Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think Glen Cook wrote a fantasy detective series as well, can't recall it offhand, had metal in the names of the book like cold copper tears or something like that.

He did. The first 4-5 are pretty good, especially if you enjoyed Hammett/Chandler and of course Stout. After that...it’s like Dune: stop when you want, it really won’t get better (n.b: I have read them all).

Sweet Silver Blues (1987)
Bitter Gold Hearts (1988)
Cold Copper Tears (1988)
Old Tin Sorrows (1989)
Dread Brass Shadows (1990)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Orv posted:

I like Garrett a lot but the books are aggressively formulaic

In a couple of the early books you can actually pinpoint the specific classic detective novel Cook filed the serial numbers off of. There is a lot more variation in the first few (Sweet Silver Blues is the only one where Garrett leaves TunFaire, in Old Tin Sorrows Garrett spends almost all his time in a mansion owned by a crazy general, etc.). In general you're absolutely right though.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You're all describing Garrett PI and making me hungry for Nero Wolfe so thanks!

I found Garrett before Wolfe and it was very surreal when I eventually started reading Wolfe.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeesh, I gotta read this book now.

I had already gone looking for it and realized I bought it back in July and it's just stuck in my backlog.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

So, disappointing but still basically enjoyable. That fits the other Modesitt book I've read, a sci-fi book called The Eternity Artifact, and I'm not sure if I want to read more Recluce stuff after this. Anyone familiar with the series who can tell me whether this book was representative of the series?

Not just representative of the series but most of Modesitt. A typical Modesitt plot involves a man/boy working at some sort of craft while being reluctantly forced into making the hard choices no one else will to do the hard deeds no one else will and avoid greater disaster. The Recluce books all use the same type of magic with the same tech level, more or less, which is about all that separates them from his other fantasy and his science fiction.

Cythereal posted:

The big divide seems to be between order and chaos. Fair enough.

Chaos magic can throw fireballs, cause volcanic eruptions, scry on distant events, and create illusions.

Order magic can heal injuries and sickness, manipulate the weather, enchant objects (especially iron), mind control people, turn you invisible, help grow plants, and defeat Chaos magic.

Erm, what? The ruminations on the mechanics of the magic were interesting, but both forms of magic seem to be rather odd grab bags of various stuff that didn't seem at all connected by ideas of order or chaos.

Many things can be done with either order or chaos (and most wizards can manipulate both, whether they realize it or not).

But to go through your list:

Chaos: throw fireballs (conjure chaos in fireball form), cause volcanic eruptions (tap into chaos below the surface of the earth and bring it to the surface), scry on distant events (frankly I can't remember how or if this one is justified as chaos only, but that seems more plot required), and create illusions (inverse of scrying, which is bringing images to you).

Order: healing injuries and sickness (strengthening the natural order in the human body to allow it to return to baseline normal, as well as canceling out chaos from infections or similar. Note that you will also see some forms of chaos healing where wizards are destroying infections or the like), manipulate the weather (manipulating the patterns of order which are the butterflies of the weather), enchant objects (this isn't enchantment, this is just imbuement with order, which typically strengthens the objects; a wizard could also imbue objects with chaos but this would be a really bad idea), mind control people (I think you see chaos wizards doing this too, but I don't think the details are explained; I assume pattern control again), help you grow plants (imbuing order again), and defeating chaos magic (pitting order against chaos is more or less a test of will and strength against each other; a powerful chaos magician can overpower a weaker order magician).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mewse posted:

The weird thing about Jorg is the author goes hard on the antihero thing in the first book and then can’t really sustain it and Jorg ends up as sort of a generic tortured protagonist.

The other two books are worth reading tho, I enjoyed them. The Jorg plotting stuff generally pays off

Generic tortured protagonist was a significant improvement over book one grimdark antihero, though, so I enjoyed the other two books more than the first (and the following Red Queen's War series, first book Prince of Fools, with a different protagonist even more than those).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The_White_Crane posted:

I think there's a difference between "military capabilities" and "children can accidentally level a city if they lose their temper" which undermines the metaphor.

Let me turn that around; do you think you'd feel comfortable living in a world where random people -- who you can't necessarily spot by eye -- could explode like nuclear bombs if you cut them up in traffic?

