Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I genuinely put aside Shadow just because my old Kindle has a crappy slow highlight dictionary function, and I really wanted to catch the meanings of those. I should upgrade just for that reason.
There's no wrong way to read a book and I myself normally break the flow of reading a book to look up any word I don't know, but I can't help but delurk to say that you're not supposed to know the exact meanings of the words used in Book of the New Sun. Few readers at the time would have even owned a sufficiently unabridged dictionary to look them up. They're supposed to wash over you and give the writing an alien-but-still-familiar vibe that I've never seen done anywhere else in quite the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

branedotorg posted:

So, following on from this is was thinking of reading 'the borrowed man' and wondered if the thread recommends it?
I don't think there's a consensus but here's what I think having read almost every Wolfe novel, including Borrowed Man but not yet its posthumously published sequel. Personally I wouldn't recommend reading Borrowed Man unless you've read all of Wolfe's major novels: New Sun, Fifth Head, Long Sun, Short Sun, Soldier series, Wizard Knight, and Peace. If you've read all that and still want to dip into his less well-known work, his late novels have some really interesting stuff in them but often feel like a trip to the dentist where you're somehow working as hard as the dentist but still feeling like the patient (Wizard Knight has some sections like this already so you might know what I mean). I think Pirate Freedom and Sorcerer's House are probably better places to start. If you still like those, then read all his late novels, including Borrowed Man and Home Fires. Earlier minor stuff like Free Live Free, Castleview, and There Are Doors await the completist but in my view are failed experiments on his part with different styles and structures.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
It's an oversimplificiation but I think of authors as having varying strengths at (and interest in!) plot, character, prose, setting, and ideas. Readers are likewise often very focused on only some of those. Setting ("worldbuilding") used to be a big deal in fantasy but seems like it's gone out of style; I think people who really appreciate setting often read historical fiction. People who appreciate prose above all else probably read literary fiction (this is why literary critics are always complaining that "spoiler warnings" shouldn't be needed...they just don't care about plot).

I say that because the Sanderson I have read was extremely good at a particular kind of plot, one that sets up mysteries like the TV show Lost, but which actually resolves them in a satisfying way. His Mistborn trilogy is better at this than almost anything I have ever read. Alas in every other respect it's thoroughly mediocre. I haven't read Way of Kings but will try it eventually because I think the effect is better at longer lengths; when I've read shorter books of Sanderson's (e.g. Alloy of Law) there's not enough space for the setup->resolution to be as satisfying.

That's not the only reason he's successful. He brings a science fictional rigor to fantasy that appeals to a certain sort of reader (I guess you could call it setting) and of course his amazing productivity has served him very well. But I have been surprised there aren't more authors who aren't able to match his use of satisfying reveals; I guess it's harder than it seems. Or maybe his rigorous "magic" lends itself to it. But I can easily name 20 SF/F books that set up intriguing mysteries and then completely fail to deliver on them and then another 20 that have great characters or prose but which have bizarrely misfiring plots. I can even name other books with rigidly mechanical magic. But it's tough to point to authors who are as good at reveals.

I'm sure others could make better suggestions but when I think of people who come close to what Sanderson does, Ada Palmer and (yes, really) Seth Dickinson come to mind (life not being fair I don't know if it would succeed, but if you ever make a Kickstarter I at least would back it!). I don't think they're quite as effective as Sanderson is in Mistborn...but fortunately they are better (it seems to me) in every other respect. But I think for different reasons those both give many readers ample reason not to like them. Mycroft's style of narration is a clear reason in Palmer's case; I loved it but it's not going to be to everyone's taste. And when I gave Traitor Baru Cormorant as a gift to an avid fantasy reader, she read a bit and told me, "I can tell this is really good, but my life is too stressful to read something like this right now." So maybe the secret to popularity is being very good at one particular aspect of writing and then being bland and inoffensive in every other area. I guess you could argue this is the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula, just replace plot revelations with interconnected storylines.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
Just finished KJ Parker's Practical Guide to Conquering the World, his third "Siege" book. Probably my least favorite of the three but still good. Glad I read it. However he reminds me of later Iain M Banks in that he has this ideological belief that story structure and individual agency is a lie that he can't bring himself to tell, so in each of the Siege books (no details, just thematic/tone of ending spoiler) the first 90% is unrealistic story genius hero stuff and then at the last second he kneecaps the protagonist, has a damp squib sort of ending, and is like, hey man that's just life, you know. Which is fair, except why do the first 90% as contrived The Martian poo poo then? Just write literary fiction about professors cheating on their spouses if you want realism, sheesh. Per the Sanderson discussion, of course the answer is those realistic books win awards but no one buys them. Ol' KJ's gotta put food on the table but still look at himself in the mirror and see an artist. I enjoy mocking the hypocrisy here but these really are mostly fun books, just harder to recommend to friends than they should be.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
I read all of Crown of Stars recently. It's a slow burn and never really hits the peaks one hopes it would, but I thought it did a better job than almost any other fantasy at reconstructing an early middle ages mindset about nobility, honor, and religion. A lot of authors (including one with a record setting kickstarter...) handle premodern settings by putting more or less modern people in a place with horses instead of cars and, maybe, make a bit of an effort to give them the manners and ideological nationalism of a Victorian. Crown of Stars reads almost like alternate history because Elliot pays so much attention to how people think in the setting, which has magic and monsters but also an alternate matriarchal Christianity (St Paul was a woman in this timeline and preached a Docetic doctrine). The only other strong example of that I've encountered is Eifelheim by Michael Flynn, about aliens arriving in the 1300s. But if you're one of the vast majority of people who doesn't think what I just wrote sounds interesting and you just want a fun, exciting fantasy novel, I wouldn't recommend it.

As a side note, a year ago or so, Kate Elliot published book 1 of a space opera take on a gender-swapped Alexander the Great's childhood and I thought it was great, like someone found an unpublished Peter F Hamilton manuscript and edited out all of the unnecessary and somewhat problematic sex, leaving a cool, widescreen space opera that's long but not doorstoppy. Hope she puts out some sequels soon.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

unconquerable sun is the name of the book

Kate Elliot posted:

Book 2, Furious Heaven, arrives in Winter 2023 (no set date yet, but it’s written and ready to go).
But I mainly posted this to comment I just don't understand why publishers take so goddamn long to publish books in series like this. It's one thing if you're waiting for a Martin or Rothfuss to write the drat thing, or if it's a debut author without a following, or even book 1 of a new series from a midlist author like Elliot. But when it's book 2, kind of a hard sell to begin with, it seems like the sooner you get it out there the more likely people who read book 1 still remember they liked it, and the more likely others will see it and then buy book 1. We know they can publish books quickly, because they do it for people like Sanderson.

