Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw. We'll meet aliens in a couple decades or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'll take a lockmart salary if anyone's offering

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The librevox recording of the ending of Faust Pt.1 is the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I always wished there was a Rama style game where you just walked around and explored a mysterious alien location without understanding any of it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Dunsany
Alfred Bester

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pirate it all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Time spent reading wot is time you could be spending reading Conan. Consider that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Read them all. Don't be a quitter

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Everything's genre until someone decides it's too good to be genre. Vonnegut is a fantastic writer though. More people should read mother night and breakfast of champions

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Including urth?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carrier posted:

Not yet, still need to get my hands on a copy. Is it that necessary? As a matter of fact, are the short sun/long sun books good?

It's a full sequel that makes what is very vague explicit while adding a whole lot more questions. Long and Short sun are fantastic, quite a few people will tell you Short sun is the best of the whole Solar Cycle, I don't know if I'll go that far, but I lean that way. The Long/Short sun is in form a sort of examination of different genres e.g Detective Fiction, Crime Fiction, Revolutionary Fiction, Natural disaster fiction, an Odyssey like journey, a disastrous expedition. Compared to New Sun being a sort of biblical project, it's also written in a very different style with each of the hundreds of characters talking in distinctive speech and written with some slang but a lot less archaic words. Silk is also just a huge breath of fresh air after dealing with the interesting but still weird as hell Severian. Silk just seems like a really nice dude who I want to hang out with and die in the service of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

I can't stand what I've read of long sun fwiw, it's just endless scenes of people speculating about what the plot might be. I really fall off Wolfe after Soldier of arete, though that's not a common view so take it with a grain of salt.

How far did you get into it? By the third novel poo poo is happening so fast that I was really hoping they'd pump the breaks for a minute so I could catch up

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His prose is bad

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Star wars

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twitter being dumb as hell I'm shocked to be honest.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Your going to need to reread botns anyways so reading it the first time as a standard story is not that bad an idea.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nabokov.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Knowing nothing about Coventry of Tom, I can say for certain Severian was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you want, the Long Sun cycle doesn't spoil anything for New Sun and it's principal character Silk is maybe the nicest character in any book I've met. Dude really with his whole heart just wants people to live their best lives and be happy. Dude spends most his time trying to impress wisdom on the younger generations, help out the destitute of his quarter even the church non attendees, and frying tomatoes.

Short Sun is more connected and shouldn't be read without New Sun and Urth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Why'd you post a can of Pringles?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

What are some good examples where the protagonist/point of view character isn't quite honest with the audience? I did enjoy that stuff in the throne of glass novels. The main character did some convoluted plans, which seem reasonable at first glance. But in the relevant moment it turns out that her specific approach also has three other positive side effects.

Pale Fire. Lolita

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone sleeping on Wolfe's short stories should grab that. ¢99 is a drat steal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ccs posted:

The new lord of the rings tv series had me revisiting that series. While i still don't enjoy it as much as more cynical fantasy like The First Law, I've noticed the main difference between it and the newest series influenced by Song of Ice and Fire are the latter has a lot of "twists", where things generally get worse for our characters. This makes it very easy to spoil. The former has a lot of "gently caress yeah, the people are coming together to fight for a common cause! (with a little bit of prodding from the supernatural)". And that's refreshing. Just the idea that humans can be noble is lost in a most modern fantasy.

It's really a larger problem with literature and all of media, the idea of the death of sincerity and the rise of irony. It's much harder to make something with purely noble intentions when the average viewer or reader is in the mindframe to mock anything that isn't at least somewhat tongue and cheek.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The worst part of reading a Wolfe novel is seeing Gaiman's quotes plastered all over it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

a computing pun posted:

the boundary between children's lit and YA is: in YA the characters are allowed to die messily.
the boundary between YA and adult is: in adult fiction the characters are allowed to say "gently caress" more than once per book, and to say "titties" without using a weirdass fantasy substitute word like "glorgs".

Narnia is YA?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Narnia good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hitler?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

a desert called peace by tom kratman opens with space 9/11 but with blimps, and is 148.8% fascism by wordcount

do not actually read it and if you do, pirate it, don't even encourage libraries to stock a copy

I'm getting mixed messages. You say not to read it than use the phrase 9/11 with blimps?!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

neongrey posted:

a lovely alt history where after 9/11 the world chooses to outlaw airplanes and all air travel is now carried out by blimp

You mean objectively superior right?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The greatest summary I've ever seen was the series finale of Mad Men "Don Draper has a problem". Accurately describes that episode and also every other episode in the show.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're useful on Russian novels where you need to know a dudes name, his father's name, and his nickname

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

DE is also a bit more grounded than a fantasy setting where people have a bunch of magical powers and various higher level entities actively shaping reality. It's a bad example to compare to Stormlight (Mistborn, especially era 2, would be a better comparison) and considering how it's not really an issue in other Cosmere settings it's pretty intentional for Stormlight.

DE literally has higher level entities shaping reality.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any sci Fi series that are just Conan but in space. I need a giant muscle bound spacebarian busting heads

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You have to clear samples

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kalman posted:

That’s an excellent way to make sure no one makes machine learning algorithms.

good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you trace them you could

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If your "work" is produced by an object without a soul then it's worthless garbage that does nothing but crowd out actual beauty in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The art of photography is on the composition not the objects captured