People with those powers are an existential threat to the state and the state would have to either (a) co-opt them, (b) kill or otherwise neutralize them, or (c) accept they aren't the state anymore.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Knocked out another Modesitt book from the library, Timediver's Dawn. In which a succession of events happen to a young man of no discernable personality or motivation who is possessed of unique superpowers for no particular reason or explanation and ends up saving the day from a variety of villains possessed of no discernable motive for their actions and the story loudly talks at length about how important strong-willed, independent, capable women are while presenting no female character who fits that description as a figure in the story.

I warned you, right?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

You did, but I thought The Magic Engineer was a brisk, decently entertaining read as long as I didn't think about it too much. Timediver's Dawn is part of a duology in one volume I got from the library, and I think it showed - I don't know whether this or the second, The Timegod, came first, but Timediver's Dawn smacked of a prequel no one asked for.

Yeah - the Timegod stuff is some of Modesitt's earliest books and I think he at least got better about writing with practice if not coming up with interesting new stuff to write about.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

anne leckie should just write nothing except raven tower verse books

This, but in first person or possibly third.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Is the Alchemy Wars series worth picking up?

I immensely enjoyed the Milkweed trilogy but the Alchemy Wars bored me to the point where I tapped out early in book 2 and never finished the series.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Prose is average, first book is basically black company analogue.
Second and third is Harry Potter meets Minecraft in the most boring way.
Oh, and Saunders is self published.

Agreed with all of this other than the "most boring way" part.

quote:

The March North is set in a world where the written word has been around for perhaps a hundred thousand years, or perhaps even longer. Where magic has incessantly shaped and reshaped the environment (geological and biological). Where you cannot understand this world without knowing of magic and its history; it would be like trying to make sense of our world while ignoring the existence of grasses.

For the various intelligent species (both evolved and created), this is a world where outbreaks of dark and malevolent magical overlords are as common as century droughts.

But not in the Commonweal, an enclave of thinking beings, many of whom (but not all) are human (or mostly so). The Commonweal has worked out a way for the little folk and the great masters of magic to coexist, without requiring the little folk to become the slaves or worse of the mages, or for the mages to be overthrown and brutally killed as often as it took to actually kill them [2]. The Commonweal’s way makes great demands on its citizens, but what its people get in return is an existence that isn’t an endless parade of chaos, brutal exploitation, and violent collapse.

The Commonweal is an island of not-suckery in a vast sea of violent chaos. Much of its energies are devoted to deterring incursions from ambitious or desperate neighbors. Due to the …. limited might be being too generous… political skills of the Commonweal’s neighboring communities, the Commonweal doesn’t need to worry about foreign subversion, but it does have to keep an eye out for invasions. Which brings us to the plot of this novel.
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-world-of-ancient-magics

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Black Company's a pretty great trilogy about weird fantasy poker, although later trilogies may be hit-or-miss depending on what you liked about the first one.

Tonk is very real. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonk_(card_game)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jedit posted:

Turtledove wrote a seven book series that was basically "what if both World Wars, but we're the Nazis and we're exterminating blacks?" He doesn't do nuance.

Turtledove's entire shtick his entire career has been to take history as it actually happened, change one or two things, and publish it as alt history.

American Civil War done as fantasy? Check.
Fantasy about Britain dealing with the disappearance of the Romans? Check.
Basil of Byzantium with the serial numbers filed off? Check.
Alt-history where the Confederates stalemated the US? Check.

...that last series is the one that leads into a trilogy about WW1 followed by a trilogy about WW2, but it's just WW1/WW2 stories with the names changed.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Prosper's Demon by KJ Parker arrived in the mail! It's a slim little volume, one of the smallest novellas I've picked up yet - starts on page 11, ends on 101.

Yeah, for all the hate Murderbot gets around here for being short, Murderbot (All Systems Red) is 50% longer than Prosper's Demon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Having a bit of trouble imagining a not hilariously insane sci-fi explanation for vampires that isn't either MGS-style nanomachines or "exotic alien virus/parasite/symbiotic lifeform".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdCvGDpM9k

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Groke posted:

Below average depressing, I'd say.

Yeah for Parker it practically has a happy ending.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Not unless you're a massive fan. The first two books are basically just parodies of fantasy conventions and other books; most of the jokes are dated and unlike his later books the stories don't really stand on their own.

