Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Mister Kingdom posted:

I just started the Culture series. I'm about a quarter of the way into Consider Phlebas and so far, so good.

How does the rest of the saga compare?

I hated Phlebas; the next two are great. The Culture books are one of the few times I'd recommend against publication order.

But I'm glad you like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The attack helicopter story is still available on the wayback machine.

I reckon it's pretty good.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If I remember right it was a ten-book series. Eleven if you count the 19th-century prequel.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Baru 3's out in June, read all about it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

quantumfoam posted:

Peter Watts, master of self-infection, has views on the COVID-19/Coronavirus outbreak:
https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=9224

Kim Stanley Robinson turns 68 in 10 days.
Despite my best efforts still bouncing off KSR's work hard. On the other hand, thanks to my recent KSR read attempt, re-stumbled across Alice B. Sheldon's (pen-name James Triptree Jr) "The Only Neat Thing to Do" novella and kind of confused/sad it hasn't been included in more scifi anthologies. 'TONTTD' would have fit nicely inside Neil Clarke's 2018 scifi anthology "The Final Frontier".

Aurora was the book that got me into the right headspace to like KSR's books, always bounced off them before that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Blindright

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Sci-fi Fantasy Megathread: part 3 of a 4-volume trilogy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No, no; someone referring to a 400-page book as a "novella" is funny

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

space uncle posted:

It doesn’t quite stick the landing but wow I enjoyed it much better than 2312, which was fun but rather light.

Oof

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How bout Tau-Indic heredity?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I love the implication that Acevedo’s only useful because all the scans made later know what happens to uploads, and try to refuse to work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Bear Sleuth posted:

I like fantasy because anything can happen. In sci-fi anything can happen as long as its a robot.

On a related note, I'm rereading the Terra Ignota books, in preparation for the last one coming out (would have timed it perfectly, too, but it got delayed til September a couple weeks ago). I love their willingness to just go "Yeah, Bridger's a miracle, some sort of god must therefore exist", and have the characters deal with that.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Copernic posted:

This story asked too much of the reader. Using a lovely, transphobic meme as the title can only be justified by reclamation and transformation. And that means that it must be from a member of the community. And that is assuming reclaiming bigoted memes is a worthwhile use of time --- I'm sympathetic to people who find the goal of repurposing toxic internet trash to be a joke.

If "reading the story" is asking too much of you, then you are by definition not a reader

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The first two chapters of Ada Palmer's Perhaps the Stars are up as a preview.

Edit: the future historians argue whether the First World War ended in 1945 or 1989

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 6, 2021

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I defended a Walled City, and now my feet have holes in them! Thousands of tiny bloodless holes! Look at this closeup!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's a spin on that most famous of post-revolutionary formula-polemics, The Peerless Knave

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Danhenge posted:

The finale to Ada Palmer's series, Perhaps the Stars, is quite a beast. It's a hard thing to talk about because some of the references in it are lost on me, and I also don't want to spoil anything.

The beginning is pretty slow, like most of them, but I think the whole of it is pretty brilliant. If you've enjoyed her other books, I think you should persevere to the end with this one. It picks up in various ways at about 1/5 of the way through and then really picks up steam at the halfway point. I don't think that Palmer had the whole thing planned out in totality when she started writing, but it's hard to imagine that she didn't know the general direction of where she was headed from the very beginning. So in considering how she travelled from where things start in Too Like the Lightning to the end of Perhaps the Stars, it takes a really singular mind to imagine and encompass the whole thing, even in the sketchiest outline to begin with.

Yeah I love it. I'm only a bit of the way through - just finished the chapter detailing Mycroft's Odyssey - and it's just so rich.

