Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Can someone recommend me a good sci-fi book to listen to at work? Preferably a series/trilogy or something. I just finished up The Expanse recently, and the last 2 books I've tried I've bounced off hard and I'm getting a little frustrated. I tried Brent Weeks Night Angel because I like Sanderson, but that book is incredibly cringe, I dunno how else to describe it. Then I went for some more sci fi, and grabbed the graphic audio version of Moon's Vatta series, and that one just seems boring, plus the voice actor for the main character sounds like Ash from the pokemon cartoon which is distracting. I'm not normally too picky, I even like trashy type stuff like Peter Hamilton. Any kind of sci-fi with decent world building and some sort of big science mystery would be cool, like The Expanse or Revelation Space. I tried The Culture and bounced off it for some reason, but I think that was mainly just because it wasn't working for me too well in audio format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I'm still reading through Stormlight at night, so I figured I would go with another sci-fi to listen to at work. But I'm down with fantasy suggestions too.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Has anyone read A Requiem for Homo Sapiens series by David Zindell? I was googling around and found a 3 year old thread of people talking about it and I'm interested. However what I need to know is if I want to get the audiobook or just read it normally. Basically is it something super dense or complicated that I might have a hard time of keeping track to while I listen at work? Something like Malazan or Blindsight I'd consider kind of bad for listening to. Stuff like Abercromie, Sanderson, The Expanse, etc I do just fine with though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just finished up Kings of Heaven by Richard Nell which was the last in a 3 part series. I really enjoyed it, and it was one of those series that leaves you feeling depressed and empty afterward. Finished up First Law before that one too, same feeling. Another one I really liked was Licanius Trilogy.

Right now I started The Magic of Recluse, partially because it has Graphic Audio versions which I usually really like. While the world and plot seems like it could definitely be interesting and have potential, the writing seems pretty bad. The character has reacted to everything by calling it "boring" more times than I can count. And never with differing descriptions, it's always that exact same word. Boring. Maybe the author is trying to put you in the characters shoes by boring you with the prose? And they just react with a sense annoyed apathy to some very major things that have happened to him so far, and it's honestly off putting. Do these books get better? Now that the character is "out in the world" (purposely being vague so nothing can be considered a spoiler) it does seem to be picking up a little at least, but I'm lukewarm at best about it.

Also any suggestions are welcome for good stuff I can listen to. Preferably a series, as I would like to stick around in another world with the same characters for a while so I can be depressed again when I finish up. I generally don't like urban fantasy, and prefer good ole swords/magic/weird poo poo stuff, at least that's what I'm still in the mood for. Already read the obvious stuff like Sanderson/Martin/Abercrombie. Good characters and world building are a plus! If there's any kind of mystery/reveals/plot twists, all the better.

e: I've also read, and absolutely loved Robin Hobb.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 9, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Have you read Malazan? I'd say it's a bit weirder than your Martin/Sanderson/Abercrombie stuff, but it's one of those series that if it clicks for you, it'll click hard. Plus there's 10+ books of it, and I think they all have audiobook versions.

I'm aware of it, and it's definitely on my to read list. But I'm not so sure about tackling it in audiobook format where I listen while at work. I tried to read it before, and I had to have that cliff notes equivalent website that someone made for it to even understand what was going on.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I think I'm definitely going to put Recluse down. I just find it too off putting, plus I don't tend to care much for first person narratives, and prefer a cast of different characters POVs.

I saw a few people say Crown of Stars by Kate Elliot is pretty good, can anyone vouch for that? I've got a 10 hour shift tomorrow and would like a decent book to carry me through.

I also haven't read Chalion yet, and while Bujold's Vorkosigan saga didn't really capture my attention from a world/story point of view, I remember the writing being pretty good. Not sure what type of story Chalion is going to fall into though.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've read book 1 and half of book 2 in Crown of Stars and it's very well-written. Lots of good, interesting details and it's a fascinating version of fantasy Europe.

That said -

- book 1 contains a graphic depiction of an abusive relationship, and while she does eventually escape it, getting there had me sobbing while reading.
- things get worse before they get better, in various places. part of why I dropped book 2 was because I realized I wasn't up to the emotional labor of reading it at the time. this was a few years back and I was in the middle of COVID funk, so, y'know.

Worth a look but go in prepared!

e: Speaking of, have you read anything by Michelle Sagara-West?

Thanks, I think I'll give Crown of Stars a go. I've heard of West, I remember people saying she had like a fantasy Asia series that was pretty good.

e: On second thought, I might try The Broken Crown instead by West.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 11, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
e: nm

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
So I wound up finishing the first Recluce book since I didn't have a lot left and yeah, it was pretty meh. There wasn't much plot for real, and the world wasn't all that interesting nor were the characters or even the prose.