I've heard some real horror stories from midlist authors about how inattentive editors are at the big houses, so I guess the answer must be that if you're not at the top of the popularity power law, it's not going to sell that much anyway and the publishers can barely be bothered to publish it at all, so they just put it in the first open spot on their schedule and stop thinking about it.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

pradmer posted:

Visitor (Foreigner #17) by CJ Cherryh - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011IVP478/

Heroes Die (Acts of Caine #1) by Matthew Stover - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MYA38W/
Interesting juxtaposition here.

Hard to believe but it's been 24 years since Heroes Die was published. I'm not nearly as enamored with its "invincible martial artist" shtick as I was back then, but the content between the fight scenes felt so rich and interesting I would have expected Stover to have a great career ahead of him. Instead I don't think he's published anything in a decade. I don't blame him for that, to be clear; being an author is a very tough and usually poorly paid job, but as a reader who would have liked to see what came next it's a shame.

For her part, Cherryh somehow managed to publish 17 Foreigner books in a little less than thirty years. Individually they can't be making that much money but she's managed to stick out a midlist career long after the death of the midlist market. For most of that time I was frustrated by the fact Foreigner sequels were apparently more in demand than Alliance Union stuff and particularly a Cyteen sequel. But then we got Regenesis and, well, it's worth reading, but maybe Cyteen was a once in a lifetime moment.

This made me look up another author who was very exciting but dropped off the map, Steph Swainston. Year of Our War felt important and powerful when it first came out, don't think I remember seeing it discussed here, at least recently. She burned out and stopped writing for a while, but it turns out she put out another book in the Castle series in 2016 and I didn't hear about and said three more were coming (but so far they haven't).

When I was a teenager I spent a lot of time looking forward to forthcoming books and getting burned on them, series mostly forgotten now like Charles Sheffield's Heritage books (the last one was a disaster) and David Brin's Uplift trilogy (again, the last one was a disaster). Maybe the next wave of authors learned something from that; Martin and Rothfuss certainly found an elegant solution to the last-one-disaster problem, but the fans seemed to have gotten burned just the same. I think I do better these days at just appreciating what I have and taking what comes. Hopefully Martin and Rothfuss fans learned that too. Or maybe they're just contributing to the Brandon Sanderson kickstarter instead.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

I know this thread rarely talks about sf critics, but I wanna ask if anyone here knows of what ever happened to Jonathan McCalmont. He used to be active online in the late 2000s and through the 2010s on various blogs, had a regular column in Interzone magazine, and was on the "Shadow Clarke" jury for a year or two. However, sometime around the end of 2017 he seemed to completely vanish from the internet, and there's been no word of what he's been doing. Given how critical he was of how genre culture was evolving in the 2010s, I've wondered if he despaired of finding anything in science fiction to his liking and just abandoned criticism entirely. Don't get me wrong, he was often a colossal prick, but he had an interesting voice that's been missing from the landscape.
Even before his blog died out he was writing mostly about arthouse cinema. I don't have any information about him but I think a lot of really literary focused people from that late 2000s BSFA scene gravitated towards--well, if not outright mainstream literary fiction, then stuff very close to that boundary. Abigail Nussbaum, my favorite critic fifteen years ago, is still an active blogger but her reading has mostly transcended the spacetime continuum of books I read or even have heard of (though I see she wrote recently about the Arkady Martine sequel).

The other thing that happened in that timeframe is that book discussions in that community moved from blogs like those of Niall Harrison, Adam Roberts, and Abigail Nussbaum to Twitter. People who couldn't bring themselves to adapt to Twitter fell by the wayside during the transition. Really by "people" I mean me because I participated some in that scene up some until that point. Just speculating but I could see Jonathan McCalmont as the sort of guy who might have the same trouble.

Anyway that's a lot to say given I don't actually know the answer to your question but it's fun to see a reference to those people on here.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Llamadeus posted:

You're right and it seems to me like it's a left a gap in "serious" SFF criticism. Most of the blogs and review sites active today feel like they exist to receive ARCs from publishers.
I agree and really miss it but sadly there was never much of an audience for it. Readership on those blogs at their height was a tiny fraction of, I don't know, Tor.com or whatever. It takes a ton of effort to produce that content so losing even a few active critics (to other pursuits or just to Twitter) meant losing a big chunk of the feedback that made it fun. I guess this points to another explanation: people got older, had more family obligations and so on, and weren't replaced by younger people.

Theoretically there's a better ecosystem now for supporting niche writers with things like Substack and Patreon but (IMO) they work best for individual writers who can produce a large amount of material.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Leng posted:

Reporting back.

The Sword of Kaigen would fit. It starts off with a typical teenaged protagonist going to school butting heads with a new transfer student and sets him up to be the hero leading a rebellion against the government's propaganda machine but the book is actually about his mom, who gave up her life of crime fighting to become a housewife after an arranged marriage, dealing with her cold, abusive husband and the aftermath and loss suffered due to war intruding upon their quiet village life.

[...]

Finally in terms of pure enjoyment I liked The Sword of Kaigen way more than say, The Poppy War, flaws and all.
Sword of Kaigen is an interesting book because so much of it is just deeply silly. I mean, the setting is clearly Avatar: The Last Airbender with only half the serial numbers filed off. The housewife Leng mentions is literally a retired superhero who now lives in The Village of Brooding Anime Samurai. It's impossible to take seriously...

...but drat, the way it transitions hard from kids trying to become the best magic samurai to flawed people in a faltering marriage struggling with grief is incredible. I can't think of too many other similar stories...Lord of the Rings has a pivot but it's pretty quick and also gradual, not super-sharp. The visual novel series Muv-Luv might be the closest thing. Anyway, things like this are basically impossible to recommend but it's interesting how the impact of the pivot is greater because of how silly it is at first, especially if you don't know the pivot is coming. Which yes I just spoiled but that's the trouble, no one would read it without knowing there was some change coming, but then that lessens the impact.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there other books and/or book series out there that do the same thing Malazan does? Big cast / historical vibe, where you have to figure out what's going on, piece together the worldbuilding, etc? If you know of any that are worth it, tell me!
Some other good answers but wanted to offer some things more off the beaten path:

The Acacia trilogy by David Anthony Durham is a bit like this. Starts out suspiciously like Game of Thrones but then takes it in a, well, Malazanian direction without ever becoming the sprawling slog that Malazan does. I thought this overall was really strong and am still disappointed it didn't get more attention.

Another one might be Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars trilogy which does a much better job than Malazan IMO act making the characters seem like historically-situated people. It too has a strange cosmology (weird magic like Malazan but also a near-alternate history thing where St. Paul was a woman and Christianity became much more matriarchal) that you have to piece together what the heck is going on and how it all fits together. This one unfortunately is also like Malazan in that it also sprawls into a bit of a slog, but I finished it whereas I petered out in book 7 or 8 of Malazan and the ending was solid.