^^^ I also reread the first three this year, you pick up so much the second time around. Like when I saw the 7-10 lists, instead of an ungraspable grid of names and titles, I could actually see the weird details that the characters could see (like goddamn Cookie being placed so highly).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

General Battuta posted:

What’s a phi delt

A full hand of goddamn aces

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I watched the movie RRR: Rise Roar Revolt the other night and I tell ya, I wasn't expecting the big traitor-Baru twist halfway through

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Sailor Viy posted:

Just finished reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang. I assume it won't be a surprise to this thread if I say it was excellent, but can I get recommendations of other single-author short story collections? Could be any brand of SF or fantasy, but what I really liked about this one was the way all the stories reflected a singular voice and set of themes, rather than just a grab bag of "here's some stuff I wrote".

I read David Brin's Otherness last Christmas, it was quite good. A mix of short stories and essays (which I could take or leave, but the stories were worthwhile). I had this recurrent feeling of "Oh, that's where Peter Watts was coming from", though a good deal less nihilistic.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's best not to think about Madame's pride in raising "an alien"

I was very charmed by the creation of the new nation-strat, Kith, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I stopped reading Thomas Covenant #1 because the copy I got from the library was just missing about 80 pages. Not torn out or anything, the pagecount and narrative just jumped. Honestly I wasn't getting much out of it, that lovely printer did me a favour.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
No, sister, they expect one of us in the ocean

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
He has some other good books, but they're all long as hell. Anathem is a great spec-fic about the like essence of science and knowledge, as well as a first-contact story. I remember liking Cryptonomicon, but it's been like 15 years at this point so who knows. The Baroque cycle is good as hell, this giant romp across the Early Modern world, and the birth of modern science, economics, and colonialism, but they're also collectively about 2500 pages.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

anilEhilated posted:

Do the sequels to Too Like the Lightning ever get less horny? It was really fun for the first part with the world and intrigue and then it all turned into a sex philosophy cult thing and I noped out pretty quick.

The second one is tremendously horny, and then the 3rd/4th hardly at all.

I feel like it works? It's one of the things that makes that world so compelling to me, the fact that people are generally sexually liberated but also happen to be kinda prudes without realising it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
His one-off book Pastwatch is worth a read. Maybe borrow a copy from a friend, though.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Childhood's End is majorly YA

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
…a threat unlike any they have faced before…

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Horizon Burning posted:

i think even tamsyn muir herself has mentioned how that quote about lesbian necromancers in space is really not accurate to the novel

which would've been nice to know before i bought it but hey whatever

They weren’t even Greek

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I enjoyed Tain Shir's entry in the dramatis personae for Tyrant Baru

But yeah they're rarely necessary

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Big Ben is a planet, a gas giant without a star that happens to be not-that-far from our solar system. Or maybe it technically orbits the sun, but at such an extreme distance and angle it hasn’t been discovered yet, I forget. Rorschach is “mining” it, using Ben’s resources to build itself up from something tiny to its present size. I forget why Ben came up on their radar, but Theseus’s original mission was a suspicious asteroid that entered the solar system. It self-destructed, and so they got the new mission while the crew were all on ice.

Edit:
https://vimeo.com/297931965
I've had a hi-res version of the shot at 00:25 as my desktop background for like eight years now.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 13, 2022

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
He put in a lovely little poem, Larkin I think it was

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe it's for the best, I'm halfway through Matter right now anyway

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I cannot remember the name of a single poster ITT who liked something I thought was bad.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Aurora's great - in fact, it's the book that got me into KSR after bouncing off a couple of his others.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Xate stood against me when I was drunk and I stood against her when she was crazy, and now, sir, we stand by each other always"

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

Kim Stanley Robinson's Aurora

Sadly, this is also where you end with generation-ship stories.

Ken McLeod's Learning the World is pretty decent. It's a first-contact story, jumping between the alien planet and the approaching generation-ship.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
LitEGD

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I've got a hardcover of Blindsight + Echopraxia and you could deffo use that thing as a weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

zoux posted:

I used to think that two people taking over the world via posting was a huge miss, turns out OSC nailed that one.

Yeah I thought the future part in Cloud Atlas where they just call movies "disneys" was silly and anachronistic, whoops.