Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd enjoy some Stainless Steel Rat movies. Kind of a different thing but hey.

And agreed from a couple pages ago that Raymond Chandler and Pratchett rule, shouts out. And always agree Macross rules, and especially the music of Macross 7 (got me into Yoshiki Fukuyama oh yes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

mewse posted:

I want a good adaptation of Neuromancer. Apple TV are working on one but it might disappoint.

I really love that stuff, the Sprawl shorts, I'm in the middle of Neuromancer right now. I was just thinking the other day how I think maybe it wouldn't be great on film. Like when he describes that guy Angelo on page 59, who looks a bit like a shark, and lots of talk of grafts and these wild faces etc. To me it's almost written like we're not supposed to see it. How cheesy might it be if we did see everything described? By that I mean, the writing sells it like a pulpy world where this is commonplace. An effects heavy movie rendering these characters might have a very different vibe.

Also, kind of like with Chandler, the tight narration and the writing in general, that hard boiled stuff and the beauty of the language. It would all be left out of an adaptation right? So, I'm sure there could be a cool movie/show that happens to be a loose adaptation of Neuromancer, but it doesn't seem like one that jumps out as a great candidate artistically to me. It's in the medium that best suits it I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I know it's all subjective, and for sure a loose adaptation losing a lot of details might be a cool thing as its own work. I was just sharing how I kinda feel these characters looks might be better in imagination, for the tone intended, I dunno.

That said, I think the aesthetics of David Lynch's Dune are great, and I agree with that other poster, I find the look of the new Dune (pt 1) to be pretty uninteresting. But that's all just taste of course. To me this Dune feels very I guess Nolan-y, what is currently considered cool. But I just don't happen to find this current cool to be cool, oh well for me, but I'll still give part 2 a try. Very "bweeeeeeow" trailer sound kind of movie, y'know post Inception kind of trying to be cool thing. Well hey the people dig it, just not my thing I guess. Luck of the draw what director and what vibe a thing will go for.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Seconding Busiek's Conan run, really cool and captures that feeling of wonder, Cary Nord's art is great too. Some of the Truman stuff from Dark Horse also looks cool etc, some solid stuff in Conan comics.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm sure you can, but you often wouldn't. It's one of those things where it might as well be unreviewable do to status, but if his books came out today we'd have the usual divisive reaction with plenty of roasts in the thread I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zore posted:

They do yeah, there's a whole bit where they nudge at the camera about it. Which is even better because it predates the XMen movie by like 2 years

Now that's cool. Chris Claremont should've written a TNG ep.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I use goodreads, my to-read list is around 850+ at the moment. Plus I have lots of graphic novels/comic collections on there, audiobooks too, it could be over 1000 but I'm keeping off some later volumes for after I start a series.

One thing that's funny is re-ordering the list at this point takes a minute to load, and you have to do it on the webpage. The app won't even let you mess with re-ordering it. I do enjoy tinkering with it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's cool to hear. I'm a Ramones guy myself, I can relate to the musical journey there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those first four or whatever Magic Kingdom For Sale books were big favs of mine when I was a kid, I gotta give that to Terry Brooks. It felt a little bit modern and different than Tolkien, I gather Shannara is like you're saying though. My parents happened to be fans of all that stuff as well as Tolkein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jedit posted:

I'm a bit less of a fan of the sequels and I never read the last two in the series, but Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold is top tier light fantasy IMO.

Nice! Plus, it's got a cool dog guy.