Not historical but with science fiction, seems like people don't talk about Hannu Rajaniemi's Quantum Thief trilogy much anymore but that's one where it seems impossible to understand for 1.5 books and then it all starts making sense, so much sense that the third book feels a bit dull.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
Tolkien seems to have coined the term "Secondary World" and included worlds that tenuously link to our in it like Middle Earth, but what was the first to drop the link is a really interesting question. I'd never heard of Phantasmion but past that Peake's Gormenghast (first novel 1946) and Franz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (first story published 1939) seem like candidates. In both cases I don't think it's quite so explicit as, I don't know, Song of Ice and Fire that there's no connection to our world but nevertheless there isn't really one.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
Coming a bit late but re: authors in the Gene Wolfe tradition, the previously mentioned Ada Palmer is the person who comes to mind as a novelist but for a novella I'd add Kai Ashante Wilson's The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps and for short story collections Kelly Link's Magic for Beginners.

Also the question was about today's Gene Wolfe and he's really more "yesterday's Gene Wolfe" with Gene Wolfe alas being at least two days ago now but Michael Swanwick's Stations of the Tide deserves a mention as well.

For an author who was "your favorite author's favorite author" it's a little surprising there aren't more books that are clearly Wolfe-inspired, but I guess sales-wise Wolfe was at best a midlist author so maybe the engines of commerce are actively fighting his influence. Too Like the Lightning (which I love) did get nominated for a Hugo but lost badly and its Goodreads rating count is almost a tenth of, say, Gideon the Ninth or Babel: An Arcane History.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

neongrey posted:

scalzi is generally ok qualitywise, meets deadlines, gets people into the genre (or so i'm told), and is pretty much scandal free, so it makes sense he'd get the ginormous contracts, that's a great package deal there, even if most of us are not going to be particularly interested in his work
I'm sure many of us were around and remember but for those younger it might be hard to imagine...Scalzi's origin story is that he was a very successful blogger back when blogs were first becoming a big deal and some decent writers got big by being in the right place at the right time. I wasn't a big fan of his blog but by the standards of the day thought he was pretty good at it. He churned out posts while maintaining a breezy, very mildly humorous writing style. The point is he actually self-published Old Man's War in serialized form on his blog before eventually selling it to Tor, so he brought a decent-sized pre-existing audience to his first traditionally published novel and an independent ability to market his subsequent books. As we all know it is hard as gently caress to get people to read a book so anyone with any kind of leverage on that front probably really is worth the big contract. Using goodreads ratings as a rough indication it seems like a decent audience has stuck around despite the dwindling effort he puts in and the heat death of the version of nerd internet culture where he was a big celebrity in the mid-00s. Maybe it's the tweeting? I see he still has 200K followers.

He does seem to be a genuinely nice guy and hey people with far more talent than he has have elected to cash in instead of knuckling down to produce one more true masterpiece (maybe it's a hot take but I'd put both Zelazny and Iain Banks in that category for instance, maybe CJ Cherryh too? probably lots of candidates here) so good for him.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

GhastlyBizness posted:

I get why Old Man's War was popular in the early 00s, as a mildly liberal response to Heinlein with a lot of quipping, but the scale of the positive response was weird. Like you already had prominent works like Armor or The Forever War doing stuff in that milsf space for decades, and Scalzi's offering didn't feel so much in dialogue with them as doing what they did in a rougher, more adventure story way.
Kind of like cicadas, every so often some people come out of the ground say "no one's writes good ol' space opera anymore!" then look around and see that, oh wait, some people are still writing space opera, and then they enthusiastically celebrate those people before laying eggs for the next generation and dying (or whatever the reason is that hype dies down). Oddly this can have a populist or highbrow inflection, maybe it's different colonies of cicadas on different cycles, so while the sad puppies might have been a traditionalist variant back in the early 00s we had a British manifestation that celebrated authors like Alistair Reynolds and Charlie Stross. Scalzi's mild liberalism helped him fit in though Old Man's War wasn't nearly as daring. So there was a lot of buzz in general and for reasons I mentioned elsewhere Scalzi sold way, way better than Reynolds and Stross. Then Leviathan Wakes came along and did even less new than Old Man's War and with better execution, swamped it in sales, and my sense is people entering the genre today probably read that and not Scalzi, Reynolds, or Stross.

GhastlyBizness posted:

Tbh I think that may be a product of, well, SFF's occasionally short memory of itself? Or maybe a better way to put it would be the relatively short lifespan of most books in the consciousness of the readership (which is always going to have tons of people coming into it afresh, that eternal september thing). The other example that comes to mind is how everyone was raving about Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice in 2013, for how it played with gender and pronouns. It certainly did that well and interestingly (though I thought the portrayal of soft imperialism via constant tea ceremonies was actually cooler) but it was sold and discussed as the big unprecedented thing.
Ancillary Justice is an example of how you can't please all the people all the time, but occasionally you can at least please a lot of people. If you're a certain sort of reader interested in pronouns/gender or colonialism then it delivers, but it also has cool Banksian AI stuff and a lot of almost Stross-ian SFnal speculation with clones and Dyson spheres and so on. Lots of different types of readers find something to like = Hugo award. I guess Ann Leckie is the reverse of Scalzi, though, because instead of keeping the cash flowing by writing more widescreen popcorn space opera with some meditations on colonialism and gender mixed in, she followed up with what she really wanted to do: CJ Cherryh tea-time diplomacy. There's enough of an audience for that to keep the endless Foreigner books going but it doesn't have the broad appeal.

(honestly I feel a little gross talking so much about popularity and sales instead of the books themselves but I guess I find it interesting and have been thinking about it a lot lately)

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

This book [Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro] is incredibly good!! Not sure why he doesn’t get nominated for hugo/nebulas as his last three books have been increasingly straight SF or Fantasy but he won the noble prize after putting out this book! I won’t spoil what’s SF about it (teenagers going to a boarding school in England where something strange is definitely going on), read it!
Coincidentally I just finished this. It's a very good book but I think it's actually a great example of how mainstream and genre fiction differ. Yes, there's a specific SF (alt history actually) conceit around which everything revolves. But the book doesn't actually care about it, it's just a metaphor. So the "worldbuilding" (a word Ishiguro might never have encountered) doesn't really make any sense.

Meanwhile, apart from the metaphor, the whole focus of the book and the reason it's celebrated is the close attention to the day by day lived experiences of ordinary people living relatively ordinary lives, a deep character focus you almost never see in genre fiction. Even character-focused genre fiction has very little time for the ordinary. Mainstream fiction like this aspires to hold a mirror up that you can see yourself in, genre fiction wants to show you something new.

I know most genre boundary stuff is fake and artificial but I maintain this is a real distinction. Ishiguro gets the tiniest amount of distance from ordinary with the SF element but doesn't want any more distance lest it turn off his readers. I think many veteran SF readers will read this and be like "yes, and...?"

