Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

quantumfoam posted:

the details finally leaking out of how Jerry Pournelle lost his ARPANET access forever.

http://www.stormtiger.org/bob/humor/pournell/list.html

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man I’m on a KJ Parker roll now.

Finished Academic Exercises overnight and am halfway though 16 Ways to Defend a Walled City. Both in the same fun tone, reminds me of a cross between Cudgel’s Saga, Eric Frank Russell, and the good parts of Stephenson (the joyous nerditry).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, good point. But think of the Hammer books as less "noir" and more "hard boiled" or "pulp detective".
It's a fuzzy line, some of the best Hammers have him being an incredibly repulsive person, which seems more noir to me. I'd put Chester Himes in the same category (please no noir jokes) as the world they live in is ROUGH.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ed balls balls man posted:

I bounced straight off Nophek Gloss. It went from 0 to 60 with all the character descriptions/backgrounds into the first planet and more cultural/race descriptions I just immediately forgot everything that had happened and lost all interest. Worth another try?

Disagree, above average, good try.

A great editor could’ve made it a great book. It was such a near miss that it was almost painful.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ed balls balls man posted:

agreed

Has anyone read Persephone Station by Stina Leicht? It's the next item on my wishlist I keep coming back to.

Highly recommend Steel Frame by Andrew Skinner. One of the best mecha novels i've read, with a play on big corporations with a hint of Evangelion/40K.

Bought then wondered why. Read Cry Pilot instead.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

a foolish pianist posted:

So I read Hurley's The Stars Are Legion after seeing it recommended in this thread, and I'm a bit confused about it (maybe because I've binged it while doped up on cold medicine). First, the first few sentences of the amazon blurb:

The book is pretty intense with body horror imagery reminiscent of stuff like Cronenberg's Existenz...

Book owns, I’d pay full price again 3 times for something this weird and awesome.

You are kidding yourself if you think the future will not be weird.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
poo poo Borne is $2.99 now on us kindle.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ccs posted:

Haha it’s organized differently than the cryptarchs who actually have an incentive for remaining part...
I read the entire trilogy this weekend (and accomplished little else). The ending is smart and logical and painful and makes sense. It doesn’t work emotionally the same way a climactic battle would, but it’s RIGHT.

Also, it’s the closest I’ve ever found to an anti-war fantasy novel series.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but I'm curious where people place Baru on the speculative fiction axes. I've only read Traitor so far, and to me it seems like alt-historical-dystopian fiction with no (?) fantastical elements whatsoever, but I'm pretty certain I found it under the fantasy heading.

Yeah they are perfectly under the ‘grim dark’ aka somewhat real KJ Parker / Abercrombie axis. This is a genre that’s new to me but is resonating hard due to the ‘alt-historical’ aspect, I mean for crissake cocaine as magic powder and banking or coal-powered factories as satanic nightmare fuel both ring pretty true.

As does my favorite non-Gibson/Pynchon opening line:

quote:

“To Saevus Andrapodiza, all human life had value. This revelation came to him in a moment of transcendent clarity as he looked out from the summit of Mount Doson over the fertile arable plains of Cors Shenei in central Permia. Every man, woman and child, regardless of age, ability, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or social class was valuable and must be treated as such. His task, he realised, was finding someone to buy them all.”

— The Two of Swords: Volume Three by K. J. Parker

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ccs posted:

I was actually wondering how much economic vetting went into the Baru Cormorant books...
Ugh I’m clogging up this thread but economics as a field isn’t a science and is full of shitheads, even compared to actual sciences. I’ve discussed the brain trauma parts of these books with an actual brain scientist, and he loved it, so I’m sure the Econ parts are OK. It did make me miss cocaine, but I suspect that’s good writing and my own problems.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My dad was a super Heinlein fan and looking back I wonder what the gently caress he was thinking letting me read some of that poo poo at that age.
Yeah, I remember some parts of Friday clearly despite reading it at I dunno 12 but not any rape(s). I do remember WTFing about Sixth Column and the ray that only kills uh ‘Asiatics’. And how long-haired boys and short-haired girls will be treated the same way. And now I’m remembering a bunch of other related fiction that would have me and my family shoveled into ovens if the ray didn’t work, so gently caress Heinlein, Pournelle, Campbell, and a bunch a related cocksuckers. Also gently caress Asimov for the way he groped women, and Ellison for laughing about it, and this hobby sucks and I remember why I stopped reading this.

