Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Done with Gideon. If you scrape off the bones(but why would you?), the story turned out to be a nice isolated island paranoia thing, though it never leans too hard into it, the characters are interesting, the setting is verywarhammer and the author's voice is Let's Play riddled with dad jokes. And I don't even mean this as a critique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

I don't think Land Fit for Heroes series by Richard K Morgan was mentioned. It probably counts, and is definitely lgbt friendly.

Looking at this, I don't think I ever read the third. Huh.

Which is exactly how I feel about it. Quite OK when I read it, but I forgot it exists before the third came out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wachter posted:

Well, I just finished Peter Watts' Firefall, which is the omnibus of Blindsight and Echopraxia, and while Blindsight was a genuinely fascinating piece of existential horror, wheeeeeeeooo was Echopraxia a huge humming pile of poo poo stinking up my Kindle. It was boring as hell, but I really switched off when the vampires went from scary autistic predators into omnipotent space wizards who can line up beer glasses by stomping on the floor, and give you epilepsy by drumming their fingers.

I recently reread Blindsight and it was as great as I remembered it. I liked Echnopraxia just fine when it came out. No idea if it holds up on the reread, but I really wasn't bothered by your spoilers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Ken McLeod and China Mieville would both like a word.

I think Steven Brust is also a trot?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tokenbrownguy posted:

Finished Steel Frame. The action was difficult to follow most of the time, and the mechs had more personality than most the characters. But the setting was solid and the internal narration of the protagonist was cool. Solid 3/5.

Big spoiler: 100%

I also read it and found it very solid. However, I'm slightly disturbed that people who seem to have watched the same Anime as me close to 15+ years ago are writing books now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished a reread of Echnopraxia. It...really didn't hold up. I think it took something like 150 pages until I got sucked back into the story and Bruk's fedora atheism made the nerd discussions a bit more tedious than in Blindsight. Or maybe they just felt more tacked on? Still a lot of neat ideas though. And I couldn't help but read the last couple dialogues in the voice of ANCIENT REPTILIAN BRAIN so all is forgiven.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair that is just Kraken being a lot more playful when it comes to language - it's a word invented to fit the situation; on the other hand, bathoses and puissances in descriptions are just Miéville having showing off this new thesaurus he bought ate.

Scar talk: It is still my favourite book of his and I don't really love BasLag

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PST posted:

Richard Morgan (Altered Carbon/Steel Remains et al) is a massive loving terf

https://twitter.com/quellist1/status/1207744446340747273

This seems like brainworms given his breakout series essentially said that flesh was mutable and you could switch bodies, and his fantasy series had a hella gay protagonist, but...yeah, apparently the signs have been there for a while, he's just now come out with it to defend jk rowling of all people (whose post basically ignored all of the actual legal reasons why the employee was fired, the court supported that firing, and then the appeal court supported it, all because they were a massive bigot as well).

Terfs are some of the dumbest poo poo. I mean even suppose you believe all trans people suffer from some kind of social delusion that just reduces the court cases to something like defending the god-given right to call fat people fat to their face. What has to be wrong with your brain if you don't get this?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This will probably get an eye roll but I honestly think Robert Jordan writes *battle* scenes very well, with a veteran's eye. You believe his characters have seen real combat.

I have to agree with this. It was also one of the main reasons I dislike the Sanderson finals. He really doesn't (or didn't) write good battle scenes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm halfway through a rearead of the Dune novels after close to 20 years. The parts I remember being impressive are still holding up. The social system really made sense in the context provided. With the sole exception of the Jihad. Who are they even at war with? The Atreides got themselves the throne of a HRE like entity, that went along with a controlling stake in the CHoam trade monople. The Landsrat(sp?) as the counter force collecting the aristocracy seems intact, as well as the MAD situation and the conventions of war, as far as I can make out. So what planets are they conquering? Whose planets get cleaned of all live? There are battles with names, but no enemies. There was no mention of rebellion, or defeated Great Houses.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kalman posted:

The Jihad, as suggested by the name, was fundamentally a religious war—replacing the aristocracy and its individual fiefdoms, along with the quasi-secular OC bible and minor religions, with a united religious state venerating Muad’Dib.

While no description of specific rebellious Houses is given, there’s evidence that there was significant resistance from them - for example, the stone burner that destroyed the eyes of one of the Death Commando’s sons was used on a resisting world. Since stone burners were atomically powered, there was likely at least covert Great House support for that use.