A spoilery concrete version of my argument for those who've read the book: The characters occasionally dream of living different lives but they never even muse on the possibility of breaking the rules and escaping the system even though they are products of the same individualist western culture that has produced all manner of idiosyncratic rebels. Why? Real people in this situation would at least consider escape, and genre characters in a YA dystopia would be actively working on it by chapter three and go on to destroy the whole evil system by the second sequel. But donation isn't real, it's a metaphor for aging. Completion is a metaphor for inevitable death. People who read mainstream fiction can't imagine a way to escape death, so the characters can't either.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

Glad you liked the book.

I think the world is pretty well built tbh, I agree that your spoilered concern can be frustrating but honestly is much more realistic than the idea that these people in particular would join a resistance or something. I don’t think it’s just because it’s meant to be an allegory. I think he’s genuinely presenting us with the sort of characters who don’t rebel, who obviously way outnumber the revolutionaries even in the worst and most totalitarian societies.
Upon further reflection I'll agree that he's particularly interested in how ordinary people deal with injustice, so Kathy thinks that Tommy's tantrums are somehow in response to the injustice of the world. And the climactic confrontation with "Madame" turns into a kind of mean satire where this woman has worked really hard to help these kids for years but won't talk to them for longer than a few minutes because some furniture is getting moved and that's more important to her. I see that interest in ordinary people as being characteristic of mainstream fiction but you probably won't buy that and I don't think I'm widely enough read to cite a bunch of other examples. The Handmaid's Tale came to mind as another mainstream crossover book about ordinary people but actually that one is much more interested in the world than Ishiguro so I'll have to issue it a passport and call it a Real Genre citizen.

buffalo all day posted:

I’ve read sf all my life btw and definitely didn’t have the reaction of “and…?” To me it fit naturally with, like The Twilight Zone or alt history - worlds that are recognizable but also off-kilter.

I also deeply disagree the way you separate lit and “standard” genre fiction. You could frame it completely the opposite way. Like genre as a rule is not trying to show something new other than maybe in the absolute shallowest sense of “imagine a world where cat girls go into heat thrice monthly” is “new” - the characters, plots, feelings, etc are all meant to be comfortable and not new. And “lit” is meant to help you look at the world in a new way. I don’t think that way of reducing it is true either! And that’s not to mention the deep character work in something like Baru…
I love the Baru books and enjoyed them much more than Ishiguro but I see it as an example of what I'm talking about. Baru and Tain Hu are two fascinating and well-drawn characters and honestly a pair I found a lot more gripping than Kathy and Tommy in Never Let Me Go. But it seems obvious to me that Baru and Tain Hu are presented as extraordinary people even by the standards of their societies and then some combination of fate and ambition means that the precise details of their relationship become significant to world-historical events. Whereas Kathy and Tommy are ordinary people in a slightly weird situation but Ishiguro devotes, relatively speaking, a much larger fraction of the narrative to the careful shadings of their friendship. The Baru books have so much else they're interested in it's not possible for them to spend the same amount of time, there's histories of different countries, different social and legal and technological details, economic maneuvers, and so on. At some level you can reduce all fiction to being the same thing, sure, but I think it's a useful project to explain why all things being equal some readers prefer a story like Baru and others prefer a story like Never Let Me Go. The trick is not invalidating someone who likes both along the way, though, sorry if I give that impression.

You also make an interesting point about catgirls being familiar and comfortable to genre fans. Maybe some kinds of genre fandom are motivated that way. But I don't think that explains what people are getting out of authors like Greg Egan or Peter Watts or Ada Palmer or Seth Dickinson. Or even fans of more popular authors like Martin, Sanderson, Rowling, etc.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Marshal Radisic posted:

I read that essay a few months ago, and I've been turning it over in my mind ever since. Near as I can tell, it was one of the last pieces Jonathan McCalmont wrote before he left online sff criticism entirely, though he did briefly return to his blog almost a year ago to pen a memorial for Maureen Kincaid Speller, longtime senior reviews editor of Strange Horizons.
I have been away from this scene for a few years so your post is how I learned Maureen died. drat. :( She was a wonderful person.

Marshal Radisic posted:

What I keep coming back to in the piece is McCalmont's central assertion that the relaxation of genre boundaries that kicked into high gear in the 2000s was not due to the success of the New Weird as a movement, which in McCalmont's estimation was aiming for something more ambitious but ultimately never got a chance to cohere.
McCalmont always had interesting things to say and I was sad he stopped writing but surely in hindsight it's easy to see the New Weird wasn't going to impact anything as a movement because a vanishingly tiny number of people ever even knew the term. Most readers didn't read science fiction and fantasy and most genre readers didn't read genre criticism. I say this as someone who also was immersed in that critical scene to a degree, albeit less so than McCalmont, and it seemed more important than it was because by 2008 or so a bunch of impressive-seeming institutions were controlled by this tiny community: fanzines like Vector, the BSFA and its awards, online zines like Strange Horizons, fun blogs like Niall Harrison's Vector Editors, and so on. These things felt important and vital and there were passionate arguments. Then online culture moved from blogs to Twitter and suddenly the follower counts rubbed it in your face that no one was reading many of these authors, much less the essays by the critics who celebrated them. I know subcultures are only cool when they are tiny but I think I genuinely thought more people were "in the scene" than there were because of the asymmetries of blogging and such.

Today it feels like even Mieville, who seemed like such a giant, is being forgotten. I guess it doesn't help that he was canceled to some degree and he hasn't published much in a decade. But I don't know. In the 90s there were all these people that still revered Clarke and Heinlein and Niven even though it was decades since their good work. Maybe attention spans are shorter. Or maybe I'm still confused about popular vs. critical darlings and Scalzi is today's Niven.

Anyway, it's funny reading those excerpts and seeing how aggressively M John Harrison was fighting for his artistic independence against evil labels. Recently a friend read Perdido Street Station for the first time and asked how he could read something similar. If only there was one of these evil marketing categories available! Especially since we somehow have ChatGPT but no flying cars Amazon still can't recommend a book you'll like. But I guess it worked out because I got to deploy my Comic Book Guy-style knowledge of the genre and felt like a valuable friend since I recommended him a book (Senlin Ascends) and he loved it. It never occurred to me to mention "New Weird" to him or even use it myself to think about recommendations, though looking back I did come up with Steph Swainston as one of the suggestions.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

The books posit a utopia of freedom under dictatorships: a world where the problems of dictatorship have been solved by allowing anyone to change which dictator has authority over them at a whim. So the dictators can't be bad or else they would lose all their people! A perfect solution. The only thing that could go wrong is if all those dictators got together and started colluding.
I like and share your cynical reading of the setting. In fact I think you can go even farther with it. For example, panopticon or not, how did they actually get everyone to go along with this ban on religious speech? A ban that, let's remember, doesn't just prevent annoying Jehovah's Witnesses from knocking on your door but also prevents you from doing any kind of ritual observance with your family? Why is it that the Hives seem to represent Europe, Japan, and that's about it? We're told there was a war and everyone had this Arthur C Clarke moment where they realized talking about religion was dumb and dangerous, but I think it's more plausible that nearly everyone from cultures where religion was still an important part of people's lives are dead. If you want to be charitable then maybe they somehow all did it to each other and the wealthy, secular, and mostly atheist parts of the world just meekly inherited the earth, but...yeah, right. The books also come real close to saying explicitly that the Hive system was founded by a bunch of Davos robber barons.