I started the first Sun Sword book at work, and I didn't have time to get far in. But I'm feeling wary because I no poo poo sit through about 20 minutes of the narrator listing off a giant list of names, most of them sounding all alike which concerns me this is going to be an impossible story to follow on audiobook. I did get a short ways into the actual story, and the prose seemed easy enough to understand at least. Is the character glossary at the beginning just for nerd reasons, or am I going to have a really hard time following this book? Which in case I need a backup I might could use some more recommendations for a good fantasy series. Either a good plot, characters, world building, as long as something about it is good. I've already read and liked all the well known stuff. Abercrombie, Sanderson, Martin, Wheel of Time, Licanius Trilogy, John Gwynne, the Osten Ard books, all good stuff. In fact I prefer books with multiple POV characters, that little glossary thing at the front of Sun Sword just seemed a little intimidating.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2022

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I need a suggestion. A while back I started listening to The Broken Crown(The Sun Sword) at work. Kind of a tough read, overall I enjoy it and that whole world, but it's hard to follow. Today I finished up the second book, The Uncrowned King. However, I recently realized it's a whole universe and the suggested order is this https://electrapritchett.com/2019/07/15/the-michelle-west-novels-suggested-reading-order/

So it starts with House War part 1, then another 2 books which is basically the same story from what I understand and a lot of people skip those 2.

Do I really need to go back for those first House War books though? I feel like with how tough these books can be to read, by the time I get back to Sun Sword, I'll be lost. I reckon I could just go in order from where I'm at, and then when I finish the whole series up, if I have interest, I can treat the first part of the House War books as a sort of prequel if I want more of that universe.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Getting close to finishing up The Aching God which is the first book in Iconoclasts. What it's about, the type of content, all that stuff is my jam. I like when fantasy has a serious vibe, hosed up magic poo poo and stuff like that going on. Especially a good mystery too. While I don't think this book is bad, something about it is weird I can't put my finger on. Like the book just doesn't care that all this stuff is going on and being excessively matter of fact about it, if that makes sense. Do the next 2 books get any better in that regard or are they basically the same?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Just finished up the first Red Rising audiobook today. I wasn't aware it was a hunger gamey sort of book which really isn't my thing normally, but it was still pretty entertaining and I'd rate it a solid 7/10. Also at the end of the audiobook they did a really cool rendition of the forbidden song that I almost missed which was also cool as hell and retroactively made me like the book better. I heard the next book turns more into spaceships sort of deal and more of a regular sci-fi book, is that true? If so I think I'll probably like it better, that's kind of what I was expecting with the first one. Definitely going to give it a go next time I'm at work.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Everyone posted:

It's pretty much Star Wars Hunger Games. If you liked the first book, you'll likely enjoy the rest of the first trilogy. The second trilogy starting with Iron Gold is a somewhat different beast. In the first trilogy the characters are plucky teen rebels fighting against the system. In the second trilogy they have to deal with all the messy, difficult consequences of what they did in the first trilogy. It's a more adult take on things - and not in the "along with blood and guts we get to see titties, too!" sense. It's more about growing all the way and taking responsibility.

Sounds good to me. It's kind of hard to explain, but I've never really been invested in books just because of action or whatever, I like it when stuff happens and you know there are going to be consequences to it, it gives a real "what's going to happen next?" vibe. That felt a little lacking in this book. Like in this book When Darrow decided to start loving up the proctors, I just knew he wouldn't actually get in any real trouble for it and they'd come down to congratulate him at the end

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm just here to rant a little. I've seen The Forgetting Moon by Brian Durfee mentioned a lot lately. I got the audiobook and I think I'm about 25% through it and it seems kind of not good. I generally like books with either a good page turning plot, or with interesting characters that will tug at my emotions or even just good world building. This book seems really dry and just a bunch of people without personalities upset with each other over not being the right religious denomination, and the religion itself is boring as hell too. One person compared it to ASOIAF and that's partly why I'm annoyed, I was expecting something good since I typically like most stuff that has a lot of good recommendations. This book reminds me more of Crown of Stars which I DNF'd. ASOIAF was pretty immediately interesting from what I remember, and the characters all stood out from each other.

All that said, sometimes books just suck at first especially long epics, so is there a chance the characters here will grow on me or should I just move on? I might keep listening one more day at work tomorrow and decide then I suppose.

