Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

I've never read the sequel series but it's why I reread the first five so many times. I'd think, "Man, I'm really curious how those sequels went but I should refresh myself on the originals first. It's light reading, it should go fast." And then by the time I'm done I just want to throw the books in a fire.

If people would be entertained by it I could start a thread in a month or so when I have more time.

Count me in on being entertained by watching a slow melt-down Let's Read ending with incoherent posts composed while in the grip of a frothing rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Reverse werewolf is a swearwolf, obvs

No, the reverse is a Therewolf.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

World War Z probably deserves a “most influential” discussion, and it feels SF (and definitely not science fiction) more than horror adjacent.

How so? I mean, I liked the Ken Burns "oral history of the zombie war" vibe it had. But other than that, it was a fairly mediocre zombie story. What about it has influenced subsequent works?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The first Temeraire novel was not horrible and I got so excited

Hoo booy black diamond downhill slope there

Yeah :smith:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I bring the fresh breath of baseline human psychology to the fever swamps way out on the bell curve. Consider it a dole of wisdom and common sense to those in intellectual poverty.

Oh you're one of those. Tell me, do you study The Blade?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pmchem posted:

Maybe they’re just getting old.

Ah, so we *aren't* living in a random hellscape. Got it, champ.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

Sandman Slim is decidedly more grimdark than Dresden, but it's also significantly better.

It's also hilarious.

quote:

I'm steel-toed boots in a ballet-slipper world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Anyone tried Peter Clines new one Terminus?

It's another Threshold novel.

I really liked 14 and The Fold, but Dead Moon was so boring and bad I'm hesitant.

Don't say that, I just bought Dead Moon.

That being said, I'm very down for a new Threshold novel.

e: huh. apparently not available in the US

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Childhood's End is such a bitter-sweet, beautiful book full of despair and hope.

Please read it if you haven't yet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tommu posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for zombie/post apocalyptic?

Johnathan Maberry.

Dead of Night series - It basically starts with Patient Zero of apocalypse and just spirals out of control. It's pretty drat bleak. I haven't read the latest, but I over-all enjoy the series. There are cross-overs with the Joe Ledger series (although events are after that series as things stand)

Rot and Ruin series - Basically a generation after Dead of Night. I think it's considered YA, but it's still pretty dark and violent and it gave me one of my favorite villains: St. John of the Knife.

Maberry also riles up the "too much virtue signaling!" and "why can't you leave these non-political? Too much SJW" crowd, so it's a plus for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Really? I've read some summaries after he was mentioned in the UF thread and it sounded like the standard right-wing wankery to me - heroic US marines gunning down evil Arabs who want to unleash zombie viruses and so on.

In the first book, the extremist group are manipulated into being the patsies for the Seif al Din prion attack. The real villain is far more banal and motivated personal gain instead of any ideology. It's a bit more complicated but that's it at its core

As the series progresses a shadowy cabal begins to emerge that has been pulling strings through the books. It also mixes in a lot of Strange Science and a few ideological foes (but more Nazi Science/Facism than "Islam evil! Rawr!"). Mostly it's a shadow war that's gone on for generations (or perhaps centuries by some perspectives).

Don't get me wrong, there's still a bunch of violent extra-judicial poo poo going on, but it's more presented as doing bad things to prevent even worse things and there are consequences. The main character is treated like an unstable time bomb at times even by his closest friends. Joe Ledger himself swings from sympathetic bad-rear end hero to crazed anti-hero like a pendulum made up of PTSD and impulse control issues.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ah, so you didn't actually read them. Got it.