I really like the last two books and they have lots more grist for this mill so looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. For those who finished the series though: Alas it seems like Ada Palmer is bought in to all this pretty hard! I was really expecting JEDD to be Napoleon who sweeps away the incestuous old order and creates a new enlightened set of laws but...Ada Palmer is a renaissance historian, she likes the renaissance, and she has no interest in letting her setting progress towards some kind of analogue with modernity. She's also into SF fan culture and clearly identifies with the Utopians, even though as Jimbozig alludes to there's a great argument they are actually the bad guys. So...oh well. But what's marvelous and actually strange is that she does very little to jeopardize the cynical reading. Everything works pretty well if you think JEDD is a brainwashed fraud created by Madame as a proxy so she can take over the world. I don't think this was intentional--in a book with this many layers of narration it's easy to pick and choose what you want to believe--but regardless I love that I can still draw my own conclusions.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I think the (later Terra Ignota book spoilers) gundam with achilles in it was just a step too far for me though I do admire the chutzpah.
Yeah part of what's great about these books is Palmer just dials everything she's into to 11. For her they must be The Perfect Books but she's a weird enough person (and I mean that in a good way) that there really may not be anyone else alive who is equally into the renaissance, SF fandom, Gene Wolfe, the Iliad, and anime to the levels needed to enjoy every part of the story.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

tiniestacorn posted:

I got Battuta's latest book, Exordia, from NetGalley and have been reading it before bed and it's very good. Excited to spend more time with my best friend, Ssrin.
Oh! Oh boy can't wait to--

Wikipedia posted:

Expected on: January 23, 2024
Man publishing timelines are just so slow. I don't really understand why. I hope the good General is getting great support from his publishers but what I've heard from authors of comparable status in the last decade is that the big houses do hardly any editing anymore. They just shove the books out assuming most will fail anyway. And, okay, that's capitalism or something, but can they at least shove them out faster? If there were elaborate marketing campaigns that'd be one thing but ironically it's the famous big selling authors who probably do get marketing support that see their books jump into the queue to get published ASAP the moment the author's done with it.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

eXXon posted:

I'm giving up on A Memory Called Empire about 25% in. I find the plot superficially similar to The Goblin Emperor, in that it's (somewhat implausibly) whirlwind court intrigue drama with a main character thrust into a leading role they're not ready for, except in AMCE it makes even less sense because she was specifically trained to fulfill her role, albeit hurriedly.
I liked Goblin Empire, the Ancillary sequels, and similar books more than you sound like you did. I think it's very much in that vein. (As a side note, imagine going back to the mid- to late-1990s and trying to convince someone that CJ Cherryh's Foreigner will more successful literary descendants in the 2020s than Neal Stephenson, Dan Simmons, or Bujold's Vorkosigan series!)

I liked AMCE too but remember it as being worse than I thought at the time (just checked my contemporaneous notes) because instead of merely trying to be a good anxiety/comfort novel, Martine tries to write a great novel. I approve of her ambition but it didn't work out. She nails the moves from her subgenre influences but the book has its sights set on exploring the combination of menace and seduction of a powerful empire and for me fails entirely at this. The empire feels like a small town and nothing about it seems particularly bad, so it's not menacing, and the amazing and seductive culture amounts to prestige TV plus improvisational poetry you'd have to be completely fluent in their language to hope to understand.

I think the Baru Cormorant books are just orders of magnitude better on this front since they understand that what makes the culture of colonial empires seductive is first and foremost economic (they can pay you a hell of a lot more than you can make in your village) and technological (running water, medical care that works) factors. That's what brings people in, not Vergil or Shakespeare. The closest thing to a media-first empire is the modern American hegemony but to write a book exploring that you can't use some handwaved analogues to Rome and Victorian Britain.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

got some chores tonight posted:

As a rebuttal to the last few posts about it, I think it's a very poor interpretation that Ada Palmer thinks the Terra Ignota world (as described in the first book) is a utopia, given the framing of the first two books is a history of how the government collapsed. All the stuff that seems bad, yes, does turn out to be bad in the later books!
It's true that there are some structural changes, but after JEDD saying his followers had to allow him to completely dismantle the world and all the really grim war stuff, I was pretty turned off by all the same faces from both sides remaining in charge of the slightly modified hive system. I didn't believe for a second the suffering people of this world would accept that (assuming they had any choice, which it didn't seem like they did) after what they went through and I as a reader didn't accept it either. And as a political solution, "give absolute power to this extremely weird dude who has convinced a small minority that he is a god" is one of the most toxic endings ever. I love the books but come on. It reminds me of John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar in that it achieves its happy ending through a means so outrageous that it loops around and becomes depressing.

Of course, the cynical reading that Madame orchestrated all this to rule the world through a brainwashed JEDD is still available, she "dies" off screen and in an extremely perfunctory way. In this reading, Mycroft is a creative serial killer who is captured by Madame and in return for freedom helps her convince people that Utopian toys are the result of Bridger's "powers" when actually he was a regular kid (or didn't exist at all).

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Benagain posted:

Based on our recent conversation I have decided that the world needs a sci Fi novel set in a future solar system where all the plot details are based on the 30 years war and Germany is represented either by the belt or Jupiter's moons. Probably the latter now I think of it.
The genius of A-M is that it's not really taking plot points from history, it's stealing details of real ship battles cherry-picked from similar time periods and using those for its action scenes completely divorced from whatever context the real ship battle occurred in. Mostly when people are transposing old battle technology into SF, they do it with World War II carrier battles where there really aren't enough to choose from for the A-M technique.

An example of what you're talking about with plot is Kate Elliot's Unconquered Sun, which is sort of a retelling of Alexander the Great's life as a Peter Hamilton-style doorstop space opera. I haven't read the second one yet (might wait for the third since it's supposed to be a trilogy) but thought it worked well in the first book. We don't really know much about Alexander's life so most of the details are author-invented and therefore fresh and new, just sprinkled with little bits of "lol spot the reference" for the knowledgeable (e.g. Bucephalus is a spaceship instead of a horse).

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
"Memory holing" happens to almost all art, it's unavoidable. Unless we all stop reading any new books, we're going to collectively forget about the older ones as time goes on. It's probably worse in science fiction in particular since SF often doesn't age as well as other genres, but it happens with everything.

I'm kind of a near-term AI skeptic and tired of the current hype cycle around it but I do have a small hope that large language models can somehow help with the recommendation problem. It's been 25 years and they know all of my book purchases and yet Amazon still cannot recommend me books I want to read. This seems like a much easier problem to me than having an AI actually write a good book from scratch. And there's clearly a lot of money to be made solving this problem. If we have to suffer the indignities of capitalism we should at least reap the benefits and have someone get richer than God by solving this problem.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
I never really thought about this before but I guess before home video was common, a novelization was the only practical way to revisit the story of a movie you liked?

