Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

@Battuta post your honor harrington fanfic in the mil-sf thread, coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

darthbob88 posted:

It's because a lot of them actually believe in "meritocratic" hierarchies like capitalism, they just disagree about who should be at the top of the pile.

nah, i think a lot of these guys genuinely believe in some sort of military command economy or fascist public-private partnership arrangement

they just writie paeans to capitalism because this is still somewhat impolitic even in their own circles

and because the united states has evolved a form of state capitalism w/r/t the military industrial complex that is at least vaguely compatible with their ultimate vision

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i encounter unisex bathrooms often enough even in the poor and rural area where i live

this is to say both that some businesses have consciously unisex bathrooms and also that "unisex bathroom" is what every terrible backroad gas station that can only afford 1 bathroom has

also it is the type of bathroom that is in your house

makes me wonder where these reviewers live that allows them to think unisex bathrooms are some sort of exotic left-wing fantasy

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Two questions before I dive into Baru 3: Tokyo Drift: Is there a fourth coming, or is this it for the trilogy? I also remember a character talking about their being some significance behind the name Kettling, but I can't remember anyone saying what that significance was. Did I miss that?

baru 3 is out??

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

The 1:1 to mapping to Crusader Kings 2 got very overt.

General Battuta posted:

I have never played Crusader Kings 2 tho

you guys have had this exact exchange at least once before :crossarms:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

the Traitor Baru Cormorant was among a big pile of books I got for my mom (who does not read fantasy novels normally) for christmas

after sampling the early chapters of each book, TTBC was the one she picked out to finish first

three of the other novels were by people with pulitzers

what I'm saying is, good job Battuta, you scalawag

now we just have to see if her affection for the work survives the ending :black101:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

John Lee posted:

The negative responses have absolutely nothing to do with gender, and 100% to do with the fact that people think she's way wrong.

you can't escape gendered implications whenever you post a take about fanfic, I feel.

the whole reason this Benedict character is getting ratio'd is that she's dumping on the only writing medium dominated by female and queer voices and interests, and which has been formative in the development of most of the up-and-coming female and queer authors in SFF publishing.

editors too, come to think of it

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 17, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

russian oligarchs can stop you, by buying livejournal!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

awesmoe posted:

your lesbian brain is probably reading it more accurately than my straight brain but I just dont read their relationship like that at the moment.
I wouldnt be crushed or betrayed or anything if it ended up romantic, but I think it would take a change from what they've got now. especially since gideon is alive(?) again and live girls aren't really harrow's type

While I'm not 100% sure on this, I do think those two characters' story is heading in a romantic direction - Gideon I think is definitely there already, Harrow mostly there but too self-repressed to acknowledge it

book 3 will presumably entail Harrow getting over her fixation on Alecto or just figuring out you're allowed to have more than one girlfriend if everyone involved is agreeable, especially if one of 'em is dead and thus unlikely to make demands on anyone's time.

The one argument I can see against it is that Gideon's internal narration is not shy about ogling the women she is attracted to (hence endlessly describing Dulcinea's and Coronabeth's appearances while being sort of indifferent to the appearances of the various other women around) and she never really notices Harrow that way. But it's not as if people have to conform to each other's physical tastes in order to end up together, the two have an old and jagged relationship that kinda transcends whether they would swipe right on skeleton tinder.

It's healthy for characters to be able to have close friendships without the need for romantic subtext, and Muir clearly knows this, which is why she provides various other important female characters who neither protagonist is ship-teased with. That said, both deliberately and accidentally breaking all the laws of necromancy out of sheer determination to keep someone alive reads as beyond Good Pals territory, to me

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

finally got time to read Baru 3

I think the one thing that dissatisfied me a bit about the series is that the eponymous gimmick of the Masquerade is not used enough, imho

if the imperial republic's gonna have a distinctive feature where everyone wears masques socially, and moreover if the books' principle machinery consists of various layers of deception and self-deception, why not throw in a bunch more hyperspecific symbolism about people's masque choices, masque fashions, and what they mean? Felt like wasted aesthetic. Could also have used more formal dance reception scenes.

Further nitpick, I thought it was a little bit lame when pistols and cannons showed up since "they've figured out gunpowder but not guns" seemed like a cool distinctive worldbuilding detail from the first book, gave ample excuse to keep working with interesting "road not traveled" technologies like the hwacha.

also baru's parents are the best and I'm glad they were ultimately not murdered by Tain Shiar or the Navy

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Way back when I still used Discord, I tried asking a question but never got a straight answer back.
The question was and still is: Why are SA book barn posters so obsessed with Patrick Rothfuss?

rothfuss is a big name in various niche nerd circles that overlap with goondom

he's been a guest on a lot of big nerd podcasts, hammers the convention circuit really hard, pops up on youtube all the time and even on TV

naturally people become annoyed by this if they think he is bad
or even if they think he is good but are annoyed by him being even slower than GRRM

also I know a guy who was in grad school with him and apparently he brewed a lot of noxious herbal tonics and forced classmates to drink them

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i didn't make it that far into way of kings

my big takeaway was that kaladin has a knife sheath attached to his spear when fighting in the feudal mud village army at the beginning, which gave me a lot of inspiration re: attaching things to other things

like i usually need to have the 10mm wrench out at the same time as the 3/8 so those are attached together
i will usually need a trowel if I'm gonna use a shovel so I've attached those bad boys
and i probably won't want to use the chainsaw without a beer so you know what, chainsaws got a koozie on it now

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Collateral posted:

Are there any Culture books that do not have a duck-out-of-water?

well, Horza is the only Changer in Consider Phlebas, but since it's set in this sort of liminal space-western frontier between the great civilizations (a type of environment Banks never really explored again in the series) you could say all the characters are far from home and there's no duck-in-water

Consider Phlebas *feels* very different from other Culture novels, I think because Banks was thinking in this mode of "what if I made a Star War, but bigger?" and hadn't yet settled on the what the main Idea of the Culture itself was

not that Consider Phlebas doesn't have Ideas in it, of course, it's probably my ~third or fourth favorite Culture novel and really the only one I would hand to strangers (no I don't think Player of Games is a good entrepot despite certain internet residents' conviction that it is)

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 7, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

all these silicon valley types are claiming to be big Banks fans now, yet none of them will pony up the $350 million for hollywood to make a sure-to-flop film adaptation of Consider Phlebas

cowards

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

freebooter posted:

(Though I would add that Player of Games and Use of Weapons are the ones most commonly cited as the best, which is interesting because I thought Player of Games was by far the weakest of the three I've read.)

I don't think I've ever seen "Player of Games is one of the 2 best Culture novels" as any sort of consensus anywhere

a lot of people recommend it as a first Culture novel because they think it ~explains the Culture and the conceits of the series straightforwardly, but imho that is not very necessary, stuff's not that complicated

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hmm, i was sufficiently tuned out last year that i missed seeing mike resnick had died

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

friends of mine who work in journalism and magazine writing have been more-or-less forced by their editors to maintain twitter presences for promotional/networking purposes when they did not want to

i don't know whether that happens to book authors
probably someone here would know though

can management make you tweet??

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

E: It was the Commonwealth Saga

i don't like hamilton that much in the grand scheme of thing, but i will always respect the commonwealth saga for paying due respect to the mighty Train

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

stirling comes off as a kind of normal guy by the standards of that milieu most of the time, but then it feels like at least once per series you get something like a character musing "and the good thing about this timeline divergence is that Islam will never exist!"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 21, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

shirunei posted:

This is about the only place I even hear anything about women genre writers. Publicity and word of mouth seem pretty important, and it seems like they just don't get much spotlight. If someone has a good resource to rectify that I'm all ears, but just saying read women author's isn't that helpful imo.

i mean, where do you normally hear about genre writers

8 of the last 10 best novel hugo winners were women

I'm not saying genre publishing isn't a Good Old Boys club anymore (it still is a lot of the time!) but i don't think women authors are like, unknown somehow

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Excluding discussions about the latest movies and tv-series, female SFF author's work is brought up and discussed more than SFF male author's work in the SFL Archives in a 4:3 ratio;

did you do a spreadsheet

i'm not being sardonic i'd like to see it if you did

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

if i were writing a fantasy novel set in Boston, i would simply include a scene where a local dragon complains about danny ainge trading kendrick perkins in 2011

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 15, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

another good reason for a cis man to deliberately read more women authors is that then you have books to recommend to your women coworkers and friends when they ask you "hey, i'd like to try getting into [genre/type] books, but i feel like it's all written by/for men, are there any women who write in this field?", which has happened to me a number of times

if you don't seek out more diverse authorship, you not only may end up mostly reading stuff by cis white guys, you will probably end up mostly talking to cis white guys about it

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 15, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

Speaking of game lore, except one where the author is a good person (or at least a goon person) what's the best way to engage with the Destiny storyline that's not a fan wiki or squinting over item descriptions?

Bungie has put out several hard-copy anthologies of curated Grimoire material (i.e. the short-fiction lore entries you can collect in game)
Available as ebooks as well

they're illustrated, look really nice, and i presume gather the material together according to some thematic or sequential organization that makes more sense than a wiki rabbit-hole would

I don't know if the General or other writers receive any sort of money based on sales of those, however. If they don't, i perhaps would not care to purchase them

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 22, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

there are also i think multiple fan-illustrated versions of the Books of Sorrows floating around, perhaps other storylines as well, idk it's a big fandom

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Spotted at Barnes & Nobles in San Mateo

my mom liked Tyrant a lot, enough that she immediately went on the internet and purchased Monster upon finishing (my mom does not purchase books under normal circumstances, but rather acquires them through inter-library exchange)

i haven't asked her how she felt about Monster yet, i was a little worried that as a cancer survivor she would be very bothered by the Cancrioth

anyway the Baruniverse is good

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 25, 2021

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I know at least 3 Thufirs

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

thotsky posted:

Barrayar is definitely better than Shards.

Presumably this is because Barrayar wasn't a star trek fic with some names switched around

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm looking for some fantasy that's heavily inspired by Norse mythology, or just stuff that has a similar feel. I've read The Broken Sword (which was great, and definitely the sort of thing I'm looking for) and I know LotR draws heavily from a lot of mythology and folklore of the area, but anything else? I'm sure there's obvious stuff I'm forgetting that I've read, but I'm curious if there's anything out there I've overlooked entirely. I know there's a fair amount of viking- and Norse-flavored fantasy that is quietly (or not so quietly) white supremacist, so it's hard to know what's actually good and what's just getting pushed because somebody has an agenda.

if you like things that are very old and dated, Del Rey's Day of the Giants

which iirc was the first Del Rey I ever read

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Basil Exposition is an underrated character, as seen in my 10-part post in the CBR Rumbles forum,

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

General Battuta posted:

"The bomb only lives while it is falling" but you have to pick up all the pieces after you explode

is this the true secret of Bomb Logic

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

a book is just a very long post

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

What is the 400 page novella referred to in the thread title

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i briefly caught some of the apple Foundation series and became very confused because it appeared to have 0 whatsoever to do with the foundation novels I've read

are they drawing from the spinoff/prequel/expanded universe Foundation books written by the Various Gregs, which I never delved into?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

show me a meandering columbo-esque discourse by Salvor Hardin, you television cretins!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

clearly the whole series is intended as a mockery of the "tough" men who make "hard choices", right

tbf this discussion is making me more anxious for Tor to let Exordia out of editing hell

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I still liked it because Dark Forest is an interesting idea and 3bp explored that some

having not read Cixin's trilogy yet, I'm wondering how readers here feel it stacks up to Forge of Stars/Anvil of Stars in that regard

or the largely forgotten The Killing Star

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

"i sexually identify as [military equipment]" was a known transphobic meme kicking around the internet long before the story came out, which Fall would've been well aware of at the time she picked it as the title

it's not weird that people's hackles would be raised immediately when they saw it as the title of a story

if i had not been aware of The Discourse around the story prior to encountering the story, i would also probably have assumed it was a transphobic screed based on the title

the same way you'd assume a story with Kekistan in the title was racist

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Cherryh just flooding my to-read list, regret sleeping on her back when I was younger and had more time to read

I've never really understood why Cherryh's fantasy novels seem so disliked online

yeah Fortress etc are slow, but fantasy readers archetypally have enormous patience for huge slow-moving unwieldy books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not just an online thing; most of people I know IRL who are big into Cherryh either dislike her fantasy, or haven't read it because they've had it disrecommended to them.

For my part, I love her SF, but even with that motivation and multiple recommendations (some of them ITT), it took me like four tries to get into Fortress in the Eye of Time over a period of two decades. Even by fantasy doorstopper standards the opening to that book is just a slog. Once I got past it into the part where there are actual characters and conversations and things happening, I enjoyed it immensely, but getting there was tricky.

The first ~third or so of Fortress is honestly some of my favorite stuff in her whole bibliography, but maybe you've gotta be in the right mood for it, the same way you've gotta be in the right mood for the first third of Fellowship of the Ring