On further consideration I can kind of buy this. One point that is raised in the second novel is the negotiation with the guild about the secret asylum planet after 12(?) years, so that points to the Great Houses as the opposite site. And they would still be around in a somewhat reduced state, because of the atomics they control. Then I'd chalk up the description of the wars to number inflation, which Herbert does almost to Warhammer standards. There are also the Ixians as possible opponents.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I recently finished Southern Reach. I must admit every further entry felt more like an unmotivated prequel than a continuation of the story. I was really into it at the start, but pretty done with it by the end. I don't really mind the ending though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

PKD had mental illness problems exacerbated by serious drug use. I doubt he had a clear confidence in there being a single observable reality.

I feel every second book of his I read had a drug that changed the world when you take it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I think I've never read anything by David Gemmell, but the name keeps turning up, any particular place to take a look?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, Murderbot is genderless (literally, as far as I know), but I always just associate killer robots as male in my head. I dunno why. I just default to "he", same as when I refer to ships as "she". Habit, I guess.

Weirdly enough, ART presented itself in my brain as a neutral character, but with a male voice.

Murderbot sounded female to me. If I had to guess a reason it's that it is Martha Wells writing and using the first person.

quantumfoam posted:

Vance was pretty good and most of his fantasy + scifi stories have aged well. No overt jail-bait obsession, no overt author-insert hero worship, no overt eugenics or racism slant.

Did you read Planet of Adventure?
Edit: That was the one Vance story I dropped half way through, but I always have a bit of a problem with his straight adventure parts.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 11, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I had to look up which of his books the Centauri device actually was and the wiki synopsis starts with:

""The Centauri Device - Wikipedia" posted:

Harrison has said that the book breaks what were then the central tenets of space opera, namely that the protagonist plays an active role in driving the plot forward, that the universe is comprehensible to humans and that the universe is anthropocentric.[1] These preconceptions were still common in the more literary space operas of the time, such as Samuel R. Delany's Nova (which Harrison described as "highly readable but finally unsatisfying") and, in terms of tone, Harrison's novel more closely hews to the unconventional genre-bending of Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination and The Paradox Men by Charles L. Harness, with the bleak cosmic outlook being influenced by Barrington J. Bayley's The Star Virus.[2]

Edit: I might not actually have read it. Nothing here rings a bell, except it sounds like stuff he would write.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 20, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

Julian May's Ploiscene Saga does something similar with "humanity crushed by aliens and quislings and all that" and is 113% batshit insnae.

Weird, I never even heard of her.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

fritz posted:

RH should have stuck with going after people like Bakker.

Bakker is definitely guilty of writing a few books that aren't very good, but I'm not aware of anything he has done that warrants being harassed by weirdos?

genericnick fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 28, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

Curse you amazon

Same. I had it preordered from the (localish) book store and they just gave up and cancelled it. Logistics is hard.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

No black pages on Harrow. 0/10 I was robbed.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Finished Harrow and it's still goofy fun. Honestly it was a bit weaker than the first and could probably have done with a bit more trimming. Also, in the 10kth year of the God Emperor's reign, the English language evolved entirely to dad jokes and memes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Drakyn posted:

"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.
At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.

awesmoe posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken’s head rose. Kahlan pulled back. Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway. “Shoo,” Kahlan heard herself whisper. There wasn’t enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn’t tell if it had the dark spot, But she didn’t need to see it. “Dear spirits, help me,” she prayed under her breath. The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn’t. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People’s chickens. But this was no chicken. This was evil manifest.

We had some good times. I think the ASIOF forum had something like 50 threads writing parodies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Moreau posted:

I just finished reading the entire 7 book Prince of Nothing saga by R Scott Bakker and ... dear god, why did no one get that man an editor? I rarely feel like my time reading is ill-spent, but this was certainly a new low.

Yeah, talk at the time was that the editor quit after the first 3 and then, well whatever happened happened.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Crashbee posted:

The implausibility of the vampires kinda spoiled the book for me too. I mean, in the real world just making potatoes more resistant to disease is super controversial, but you're telling me someone thought it would be a good idea to create a race of creepy super-smart monsters that feed on humans and terrify everyone? No-one would think that's a good idea. It's not like there's even any twists, it ends exactly the way you'd think.

I mean the controversy barely slows the adaption of the potatoes and several major countries had a bioweapon research program that was rather unadvised.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I can't for the life of me remember what novel that was, but the protagonist was researching elephants and being a great embarrassment to his family's business empire. Then the matriarch died and he gets pulled into the search for the McGuffin she hid. Involves travel in the solar system. Somehow I mixed that up with Robinson's 2312, but that wasn't it, was it?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hobnob posted:

Reynolds' Blue Remembered Earth? I kinda bounced off it (despite generally liking Reynolds) so I may be wrong.

