Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

PriorMarcus posted:

Which is the one you can't stand?

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Tarnop posted:

I think they meant which viewpoint

Ugh, sorry guys, wasn’t quite awake this morning.

Couldn’t stand the spider chapters. If I have to read the words Understandings or Palps one more drat time…

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

StumblyWumbly posted:

To each their own, but I remember 3BP having a compelling and odd mystery, but horribly, laughably flat characters and it replaced thoughtfulness with cynicism (more so in the later books). Children of Time is not perfect but it is the far side of the world from that.

I agree that 3rd had basically zero characterization but all the big idea stuff made up for it for me. Even the human characters in Children of Time didn’t land for me, it all felt just as flat as 3bp, if not more so!

Edit: I’m also realizing that I might just hate spiders so much in real life that it’s ruined the books for me.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I read the Three Body Problem trilogy and really liked it. I looked up recommendations for similar series, and saw that Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a pretty common recommendation, so I gave it a try....

Man, do I hate this book. Outside of the first chapter it really hasn't grabbed me at all. Without spoiling anything, the book changes viewpoints every other chapter and I can't stand one of them. Overall I just find the characterizations really dull and don't really care what happens to anyone.

Anyone have any other recommendations if I liked 3BP?

Ok, so i've queued up samples of a few books folks recommended here, along with others I found randomly searching around. Will report back if any stick:
  • Diaspora - Greg Egan
  • Permutation City - Greg Egan
  • Hyperion - Dan Simmons
  • Revelation Space - Alastair Reynolds
  • Blindsight - Peter Watts
  • Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke
  • Forge of God - Greg Bear

PLEASE let me know if any of the above contain spiders.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Awkward Davies posted:

This is a good list that will enable you to take part in any number of endlessly running arguments about some of those books.

….

Oh no

Edit to add actual content:
Welp, I hope some of them are good books too!

I also added Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir since that might be a little less intense than the others.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m a a few chapters (about 25%) into Greg Egan’s Permutation City. I like it so far but I’m really not sure I fully understand what’s going on. I’m considering starting over and taking notes. Is that crazy? I’m reading just before I go to sleep so maybe I’m just forgetting stuff.