Edit: Battuta you’re cool.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Doctor Jeep posted:

there's even a happy ending
Considering they one-upped not just Thanos in death but also Pol Pot in creating a Year Zero. And hitler in a leibestraum creation, repopulated by literal slaves.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FPyat posted:

I've read eight out of nine stories in Exhalation, Ted Chiang's second story collection. I'm coming out of these stories a lot more impressed than I was with Stories of Your Life, which had well-constructed stories that felt a bit lifeless in the final accounting.

Anything that guy does is worthwhile, but I have noticed the stories I think about are from Exhalation. Except for the ones that are by George Saunders.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

eke out posted:

feels like the rarity lately is queer male protagonists

not that i'm calling for more male main characters in scifi/fantasy lol, but i do think there's the classic male gazey "gay women are hot, gay men are gross" tendency you see in other media that sff isn't exempt from and probably influences publishing to some extent

Very true that there’s potential for this, but mainly IMO it’s the explosion of female characters and queer acceptability. I do note though that there was one now forgotten KU book written first person from a female POV so well that I assumed the writer was a woman. Then the sex started, and it made me check the cover to see “Oh, writer is fat middle-aged white guy with a beard (that’s isn’t me)”.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

I think it's very often taken as implied that any man writing about lesbians is a cishet straight guy, certainly. That's a mental default that does need to change.
If my earlier comment implied that, sorry, but as a cishet guy it’s obvious when the gay hot lady fantasy takes over, and it stinks and is terribly distracting. It’s not that it’s wrong to write a character that’s different than you are, but when you switch a character that I’ve been living in/with into a 90’s Penthouse pictorial subject it’s jarring and alienating.

Your work is not like this for what it’s worth.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Apparently I bought blacktongue thief already, but not sure if I like that dude or wanna hit him with a 2x4. Prolly both.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve spent months frantically reading to catch up with this thread, and the (surprise-new-author - not- murderbot) winners are Brothers Grossbart, Gunmetal Gods, and Theory of Bastards.

It’s really astonishing how much great writing is out there, both Gunmetal Gods and Theory of Bastards are on KU:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
High fantasy: only the king and his heirs matter.
Low fantasy: who is the king this year?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Armauk posted:

I'm in the mood for some fantasy. Help me decide...

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

Do it, I bounced off some random Abercrombie a couple years ago, then picked this up when I read it was gonna be Sam Raimi’s post-Spider-Man series movie. That didn’t happen but now I’ve ripped through all of his books since quarantine.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ccs posted:

Cool stuff
After some review it was the first few pages of Best Served Cold that left me uninterested in Abercrombie for a couple of years, and I while I later finished and enjoyed it, I think it’s actually his least interesting book, even though he usually improves visibly at each publication.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Wandering down the Pournelle rat hole turned up a great parody of his Chaos Manor series that ran in Byte. I have a vague recollection of reading this at my dads house when I was probably 12 or so.

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/95q1/jpreviews.html

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

quantumfoam posted:

least effort expended John Scalzi happened around that time, and least effort expended John Scalzi is never ever leaving.
This is loving spectacular.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

SimonChris posted:

If we are talking self-published SF, I would like to recommend goon-written Hard Luck Hank, which is the best kind of self-published fiction: A pile of crazy ideas thrown haphazardly together in ways that would never make it past an editor but is extremely entertaining to read.