I loved them, but I also read them immediately after Pyramids and Mort...and as a 15-ish year old boy in the early 90s. YMMV is what I'm trying to say here.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

freebooter posted:

I actually ordered The Stand just the other day because of all this plus I haven't read it in fifteen years. I remember the first third of it (all the stuff actually relating to the pandemic) being really, really great.

Depends on if you ordered the original published version or the unabridged version. The unabridged version is...not so tight, even in that first third, and has always been my goto for "THIS IS WHY YOU loving NEED AN EDITOR!"

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

freebooter posted:

That's weird! Because I think the unabridged version was what I started reading as, like, a 12-year-old or something, and was full of all the parts I found totally fascinating. Then I think I read the whole book in full in the original version a few years later and thought it was missing some stuff, especially with the CO of the military base the virus escapes from.

The original version opens with a car running off the road and slamming into a gas station because the driver is sick with Captain Trips. Things spiral downhill from there.

The unabridged version opens with yet another day at the office and takes, IIRC (and it has been quite some time) like 5 chapters of boring minutia to get to the same car crash.

...I mean, if you enjoy that bit, have fun, but I would certainly not describe it as "tight."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

And this is the part people like about the stand.

Dying in church for maximum irony.

All after the car crash, I think.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Asher's latest The Human is out.
It is (sofar) exactly what you would expect.

...please specify which country, as I immediately rushed to Amazon to find it not yet available in the glorious USA :911:

...and while I took a virtual trip over the pond for several Asher books (mostly not available here, IIRC), I seem to have bought the other two in that trilogy legit so I guess I should keep it up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Safety Biscuits posted:

Yes, Gunn was published earlier, but Bova's had a more recent publication (a novel in 2019), so I'm awarding him the arbitrary wreath for now. Congrats Jedit.

Do we get to count posthumous publications? Because Heinlein (only counting novels) was first published 1947 (Rocket Ship Gaileo) and had a novel come out last month (The Pursuit of the Pankera, an alternate version of The Number of The Beast).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

You can also just buy ARCs if you really want to. It's not a whole lot better than piracy as neither the author nor the publisher see anything from such sales

Unless you buy from Baen, which has an impressive markup on electronic ARCs.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

Glen Cook: is he still writing? From my googling it looks like his Instrumentalities series was left permanently unfinished(?) due to low sales.

Instrumentalities got an :effort: ending that could have been picked up later if interested had ever piqued.

Then Cook wrote an interquel (in between books 1 and 2) to the Black Company that was at best ok and at worst gross.

Cook's about to turn 76 so I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything new.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Drone Jett posted:

I associate it as female leaning because of the desire to just sit around and watch soap operas all day.

Anime is not soap operas and is a genre as often consumed by males as females and furthermore :goonsay:

Fake edit: I associate Murderbot as male because I’m male.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Sadly, I found this to just be schlocky and bland scifi action. I'd only recommend it if you wanna dig into the origins of CP2020 and CP2077's setting.

No way. Hardwired is great.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

Simon R. Greene's Deathstalker books are alot like the naval mil-scifi Lost Fleet series in that they repeat the same plot beats over and over and over, etc.
If you're read one Deathstalker/Lost Fleet book, you've read all of the Deathstalker/Lost Fleet books.

This is true for all of Simon R. Greene’s series, and even between the series there is many a repeated motif. Deathstalker is probably one of the best versions though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

PawParole posted:

Anyone know of a story where humans are conquered by aliens and it’s set in the aftermath? ( no ai, vampires or weird poo poo).

I just want to read about humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that

Timothy Zahn's Blackcollar series. Some humans are enhanced.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I finished Jade War. It was definitely slower than the first one but I liked it a fair bit.

Yeah, I've enjoyed the series, although it certainly wasn't going where I thought it was going from the beginning. Much more protomodern.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Major Ryan posted:

OK, well I can put some of the others on the list then and see if I get on any better with them than Consider Phlebas. I do like the idea of the series from what I've read about it, so it's worth another shot if this book is somewhat different from the others.

I would also recommend against Feersum Endjinn unless you really love phonetic spelling. I highly recommend Player of Games or Use of Weapons.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Feersum Endjinn is just Neuromancer with less neon n' chrome and more phonetic spelling. And no Molly.