Since then I'm not sure there's much of a point, unless like me you were a kid who wasn't allowed to watch any movies rated higher than PG but was allowed to check out whatever he wanted from the library...

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Given the mixed reception to Machineries of Empire, are there any recent space opera series that people would recommend? Or individual books, I'm not too picky.
I just started the third book of Adrian Tchaikovsky's Final Architecture trilogy so I can't fully vouch for how it ends yet but the first two books were solid. I don't think it's gotten as much praise as his Children of Time trilogy and...well, to be honest it's not quite as good, but it hits the spot. It's sort of mid-career David Brin mixed with Star Wars with just a hint of the ol' Becky Chambers.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Anode posted:

Why did he get so dull?
The guy is 63. Ordinarily that's a prime age for a writer but if we're wishing he was as cool now as he was when he was 29 and published Zodiac, well, better people than him have gotten significantly less cool in the process of getting 30 years older.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

mewse posted:

Fog with malicious intent isn't a very interesting villain.
Agree but an interesting villain isn't a must. I read this after it got some praise in this thread and while I liked the ambition and really liked the way the wizards are somewhat well-intentioned but incredibly manipulative and enormously reactionary. For me the problem is that the book's fundamental idea seemed to be: there's these two brothers and they are related by blood yet--ohmygosh--they are also rivals and maybe even opposites, they could almost be friends but they have a tragic destiny that will lead them into strife! And in an amazing twist, the shadow brother is the good guy and the light brother is a dick! Mind! Blown! And like, okay, that's cool I guess, but then I really need these two characters to work for me. And...they didn't. The dialogue in particular let the whole thing down a lot, I felt. Two thirds of the way through the book I think the light brother gets mind-corrupted or whatever but it's like, well he acted like a robot already so it doesn't feel very different.

buffalo all day posted:

It feels like Serenity/Firefly - a gang of outcasts on a ship creating a surrogate family. Cozy and enjoyable.
I didn't finish this when I tried it, I like Firefly well enough but this is long, very long, on the "very different people coming together in a found family" thing and short on everything else. Firefly is really not very cozy. Clearly a lot of people wanted it to be and maybe selectively remember the handful of team dinners or whatever, and it's great that they've got books like this (and seemingly lots more now) to scratch that itch. You have to have the itch though to enjoy books so narrowly focused on it IMO.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
I see Tchaikovsky as having gotten back in touch with the 80s SF of David Brin, which otherwise has mostly been ignored in the last two decades, and while I liked the books of that era and it's mostly all to the good, he also brought back some of the weaknesses. The planet hopping space opera of The Final Architecture is great, the lengthy psychic ruminations on the metaphysics of the "unreal"--metaphysics made up on the fly by the author--brought it down a little bit for me. It's been many, many years since I've read Brin at this point (unfortunately much of his fiction has a smugness that thankfully Tchaikovsky entirely avoids) but I remember otherwise interesting books like Earth and Kiln People getting into these turgid endings involving intricate dissections of the story's metaphysics. I'm okay with intricate dissections of the human condition, even the human condition so distantly defined as "what if feudalism but with space ships", but when it's wading deep into the author's made up nonsense it feels pointless.

Anyway I really liked Final Architecture overall as I think I said a few weeks ago here and I know everyone's mileage will vary, but for me personally if you delete everything from Idris' viewpoint, not too much would be lost...

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of weird original books, has anyone read The Cusanus Game by Wolfgang Jeschke? It's German sci-fi/weird that I'm curious about :
Yes, albeit a long time ago. From what I remember it is sort of like Paolo Bacigalupi meets Ted Chiang? Except, uh, not as good as that makes it sound. I thought it was unfortunately fairly turgid, lots and lots of worldbuilding detail about its ravaged global warming + nuclear accident future, but I didn't find the characters compelling and the plot takes ages to get moving. And I love Chiang but his almost nihilistic metaphysical ruminations are easier to stomach in short stories. But it does read differently than most English-language SF.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
So I finally read Gideon the Ninth. I waited until now per my policy of waiting for series to finish (it's not finished but the last book is about to come out). I managed to avoid all knowledge of what it's about except for the famous summary "lesbian necromancers in space" so I wanted to warn/reassure people who are in a similar boat that at least in the first book, there's very little in space, the lesbian aspect is quite muted, and while yes, there is lots of necromancy, it is mostly just the aesthetic of the fantasy magic. I know nothing about the author and I know it's patronizing to say stuff like this, but it at least reads like the author hasn't known anyone who's died, so death and the raising of the dead is dealt with in a manner almost completely devoid of emotion or sentiment. That's just an observation, not a criticism; it's a fun fantasy book and I almost always prefer reading fun books to Important Books Grappling With Mortality.

The other thing I knew about it was it referenced memes, which sounded pretty dire, but this was also overstated. The prose and especially the main character's dialogue are written in a very contemporary idiom that feels out of place for a while but then I got used to it and it was fine.

I guess my version of the short summary would be "Fate/Stay Night but with an invented world, goth aesthetics, and much better pacing". If you don't know FSN specifically, it's an anime (or close enough, I know it's a game), and there's a strong anime influence here. I think that's the right frame of reference because although compared to most books, the Neal-Stephenson-Meets-Tumblr style seems jarring and too informal, but compared to anime, it's restrained and respectable. I enjoy some anime but also find it a bit much so this was right up my alley.

An alternative comparison is to Brandon Sanderson, who also constructs intricate secondary worlds and gives readers a lot of satisfaction via revelations about the setting and magic. Tamsyn Muir also is very good at structuring the mystery plot and making a compelling setting, drops the video gamey aspects of Sanderson while also paying a lot more attention to what characters are feeling and writing in a very polarizing style instead of with flat unadorned prose. I enjoy Sanderson but sometimes find him a bit bland so this was also right up my alley.

I think someone here recently compared her to Gene Wolfe which might have put it in my head to start this now. The first book exhibits few Wolfean characteristics; now that I am a little ways into the second book (which is also doing a lot more with "in space" and a little more with "lesbian" in the original summary) I am starting to see more, but we'll see. I love Wolfe but he's definitely too obscure so I love it when people borrow his tricks and use them in more readable books.

