Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

This book is so deliciously bleak. It's just loaded with amazing set pieces, even more so than Consider Phlebas.

There's a reference to a lazy gun in one of the Culture novels, so it's the same setting, but nobody wants to make the trip out to visit them. A worse deal than we got.

Oh woah, which book is this in? Also this reminds me that I have Against a Dark Background on my shelf and need to reread it, love that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

fez_machine posted:

there's a little gene wolfe (in terms of the prose disguising something that you might not pick up if you're not reading very closely) that goes on in The Traitor but nothing that's super important to understanding the text

and if I recall correctly you're straight up told what it is at the end.

I’m quite dumb and hate feeling like I missed things, can you say what this is? In spoiler tags ofc.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bookchat: loved Exordia, is there going to be an Exordia 2: Exordier? Also, do you have a glossary for some of the military jargon you used, General? I tried looking up 'nine-line' but the only hits I got are about medevacs rather than bombing runs.

Recommendation: have been listening to the audiobook of the Twice-Dead King duology for the second time, loving it even more. It's a WH40K book about the Necrons, who are in principle immortal terminator pharoahs, but the book dials in on the culture and family aspect, so it's more like the inhabitants of an old people's home going on an interstellar war while slowly falling to bits and forgetting who they are and succumbing to the curse of flesh.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe

General Battuta posted:

Declare is so fuckin good

Enough of you recommended this so I picked it up and didn’t out it down until I finished it a few days later. Holy poo poo that was good; are all the rest of his books like this?

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Fun Shoe
Read the first couple of pages of Last Call and yup, this is the poo poo. Thanks!

Another request for suggestions: I've been really enjoying the video game Pacific Drive, where you drive a station wagon through the pacific northwest of the USA with a kind of Stalker / Annihiliation vibe with all anomalies and weird hazards and science and that. I like the southern reach trilogy a lot and spent a weekend once totally obsessed with Mystery Flesh Pit National Park, so I guess I really like stories about navigating through fantastical worlds in kind of a mundane way? Any good recommendations?