The books were also written decades ago so yes there is some outdated stuff in there that you can't really avoid.

The real crime of the Riftwar books is that there weren't more Betrayal at Krondor-quality games made out of the series.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 9, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

tildes posted:

I think I'm getting a bit lost w/ these series. If I haven't read anything by Raymond Feist, what is the first series I should read?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Riftwar_Cycle

Riftwar saga, Empire trilogy, maybe some of the Riftwar legacy/legends stuff. Krondor: the Betrayal is based on Betrayal at Krondor (which is a good game). The two Krondor's Sons books aren't bad and give a little background for the Serpentwar books (and a few callbacks in later books). The Darkwar books are alright, Demonwar gets kinda dumb and Chaoswar shows clear signs that Feist really wants to be done with the Riftwar stuff forever.

e: Imo, the deeper Feist gets in to the cosmos the worse he gets as a writer while if he keeps closers to 'worldly' magic stuff he's fine. Usually.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 9, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

freebooter posted:

I cannot easily recall any major character in Game of Thrones who is outright stupid. Cruel, vain, reckless, short-sighted, sure - but nobody who is so arrogant and pompous as to be actually dumb, because that's just not an interesting character trait and it doesn't lead to interesting stories.

Catelyn Stark. Her arrogance and stupidity directly lead to the Red Wedding because she thought some guest rules were an unbreakable shield against retribution.

Her chapters had multiple moments of "what the hell how is Catelyn this loving dumb" for me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

freebooter posted:

If I said to you I'd just read a book involving:

- a post-apocalyptic world which centuries later has developed into a new generic-fantasy-level-of-tech society
- A centuries-old cybernetic super-soldier from the past era
- Ancient orbital weapons being reawakened

What would you think it's ripping off? I just read a fairly obscure book which strongly reminded me of something else, but maybe these are fairly common tropes?

Dragonriders of Pern? Though I guess that might not cover #3.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh! I have never seen that movie, didn't know what you were doing.

:stare:
You should fix that, Blazing Saddles is great.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Somebody from this thread asked him to do a piece on me, iirc, so he did. I don't remember much, it was five years ago and never really led to anything more. Have you really arrived until Vox Day has done a hit piece on you?

I have never received a royalty statement and genuinely have no idea how many books I've sold.

Being told how many books you've sold is the kind of information that I'd assume a publish has to provide you even if you haven't hit a point to receive royalties (which is hard to know if you aren't told how many copies you've sold).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Anything that was made into a Tom Cruise movie is automatically forbidden in my reading recommendations.

That movie is a high budget XCOM Let's Play where someone beats it via savescumming and then ends the LP as they start New Game+ and it's fun to watch despite Tom Cruise being an insane cultist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Yeah, it’s a shame how political and preachy the new Star Trek shows have been, compared to the early stuff like TNG and DS9.

:wtc:

I'm not sure you ever actually watched DS9.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Read through Children of Ruin and while the ending was what I expected (and then some) shortly after starting the book, it was good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PawParole posted:

Anyone know of a story where humans are conquered by aliens and it’s set in the aftermath? ( no ai, vampires or weird poo poo).

I just want to read about humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that

Here you go:
https://lparchive.org/XCOM-2/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

My brother's birthday is upcoming and while I have some gifts lined up for him, it never hurts to check: are there any cool books about dragons? And I mean: dragons as main characters, dragons as badasses, dragons as a central focus. He doesn't mind if they're evil, but he wants them to be cool alien-esque scaly winged badasses who influence the plot. One of his favorites is Deathwing from the warcraft universe, for an example.

General background: he doesn't read much but he has read both This Alien Shore by CS Friedman and Hyperion and he loved them both.

If they like dragons with lots of power, use people like pawns, and have a ton of influence, maybe some Shadowrun novels?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

T-man posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Sounds like he never got that spine because only a coward would abuse their partner.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

tbf I had the same response from a few people when I asked about Assassin's Apprentice, I feel like half said "it starts slow but stick with it" and half said "it starts great but is pretty slow halfway through."

Though with the third book in that trilogy, I feel like both are true, somehow?

The start of Assassin's Apprentice was positively lightning fast compared to the start of Liveship Traders, which was both slow and seemed to be a competition among the characters to determine who could be the biggest piece of poo poo. Kyle was the clear winner early on but everyone else was just awful until like... certain groups encountered each other and then it got better. Well, until you find out the backstory of the liveships which is pretty :stonk:

Especially Paragon. I'm glad the final series nicely ties up that loose end (though it still has its tragedies).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

John Lee posted:

Liveship Traders is real slow to start, but halfway or two-thirds through the first book, it really picks up the pace and stays there. I like it a lot!

Pretty much. I think I posted in this thread (or some other thread) back when I started reading it and mentioned something to the effect of the first... 100-150 pages being a slog then it was good after that. Still, having that long to get going is asking a lot of readers no matter what the series is.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Gimme police in a city with orcs and elves and dwarves, cops in a city with super heroes, a shipping company that delivers magic poo poo, hell I just finished reading a book about an insurance investigator that works with demons and werewolves and vampires.

The Valkyrie Collections books?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ed balls balls man posted:

This series is great.