I just finished up Bone Ships before this which I liked a lot, very bittersweet ending. I might try that other series the same author has if this book doesn't work out.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 8, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Guys, I started reading the first book in Coldfire, Black Sun Rising, and I like it, it seems pretty good, but I am hopelessly confused about the worldbuilding and magic and stuff. I don't think it needs spoilers but I will anyway, I'm about 30% into the first book for anyone else reading -

So, what's the deal with "night" and it being dangerous? Firstly, it seems like there might be a regular night, and then a sort of more rare "night" that only happens sometimes? Sometimes the book will act like people absolutely need to be inside and warded up, then other times people are out and about all casual? There was even that one town that wasn't able to have wards but it seemed to be doing just fine.

The forest. That first main city they were in, it acted like "the forest" was kind of a super magical, super dangerous unknown type of place. But then when they begin their quest and they are traveling and speaking with Gerald, the spooky forest man(I listen to audiobooks so I may mess up names) he mentioned something about trade and goods from the forest. Is there an established civilized society in the forest or something?

What is "the core"? is it just the milky way starlight? It seems like all the stars go away sometimes. This might be that "special night" they seemed to allude to, but I'm not sure. I could be mixed up.

There were a couple of other things in regards to the fae/magic system in general that I was confused about yesterday, but I forgot the details. I'm definitely not really sure the difference between sorcerers and adepts and stuff. From what I can glean, it seems there is only just the one kind of magic, the fae.

Am I missing obvious things or does the book do a poor job of explaining this stuff at first? Normally I can find read alongs, or even wikis to figure stuff out, but there's nothing good out there for this series.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm back looking for more fantasy suggestions. I have a hard time explaining why I like or dislike books, I often don't even really know myself. But I'll just list some books at the end I really liked, and ones that frustrated me and do my best. I definitely prefer a series of some sort because it takes me a bit to get invested and I hate when a book ends. I'd say I really just need to find the book interesting. I like books with really good interesting characters. Or if not that, just a really interesting plot or world is good too! I just feel like a lot of books don't do any of it particularly good. Also needs to be available as an audiobook since this is for listening at work.

Some books I've read lately that I don't really want to continue(although if someone says they get better I might give it a shot again)

The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campagins #1)
It wasn't an awful read or anything but I found it not very compelling. I don't think the world was fleshed out too much and the plot was really basic. I was pretty boring in the first half, then some fantasy stuff happened in the second half. It was a little more interesting at first, but just didn't feel fleshed out at all. The characters were just merely okay, nothing really set them apart too much. The main Colonel guy was alright, I liked him. I don't really have a big desire to read the next book, but might if I can't think of anything better. I'll rate it a generous 3/5.

The Promise of Blood (Powdermage #1)
I don't have a thing for flintlock fantasy, the last book just made me immediately think of this one. Kind of the same gripe as The Thousand Names. I'd say it was a bit better though. That Adam guy was a neat character, but the world just doesn't feel captivating. The way they handled the crazy thing at the end was lame after building up to it. Holy crap they summoned a god! What the crap, oh I guess this guy is a pretty good musket shooter and can like, make the ball go fast and far with his ball magic, he can just shoot the god. technically, I know that's not the resolution of the whole series, but meh. The characters were alright, but not really that interesting. As I mentioned earlier I need either the characters, the plot or the world to be gripping! 3/5

Crown of Stars #1
I don't remember the first book name. It's been a while but I remember a lot of infodump type stuff, especially in regard to the religion. This isn't always a bad thing in general if what you are infodumping is in regard to something interesting going on, but it was dreadfully boring. The narrator for the audiobook also grated a bit which didn't help. I didn't finish, I think I made it maybe halfway? So I won't rate this one.

The Belgariad #1
It's been a really long time since I tried reading this but I'm listing it because it's a prime example of what I don't like. It's a very basic "safe" saturday morning cartoon type story, or it came off that way to me. Basic story, PG rated feel, bad at making me feel like there's any stakes to care about. I remember the main kid in the story got kidnapped by the bad guy, but I didn't care because I knew nothing really bad or messed up was going to happen. Just had to wait on the rescue. I don't necessarily have to have an ultra grimdark book or anything, but I prefer a more adult feel I guess. Also gently caress the Eddings. 0/5 author.

I could probably think up more stuff I didn't like, but I'm going to move it on to some recent reads I really liked, and I know there's probably more similar stuff out there!

The First Law, all books
loving excellent. A good example about how as long as something in the book is really good, I'll like it. The world building wasn't all that impressive, at least at first. And the plots weren't super crazy. But the characters, and their interactions and all the stuff they had going on was so good. Each character felt unique. I don't really need to explain it, I know most of you have read this and understand what I mean. 5/5.