Anyway, tldr: a fun book that is unusual in covering all the literary bases pretty well: plot, principal characters, setting, style. My only real complaint was that for a lot of the book I struggled keeping the side characters straight but the dramatis personae at the front was unusually helpful. Looking forward to reading more.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
Now have read Harrow the Ninth. Sorry for the long and spoiler-bar-heavy post. I enjoyed this a lot, even more than the first (which I really did enjoy, various nitpicks notwithstanding). It does a good job feeling totally different from the first while still delivering a similarly structured story (it's mostly different necromancers in a different haunted house, to borrow someone upthread's description of the first book). I thought the writing was even better this time out, which is kind of unusual since a lot of debut authors spend years on the debut and then get deadline crunched on the sequel. A lot less distractingly contemporary than the first book and just more serious overall, which for me was a big improvement (though maybe not realistic given Gideon is "writing" most of it? Also boy is the dad joke obnoxious here in a way it wouldn't have been in the previous book, ugh)

This time it's overtly a puzzle box, a very well done puzzle box so far (sequels pending), and those are basically my favorite kind of story. I liked that even on a first read I had the chance to infer things before they were revealed (Ortus the First's real name and how it was being obscured by the search/replace, for instance, or the way the second person narration correctly identifies a sword's pommel, suggesting it was Gideon). Really glad I read this right after the first one. If I had read this when it first came out, I would have been stuck doing my A-AB-ABC-ABCD permuted reading of the series like I did for Terra Ignota.

I really loved the ambiguity of the ending. The Emperor seemed so laid back and chill, I assumed he would turn out to be a monster, but from what is revealed so far the ethics of killing him are very dubious given the collateral damage (pending further reveals, sure)

The whole AU scenes of the previous book thing is very, very anime and the justifying magic-babble wasn't very convincing but there's a reason anime does it, it was fun the get more time with the underused characters (especially since the lyctor characters weren't as fun to be around)

Gene Wolfe influence watch: stronger but still mild (identity games but--amazingly--no one has died without realizing it? Nonius and the Sleeper getting warped by poetry is starting to get there, but--so far--I don't think anyone has started accidentally becoming the thing they are pretending to be)

Three relatively minor nitpicks that many, many books also fall into but are pet peeves of mine:
  • This is another book like Tchaikovsky's Lords of Uncreation where you have to painstakingly learn a lot of made-up metaphysics so that the author can spin an ending out of all the rules they invented and put over the mantel. At least here there are more books coming that presumably will leverage this stuff and it wasn't as repetitive as Tchaikovsky's "unspace"
  • It's disappointing Gideon is Super Special. This was strongly indicated already by the Lyctor name collision and plague situation established in the last book but...meh. Bleh.
  • Also, the older characters are ten thousand loving years old. Okay, but do they act like they are? Well...actually with the Emperor I can maybe kind of see it! Bravo! The Emperor character is a really cool conception in general. Great. But the other Lyctors? Bleh. Character-wise, I feel like you could make them 35-40 and the Emperor about 60 and their behavior would make a lot more sense to me (yes I know it breaks other parts of the setting). When I was a teenager I was into these eternal love stories and people being emotionally fragile about something that went down a millennia ago but now I am older, had something excruciating happen in my personal life, got real depressed, and then...recovered? Not 100% but like, 98%? After about five years it started to feel like it happened to someone else...ten thousand years from now? All right, it wasn't as bad as what happened to these people, and maybe these particular people are just permanently traumatized in some way that thank God I'm not, but to sell that I probably need to know more about them. Despite the book being pretty long we never really get enough to see how the Lyctors spend their days, what their hopes and dreams are (or were), and what motivates them besides being KJ Parker vengeance machines. And before you say it sure I may well change my mind about this after reading another book or two, sure.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
As for my inflammatory statement earlier about death and loss, I should have expressed myself better. First, I was just talking based on Gideon the Ninth, obviously, and not the sequels. I do appreciate that Harrow the Ninth pays a lot more attention to death and loss both in big ways and in some smaller ways and that Gideon the Ninth was obviously written to set these up, so I'm sorry I said anything about the author. That was dumb. But the underlying feeling I was trying and failing to talk about before is still there for me, so at the risk of further angering people, let me try one more time.

As I've gotten older I've become just a tiny bit uncomfortable with the way, to take a famous example, Star Wars has a bunch of pilot extras get killed to amp up the tension and therefore the heroism of its lead character and then, well, literally leaves them for dead and never bothers to mention they existed. Even the old EU novels mostly couldn't muster much empathy for those pilots, they were too busy getting more extras in position to get dramatically killed around the protagonists.

Like other nitpicks in my last post, this is something tons of fiction does so it's silly to hold it against anyone, but since Gideon the Ninth felt like it was using necromancy for plot twists and window dressing, I thought about it more than usual. I haven't (but I'm sure someone on the Internet has) counted how many skeletons--remains of a human being who lived and loved and feared and died--are conjured in the book only to get crushed, broken, obliterated, or just abandoned a few seconds later. Hundreds? Maybe a thousand? Several of you pointed out the cavalier handling of these things makes sense given the setting and yes, I totally believe that Harrow doesn't give two shits about these skeletons, who they were, and what their death and their extremely short and usually dumb resurrection means, if anything. But I don't live in that world, I live in this one. And look, I really enjoyed the book, so I guess I don't really give two shits about all these dead extras either. But I kind of wish I did.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Lex Talionis posted:

the cavalier handling of these things
I honest to god was so busy trying to write a Serious Post that I did not notice this egregious pun until I hit submit but obviously this could not be more appropriate for a Locked Tomb-related discussion so I'm leaving it

(I also didn't notice I posted them into the wrong thread, gah)

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Benagain posted:

okay I forget if people already recommended but you should check out The March North by Graydon Saunders because it's one of the very few books I've read where this doesn't happen, lots of people die but the effects of it are front and center in both the plot and characterization of the survivors.
People have already moved on to gender coding Murderbot but thanks for the rec, I actually read it a few months ago due to the discussions in this thread. Maybe more than any other book, I have this thread's relentless self-promotion to thank for reading it because hot drat it was a pain to get on my Kindle.

But anyway, yes, you're right, I wouldn't have thought of it in these terms but it is a great example of a story that reckons with the effects of having extras die. It's a bit obscured due to the general unforgiving obscurity of the whole thing, but it's definitely there.

Since then I have read the second Commonweal book and my general review of the series so far is that it reads like it comes from a somewhat distant alternate universe and is in dialogue with a ton of books in a fairly different fantasy genre that don't exist in our timeline. It's difficult to say anything with confidence but we can surmise that in this other timeline, perhaps television was never invented and so writers took to the word processor's convenience without any conception of "pacing" a story (note there's no fantasy equivalent to television in the Commonweal despite its many other similarities to modern life). Perhaps authors in that timeline use crude, sub-ChatGPT AI assistance when writing, so that "iterate through each character in the scene for a non-verbal reaction to each line of dialogue" has become a normal convention. How did the books cross into our timeline? It seems that Glen Cook's Black Company crossed into theirs, so maybe these coming back here restored the balance.

Anyway self-effacing humor aside, "reads like nothing else" is overall a good thing and I do intend to read the rest soon.