This reminds me of the novels in the 50’s & 60’s that were a buncha short stories crammed into a novel via hook or crook. Read the first 3.5 then got bored, but it was fun for a while.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Partial to Crash since I think about it a lot more but there aren’t really any wrong answers, Empire is amazing but I suspect I missed a lot. Dolan talked about it in a recent Radio War Nerd so I might pick it up again, something about the protofascist in young men that I don’t recall - or didn’t get.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It’s just their free ebook of the month program

:boom:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Vance's Cudgel/Dying Earth is fantastic, and seems incredibly contemporary, I was shocked to find it dated back to the 50's.

Finally reading the only virgin trilogy left from thread fave JK Parker, the Scavenger series, and it's frigging awesome and and a radical step forward. First novel reminds me a lot of the Wolfe The Book of the New Sun, second book is like one of those Wolfe or Vance books where they design a new society wholesale, plus the New Sun stuff continued from the first book and a little Parker blacksmithing thrown in for luck. Just started #3, so really curious where this goes.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, if you're lucky. If you're unlucky it gets noticed.
drat, better preemptively cancel yourself instead of turning in that YA trilogy!

Also, can you please cancel my comedy act so I get famous? Thx.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I needed to learn to read for detail, and slowly, in college. Reading plot-driven fiction is early different than reading Kierkegaard. Very often , most recently with Harrow the Ninth, if I find myself barreling forwards, I back up and reread pages slowly, luxuriant in the language.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Looks like first RCN book is free today, and a bunch of Mary Gentle stuff is on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4HAI2I?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks
Complete Ash? https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Secret-H...xt%2C104&sr=1-2

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Selachian posted:

I wonder how they chose the books for that collection. Elric of Melniboné, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, and The Weird of the White Wolf were all written in the 60s/70s, and The Fortress of the Pearl was written almost 25 years later.

As a Moorcock fan, I have to admit the early Elric books can be pretty rocky going, but he does improve rapidly.
Yeah, I'd say Moorcock is the best scifi writer that collaborated with Kilmister. Nominative determinism and all...

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Well that sounds like a hoot & a holler :prepop:

I'm kind of reminded of my recent read of 84K,...
$2 on US Kindle today.
https://www.amazon.com/84K-Claire-N...ps%2C311&sr=8-2

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

in the same week a big corporate entity makes hundreds of millions off your work without paying you a cent.
??

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

General Battuta posted:

e: much like the way corporations treat the writers they crunch to death and discard
Oh poo poo just got off Wikipedia (I'm not in it, just on it), you went to U of C and are in any way surprised a PhiDelt hosed you over?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
From Wikipedia, I learned that during (some of) my time at U of C Jones and Seropian were in this frat:

I had unpleasant conversations with members a couple of times.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ccs posted:

I always get this and the 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle confused. Anyway I picked this one up. If I don't like it maybe I'll try the other one.
I now own both, thanks to compulsive clicking on everything in this thread that's on sale. Maybe someday I'll read a book instead of obsessing over Twitter & SA.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On the other hand, Chengdu is probably the coolest big city in China.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pradmer posted:

Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0831QRN8T/
This is cute and fun and well worth :tenbux:/5.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pradmer posted:

Artifact Space by Miles Cameron - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092DV697H/
This is hella fun, somehow both conventional and odd, really episodic the way that the old novels-made-of-recycled-short-stories were.

Contemplating skipping an hour of work to get through another week's episode (kinda feels a TV show with an overarching plot yet with monsters-of-the-week).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On the second page owns.

Edit: 5 stars.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 9, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mllaneza posted:

Just... Don't let that direction be Ash: A Secret History, which is notably worse than the Paks books.

Goddamn just paid full price for these in a whim.

Based on comments on this thread and wanting some KU crap I’ve been reading Cassandra Kresnov series and it’s above average, with the second book having some really nice paragraphs. With stuff like this, as opposed to, say, Baru or Gideon, the good writing stands out, it’s only expected to move the plot along.

Halfway through the third with the second a highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m looking for a book like Imajica by Clive Barker. Maybe something in between Imajica and you know, “normal” fantasy

Books of Blood. There also an early Landsdale collection I can’t find online at the moment.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2022