Yeah that was it, thanks.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

The rub is that Chandler wasn't writing about how much of a stone loving badass Marlowe is while Morgan is definitely writing about how much of a stone cold loving super badass Kovacs is. Morgan isn't writing noir so much as he's using its trappings to dress up his sci fi power fantasy.

While they don't check off as many of its genre markers as Morgan's Altered Carbon, Gibson's Neuromancer, Effinger's When Gravity Fails, and even some missions in 2077 do a much better job of capturing the ethos and atmosphere of noir in a cyberpunk setting. The board game Android does too.

Yeah that is spot on. The books were just too much of a power fantasy for me to really love them. And they always ended in a made for TV shootout scene.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I would be down with this but I really hated The Magicians. They are given massive power and they did literally nothing to help anyone around themselves while whining about how nothing makes them happy. It's the unmitigated selfishness of it all, painted in a light that was supposed to make them sympathetic. They are absolutely contemptible characters. Sometimes it can be fun to read about contemptible characters, but this is absolutely not one of those cases.

This was deliberate! Lev Grossman described himself as a "classical novelist" and had massive contempt for the fantasy genre in general at the time of writing the book. It was a glove slap to his audience's face. The book set out to criticize fantasy novels and dared people to read a story about lovely characters in a world deliberately made boring.

Except... teenagers are angsty in proportion to the amount of agency they lack in the systems in which they grow up. It's the system that makes them that way, it's not some intrinsic property. But he made all these statements from elitism - the fucker went to both Harvard and Yale - about how rich, powerful and wealthy people can still be really sad you guys. It's not satire, it's projection. Then, he also picked a genre he himself hated to showcase it. He wrote about a group awful, unlikable characters given the world and who refused to change anything about themselves. It's the anti-heroes journey, written by someone who was actually given the world.

This book lands with the wettest of farts for me. I choose to spend my time believing and reading better.

I read a lot of books with unlikeable characters, but specifically self-centered, low-level depressive and whiny ones are just not that fun. Over privileged and boring. Very NYT in a way.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

From one of the Covid threads:

BattleMaster posted:

speaking of covid denial, notorious racist H. P. Lovecraft, who was racist even for his time and told to tone it down by colleagues, would have been anti-lockdown today

H. P. Lovecraft to Lillian D. Clark, 2 December 1925 posted:

:

I was indeed glad to see the added mention of Dr. Chapin, who is certainly coming into his own at last. During the influenza epidemic he began his emergence into national publicity, for it was upon his advice that Dr. Copeland, then Supt. of Health of N.Y. City, (now a Senator at Washington) made his momentous recommendation that no places of publick assemblage be closed. This recommendation was adopted in New York, but according to the old rule of the prophet's honour in his own country was not adopted in Providence—where, you will recall, schools & theatres were closed for a considerable period. Chapin mantained that as much congestion & contagion—perhaps more—occurs when people are excluded from their usual haunts, as when they are suffered to go their own way without interference.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've been reading Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles and now I remember why I dropped the series more than a decade ago. I'm a third through and I think every interaction any character had was them being 100% tiresomely aggro. It's just incredibly one-note. I have somewhat fond memories of Altered Carbon and its sequels, but there it probably worked better since you had only the single POV who spent every encounter rolling 2 D6 on the intimidation table.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

I've been reading Richard Morgan's The Dark Defiles and now I remember why I dropped the series more than a decade ago. I'm a third through and I think every interaction any character had was them being 100% tiresomely aggro. It's just incredibly one-note. I have somewhat fond memories of Altered Carbon and its sequels, but there it probably worked better since you had only the single POV who spent every encounter rolling 2 D6 on the intimidation table.

Finished it, for what it's worth. And what it's worth is not much. I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to say that all POVs he ever wrote are the same and while his shtick kind of fit in Altered Carbon, if you take the same POV, split it in three characters and drop them into a fantasy setting it gets much more grating. If you'd cut every interaction that was a character being needlessly insufferable until they get a rise out of their opposition, only to make them back down with their badass staring technique you'd safe half the weight.
Come to think of it, I picked Altered Carbon up in the same batch as Bakker and Abercrombie, but today I really would only recommend the latter.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Groke posted:

Because of you guys I just started on Between Two Fires and holy crap, this thing is, well, fire.

I also read it because of this thread and it's pretty good.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Gato posted:

Just read Declare on the strength of the recommendations from a few pages ago. Had a lot of fun reading it, really pacy and tightly written, but I'm feeling a bit more mixed now that I've had time to digest it a bit more. The cosmic horror stuff was very well done, especially since it steered away from most of the usual Lovecraft tropes. I wasn't completely convinced by the romance subplot, but I thought the reflections on faith were really interesting - it's not often you see an unambiguously positive portrayal of organised religion in modern fantasy.