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

sebmojo posted:

picked up ancillary justice because it was cheap in a pile and... it's fine? feels a little assembled out of familiar influences, the cold planet from le guin, the ship minds from banks, the tense conversations from cherryh, bits of the plot from traveller campaign secret of the ancients. i slurped it up in a day and it was pleasant enough to read but didn't really leave much trace when i was done. Are the sequels more interesting?
The first was popular precisely because it did a good job with so many different fun tropes, lots of people found something they liked. The second dials the Cherryh influence way up (Foreigner in particular) and the other influences down so appeals to a much narrower set of readers. I remember the third as being more like the second than the first, but I don't remember anything about it (never a good sign) other than I felt like it didn't do enough to address the world-historical problems posed in the first to satisfy me (I have similar problems with Cherryh, e.g. Regenesis)

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

pradmer posted:

The Sword of Kaigen by ML Wang - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNWKF2M/
I think I've mentioned this in the thread before, but this book has absolutely no business being any good. Its magic system is Avatar: The Last Airbender with only a few of the serial numbers taped over, massive portions of the narrative are spent on what I think is Naruto stuff (I haven't actually seen any Naruto but, you know, fetishizing martial arts and trying to learn the ultimate techniques and be the very best, blah blah), and several important and very serious older characters keep indirectly referring to their college days when they would go out at night as masked superheroes (I assume this craziness was some earlier book or something). Also I will spoiler this because I can't remember if it's a spoiler or not but the overall plot concerns the noble Japanese getting sneak attacked by perfidious enemies from North America and...look WW2 was a long time ago but...really?

BUT while reading with lots of eye rolling (and some guilty pleasure too, I really liked A:TLA and its magic system is fun, and I went through a martial arts phase as a teenager) I was blindsided by an out-of-nowhere left turn into an examination of grief and loss that I found far more emotionally affecting than 99% of what I get from far more respectable and critically acclaimed spaceships and wizards books. It's hard to recommend, both because you have to wade through a lot of other stuff to get to it, and because any more clear articulation of it would be a big spoiler, but hey, it's on sale, if this sounds at all intriguing why not give it a try?

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
2023 reading (SF/F only):

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - Didn't read this for a long time since it didn't seem like my kind of thing. I was right. Very well-written but meh.

Thessaly series by Jo Walton - Read the first two years ago, came back, re-read those, and finished the third. To me the series peaks about 80% of the way through the first book; the rest is interesting but not nearly as thought-provoking.

Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts - Read two-thirds after the talk on this thread but gave up. Some interesting things but couldn't get on with the way it's written and the way the characters are handled.

Inda Series by Sherwood Smith - Another series I hadn't finished previously; twice in the past I'd read the first three, now I read all four. Weird series, starts out with military school, then Ender's Game meets Sid Meier's Pirates!, then the big military campaigns and palace intrigue of epic fantasy but it gets increasingly disinterested in that stuff in favor of slowly disentangling the big cast's complicated relationships and putting them to rights. Glad I finally finished it. Very underrated, I think a lot of people struggle with the avalanche of names and terms at the beginning.

Empire of Exiles by Erin M Evans - Cozy epic fantasy murder mystery. Very competent debut novel, though I don't really think cozy and murder go together and I'm not really into cozy in any case.

The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jiminez - Incredible and innovative writing in service of a slightly silly plot. Thematically confused IMO but man this is amazing at what it does well. Huge improvement from the author's first novel.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - Sort of SF/F adjacent. Has its moments but I thought it was overrated.

Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh - I liked this when I read it two decades ago and hadn't read much Cherryh. Hasn't really held up; despite the Hugo award, I think this is in the bottom third of Cherryh's science fiction output at best.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro - Absolutely amazing character writing, wish it was doing something more interesting than a story/world that combined amounts to a simple metaphor.

Empire of Silence by Christopher Rucchio - Very lightly remixes and combines a bunch of much better books (e.g. Dune, Book of the New Sun, etc.) into a worse book. An author to watch when they are older and (hopefully) better and more original.

The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch - "Inception meets True Detective". Yes but do these things go together? As with the actual Inception, kind of falls apart if you think about it too much. If you like cosmic horror you'll probably like it better than I did. Maybe I dislike this more than it deserves because I keep getting this title confused with The Gone-away World, which I loved.

Final Architecture trilogy by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Fun SF. Not as good as his Children books but that's a very high bar. Really drives home how rare it is to see space opera done well. Weird that David Brin was so popular in the late 80s yet these days only Tchaikovsky seems influenced by him. The demand still seems to be there.

The March North by Graydon Saunders - Fascinating world, fun Glen Cook-influenced military fantasy, and some really bizarre authorial choices. Well worth the effort to get it.

The Black Company by Glen Cook - Reread this to compare against the previous. My opinion hasn't changed from 15 years ago: you can see why this was amazing at the time, but it tries to have its cake and eat it too. Are these bad guys or not? Also, actual mercenaries are trying to get rich off loot and retire. No idea why these guys fight, the narrator doesn't seem to know either. Surprising amount of "found family" in here so maybe it was ahead of its time. This is one where the influenced book (March North) improves on the original in most respects.

The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell - Really enjoyed the historical fiction elements and the way the druids are depicted. Don't like Arthur stories much and didn't like Arthur here either and that's really the point, so...oh well. Maybe I'll try one of his non-Arthuriana series in 2024.

A Succession of Bad Days by Graydon Saunders - The military fantasy is gone, we're going to wizard school instead. Wizard school with a huge amount of wish fulfillment, but the wishes being fulfilled aren't the usual ("the kids at school are mean to me even though I'm smarter", "I am a horny man", etc.), it's the wishes of a construction worker who dreams of lifting and digging without hurting his back. Very long, bizarre writing tics, terrible pacing, no real ending to speak of. Glad I read it.

The Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky - Very fun fantasy/science fiction dichotomy and mental health material kind of wasted in a boring, over-simple story. Yes it's a novella, but with a bit more effort this feels like it could have been one for the ages. Still worth reading.

Locked Tomb series - Thought the last one was coming out so read these three. Oops. Still, probably enjoyed these more than anything else this year. If you're on the fence, don't be put off by the over the top fans or "lesbian necromancers in space", it's a Sanderson-ish "how does the world work?" mystery with a lot more attention to characters and some really cool literary pyrotechnics. Some rough patches of writing in the first book but gets stronger as it goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

Basically, I'm looking for books that don't exist.
Welcome to the Quest for Really Good Books. There are no easy answers and everyone in this thread is looking for slightly different things, but at least we're all on the same journey.

It's hard to know for sure what to recommend without hearing more about what you like, not just what you don't like, but some things that came to mind:
  • The Light Brigade by Kameron Hurley. Left-wing take on milSF. Her earlier God's War and its two sequels are at least military-adjacent and even better.
  • Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. A lot else going on in here but a different take on empire and soldiers perhaps.
  • Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. I guess start with Cordelia's Honor (personally it didn't click for me until Warrior's Apprentice. Starts out as military SF but fades into other subgenres.
Probably not an accident these authors taking milSF in different directions are women. Since you mentioned Black representation, these aren't milSF but let's add some Black women in there with The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin and Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor.