Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

pradmer posted:

Two kindle sales on amazon today that I've seen mentioned a bunch here in the past.

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN8BQMD/

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QX07EG/

rook's decent, children of time is EXCELLENT especially if you're into alien psychologies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I know I haven't been around as much lately -- I've gone from working about 35 hours a week to working about 90 -- but please do not lock threads, it'll create a giant headache when everyone freaks out. Just use the report button.

Also, this should not need repeating, but to everyone in this thread and every other thread in this subforum: before each post, please consider: "is this post about a book, or about something that is not a book, such as another poster on the forum?" Only one of those categories is on topic!

what if it is about the posting of General Battuta, world-renowned leading author of accountancy fiction

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

All the barely consensual sex and child abuse in the first Broken Earth book made it pretty hard for me to get through, to be honest. But I'm glad I stuck with the series, it was a fantastic read overall. Does make it a little difficult to recommend, sometimes! Spoilers for the series: I called the three main characters all being the same person pretty early, that made me feel smart. Or smug, anyway! A satisfying feeling.

If you're looking for something fresh, Ann Leckie's new book "The Raven Tower" is an absolute joy to read. What a cool story, told in a cool way. A very interesting "magic" system, the nature of Godhood, self-identity... great stuff!

The poster who posted this

is banned.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

To completely derail things - I brought this up in the UF thread but I think you guys would have something to say here too - I'm reading Anne Bishop's Others series and Black Jewels trilogy.

Two uh... interesting things about both series:

The Black Jewels features magic golden cockrings of obedience on at least two main characters so far, and they're brought up pretty often.

The Others opens with a prologue note explaining that in this version of Earth, there are no native peoples anywhere but in Europe, and instead there are were-critters and vampires and elementals who regularly eat humans, to the point that settling America featured a lot of Europeans getting eaten. Of course, this is a super light and fluffy universe compared to how it actually went down...and I'm still super confused at how a book that got published in the 2010s could get away with just wholesale erasing all native americans like it's no biggie.

e: And oh don't worry, none of the werewolves are native americans, our hot sexy werewolf lead is named Simon

Oh man I completely forgot the Black Jewels series existed and I read it

... ...thanks?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're welcome, I guess. How was it?

I liked it fine at the time - certainly enough to finish without hatereading - but it is very definitely a Problematic Romance-Adjacent Series. I don't remember enough details to offer a more precise critique, which may be for the best.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

genericnick posted:

Finished a reread of Echnopraxia. It...really didn't hold up. I think it took something like 150 pages until I got sucked back into the story and Bruk's fedora atheism made the nerd discussions a bit more tedious than in Blindsight. Or maybe they just felt more tacked on? Still a lot of neat ideas though. And I couldn't help but read the last couple dialogues in the voice of ANCIENT REPTILIAN BRAIN so all is forgiven.

last bit: lol

But yeah, it's not quite as fantastic as Blindsight. Still great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

tildes posted:

I didn’t think it was bad at all, but yeah definitely not up to the standard set by the ancillary books imo. I did think The Raven Tower was better than Provenance if you want to try another Anne Leckie book, though it’s quite different both in setting and the POV of the characters.

anne leckie should just write nothing except raven tower verse books

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

i mean, 'inferior to blindsight' isn't saying much

i'm a big fan of both and excited about book three whenever it comes out

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

PawParole posted:

Just give me a first contact a theology and I’ll shut my dumb face

first contact and theology, you say? eifelheim

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

May I interrupt? I'm literally sitting here minutes from bed scrolling through books in my kindle wanting some kind of comfort sci-fi. Not fantasy, but sci-fi. There's the thread favorite Murderbot, and Long Way to Angry Planet, but...what else? Bujold kind of fits, kind of doesn't, Cherryh's Foreigner's later books are definitely cozy, and I think it might be time to read more of James White's space hospital series, but it's never a bad time to ask:

Are there good cozy sci-fi novels? Ones with really optimistic themes and good characters doing good things?

Memory Called Empire and Desolation Called Peace are Cherryh-adjacent and ultimately optimistic

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

The Gone World is very much airport Dad fiction, I don't recommend it.

