Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I really wish there were well-read audiobooks of those. Only the first one of the Exile series ever got an audio release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Of the Ethsar books I've read I think The Unwilling Warlord was the best, and it's perfectly readable stand-alone.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

nessin posted:

Anyone know of at least some passable campy high action space opera books/series that have come out in the past few years? I really crave a new Star of the Guardian/Deerstalker/Star Wars-ish kinda book.

Not recent. But there's Simon R Green's Deathstalker series

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

A while ago I was looking for some, eh, comfortable fantasy? Someone recommended Misenchanted Sword and it was perfect. Are the other books in that series good?

To add to the list, I really enjoyed The Unwilling Warlord.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I bounced of The Powder Mage super-hard as well. I'm not sure I even got far enough to see all the bad stuff, just failed to grip me from the start and I abandoned it rapidly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone read Dead Moon by Peter Clines?

I liked it, but I'm kinda stuck wondering how it ties into the rest of the Threshold series.

Hated it. I read and really enjoyed 14 and Threshold. Was bored to tears by Dead Moon. Just completely failed to engage me in any way. Abandoned it halfway through as I couldn't bring myself to slog through another word.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Also I really like Baxters authorised sequels to HG Wells, The Time Ships (Sequel to The Time Machine) and The Massacre of Mankind (War of the Worlds).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone tried Peter Clines new one Terminus?

It's another Threshold novel.

I really liked 14 and The Fold, but Dead Moon was so boring and bad I'm hesitant.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

John Gwynne's Malice is also a Kindle Daily Deal. Any opinions on it? The blurb sounds interesting, though it also seems like it could be kind of bland or cliched in execution.

I tried to read it but lost interest super quick. Bland is definitely how I'd describe it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kestral posted:

If Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana isn't doing much for me, should I bother with any of his other work? I think I was hoping for more out of the concept of a conquering sorcerer stripping away the name and identity of an entire people, but just under half-way through, it doesn't feel like it's leveraging a cool premise into more than you'd get out of an alt-history where Byzantium and Charlemagne invaded Italy from opposite ends. I get that thinly-veiled alt-histories are Kay's thing, so should I steer clear of his other books?

Tigana is like peak GGK. If that ain't doing it for you, then he's not for you.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Oh hey I remember that concept/gimmick from Harry Harrison's 1970's themed short story collection One Step from Earth, whose theme was matter transportation/portal devices stories (thank you public library system).

It turns up in Simmons first two Hyperion books as well. I'm sure it's in other stories as well, it's a fairly obvious implication of such technology.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah, Clarke is so good. I finished re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell a week or so ago and now I'm reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

If you've not seen it, the BBC did a 7 part adaptation of it that's pretty good. Takes a couple of episodes to get going but I really enjoyed it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

-Larry Niven's Down in Flames, the 1968/1977 unofficial abandoned conclusion to the Known Space/Ringworld series finally got described in detail Everything you know about the Known Space setting is a hoax. Down in Flames discussion was interesting enough that I read it myself, and no bullshit it is better than everything Niven proceeded to write about the Ringworld and Known Space setting for the next 8 books.

If you do choose to see Down in Flames as Known Space/Ringworld canon, you can safely abandon the Ringworld series after the 1st Ringworld book aka Ringworld 1970, while the remaining Known Space stories written after 1978 sort-of fit if you don't think too hard about timedates.

I think that's the stuff that actually got turned 20 years later into the novel A Darker Geometry by Gregory Benford and is also no longer considered canon

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hahaha, that takes me back. Back in my late teens I had this "hobby" of tracking down and reading novels depicting fictional Soviet invasions of the United States or the UK, mostly by trawling Paul Brians' online bibliography of nuclear war stories. I was able to find a few novels that were decent enough reads that handled their subjects with some nuance, but I, Martha Adams wasn't one of them, rarely rising above the level of your bog-standard Reagan-era conservative polemic.

You might enjoy this blog.

https://fuldapocalypsefiction.com/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

xiw posted:

For some reason I'd bucketed Tom Holt in the 'basically not funny' pile with people lke Craig Shaw Gardner but now that I think about I don't think I'd read anything of his except Grailblazers to come to that conclusion.

I did read a lot of Tom Holt (writing as Tom Holt) books back in the day, and yeah, they never rose up above mildly entertaining at best. His Parker stuff is way better. As is funnily enough, as are his historical fiction books under his other pseudonym of Thomas Holt*.

Check out the Walled Orchard or Olympiad.

*Although if you pick up a recent edition. I think they're rebranded back to 'Tom Holt' now.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I also couldn't get into the book, but the TV adaptation that the BBC did is great, albeit it takes a couple of episodes to really get going.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Another superhero recommendation. I really like Jim Bernheimers "Confessions of a D-list Supervillian" novels. Which are shlocky as gently caress, but fun.

Edit: Oh and Dan Abnett. Of Black Library and Guardians of the Galaxy fame wrote a prose Avengers novel a few years back that was pretty good as well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avengers-Everybody-Wants-World-Prose/dp/0785193006

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 15, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I really liked Ed McDonalds Ravens Mark trilogy and it's pretty grimdark.

Adds gunpowder weapons to the standard sword and sorcery which is always a plus in my book. And some interesting world building. Including one magically post-apocalyptic region literally called 'The Misery'.

Edit: Oh and I listened to the first one on Audible and the narrator is pretty good as well if you're into audiobooks.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 16, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Eh.

I'm sure there are a few cranks, and Victorians going to Victorian, but I really don't see many people in modern Britain who have any great feelings about who won as Hastings.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They care about immigration, EU laws, national sovereignty.

In catastrophically misinformed ways, but nonetheless.

Nobody bar a tiny fringe cares about who won at Hastings and have never given it a moments thought.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I try and crowbar this in all the time, but I love how little of a poo poo every french person I know gives about Agincourt. Most of them don't even know about it! Because it may have been a momentous victory for England, but from the French perspective its one defeat from that time England spent a hundred years failing to conquer them.

Not to get all "Demographics is destiny" but it's interesting how recent the population of each country being equivalent is. It's barely a century old, rough parity kicked in around 1900 swinging slightly either side since.

As recently as the Napoleonic wars France had 3 time the population of the UK. Go back as far as the 100 years war and it was 4 times and you could make argument (the stats get obviously hazier) for 5 at other times.

There's a reason France was the big dog of Europe for so long. Medieval France held about a quarter of the population of Europe, and it took centuries for that advantage to dwindle.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Between Two Fires is rad as hell. I love Christian mythology being used in weird ways.

I literally just finished reading his Vampire novel The Lesser Dead an hour ago, and thought it was great. Would recommend.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm doing a lot of house painting next week and I feel like listening to some Swords and Sorcery as I'm doing it.

Anybody got any relatively (past couple of years) recent recommendations. I'm up to speed with the classics, leiber etc.

Audible availability mandatory.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I read the first Dune prequel/continuation book when it came out back in the day, and I was genuinally pissed at how bad it was. Just insultingly awful.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Van Voght still gets respected because he was a good idea man, sort of the Philip k. Dick of pulp. Like, everything from Star Trek to the Displacer Beast in D&d draws from his work (both of those actually from the same book, Voyage of the Space Beagle).

Voyage of the Space Beagle is still fun, and packed with cool concepts. Plus being a 1950 book, you can read it at a sitting.

Edit: Annoyingly, there doesn't seem to be a kindle edition.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sounds like somebody needs some refresher Hypnosleep courses in applied Nexialism. :colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"......ok VV. So you fell for that scammy cult. It's alright. We all make mistakes, you're allowed one life gently caress-up for free. Live and learn. Just move on a wiser man. Why yes Ron, I *would* like to hear more about your new religion!........."

