Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have a cart from book outlet filled with a bunch of speculative fiction and looking for thoughts on the following before I click buy. Anything stand out as particularly high or low quality?

Summerland by Hannu Rajaniemi

Hearts of Oak by Eddie Robson

The City in the Middle of the Night by Charlie Jane Anders

The Only Harmless Great Thing by Brooke Bolander

The Brotherhood of the Wheel by R.S. Belcher (this one seems the most dubious to me... I’m ok with trashy, but I have my limits)

Waste Tide by Quen Qiufan

Among Others by Jo Walton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I assume Richard Morgan, who in addition to whatever political leanings he may have also has some transphobic ones. I’ve got a stack of his books in my giveaway pile.

Anyway while looking for anarchist sci-fi I came across this website. Oddly specific.

https://www.anarchysf.com/

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Basically everything by Guy Gavriel Kay (I should read any of this tbh)

Fionovar Tapestry, read as a whole in that big blue edition they put out, was one of my favorite books as a teen. My brother, who dislikes fantasy, loved it too.

I haven’t read it in a decade and am kind of worried it won’t hold up.

I used to read every GGK book that came out, but I haven’t read anything of his since Under Heaven. I need to catch up…

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

boy with a foreword like that i bet googling and reading that isn't going to be an incredible mistake

Reviews of it seem pretty positive, not being weird pedo apologia.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’ve been picking up books in the Tor essentials imprint lately and just finished The Dragon Waiting by John Ford. A bit clunky at times but it was a real enjoyable alt history / fantasy read. Ford asks a lot of his readers, and it feels like this is one that would really hold up well to a reread.

It also feels like the kind of thing that in a lesser, or at least different, author would turn into a series.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read some of the first book maybe a year ago and yeah those books do not hold up...

But there's a local used bookstore that has soooo many of them and I just want to buy them for nostalgia purposes. Book collecting is brainworms for me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I won an auction for a ton of old sci-fi, fantasy, alt history, and military thriller books. The lot I really wanted was full of Wheel of Time (I wanted to switch from hardcover to ppb, with the original ppbs if possible) and Jack Whyte books, but I ended up losing it at the last minute. Instead, I got a lot of... random stuff. I started looking book names up, but I'm really excited to actually dig in and see what's there. A lot of Harry Turtledove. My guess is I'll keep maybe a third of it, donate a quarter immediately, and use the rest to stock up a little library I plan to put up this spring.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for this. I loved the hell out of the first TV movies when they first came out, but haven’t seen them in two decades, and never saw the later ones.

I’m halfway through the first one, and yeah, it rules.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought books 2 and 3 in that series a while back but finally picked up The Traitor yesterday and have burned through it today. It’s super good, nice drat work GB. I’m almost done and had to tear myself away. Looking forward to finishing it tonight and moving on to the second one shortly.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't think I have ever once been convinced to buy a book based on review quotes, though I think there have been a few times where I have been warned off a book based on who they get pull quotes from. And yeah the first chapter in the item description is idiotic. I don't understand putting either of those before the blurb, it's usually the blurb that pushes me over the edge into buying a book if I'm on the fence. I can understand including that other poo poo for SEO reasons or whatever, but I don't understand why it's put first.

I’ve definitely bought books off of pull quotes from authors I like. If it’s a problem I ignore pull quotes from that author in the future, but generally it’s been effective for finding new stuff when I’m just randomly browsing. Particularly in fantasy and sci fi.

Can’t imagine caring about review site / publication pull quotes though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SimonChris posted:

https://amazingstories.com/2023/06/every-quiver-of-each-of-them-by-simon-christiansen-free-story/

I have a story out on* Amazing Stories, so I thought I would share it :).

* Not in Amazing Stories since the magazine is on hiatus, but it is on their website. I'll take it.

I read this. It’s an interesting idea and I’d be curious to see it taken further.

e: I also read Gateway by Pohl earlier this week. Fuuuuck that protagonist. Also the therapy framing story didn’t work for me. I have the third Heechee book on my bookcase but I tossed both of them into the giveaway bin. Too bad, I liked the concept of the world.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 4, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lex Talionis posted:

Though looking back I did come up with Steph Swainston as one of the suggestions.

Apropos of nothing, but I am reorganizing my library and came across the Castle Omnibus and goddamn I remember loving that book, and never hearing anyone say a word about it. I wonder if it holds up to a reread.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Were there more than three books? I remember the first two being decent and the third one basically going nowhere.

The omnibus has 1-3, and then there’s a prequel called Above the Snowline which I picked up but never finished. And apparently one more called Fair Rebel that came out fairly recently.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished CJ Cherryh’s The Dreamstone yesterday. It’s the first of her books that I’ve read, and I really enjoyed it. Very flowery language, felt like reading a Celtic myth or something. I also picked up her book Foreigner, and am excited to start in on that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

I was sent this excerpt from Brian Herbert and Kevin J Andersons new Princess of Dune book. Look I know you guys rag on Andersons writing a lot but I think he’s on to something here.