The Second Apocalypse
Okay okay, I know goons hate this series and for good reason. It's creepy as gently caress with sexual violence, but I'm mentioning because the other stuff is good. He really built up a hosed up and interesting world that made me keep reading this hosed up poo poo. I still actually have the last book to finish, but legit had to take a break because these books are so hosed up it was affecting my anxiety, first time that's happened from books/shows/whatever. That's not really why I liked them, but because of said hosed up poo poo, there was always something interesting going on that I just had to see what happened. The prose was difficult at times though, I had no idea what the hell happened in that part with the Nonman Mansion. I'll rate it 4/5 if we ignore the big problems with the sex poo poo. Also I'm glad I pirated these books. And don't read them unless you are cool with demon boners being described in detail.

The Tide Child
I think this is my gold standard for character driven fantasy, probably even better than Hobb. It was so good. The world was unique and interesting, I loved the arcs most of the characters went through. The Gullaime was a good example of interesting stuff I mention. The author did a good job writing to make it feel truly alien, while allowing for empathy. Most authors just would have wrote another character that happened to be a birdman. Hag's Tits I can't wait until I forget most of it to listen to it again.

The Tide Lords
This was a good example of a "hosed up" series that wasn't actually a hosed up experience to read. It's a book about powerful god like assholes and they were all written in a compelling manner. A lot of times in books, for instance The Thousand Names, when there is a bully, they are just there to serve as a bully. That one guy who picked up Winter, I believe it was Davis just straight up wanted to kill her, but it never really fleshed out why. But in Tide Lords, I was always eager to learn more, and the book wasn't greedy about exposition and explaining why the characters are the way they are.

I'll stop there, but some other of my favorites were the Kings of Paradise(Ash and Sand) series, Long Price Quartet(another excellent character driven series!), Dagger and the Coin. I also technically like Sanderson's stuff too, maybe not quite as much as some people though. He's basically just a good world builder. It's been a long time since I read through Wheel of Time(made it to book 6 or so). I remember it having some interesting stuff, but there's a lot of junk to get through. If a book is going to be long and drawn out, that's not always bad but needs to again, be interesting. I liked how there was always something going on in the first 3 books of The Second Apocalypse series. Like for instance while the Holy War was taking long to actually get underway, the little inclusion of The Vulgar Holy War was good. It made it feel like the world was alive with a lot of stuff going on. A hosed up world, if I forgot to mention how hosed up it is. Don't read it.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, but I have untreated ADHD and can not articulate my thoughts for poo poo but hopefully that gives people an idea of the stuff I like. Really, I just like when there are interesting things going on. I like good characters and seeing how they interact with the world and seeing how things affect other things. Multiple POVs are great. I also dislike action for the sake of action. If it's action because something developed and it's a consequence, then it's good. If that makes sense. I hate long battles when there's no point. I loved Abercrombies The Heroes even though the whole book is basically just one 2 or 3 day battle.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 22, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh yeah, I gave up on Poppy War and Baru Cormurant both as well. Baru is one of those books I really have a hard time explaining why I wasn't into it. It was just like, "okay, I guess things are happening whatever" It set her up as a genius interesting character but from what I recall, it was just a plain old character who both hosed up a lot and did some things good as well. Nothing particularly gripping in it.

I really liked Licanius, and I know that author has a new book, but I try not to read the first book in a series until more are out, so it's on my future list. I did read some of Black Company a long time ago. I want to say I didn't finish it, but not because I didn't like it, so I may have to revisit that if it has decent audiobooks. I'll also check out those other two suggestions. Wars of Light and Shadow is on my list as well, but it doesn't have audiobooks, so it'll just have to be when I have time to do normal reading.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Ccs posted:

For the person who liked The First Law looking for suggestions, I recommend KJ Parker’s The Engineer trilogy. Or if you’re in a rush, The Folding Knife.

Both are books I find myself thinking about again and again. But Engineer especially because of its length and how it lures you into its world of world changing events and subsequent crushing personal moments.

In a way I suppose some characters find a sort of hollow happiness, similar to in First Law.

Alright, this piques my interest. I like it when there are significant things going on for characters to react to, I also like getting wrapped up in the whole setting and learning about it. Basically the opposite of The Thousand Names where it was just half a book of normal drudgery, then they are pretty much just like "whoah magic. Alright then" and then nothing much really even happened with the magic or was explained in a way that it was fun to learn about. I'm sure it might in the next book, but just the way the world and characters interact has kind of branded it as boring for me. The way you describe Engineer Trilogy makes it seem like that won't be an issue!