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Do you mean this one?

https://subterraneanpress.com/magazine/summer_2013/rich_mens_skins_a_social_history_of_armour_by_k_j_parker

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

BurningBeard posted:

Yes! That’s the one. Ten-ish years turned an interesting essay into an interview. Time is weird. Thank you. That other one is fantastic too. I think I’ll do Sharps next. It’s what I’d have gone for absent a suggestion.

Not to deep dive on that essay in something that isn't the military history thread but just to pick the opening paragraphs.

quote:

In ancient Greece, birthplace of democracy, the concept “too poor to fight” would have been universally understood. At some point around 650BC, the Greeks adopted a highly formalised form of warfare, the phalanx. Battles were all the same. The opposing armies, made up of affluent citizens in heavy armour, lined up opposite each other in wide formations five or so ranks deep. They charged, collided, pushed and shoved until one side gave way and ran. They were all armed with spears, but in the cramped conditions of the phalanx, they couldn’t really use them. The spear was held in one hand, overarm; it was over six feet long and weighed three or four pounds. Simply keeping control of the wretched thing, holding it over your head, while shoving and being crushed from both sides by four ranks of strong men must have been some achievement. Striking downwards hard enough to pierce the enemy’s breastplate, using only the arm muscles, must have been practically impossible.

A phalanx battle was a scrum, pure and simple. The side that was bravest and best nourished, and which shoved hardest, won. The other side broke formation and ran—at which point there was room to use weapons, and the fugitives took losses. A wise general didn’t let his soldiers pursue too far, however. The phalanx was as simple and as basic as two stags locking antlers.

is definitely not a settled opinion.

For a completely different take on phalanx warfare I'd look at A Storm of Spears.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storm-Spears-Christopher-Matthew-ebook/dp/B00AHITZHE/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1614768930&sr=8-1

That's just for an example.

He's making a lot of assertions in the rest of that essay that are, shall we say, open to debate.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FPyat posted:

The next Revelation Space book, Inhibitor Phase, has been delayed to October 12, 2021. Really disappointed.

Wait. It's been years since I read it, but wasn't the last one, y'know supposed to be the last one?

I very vaguely recall an x years later epilogue and everything.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 10, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

I'm like 2 chapters in but I'll let you know :haibrower:

so far seems fun even if it's basically just The Martian again

It's on my too read list, and if it's basically "The Martian 2" I would be completely satisfied with that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't bother with any Elric stuff written post the 70's, but the original sweep of stories are great.

If you like them, check out his Corum books as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Young me really liked SLIDERS and the description of the plot of DOORWAYS on wikipedia sounds awful. :colbert:

Also

quote:

GRRM has proven, time
and time again, that he can *produce* decent material out of thin air,
LOL. That's aged well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anybody heard anything about what's going on with Blackgate.com

I got a "This looks dodgy" warning on my pc when I tried to look at it the other day, and now the servers not responding.

Can't find any news and their Twitter hasn't updated since March.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But the line was broken!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

General Battuta posted:

Redemption Ark is one of his best books, also the title is a pun so obvious and terrible I didn't spot it for like ten years.

Oh poo poo!

Looking at the publication date, guess I'm 19 years.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hi, help identify a book time.

From a few years ago.

Fantasy novel

Two lead characters, bit of a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser dynamic going on.

One of them is a golem like character (that used to be human, but was remade)

The other an ex-soldier with a vaguely Janissary type background, including having (if memory serves) a musket.

It starts with them travelling with a caravan that's attacked by basically a wyvern.

Then they get involved with a plot involving a small kingdom being invaded by a larger power and the main plot kicks off from there.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Thanks!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aardvark! posted:

You might like 14 by Peter Clines. Guy moves in to an apartment building. poo poo gets weird.

Then if you like that read The Fold. Then don't read any more of that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well you might like it. :shrug:

I thought the third one so bad I couldn't finish it, and the 4th just mediocre, but hey tastes differ.