The Gone Away World by Nick Harkaway is very good, though.

while you're wrong about the first one, gone away world is also my least favorite Nick Harkaway book I've read

fake edit: actually it turns out i misremembered what else he wrote, but the statement is still accurate because Gone Away World is merely goodish while Gnomon is Legit Literature

I incorrectly thought he'd written The Half Made World, which is a truly amazing weird western, and The Rise Of Ransom City, which is merely excellent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I loved the Tines in Fire but did not really enjoy spending so much more time with them. At the time I gave it a pass cause I figured it was just setup for a :krad: finale but at this point who knows if that's gonna happen.

hot take: tyrathect in fire is transgender-analogous

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Jolier Veppers is the role he was born to play

you know, I'd watch that

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Jeep posted:

reading that creep felt like having ants crawling over me, genuinely disturbing character with an alien mindset

If that's a feeling you want to replicate but with a nicer pov character, The Pattern Scars by Caitlin Sweet does a great job. It feels like a nightmare you can't wake up from. I love it but i can only read it twice a decade or so lol.

apparently there are two books by Caitlin Sweet i haven't read yet, I should do that

she is also married to Peter Watts, which is in hindsight the perfect match

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Felix Castor full series spoilers: in a way I actually rather like that the Big Questions were never really answered, because the series wasn't about that. It was about Castor, Ravi, and about Asmodeus' personal scheme to unbotch the botched summoning and properly unleash himself on the world.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The best rationalist-adjacent story I've read is probably Unsong. It has some odd choices but the only ones that bugged me were something of an excess focus on Great Men (well, one specifically) and the author apparently being unaware that it's impossible to have a new theological idea. :v: Don't get me wrong, I rather like the two big ones he repackages, but a bunch of bearded theology nerds devised them both many centuries ago.

e: also the amerocentrism I guess

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pradmer posted:

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECE9OD4/

can fourth this one, it's excellent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gato The Elder posted:

More Nona thoughts
Also Nona is an aspect of God (Earth/Alecto) who takes a human body and dies for our sins / to mend the rift between god and Man (make Alecto less insane). But also Alecto is a resurrection beast which means that John is too, in a way. But also also Alecto/Earth/God gives her services to Harrow in the same way she gave them to Anastasia which is not in keeping with what we've heard from John, I think?

starting to feel like this John guy might be a great big liar, if perhaps also to himseld

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Something Else: yeah it doesn't seem like an insurmountable problem to try and sort out an approximation of artist credit, even for the prompts that aren't "in the style of very specific artist". In practice it's probably going to take government legislation though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Lord Bob posted:

AI art would be super cool to explore if we were in the fully gay space communism timeline, but we're in the capitalist hellworld timeline so we just get the techbro wealth extraction version instead and it's going to try and leave the human beings it relied on to create their model to starve. Give everyone UBI then we can train ai models on whatever art you can find with no morally questionable copyright "but it's not illegal" poo poo.

Anyway, I'm 3 chapters into The Half-Built Garden and it's only just tickled at the edges of the worldbuilding, but it seems like they're running a full anarchism society driven by overlapping networks and AI algorithms and I hope it all works out for them and I'm jealous, even if chapter 1 had a first contact spaceship arrive and immediately poop in the river it landed next to.

half built garden is great, ruthanna emrys is great, everyone should read everything she has written

bonus, AFAIK Litany of Earth is still free, and a perfect introduction to her Lovecraft fanfic homage series

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Everyone posted:

I hope the conclusion is I'm "Not Dead"

hi, I'm not dead,

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I seen to recall there being a high priestess of a fertility goddess who is both formidable and spooky, but A) iirc when she needs some actual poo poo done she uses a dude and B) even if my recollections are correct, then congratulations Bakker had one (1) non-victim woman in the entire series, good job, gold star

E: isn't one of Kellhus' daughters a sorceress? then maybe two

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

continue reading Becky Chambers imo, at least two of the others are significantly better than the already good Long Way

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, something along these lines, but much longer and more specific. It made me sad but I think it was supposed to be a joke(?).

he has two kids he loves so

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kestral posted:

Steel Frame is, as far as I know, the only answer for “giant robot fiction that is Actually Good.”

sleeping giants

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

This seems like an excellent time to recommend The Night-Bird's Feather, by Jenna Moran.

