Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Children of Time, Seveneves (kind of), Aurora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's good, read it. It's no Jonathan Strange tho.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Posted by the general Himself.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

awesmoe posted:

what does this even mean?

Exactly what it sounds like.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah, trains.

The Conductor Baru Cormorant

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Nazis in my sci-fi forum? It’s more likely than you think!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It wasn't that great IMO.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Gay Bean posted:

Has anyone read Red Rising? I tend to like non-FTL solar system stuff but something about the Amazon product page has always thrown me off. Worth reading?

I quit it pretty early in since I thought it started like a mediocre video game / RPG novelization.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

This doscussion is only reinforcing my opinion that the Culture books are for nerds who want to masturbate about the ideas therein rather than anything about the books or story themselves.

Well this is the sci-fi thread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This is the first and only KSR book I've read and it was great. There is a passage from it that stuck with me which I can't find a direct transcription of from googling. Essentially it's the narrator listing the various parts of an animal down to the bones and the delight in which his ice age tribe consumes each of them. Equally fascinating, hilarious and nauseating.

You should read Red Mars.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Velius posted:

Creating realistic descriptions of characters using a third person viewpoint is really turgid, he thinks, as he gazes at his slightly protruding “dad bod” in the mirror. A few days in the gym and he could be a few steps up on the competition at the night club scene, he smirks, as he flexes his abs, and turns sideways, squinting critically. Maybe do some squats and work on that rear end more, he reflects, as he gives himself a quick slap to check for firmness.

Are you surveilling me??

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I started Unconquerable Sun but the first 50 pages are just characters reeling off massive, dense exposition dumps. Does it get any better? This is the worst job of “show don’t tell” that I’ve seen in a while.

Edit: it’s even more jarring coming off after Two of Swords where you are deliberately told almost nothing until the very end.

withak fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 25, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/70sscifi/status/1345503827894566912

I'm loling at the throught process that could have led to someone thinking that a skeleton in a space suit would make a good cover for Dune.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You just have to change your address then change it back. I use 10 Downing Street.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

I know I am years late to the party but I blew through Traitor Baru Cormorant in a day and am now pretty bummed, but in a good way

Keep going there are a few more.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doctor Jeep posted:

whoever like this "forces of dark and light battle in the mundane world" type of thing should check out carnivale (tv show)

Hope u like blue balls tho

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok now everyone stop responding to the troll.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

This might have been posted already, but I really liked this disturbing short story in the tone of a Wikipedia article which describes the first human being to upload their consciousness to a computer:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

Well this is going to be bothering me for a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

This was a fun read! Not super serious, just a fun wizard book, which is exactly what I was in the mood for. Nice job!

Seconding this. Always good to have more fun wizard books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I managed to drag it out to two days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:siren: New Murderbot is out :siren:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Steerswoman is very good indeed and maybe, someday, we'll even get that last book in the series

I just blasted through all four of these in a little over a week, and then googled to learn that that the most recent one was published in 2004. :sigh:

On the plus side, I also learned that the first one was written in 1989, which I absolutely would not have guessed because it has not aged a minute. The list of 1980s scifi/fantasy that doesn't make you cringe at least a little bit in the year 2021 is not long.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Aardvark! posted:

not in the U.S. :rip:

Change your default address in Amazon to 9 Downing Street and then you can order it. Switch back after ordering.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

uber_stoat posted:

i'll read on my phone if i'm making GBS threads on the clock, otherwise no thanks.

And I can’t pretend I am handling important communications at my desk via my phone if I have a book in my hand.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pradmer posted:

The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost #1) by CL Clark - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDX8KZ5/
Some have said this is like Baru Cormorant.

:raise: A bold claim.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You always pay a price.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Narmi posted:

There's also We Have Always Lived On Mars, which is a Tor short story from 2013.

I hope this is a We Have Always Lived In The Castle reference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if the golems are unionized.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fighting Trousers posted:

I love Libby, but its one week due dates kill me. I'm a pretty fast reader, but c'mon!

It's three weeks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ccs posted:

Susanna Clarke. If you need a short book, Piranesi. If you’re okay with a door stopper, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Alternate approach: read both, they are good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

buffalo all day posted:

they are nice discussion prompts too. good posts, very nice

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

The Steerswoman series by Rosemary Kirstein, which I'm recommending in the futile hope that enough interest will enable her to quit her day job and write full time.

These are great, but #4 came out in 2004 and she hasn’t written anything since so don’t hold your breath.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not fantasy, but if Norse stuff trips your trigger then you have no excuse to not read The Long Ships.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Copernic posted:

well the new neal stephenson is out

jesus christ

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought he said that Seveneves was the result of a "What if the moon exploded?" prompt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Video game fans ruin everything they touch.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You just say that a wizard did it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a similar technique for writing. Asking for a friend.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

(They still didn't give me the ten dollars)

Lesson learned: just mail back the disgusting soiled items and busted glass if they want them so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pretty much every genre of amateur fiction available on the internet has a noticeable fraction of it being veteran-oriented these days. Maybe they have time on their hands and issues to work through?