Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tarnop posted:

A friend who also enjoyed the 3BP books recommended Peter F Hamilton to me, but I haven't read any yet so I don't know if that's a good recommendation

I haven't read 3BP yet, but Peter F. Hamilton sounds similar in that he has interesting ideas and then his execution is terrible and his characters are garbage. I remember back in college I read that six book arc I now forget the name. The series was filled with interesting ideas for sci-fi stuff, but the human and character side was just garbage. Like, even in college I was thinking "wow, this is mediocre". There was also a lot of sexual violence. Like, a lot.

edit: also a lot of his protagonist characters come off as huge entitled assholes and I can't tell if this is intentional or not.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

idiotsavant posted:

I’m about halfway through Circe and if it keeps going the way it’s going I might dnf it. It started well enough but at a certain point it feels like it turned into Ready Player One, the Greek Edition, things went more tell than show, and the writing got a little too tropey & clumsy. Kind of a letdown because I really enjoy good mythological rewrites.

If you want to read some sort-of mythological books about Greek stuff try Mary Renault. She was writing about Greek heroes in like the 70's and her writing definitely tries to capture the mind set of her characters as Greek heroes. In terms of the supernatural she plays it as though this occurs in the natural world but her characters are pious and act as though divine intervention is a real thing and there are enough coincidences in how stories unfold that you can see why they would believe in the supernatural.

Last Summer I read Song for Achilles and The King Must Die and I can definitely tell you one of these books was much better than the other.