Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mllaneza posted:

House of Open Wounds goes way harder and way deeper. I'd read that next if I were you; I'm not, but that's what I did.

house of open wounds is the first time i've gotten whiplash from a series. it's such a massive shift in tone, setting, vibes, etc, to the point where i wonder why they're in the same series. you could absolutely walk straight into house of open wounds without reading the previous book

that's not a bad thing, as such: i finished city of last chances but didn't like it too much. i liked house is open wounds way more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ringu0 posted:

Children of Memory (Children of Time Book 3) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZTW4J6V/

This trilogy surely went places.

definitely my least favourite of the 3

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i'm amazed that my library ebook platform has a copy of exordia and that i can read it within a reasonable amount of time

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Doktor Avalanche posted:

robert jackson bennett's new book (first in a series) is out

oh poo poo, nice. i should really get around to finishing the foundry trilogy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Math is religion

-- the ninefox gambit et al

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Looking for some more low stakes/cozy SFF for audiobook listening. I've found that style works better in case my attention wanders. Some stuff that worked well was Murderbot, Wayfarers, Goblin Emperor and the sequels, Legends and Lattes and the sequel.

Anyone have any suggestions?

i can't speak to the audiobook version, but i don't think you can get much cozier than becky chamber's a psalm for the wild-built and its sequel a prayer for the crown-shy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

General Battuta posted:

It takes the idea that aliens might be unimaginable and incomprehensible seriously, but instead of throwing up its hands and casting Lovecraft, it uses science to pick a spot in the phase space of possible alien cognitions and say "well, this is deeply nonhuman, what would it be like to meet?"

this is what all first-contact SF should aspire to. why would you want to read about humans meeting for the first time humans-but-with-cat-ears?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

You should read more CJ Cherryh.

i will not be peer pressured into reading cherryh because they're not available on my library ebook pattern

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Nothing we know of guarantees life that even requires carbon

sorry, have to put on my nerd hat here. guarantees? no. but there are very solid Chemistry Reasons (primarily carbon's ability to form stable bonds with itself and a shitload of other elements) to believe that life will be carbon-based

it's fun to speculate about life based on silicon or, idk, boron, or quartz, or magical star bullshit! but i reckon any life we find in this universe will be carbon-based

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Sure, absolutely, that was a bit of hyperbole to drive the point home. But even something relatively small in terms of a change like carbon based life that survives mostly in a band of 200-300*F temps rather than 0-100*F is still going to have wildly different ways of understanding and interacting with the world, and that's going to fundamentally alter the way that any intelligence comes together. Or anaerobic carbon-based life on a planet where oxygen is a trace element. Or whatever other parameter you want to alter. But even if everything was exactly the same in terms of environment somehow, we still represent a single type of life that all grew and branched off from the same starting point. We, in fact, remain basically really hosed up fish in a lot of really major ways.

i do recognise that "give me all the gory details of the hosed up chemistry and chemical biology you've invented for your aliens" is a pretty small niche, but it would absolutely tickle my fancy

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

VostokProgram posted:

Something I've been thinking about lately: if you believe in physicalism, (you don't think there's souls or gods or other supernatural entities), and you believe in mathematics & CS (you think the big proofs are probably sound and the ZF axioms or basic logic or whatever the gently caress all seem reasonable to you), and you generally believe in physics, and you hate run on sentences, then you must believe that the human brain is equivalent to a DFA. It's got a finite number of neurons and there's a finite number of arrangements those neurons can take and the transition between those is all governed by physical laws.

and, furthermore, that free will doesn't exist

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Because people would have to face up to that their bad decisions and their consequences is on them.

except no one has ever made a decision

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

voiceless anal fricative posted:

anyone want to share their reckons on this series?

I liked Babel a lot, mostly because the politics of it interested me, but I found the characters bland and the narrative poorly paced.

i read the first book, and felt there was no reason to continue beyond that, both from a plot perspective and from a personal perspective (which is rare, since i'll read any old sequel if the first book even halfway interests me)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

zoux posted:

Film studios always chase trends, so what unfilmable scif/fantasy epics would you like to see Hollywood drop $250m on? Gene Wolfe estate's phone is blowing up.

blindsight, but the script is written by joss whedon

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Selachian posted:

Hell, I would have said the Foundation trilogy was unfilmable given how much of Asimov's work is just people standing around talking.

My Dinner With Hari i have never read this book nor seen this movie

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

finished exordia

someone described the broken earth series in a way that stuck in my mind: "A really great series I will never ever reread". swap 'series' for 'book' and that describes exordia for me. by the end i was begging it to give the humans a win! any win! i wasn't expecting it to be so grim. i'm almost surprised that the author left any humans left

great book, couldn't put it down. definitely has stuck with me. voted 5 stars on goodreads

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pradmer posted:

A Deadly Education (Scholomance #1) by Naomi Novik - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083RZC8KQ/

strong recommend. sure, the premise is "a magical school for magical kids", but don't let that deter you

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah. Scholomance is "what if the stakes are real, and what if you have to let somebody else die in order to survive?"

Genuine moral complexity, and you can see the protagonist growing in character as the plot moves on.

E: the protagonist goes from this system is monstrous, and I am going to survive to this system is monstrous, and I am going to burn it the gently caress down.. I like that a lot.

and of course, the main theme of the third book: commuting loving sucks

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

pradmer posted:

The Spear Cuts Through Water by Simon Jimenez - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MPV7Z6Q/

i bounced off this. got about 2/3rds through, realised i actively disliked it, and returned it. couldn't tell you why though, but it's probably because my brain is small and unsophisticated and i only consume slop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

FPyat posted:

From December 23 to July 24, he's putting out four books in eight months. The others are House of Open Wounds, Alien Clay, and Saturation Point.

the brandon sanderson of (mostly) sciencey fiction