I'm not entirely sure why Russian flavored modern fairy tales have become a thing lately, but I loved this and also Naomi Novik's forays

E: spinning silver in particular is just a glorious trainwreck of like six initially seemingly largely unrelated fairytales that slam into each other at speed

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

rmdx posted:

This what we all been waiting for?

https://www.tor.com/2023/02/06/cover-reveal-seth-dickinson-exordia/

Nice to see the General getting acknowledged for Destiny lore too, btw.

Oh I loved the short story

Also closed and common orbit is worth a swing even for people who didn't quite love long way to small angry planet, it's a pretty different read despite ultimately still being cozy

personally it's my least favorite wayfarers (so still v good) but for reasons that might make it some people's favorite

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

rip

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ccs posted:

Yeah, thats another thing about Parker. The books have gotten more concise since his early work but the characters have gotten smugger.

also trying to construct a timeline will melt your brain even though I'm convinced they all take place in the same world

yes, this means there are no poo poo actual demons durdling around in the background of Savages

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

like, in prospers demon (supported by inside man), the lady demon lays it out plainly and explicitly: the demon plan is somewhere between oodles of millennia long and forever long, there's plenty of room for civilizations to rise, fall, and be forgotten

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I don't like everywhere she takes it but Ada Palmer is a very dense and clever writer in TOO LIKE THE LIGHTNING + sequels. And consciously Wolfe inspired.

also a generally really cool woman

she has terminal Renaissance history brain, what with being a respected professor about it at the university of chicago

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

in fairness, the OG Ramayana is not exactly as deep as one would hope :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

RDM posted:

naomi_novik_review_*.txt

What a neat idea for a setting/theme [...] this book isn't well paced, there's a lot of gaps between parts that move the plot [...] a lot of things in universe aren't well thought out and don't make sense now that I think about it.

I will go to the mattresses for Uprooted, Spinning Silver, and probably Scholomance

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

For cherryh, The pride of chanur is a good entry, she's peerless at tense politics, fairly hard sci Fi and interesting aliens.

Gideon is Gideon the ninth, which is basically indescribable in a way that won't make it sound awful but is actually phenomenally good. Three books written, fourth and last coming next year probably.

escape room mystery about lesbian space necromancers

I don't see the problem

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Since Banks died I don’t know what to read anymore. Why won’t people spend more time writing books instead of shooting TikTok videos

ngl I'd watch an Iain banks or cj cherryh tiktok

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I'd put it as worse than Cryptonomicon but that's because I think cn is much better than okay (even accounting for parts aging poorly). Still, a fun enough read and very far ahead of Stephenson's worse books.

I think I agree that Anathem is his best and arguably is Literature.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

Behold the deep science fiction lore of the Cassava tuber, which has to be soaked in water for 24+ hours.

that's mostly low-quality cassava although the stuff sold in America is generally soaked Enough

high quality cassava isn't dangerous generally, it's the poor people eating the harvest leavings that routinely die of cyanide poisoning along with their entire family

I'm a fan of it even though peeling it is loving annoying, it has the taste and texture of a thoroughly buttered potato while not being full of butter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

it's also called yuca root, Cuban food uses it all the drat time because it's cheap, tasty, and potato-tier calorie dense

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sebmojo posted:

This is an ideal entree into Abercrombie, just a good story told well.

very military though

don't get me wrong, it's great military very low fantasy

my personal favorite intro to Abercrombie is Best Served Cold, aka Definitely Not Count Of Monte Cristo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ccs posted:

I also recommend buying the Baru Cormorant books. As well as Christopher Buehlman's books like The Blacktongue Thief, Between Two Fires, and The Necromancers House (his other books are good too but more horror than fantasy.) And if you like Joe Abercombie you might also enjoy KJ Parker, especially The Engineer trilogy and The Folding Knife.

folding knife is probably my favorite kj Parker, but the punchline to Prosper's Demon is easily the funniest thing he's ever written