How's it compare to the Traitor Son series?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I don't think I could read a fraction of what I've read on kindle on a tablet or smartphone. It works for some people, I know, but I'm extremely not one of them.

A phone, sure, but tablets are better than kindles. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

Screen too shiny, light too bright, distractions too many, battery life too poor!

Also someone find that Mr. Adam story please.

Dim the screen? Unless you're reading for like 40+ hours straight I don't see the battery being an issue either.

StrixNebulosa posted:

If we're going by wordcount, Malazan and Discworld remain the kings of "too many words":

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/8u2xj9/longest_fantasy_book_series/

I always forget just how goddamn many words in total all the Riftwar books are. Hopefully his Firemane books don't try to get cosmic because while the Riftwar books have their ups and downs, the more cosmic and deeper in to the mysteries of reality he tried to go, the worse it got.

freebooter posted:

The 2000s was probably the roughest of the last half-century, though

I'd take a repeat of the 00s over the last 4-5 years in a loving heartbeat, to say nothing of the next 4-5 if Trump gets a second term.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

soo, is it good enough to ignore Liu's horrible politics?

No.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

Anne McCaffrey is a moron about sexual orientation. This is her answering questions in 98:

You can read the whole thing and the context here: https://fanlore.org/wiki/The_Tent_Peg_Statement#The_Quote

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

loving nimbys ruining fun yet again

"It'd spoil the view" is such a hilarious argument. Like unless his house is in an area with sweeping vistas and not just generic upper class suburbia the only view is the tops of other houses through whatever fences these people have up on their properties.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mewse posted:

Yeah that's what struck me about it. The bubblegum line from They Live is not gallows humour, even if it's in Chinese and before a major battle.

He comes back to the gallows humour thing twice including this gem, when the main char is on hold with the most famous scientists in the world:

That's not gallows humour either, Ernest Cline you loving idiot

:psypop:

I don't think I've ever read any of their books and I suspect that's going to continue.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Man, I dropped the first Malazan book part-way in to the free samepl because it seemed like such a mess and these posts are making clear that that didn't even scratch the surface of this GURPS-campaign-turned-book-series clusterfuck and the bad content within.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

I never read his books but I watched the series on Netflix and when this scene happened I just thought "yeah ok why not, this show's all in on the Hercules and Xena campy-as-gently caress train" and didn't find out until later that it was actually a scene from the books. Or that the books themselves weren't also meant to be over the top absurdity in a fantasy setting. There's just no way to watch that show, see the goddamn BDSM witch cult (among other things), and take it seriously.

Really dodged a bullet by not reading those books as a kid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Yep. Which makes it ironic that the inspiration for A Wizard of Earthsea was LeGuin wondering how Gandalf learned his magic.

Although I suspect Gandalf's fireworks craftsmanship is learned rather than innate. Middle-Earth has a lot of unknown areas beyond the edges of the map; perhaps one of them is a China equivalent...

IIRC, Gandalf never went east to Rhun or the lands beyond (I don't think Radagast or Saurman did either). The two Blue Wizards did but we never got any stories about them beyond a mention somewhere that they acted during the war of the ring to thwart Sauron's activity out there as well. Presumably contributing to the success of destroying the ring by thwarting forces from fully mustering there much like how Thorin's return to Erebor meant there was no Smaug and the northern force of orcs and men were stuck fighting at Erebor instead of helping wipe out Gondor and Rohan.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 22, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1316717703139385348

Saw this floating around today, usually these lists don't get a reaction from me but uhh this one did.

Honestly surprised they only listed Name of the Wind. Was expecting all of the Kingkiller garbage to be listed there.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

Just started Rage of Dragons because it's been on my Kindle recommendation list for ages so thought I'd test how good Amazon's algorithms are.

I'm about 20% in and wondering if anyone confirm, does it at any point take a look and say "Hey, maybe us invading this country and trying to kill all the natives and steal their land is bad????"

I have this in my backlog and haven't started it yet so I'll be interested to hear how good/bad it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

As much as I enjoy the book, the ending really annoys me, to the point I just skip it.

I don't mean the dinos escaping, I mean hunting down the raptor nests. The highest suspension levels in the novel is when the raptors attack the main compound and most of our heroes are trapped in one of the lodges and the kids are in the computer room. Once power is restored and the raptors are dealt with, it's a great moment of triumph.

And then the novel just keeps going and going and going. We've reached the peak and now we just trudge along. I really do like how much more detail the dinosaurs breeding is given because the movie just has one scene that comes and goes and adds nothing. But there had to have been another way to write about killing all the raptors without also dragging the story out so much.

As for dialogue, no arguments there. Crichton did so love his big speeches and using his characters to espouse his views. But I've always loved this one:

“You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity. Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There's been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away — all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time. It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in Arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. It might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears the earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It's powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. Do you think this is the first time that's happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive gas, like fluorine. When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. A hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can't imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven't got the humility to try. We've been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we're gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us.

Out of curiosity, did you read/like Sphere? I did a binge of Crichton years ago and Sphere was my favorite book by him for a lot of reasons.

Hollywood: Hmm that's a lot of words how about if he just says "life finds a way" and we leave it at that?