He’s jus’ a li’l ol’ kid

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is Carrion Comfort science fiction or fantasy? I dunno. I thought it was real loving good though. Definitely makes me want to read more Simmons.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

What else would you recommend for S&S comics? I have no real awareness of what's out there and I think I've been missing out, I love the Elric and Fafhrd/Grey Mouser books, and I really enjoyed a lot of the Conan stories, plus I'm reading a bunch of Clark Ashton Smith and the Zothique stuff in particular has a lot of that kind of vibe, I feel. I'd love to see that sort of stuff in comic form.

Basically every Conan comic starting with the original Marvel run is good. Some of the highest hit rate of any comics property. Everything from old Marvel to new Marvel, to the Dark Horse run, to public domain based European stories (published by Titan in NA in the last few years).

Jim Zub (guy writing Conan right now) wrote Skullkickers which is a fun S&S comic.

There are Fafhrd/Grey Mouser comics by Mignola worth grabbing. Also by others, though Mignola / Chaykin are the standout.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A couple months ago I leant my buddy The Traitor Baru Cormorant. He finally got around the reading it. His texts last night:

In the final pages now
HOLY MOTHERFUCKING gently caress
Still have like 10’pages to go
Fuuuuuuuck me
I am not happy
But I was wondering how did they continue this after ….. and then HOLY poo poo
I’m still in shock

And then today

HOLY MUTHER loving gently caress
THAT THING
loving ENDING
I HATE THAT BOOK
I should have stopped reading on episode 29
Those last two chapters hosed me up
Thanks for the rec

He’s keeping the book so his partner can read it too. So uh, it was a hit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hated Victorian literature in school but loved Strange & Norrell.

I should probably read some Victorian fiction as an adult.

I’ve been reading lots of random SF lately, and really liked this story (Ginungagap) from a Nebula anthology: https://www.baen.com/Chapters/1596061781/1596061781___3.htm

It’s a first contact / exploration story, about souls and cloning, kind of.

It’s by Michael Swanwick, who I had never even heard of but is definitely on my radar now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That seems way up my alley. Will keep my eyes out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Burned through a couple older SF books the last few days. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester goes like a mile a minute and deals in Big Ideas. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and unlike the last book I read with a terrible protagonist (Gateway) this one didn’t bother me as much probably because he was so clearly not a real person but rather a vehicle for Bester to get his ideas to the reader. I also thought the world was really cool, Bester did a good job explaining how jaunting would completely flip society on its head and because of that it felt pretty modern.

After finishing it last night I picked up Le Guin’s Planet of Exile and got through it in a pretty quick sitting. It’s got some basic racism allegory stuff but it’s also just a tight little romance with just enough SF to be interesting. I didn’t realize that she was building the Hainish Cycle world up so early in her career, I thought it was like a retcon thing or something like Asimov did.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This genre based book club podcast I listen to does a list of BIPOC authors for their different genres. They’ve done a bunch of SF sub genres. They don’t call out which group each author represents though so you’d need a dig a bit.

https://bookclub4m.tumblr.com/booklists

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In terms of folks I haven’t read beyond maybe a short story or two, there’s lots (Heinlein, Brin, Bear, Zelazny, Bujold, Delany, Vance, Moorcock, Vinge, Wolfe, Brunner, Watts). And that’s just looking at my shelf which probably has 100 books by those authors. There’s simply too many books.

And lots of great authors I’ve only read maybe one thing. Bradbury, the Sturgatsky brothers, Wurts, Poul Anderson, Pohl, Lieber…

I think I’m going to knock about Delany tonight though. Ballad of Beta-2 is real short.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ballad of Beta 2 was a pretty good first contact story. Nothing earth shattering. It’s very short, a novella I’m surprised was published as the sole story in the paperback I have it in. Still curious to read Delany’s more well regarded books.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read that Beowulf translation to my kids, I love it. It just sounds so good out loud.

The Seamus Heaney one is also great and the first way I experienced Beowulf, but you can just do what I do and own both. Or more if you want. Lots of choices.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This was a year of getting back into reading in a much bigger way. Including graphic novels and manga collections I’ll top 60 books this year, prose will be around 45 by Sunday. A lot of that was driven by a renewed interest in science fiction, especially vintage SF.

I like the idea of ranked lists. Here’s my top ten sci-fi/fantasy that I read this year. Honourable mentions to go City by Simak, the early Hainish cycle books by Le Guin, and CJ Cheryh’s Dreamstone. Dishonourable mention to Gateway. Interesting ideas, just couldn’t stand sitting with that character after the domestic violence turn.

10. Ginungagap by Michael Swanwick (Nebula Award stories 16).
This one comes in at number 10 because it’s one story from a collection, and the rest of the collection is just ok. This one story, which is a first contact story with interesting traversal science, is great though, and makes me want to read a lot more of Swanwick’s work. Seems like a forgotten gem of the 80s-00s.

9. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
Mostly this surprised me by how readable it was. ERB is racist as hell, as was the style of the time, but he writes a compelling and fast moving adventure yarn. This happens and then this happens and then this happens but it all hangs together really well.

8. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K Dick
I liked it, but I think I expected more… and also less of the weird religious stuff. I need to read a lot more PKD and get a better handle on where he’s coming from.

7. The Time Machine by HG Wells
A classic that I had never read. I like Wells quite a bit, The Island of Dr Moreau rates really highly for me. This one was pretty good too, though it resembles A Princess of Mars in that the plot kind of just moves forward (and the racist undertones, a bit more muted here but still very present). I’m sure there’s a well established throughline between Wells and ERB, but even without looking that up at all you can kind of sense it. I have a nicely illustrated version of War of the Worlds that I’ll get to next year.

6. Extremes: A Retrieval Artist Novel by Kathryn K Rusch
I read a short story by KKR in an Asimov magazine I picked up earlier this year and it was pretty good. Then I dug through a lot of sci-fi I won in an auction and found a stack of these Retrieval Artist novels she wrote. They’re about a private investigator on the moon. This one deals with a biological weapons attack. It’s a fast grimy read in the tradition of noir mysteries, but has a nice sci fi twist. I have more of these I’ll get to next year.

5. The Shadow Rising & The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan
Late summer when the new WOT tv season hit I lost myself in books 4 and 5. One day I’ll get to 6. Once I start I find it so easy to just spend hours reading these, but actually starting is always a challenge.

4. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
Wow, this hit me like a brick. It feels like it could have been written this year, and speaks to the timelessness of fiction. Like an anti Ayn Rand, Bester explores the Individual Man but cuts out everything that doesn’t need to be in the text. CW for a pos rapist main character (the writing itself is sparse and does not describe the event. I read that he was a pos but the rape scene happened without me even realizing that’s what it was until later in the book when the event is referenced.)

3. Planetes Vol 1-4 by Makoto Yukimura
I picked up the two book omnibus edition of this at a St Vincent de Paul charity shop for like 2$ and didn’t expect anything. The first volume starts off as a slice of life style sci-fi manga about a group of garbage collectors in space. It’s good. As the book goes on though it shifts gears and becomes about family and love and duty and purpose and by the end it was one of the most impactful and beautiful books I had read all year.

2. Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons
My buddy recommended this to me and I happened to already have it on my shelf from a random pickup a couple years ago, so I took the plunge. Man this books goes places. Vampire nazi horror places. Extremely compelling.

1. Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky Brothers
I travelled to a friend’s wedding a couple months ago and the night before, while my wife was luxuriating in the big hotel bath, I burned through this book. Like The Stars My Destination, this feels like it could have been written this year. Beautifully paced, trusting in the reader to fill in the gaps and made the connections themselves. I’m so curious to watch Stalker now. That’s something I’d like to get to before the end of the year. I also NEED to read more of these guys.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bilirubin posted:

Mercerism, and the overall human societal relationship to empathy (come late of course, since the animals are all gone now), and how the synthetic animals were treated in contrast with the replicants, which also kinda puts a lie to that societal relationship to empathy, is the central point of that book, and the part that most resonated with me. Unfortunately it was basically unfilmable and I think Ridley Scott made the right choice to cut it out IMO

Oh I agree, I think it’s the core of the story. I just didn’t realize it would be going into it. I think I prefer blade runner as a story, though obviously different mediums make it tough to compare.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fritz posted:

Qouzl, also by Alan Dean Foster, is incredibly furry.

I read this at a formative age and I’m shocked I didn’t become a furry.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Whirling posted:

then again my sheer displeasure at baru's continued existence after what she did in the first book is skewing my perceptions

Love being reminded of that ending though. I’m not sure I can think of a more memorable ending to a fantasy book.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked up some old paperbacks of Patricia A McKillip’s Riddle Master of Hed trilogy a few weeks back. It’s three short books that basically need to be read together, released in the mid 70s.

So far I’ve read books 1 and 2, and both were great. It does the whole chosen one thing but has a different spin on it. The prose is spare but pretty good, way more competent than works that have remained in the public consciousness since then. She also does a great job building this increasingly fantastical world, hinting at things but not getting bogged down in the details.

The last year or two I’ve been reading a fair amount of older sff, and this is the top of the pile in terms of things I’ve never seen recommended by anyone. Going to read book 3 shortly, and unless it drops off a cliff this is a strong recommend from me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Selachian posted:

The whole series is very much worth reading; I don't think I've ever read a bad McKillip.

I never see her stuff in used bookstores but she’s absolutely on my watchlist now, and I’ll probably end up buying a bunch of her stuff new. It’s really good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mikojan posted:

I was told to avoid the tangential books at all cost because of the lousy writing, should I reconsider? If so, do I skip anything in the chronology?

Also, I've seen some lore videos on the Dune background, so I have at least some notion of the jihad and the various factions.

Read them all and post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I never read his fiction as a kid but he wrote a book about writing that I absolutely adored. Eventually I read Ender’s Game and I thought it was fine but it didn’t stick with me.