Do you know if there is an audiobook/is it good? That's what I'm looking for. I go through about 5x the audiobooks at work as I do normal reading, so I'm always having to sniff out more stuff.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 23, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Picked up Baru after the nonstop gushing about it in this thread and had pretty much the same experience. I think my brain is just too damaged from a constant intake of trashy sci-fi to appreciate the subtitles of fantasy courtroom intrigue type books. After a while the scheming and characters just kinda turn into white noise like a soap opera playing in the background and I find it very difficult to care about anything that's happening. I think I can see why people like it, if that makes sense, but it was very much not my thing.

I generally like scheming and stuff. I guess I have to just enjoy the writing to begin with though. I decided to go with Fallon's Hythrun Chronicles though, I liked her other writing a lot!

TO that guy asking for character driven lower magic recs, check out The Bone Ships, the first of The Tide Child series. It's fairly low magic(it's there but it's not like there are mages running around) and I was a huge fan of the character arcs. One of those series that hurts emotionally once you are done because you can't spend any more time with them. I do remember it starting a little meh, it's bit of a unique world and needs time to settle, but it won't take long though. Meas is quite literally the most badass book character I think I've read in a long time too, and in a lot of ways, not just "beat everyone up" ways. But she does start the book by beating up the drunkie main character and taking command of his ship.

Audiobook highly encouraged.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 24, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just finished Shadow Games, one of the Black Company books.

While I'm enjoying the series as a whole so far, I was a bit miffed at the ending here. It did a good job of capturing my interest with the new area and new bad guys and all, but it turned out every single one of them was just the Taken? That really annoyed me to be honest especially with how they all seem to keep coming back from the dead. Also I was buying into that big mystery that the author kept hinting at in regards to the company's origins, that didn't pay off at all. Does it in the new couple of books or does it get dropped?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm nearing the last quarter of the last book of Liveship Traders. Pretty good series, although I honestly think Tide Child is the better character driven pirate-y fantasy series, as good as Hobb is.

Audiobooks are the only way I survive my high hour job, so I need to have something good on deck ready to go. I'd like a fantasy(not urban right now please, something lower tech). I'd prefer that it's got good characters that will make me feel emotions and concern and stuff like that. And I'd like it to take itself seriously, no characters making dumb quips in the middle of danger or whatever like a Marvel movie, that kind of stuff really gets on my nerves! Anything popular like ASOIAF and WoT, etc just assume I've already read. Thanks!

Some of my favorite series/authors:

Tidechild by RJ Barker
Robin Hobb
Abercrombie
Ash and Sand by Richard Nell
Tide Lords by Jennifer Fallon(I bounced off her older work)

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Oh, y'all are talking about Hamilton. His books are pretty fun to read, although there's some weird sex stuff in some of them. That last series he wrote, Salvation Sequence I think? was actually just plain good imo, especially the audiobook.

The Reality Dysfunction does have a really off the wall villain, I don't want to spoil but it's honestly kind of dumb. Otherwise it was alright. The series that starts with Pandora's Star is better, and as previously stated, Salvation was really good, but it's it's own separate world.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 29, 2024

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

tiniestacorn posted:

My friend have you read thread favorite The Traitor Baru Cormorant?

Also rec:
Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez
Sabriel by Garth Nix
The Tainted Cup by Robert Jackson Bennett
She Who Became the Sun by Shelley Parker-Chan

I actually bounced off Traitor for some reason, not sure why. I have read a decent bit of Lois McMaster Bujold's stuff. I also remember starting Fifth Season a while back on audio, and quitting, but I want to say it was because I got distracted, I don't remember not liking it(I do remember being a bit confused though!). I had actually thought about picking that one back up, or Twelve Kings In Sharakhai(another one I quit because I got distracted by something else). Out of those, and the others you and everyone else suggested, would you guys say is going to emotionally devastate me the most? Those are the good ones! Speaking of emotional devastation, I also really liked Long Price Quartet!

e: Oh yeah, the longer the book/series the better, once I get invested in a world and characters, I like to hang around in it for a while!

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 29, 2024

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Red Rising was really loving good imo. The first book started off a bit eh, because it feels a little YA-y and like a Hunger Games ripoff or something(although it did even that pretty good by the end), but the poo poo hits the fan and it opens up into more space opera type stuff after book 1 and it's so good. Lots of emotional devastation to be had in that series. Highly recommend the audiobook narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds!

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have yet to read any of his books, but I wonder if John Gwynne's books are as epic as those cover art. Because if so, I'm so in.

I read Faithful and the Fallen it was basically just barely good enough to finish the series imo. There were a few cool fighting moments and stuff though at least. I will probably check out that new series he has when the 3rd book releases though, because the concept seems interesting and the covers are gnarly like you said.