Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Eragon author Christopher Paolini announces first science-fiction novel

quote:

https://ew.com/books/2019/11/19/christopher-paolini-to-sleep-in-a-sea-of-stars-science-fiction-novel/
EW can now exclusively reveal details about that book. Paolini’s sci-fi debut will be titled To Sleep in a Sea of Stars and will be published by Tor Books on Sept. 15, 2020.

Here’s the initial plot description: “During a routine survey mission on an uncolonized planet, xenobiologist Kira Navárez finds an alien relic that thrusts her into the wonders and nightmares of first contact. Epic space battles for the fate of humanity take her to the farthest reaches of the galaxy and, in the process, transform not only her—but the entire course of history.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I was reading the blurb for William Gibson’s new book that’s coming out in a couple weeks’ time - it’s a follow-up to the Peripheral. That’s cool but the present day narrative takes place in an alternative timeline where Hillary Clinton won. Gibson has been exhibiting terminal centrism for sometime now on Twitter so I hope he doesn’t bring it into the book

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol apparently there’s a vague nuclear conflict looming in the Middle East in the book so talk about reality overtaking fiction

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Lmao, just got started on the new Gibson book and he spins the alternate history Clinton win as potentially being due to a “reduction in Russian manipulation of social media”

Terminal Succ

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Gibson’s still a good writer but his personal political views are OK Boomer level

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s crazy to me that Gibson is in his seventies

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol never follow authors you like on twitter

https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1178063798743244800?s=20

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

She’s a Warren supporter so I think it’s safe to say she has dumb political views

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kesper North posted:

Gibson usually seems like he's making fun of or outright critiquing liberal centrist boomerism to me.

Nah, like I said, don’t read his Twitter. It’s the worst of boomer succdem mindset

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any good virus/pandemic/apocalypse books people would recommend?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol when did they announce this?

Apple just dropped a trailer for a series based on Asimov's Foundation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Most writers are pretty good about responding to a nice email - I had an exchange with Alastair Reynolds a decade ago when he was writing the Revelation Space books

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol while rereading "the man in the high castle", I noticed that someone IRL has actually published a book called "the grasshopper lies heavy" pulling the same alternate world/war history trope (the reviews for it are pretty bad).

are there other examples of a third party actualizing a fictional piece of fiction?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

space marine todd posted:

I had an absolute blast with The Ministry For The Future (along with Gibson's The Peripheral and Agency) and I'd love more recommendations of...near-future speculative fiction? I liked Pattern Recognition, but couldn't get into Spook Country.

I have to respect KSR for not just writing about unilateral geoengineering but actual eco terrorist cells killing individuals most responsible for climate change

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

inhibitor phase was a decent return to the revelation space universe but made me notice (in a bad way) how often reynolds pulls the amnesiac narrative trick

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've been re-reading most of the Iain Banks (M and non-M) books and I was a bit surprised that they've dated somewhat poorly imo, at least relative to when I read them in the early naughts as a teenager.

It's more obvious in his non-M books where he often writes from the POV of a rich young toff "slumming" it and working out some childhood trauma, while making it in the business world just seems very cloying in this moment. And his writing of Asians/Asia comes off as very patronising in a skyscrapers mixed with coolies acting as a backdrop for his jetsetting characters.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

stephenson being a weirdo libertarian isn't surprising

i'm more puzzled by gibson being a centrist liberal (and twitter scold) who mentions hillary clinton winning being a key plot difference for the agency book

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the adrian tchaikovsky novella (?) elder race is a good standalone SF story

he's incredibly consistent and prolific in output over multiple, unrelated series

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

underground airlines and golden state didn't work for me - the starting premises should have made for drastically different worlds

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've been speeding through a bunch of adrian tchaikovsky over the past week - the expert system novellas (and a weird eldritch tales anthology)

i guess he really does have a thing for colonists fighting a hostile planet

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i read SFF translated in Japanese all the time (most recently Dune, the Witcher novels etc).
mostly for practice

murakami haruki (who is a noted translator of English literature as well as being a writer in his own right) wrote a series of essays about translation which i found fascinating. it's not just about the act of translating but deciding what books to translate

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the countries modelled after real world cultures is pretty iffy nowadays especially the portrayals of asians and middle easterners

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/PaulLev/status/1594043576471539712

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Benefit of an Amazon UK account from my time living in London

:sickos:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

finished children of memory - decent but probably the weakest of the trilogy
i think he was a bit stuck with the worldbuilding from the first two books which made it hard to do justice to the various factions and introduce a new one

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've started reading neal stephenson's termination shock and it's not as bad as i was expecting
that being said, he has multiple characters deliberately explain why they're not left or right-wing which seems peculiar

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's hard to treat the culture books as saying anything interesting politically when you've read the non-M books and see the same self-indulgent protags except they're living in 80-90s UK

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

just finished adrian tchaikovsky's city of last chances and was pleasantly surprised by his take on "fantasy". i've always seen him as a hard SF guy
the book reminded me of perdido street station in many ways

would anyone have books reccos on baroque urban fantasies in the vein of the two abovementioned books?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it was for posting a 4 out of 5 stars review on GoodRead so even odder

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's unfortunate 9/11 broke dan simmon's brain, Ilium/Olympos were bad

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

thankfully, tying 9/11 to a 1800s Artic expedition was beyond him

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah it's a great book and i haven't come across anything else that does the occult le carre mash as well

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

did my latest re-read of the iain m banks culture novels
i guess all books "smell" of the time and place they were written in and i'm seeing it more clearly with his book these days

the exoticisms of the culture setting (drug glanding, casual gender changes etc.) and the set pieces meant to shock (the cult eating poo poo) are pretty staid by modern standards.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I've always thought Vinge was incredibly prescient about networked surveillance and degraded information archives but those were already irl Internet issues at the time he wrote the Zone series

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

re-reading the gateway series by frederik pohl - still love the central idea of a asteroid full of ships which go to unknown preset destinations. the writing's pretty forward in some ways for the 1970s (pretty diverse set of characters - a japanese amputee, a prospector family from singapore etc.) and not in others (talk of calcutta, the female characters being props for the protagonist)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I enjoyed the short about the research mind upload being used as a general tool - seems like something that could happen

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

On the second book of the latest Ken MacLeod (Lightspeed) trilogy, I'd recommend the series to anyone who felt he kinda dropped off after the Fall Revolution books - interesting premise too

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Halfway through the latest Alastair Reynolds Prefect book, Machine Vendetta - I'm finding it a better read than the second.
I still think it's a missed opportunity for him not to paint a more vivid picture of the height of the Glitter Band/Stoner culture - his descriptions of the habitats that are the backdrop are quite muted

Man, also looked up the publication date of Revelation Space - 2000. I remember reading it in high school and thinking of this as being cutting edge hard science fiction

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 18, 2024

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah finished machine vendetta and lol at that ending (or lack thereof)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

one thing that alastair reynolds did better than most (hard) SF writers is convey the passage of time in non-FTL societies

e.g., belle epoque/post-melding plaque yellowstone ending with the inhibitors blowing up the system