The politics though... oof. I'm by no means a Stalin Did Nothing Wrong type of leftist (not using the T-word) but having the Soviet Union be literally preserved by human sacrifice in the name of a bloodthirsty alien god, with the Purges and Holodomor explicitly referred to as intentional sacrifices to the djinn is pretty gross. By contrast, the British and French are seemingly motivated by nothing more than well-intentioned determination to destroy said djinn, and their misdeeds are therefore justified. It's the same problem I have with a lot of Nazi Occult/Thule Society stuff - we're perfectly capable of causing unthinkable suffering in the name of ideology, paranoia, greed or just sheer incompetence without having to do it in the name of Yog-Sohoth. I got bored with the Laundry Files, but I think the Stross perspective (which comes across really clearly in A Colder War) that every nation would happily deal with the devil if they thought they could get a step ahead of their enemies (or even their allies) rings much more true.

Also it's pretty jarring to have a book largely set among Arabs and Kurds in the post-Sykes-Picot Middle East with almost no discussion of colonialism. I seem to recall reading an interesting essay years ago criticizing some Cold War cosmic horror book (it might even have been Declare) on the grounds that (paraphrasing) the British Empire was the real Cthulhu - does that ring a bell for anyone?

Yeah Declare really contains a lethal dose of Cold War. I still enjoyed it, but there were certainly parts I found hard to stomach.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zurtilik posted:

I'm sure if I roll through the thread I'd find this answer somewhere, but oh well, lazy posting keeps the thread alive?!

Are there any goon recommended Sci-Fi/Fantasy books that were written in the last year or two? I realize I've kept my reading in those genres almost exclusively to like pre-80s and I want to shake that up! Double points if they aren't over 400 pages.

Also, are any of those Star Trek/Star Wars novels actually worth my time?

The Freeze-Frame Revolution was published three years ago. Does that make the cut?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Hierophant's Daughter by M F Sullivan is first of a trilogy about a fascist theocracy ruled by vampires and it's weird

Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner is a story about giant mechas fighting in space and it's AWESOME

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir is the first of a trilogy about a necromancer's bodyguard who is trying to keep them all from being killed by this haunted house thing kind of

I read both of those and enjoyed them. The second contains a lethal concentration of dad jokes however.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

breadnsucc posted:

the amount of money they were paid in advance by their publishing company i'm assuming, then if you read their books for 'free', and they aren't poo poo books that should be tossed into a fire or whatever I suspect, and I don't know, I'm just guessing here you can do this fancy thing called send money and in this crazy insane world of ours there are so many fancy ways to give money to people without also giving money to predatory publishers and distributors

Sure, but most novels are group efforts to some extent. Since we're in the Science Fiction thread I want to point to Scott Bakker's output before and after his editor quit as one of the most egregious examples.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

I loved Heroes Die, and actually found out about it thanks to one of this thread’s prior incarnations.

What do you guys think of the followup? I started it, but thought it was absurdly slow compared to the first one and put it down.

I think there were three in all? I liked them overall, but it's a clear case that none of the books improves on the one before.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Armauk posted:

I'm about 30% through The Blade Itself and finding a bit dull. It does pick up eventually for the series, right?

Yeah, Abercrombie markedly improved as he continued to write.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

Best Served Cold moves at a better clip than The Blade Itself so that's part of it. It is very much a book full of irredeemable characters, even more so than The First Law though. So that can definitely alienate people.

Yeah, but it's better to alienate people with one book instead of a trilogy. Irredeemable characters are an Abecrombie fixture and if you really don't enjoy Best Served Cold you'll find little to like in his other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

I wouldn't start with Fencer. It's not bad, and I haven't finished The Proof House (the last book) yet, but it feels like it lacks focus. Not as much as Parker's Scavengers trilogy, which was the only series of his I quit reading, but it really pales in comparison to The Folding Knife, 16 Ways to Defend a Walled City (and its sequel), and The Two of Swords.

That said, if you want to track his evolution as an author, Fencer will allow you to start with the least polished work. Plus I think he handled female character better in Fencer than in some of his later books. It's not until The Two of Swords that there's a woman nearly as competent as any in Fencer.

His understanding of material culture is really impressive. Even Mary Gentle, who has an MA in War Studies, doesn't get into the weeds about how swords are forged, bows are made, or armor constructed to the extent that Parker does. They seem about on equal terms as far as understanding tactics though, and the various roles of different parts of the medieval military and its interactions with mercenaries, etc. To that end I'd also recommend Mary Gentle's Ash: A Secret History if you enjoy Abercrombie and Between Two Fires.

There is a sequel to 16 ways?