Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Goon-written murder mystery in a city beset by the plague, where the protagonist is both the detective and murder victim.

I was sold on mushroom magic, double sold on "solving your own murder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

genericnick posted:

Terfs are some of the dumbest poo poo. I mean even suppose you believe all trans people suffer from some kind of social delusion that just reduces the court cases to something like defending the god-given right to call fat people fat to their face. What has to be wrong with your brain if you don't get this?

I've never seen a terf who wasn't, on some fundamental level, gleefully cruel. It really does come down to "I want to hurt people, I want to make them miserable, and I want to be held above reproach for it because I'm BeInG ScIenTiFic and ReAsOnAbLe"

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

cptn_dr posted:

Take care, General B. Hope things look up soon.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

As someone who also read them in middle-school and loves them a lot: YEP they aged so poorly. They read very much like transcripts of the writer's D&D session with very little nuance.

They pretty much were, weren't they? IIRC, all of the characters were taken straight from Tracy and Laura Hickman's D&D campaign.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't Stephen King pretty much solely to blame for at "magic negro" trope becoming a trope?

IIRC, Green Mile was one of the two big trope-namers there (the other was The Legend of Bagger Vance.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

navyjack posted:

I’m blocked for being a Bernie Bro and a Russian Bot, so why is everyone talking about Chonk Wendigo?

Wendig attracted an army of right-wing haters because he's an SJW who RUINED STAR WARS FOREVER; he also pissed off a lot of Bernie bros who hated his shilling (and cringy mommy fixation) for Warren. A lot of people hate him regardless of politics because he's cringy in general. Then he openly criticized the Internet Archive's unlimited lending program, which has now been shut down. He had nothing to do with the lawsuit and no power to affect it in any way, but he's responsible for it and must die.

Long story short: imagine an army of anime avatars who believe they have a god-given right to never pay for books, already hate Wendig, and are immune to the most basic forms of logic. They want a pound of flesh for IA shutting down and it's going to be his because they say so.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Also yeah Cline is going to town DMCA'ing basically everyone posting any screenshots of his prose period

I read that bit about Wade proudly crushing people who said mean things about him on the internet, and thought maybe it was a setup for some kind of big redemption arc, like maybe he descends into Notch-level assholery and madness but finds a way out and becomes a better person.

Nope, Cline just wishes he could do that poo poo.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

fritz posted:

Looks as if Jon del Arroz is the head rear end in a top hat in question.

You could name pretty much anyone in SF but Larry Correia or Vox Day being harassed, and "Jon del Arroz is the head rear end in a top hat in question" would not give me a second of surprise.

He's been a relentlessly horrible piece of poo poo for years, desperately chasing that alt-right dollar but as far as I can tell, not getting it, and tripping over his own clown shoes every time he tries to pull a "gotcha" and nail those horrible SJWs.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

rollick posted:

I don't think it gets said enough: pradmer rules for posting those deals every day.

Agreed. Thanks, pradmer! I have saved a ton of money and grown my mountain of unread books to untenable size at the same time. can't stop, will never stop.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

multijoe posted:

For a cancelled show Carnivale still got a pretty good ending imo

It's a good ending in hindsight. If you were watching it at the time, the ending was OH poo poo THIS IS ABOUT TO GET GOOD followed by a cancellation announcement.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Jedit posted:

E: wait, what? There were Gor movies? :stonk:

Two of them, and IIRC they were rated PG.

PG. Gor.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

breadnsucc posted:

the amount of money they were paid in advance by their publishing company i'm assuming, then if you read their books for 'free', and they aren't poo poo books that should be tossed into a fire or whatever I suspect, and I don't know, I'm just guessing here you can do this fancy thing called send money and in this crazy insane world of ours there are so many fancy ways to give money to people without also giving money to predatory publishers and distributors

Please tell us about the writers you've done this with. How much money did you send to each of them, and how did you arrange said transfer?

(Bonus question: do you know why the money paid is called an "advance"? More specifically, if a writer is paid an advance but nobody buys the book, due to dickheads pirating it, do you know what happens next?)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

rofl
no, warhorse, drat you autocorrect

Now I really want to read a novel about a paladin of the God of Trade, who seeks to grow an ethical and sustainable business.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

ianmacdo posted:

I have a question for some of you sci-fi historians here.
In K W Jeter's novel Noir, in the author section there is this
An essay on the copyright issues raised in his novel NOIR can be located at http://www.europa.com/~jeter/copyrights.html

But it that site doesn't exist anymore and my google skills are not up to finding it anywhere. I am curious to know more of his beliefs because of the weird contradiction here.

His views may have changed since, but I remember an interview at the time where he came across as being so obsessed with book piracy that "core pirates' brains so they can suffer literal eternal torture for the crime of violating copyright" (or at least execute them) was his personal fantasy.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Selachian posted:

Yeah, it includes some really good stories ... and then there's Piers Anthony's "In the Barn."

You made me remember "In the Barn" and now I have to raid my liquor cabinet and drink myself blind on a work night, THANKS.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

uber_stoat posted:

dear penthouse, the chicken-that-was-not-a-chicken pecked me right square on the dick and you'll never believe what happened next...

Your dick led a libertarian revolution?

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Neil Gaiman for transphobia

When TERFs were trying to pretend Terry Pratchett would have been on their side, Neil Gaiman was one of the first people to stand up and say "No, he was my friend and I knew his views, and he absolutely wasn't a loving transphobe." (Paraphrased, obvs)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Count Thrashula posted:

Recent discussion about how Simmons and Rothfuss are turds, and previous knowledge about how Orson Scott Card is a mega turd, got me thinking...

Which fantasy writers out there are certified super cool people in real life?

Met Sanderson twice at cons, and he was universally gracious and kind. One of those times he was REALLY clearly stressed out as gently caress about something but making a real effort to give everybody face-time and not let it affect the signing, even preemptively apologizing to people for seeming stressed.

StonecutterJoe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 29, 2022

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

zoux posted:

What, like how the mysterious Daniel and Marty from the end of Chapterhouse are actually secret cymek titans that were able to hide from humanity for 20k years? No, that’s just cruel.

Put your hand in the box. Put it in there right goddamned now.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

RDM posted:

I haven't read any of his social media but it seems unlikely it's worse then ilium / olympos

Narrator: "It was so much worse."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

GhastlyBizness posted:

This does appear to be Tyson. I’ve not read them but he does seem to incorporate Cthulhu stuff into his magical practices elsewhere.

That said, there doesn’t appear to be anything in the Necronomicon that looks like actual practice, you know? No “here’s how you draw on Azathoth for your own health and well-being” or similar. There’s a lot that shows off a familiarity with the history of western esotericism/the occult but even there it’s all written in a pretty wry tone with a lot of black humour. It’s much more of a Lovecraftian piece, with a focus on Alhazred being a sociopathic shithead Volo/Xanathar figure who’s written a gazetteer, rather than something more obviously focusing on the author’s own beliefs, if you like.

There's also the classic 80s Necronomicon which iirc is still in print, which was written by a lunatic who calls himself "Simon" (though he insists that he just did some editing and this is the real honest to goodness and totally true book straight out of Lovecraft. It's an entertaining read, though clearly written as a deliberate hoax (lots of the spells are left deliberately incomplete, so readers can't even try to recreate them) The repeated warnings that this book is so gonna curse you, for real, you're totally doomed now, are wonderfully over the top.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

Wow, that's somehow exactly what I would have expected Koontz to look like judging only from his appearance on Midnight Pals.

I'm expecting him to start crying because someone says they don't like dogs.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
Lackey's Diana Tregarde books are some prime urban fantasy early cheese. Heroic Wiccans against evils like...people who read Aleister Crowley books, because Wiccans are everything good and pure and Crowley fans are predatory evil. (Bonus: Lackey had to stop writing the series not because of sales, but because some RL Wiccans thought the books were real and went into insane stalker mode on her.)

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

mllaneza posted:

b]by Klono's tungsten teeth and curving carballoy balls[/b]

But Smith couldn't have gotten that published.

I misread this as curving catboy balls

And Smith definitely could not have gotten that published, but I would read it

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

General Battuta posted:

Hello thread. My first book in four years is out today. It is called EXORDIA.

Congrats!! I hope it feels great (and sells great), looking forward to diving into it this weekend!

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

General Battuta posted:

The Bye Bye Man

Don't Think It Don't Say It Don't Watch It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's a movie, very underrated imo.

Super underrated. It was based on a comic series but when I tried to track it down after watching the film, I found a ton of reviews pointing out that they've got practically nothing to do with the movie.