This is kind of a "sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't eat that filthy motherfucker" kind of scenario.

mllaneza posted:

Now if you want to see some really out there phonetic spelling, there's a chapter early in The Bridge that's the phonetic transcript of the thickest fookin' Scottish brogue that ever was. It took me three tries to 'get it', but I burst out laughing when I finally did. It's a true linguistic accomplishment and a treat to read.

I got through that; I've read all of the non-M books (and all of the M books except Feersum Endjinn). I think The Crow Road is still my favorite.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

EdBlackadder posted:

Yeah, there's probably a discussion about death of the author someone cleverer than I could make. My context is I live in a part of the UK that swings very much to the political right. The National Front have been elected to Parish Councils and to be frank the Committee is how the current EU is explicitly and vocally seen by this group. I don't want to poo poo up the thread with politics but it's pretty troubling and it's far too close from what I hear on the streets for comfort.

Yeah, you're right, and the Owner trilogy is where it comes out more than most other Asher.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Teddybear posted:

I mean, yeah. I ended up zoning out for most of GRRM's rambles and I was cooking dinner during the guy I think that was also a dick, but I very much noticed GRRM ham-fisting a shitload of names, including calling "FIYAH" "fee-yuh" instead of "fie-yah." I can't really argue with that review.

All of the nominees were required to send in phonetic spellings of their names in advance, btw.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Early reviews of Tyrant Baru Cormorant are starting up, it's out next week. Get those preorders in! I'm coming to be pushing it pretty hard here, sorry in advance.

Fine, fine, if you insist...*checks notes*

Oh, right.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Khizan posted:

Also KJ Parker books tend to be... bleak. It can make them a little hard to recommend to some people.

It's more that after reading...*checks notes* 16 KJ Parker books and several novellas, while I buy them, read them, and enjoy them, I'm always waiting for the brutal twist.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Poldarn posted:

Brutal twist and an arts and crafts project you can make with your kid!

That's great (and also perfect AV / post combo). Although in more recent books Parker seems to be mellowing out a bit - while there are a couple of twists in How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It, nothing will shock you to the bone.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

awesmoe posted:

yeah exactly, which...whatever, quippy dialog is fine i guess - except the whole thing is that they're meant to be old people! but they're old people who dont talk like old people, or think like old people, or act like old people, so whats the point?

1. For the opening sentences "I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife's grave. Then I joined the army."

2. The old people, as you note, fully expected to be rejuvenated at some point, or something to happen anyway. You are correct that after about 1/4 of the book they are all just super-soldiers.

3. It sets up the actual fundamental conflict of the series: The Colonial Union is run by a bunch of dicks exploiting Earthlings without providing all the good tech that could solve problems on Earth, most obviously the rejuvenation technology.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

DurianGray posted:

I really dug Raven Tower and it's definitely a lot different from Leckie's other stuff if you've read any of that (Ancillary Justice, etc.). But, I also think that if you've liked her other stuff, it's worth checking out. I definitely agree that the second person works well, and I really enjoyed how the various magic/deities worked.

Hard disagree re: second person, but I did enjoy the book overall and the concept of the world.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

quantumfoam posted:

-A Heinlein Defense Squad member dismissively recommended John Steakley's ARMOR if RAH's view of interstellar warfare grated on you. This counts as one of the first mentions of John Steakley's ARMOR in the SFL Archives.

I loved Armor as a teen, but I’ve been scared to reread it as an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

I re-read Mercedes Lackey's Arrows of the Queen, the first of the Valdemar saga, and here's my revised review:
Arrows of the Queen is not a perfect novel, and I cannot give it five stars thanks to its uneven pacing - but it is an indulgent one, a sweet one, and a book I would happily give to anyone who needs a pick-me-up. See, it's a book about a young girl who flees an abusive home, is rescued by a magical horse, and spends the rest of the novel growing up at a magical college. The end of the novel is her finally accepting that she's home, she has friends, and she's happy.
I loved all of Lackey's Valdemar books as a child, and I think I first found this one - which I thought had won some sort of award, but apparently not - around the age of 10 or so. There are some retcons as the series progresses, I have to admit.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finished Arrow's Flight (Valdemar #2) and oh man I love this book:

A fascinating exploration of mental health, the ethics of being a magical empath, and a disaster survival novel all in one. What a book!
This one is great, and it ties in well with the remainder of the Valdemar books (at least the first 10 or so).