Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Orv posted:

I only have so much linear time! :argh:

this is real good, worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

God emperor is bonkers and great, the following two have vagina witches from beyond the edge of space so I cannot being myself to hate them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a goon book that just came out, the dawnhounds, that is very good. Not a series, though it will be I understand.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CJ Cherryh's morgaine books are great, she also has a huge endless sci fi series (all ending in -er) which I have never warmed to.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Look to Windward had this as the premise and did some interesting things with it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mary sue just means boringly perfect.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Its shorthand for a kind of bad writing, and it's easily falsifiable by pointing out flaws: holmes is arrogant, short tempered and a cocaine addict, for e.g.

I mean you suggested replacing it with a brief summary of exactly what it means. Or you could just use the term.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Idk battuta, I guess I just disagree with your premise because there's no confusion about the term in this thread, it's mildly useful shorthand for a kind of bad writing.

Goddammit I just lastworded you, sorry ok I'm done

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

professor metis posted:

someone find a stray dog to take a message to avshalom

Avshalom never left

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If I hated perdido st for those reasons what mieville should i read? The city and the city?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If this isn't utterly berzerk then it will be a failure, elric is a fuckin fever dream

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Scar, as I se it now, is about a protofeminist from an oppressive society falling in love with an utterly toxic jerk. I don’t really appreciate it anymore. Iron Council is much better, at least it deals with themes of colonialism and workers’ solidarity in a somewhat meaningful way. PSS is just bleak and worthless, the author piling one horror on top of another until everything becomes meaningless.

Yes, it was a hateful slab of words

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sounds like the origin story for Edge of Tomorrow

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The paladin is a very good cherryh standalone, and the four morgaine books are also excellent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyteen is good, but it's basically just people preparing for and undertaking meetings and listening to voice mail, Space Genetic Horror edition. I like most of her other books a lot more because stuff actually happens.

Also morgaine is a cracking love story.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

All of this has happened before.

Hey I should read Cosmicomics! It sounds really cool.

Calvino is just insanely good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NikkolasKing posted:

Are there any good scifi or fantasy books that prominently feature a hivemind entity/race? For those of you who have played System Shock 2, I am new to it and realized that The Many greatly interest me and I'd like to see more of the same or similar. I am no good at FPSes so Halo and the Flood are out. Besides, as much as love me some video games, nothing beats a good book with regards to bizarre alien lifeforms.

I've gotten some great recs in the past in here and was hoping for more of the same. Thanks in advance.

CJ Cherryh did good insects in serpents reach.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Victory Unintentional.

I always liked the one about Cutie, whose job is to keep space power beams on target and who quite reasonably determines that the outside universe is false data, they're obeying god, and the humans who visit the satellite are just being created with false memories because they can't handle the truth and then destroyed when they leave.

And they're like, well, you do you guy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Matter. A book about a big piece of matter and about how different things matter.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I think it was about how nothing matters.

That too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Black Griffon posted:

I enjoyed Eon somewhat until everyone started to have sex with everyone else at the same time or something. It's been a few years.

Edit: there's tons of good suggestions here though I'm cataloguing everything.

"Sorry I really need to gently caress someone now would you mind?" "Sure." (They gently caress)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cythereal posted:

Nimisha's Ship by Anne McAffery was a very pleasant surprise from my local library. I've never read a book by her before, so I gave this one a shot. What I got was a pretty standard YA sci-fi adventure coming-of-age story, but with the unusual twist that the protagonist is a woman and the book is unapologetically written by a woman for a female audience. Sure, the story is pure stock and Nimisha is a wish fulfillment character without shame, but it's still pretty neat to happen across a sci-fi book where the protagonist is a woman who dreams of becoming a master engineer and starship designer, and throughout the book it's her intelligence and skill as an engineer that are consistently relevant to the plot, rather than her beauty and wealth (she's gorgeous and ridiculously wealthy, natch). There's even a lesbian couple late in the book that no one comments on as being weird except that it's those two particular personalities pairing up. Teenage me would have gone gaga over this book, and it was still a quick, enjoyable read now.

The Ship Who Sang by her is a whole book of stories about a brain in a jar lady piloting a ship around, it's extremely 70s tho

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fez_machine posted:

I found the original thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3249773

and you're right! instead of hillarious burn after hilarious burn on the poor prose quality of "Mr Shivers" it's just pages of people empty quoting the word "human being"

lol classic fyad lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

lol classic fyad lol

there's actually some p funny stuff in there, but the book looks fine they're mainly just writing parodies and laughing at them

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A human heart posted:

This is comically awful, no wonder people made fun of it.

Go on?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Hey guys, has anybody read any of the Elder Scrolls books? Or Warhammer 40k tie-ins? :derp:

You must have read them, what do you think of the Witcher books?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Elphinstone was promoted to major-general in 1837, and, in 1841, during the First Anglo-Afghan War, placed in command of the British garrison in Kabul, Afghanistan, numbering around 4,500 troops, of whom 690 were European and the rest Indian.[4] The garrison also included 12,000 civilians, including soldiers' families and camp followers. He was elderly, indecisive, weak, and unwell, and proved himself utterly incompetent for the post. His entire command was massacred during the British retreat from Kabul during January 1842.[5]

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My eyes just rolled so far back in my head they're staring at my gullet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ccs posted:

The thread in this forum about the Flashman books makes me think Abercrombie was influenced by George Macdonald Fraser. Jezal is a lot like Flashman and Fraser roasts the poo poo out of the British military during their imperial age. The Union military leadership is at least as competent as Britain’s was when they ran half the world.

Exactly.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pride of Chanur and the next 3 if you liked that, they go deep into gritty political sci fi drama then pop out into borderline romantic comedy for the last one, Foreigner, Merchanter's Luck, Forty Thousand in Gehenna, Serpents Reach, Faded Sun trilogy. Possibly Definitely Morgaine as well, but I never liked those as much. and The Paladin

I should give it another go but I really didn't like Foreigner. it's probably her best seller though since she keeps writing them.

I read a funny/true comment about cherryh which is that her books are nearly all about the successful arrangement and completion of meetings

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ToxicFrog posted:

The successful arrangement and completion of meetings, culminating in a bus ride to a gunfight.

yep lol

chanur books have good chaotic gunfights

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

eke out posted:

I looked up what this was and.. just jumping in on Literally Book 16 does not sound like a great idea

are the early books worth picking up?

preteen me remembers them being vaguely hot in an overheated repressed catholic kind of way, idk if that holds up

Could someone sell me on the Foreigner series? I love cherryh but bounced off the first one, if they're really good i should dig in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fritz posted:

Those were probably Katherine Kurtz's Deryini books.

Ohhhhhh of course they were lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's nothing bizarrely sexual about children greasing themselves up and wrestling each other to death tyvm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiac posted:

I didn’t know that vampires counted as hard sci-fi?

if blindsight isnt hard sci fi nothing is

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The trilogy is a single book, cherryh was very unhappy it got broken up. The fifth one is actually p funny in its own gritty sci fi way

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fritz posted:

Maybe dude ought to stick to space vampires.

why?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kesper North posted:

I shouldn't be surprised but seeing Watts talk down hopepunk a couple of posts prior to this, in the context of all his shiny new Bulgarian friends who are also convinced that nothing can ever be better and that humans are fundamentally evil, makes me worry he's gonna go full Solzhenitsyn on us and start shilling for Putin.

watts has been despairingly grim since forever, he's sci fi cassandra

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought it was more he's surprised that's all it took to disrupt the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really liked going postal, and both thud and wintersmith (which came after) are excellent imo.