Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just started the Culture series. I'm about a quarter of the way into Consider Phlebas and so far, so good.

How does the rest of the saga compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
That's good to know. I've needed a new space opera saga for a while now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheAardvark posted:

If nothing else I loved the shark substory. I'm a huge sucker for books with multiple semi-connected stories, though. I loved the first 2 Hyperion books.

I'm in the minority here because I liked the Endymion books, too.

I will reread the whole series every few years.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I recall in the 80s there being a surge in fantasy novels possibly due to D&D.

One thing I remember was seeing how many apostrophes the author could put in their characters' names.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You wouldn't be able to escape accusations of ripping off a Justin Timberlake movie.

See also this from 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRurZ7TlACc

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
There's been plenty of aliens-visiting-the-earth stories like this:

1. Aliens visit and they're friendly. We exchange knowledge/technology and everybody's the better for it
2. Same as #1 but they have an ulterior motive and end up enslaving and/or eating us and taking all our stuff
3. Like #2 but they aren't friendly at all and get right to the enslaving/eating step.

I'm looking for examples of this:

4. Same as #2, but we gently caress them over through a misunderstanding or paranoia or we just want their stuff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pinball Jizzard posted:

Hamilton’s recent series (Salvation Sequence) has a healthy dose of #4. I can’t go into too much detail as it doesn’t really expand until the 4th book is released. I also can’t recommend it because it’s easily his weakest work.

*edit* but if it’s your bang, it might be worth a read.

I'm actually on book three right now. It started out as #2, though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I just finished Hamilton's Salvation series.

So, it's just going to end like that?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I'm reading the latest Bobiverse novel. Anyone else?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I recently finished MR Forbes The Forgotten trilogy. It was one of Amazon's 99 cent deals, so I figured, why not?

It's a generation ship saga with an interesting twist. Lots of generic sci-fi characters and tropes, but I give it credit for the actual twist. The ship never left Earth.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Groke posted:

Yeah, it's a fairly obvious twist, must have been invented a number of times.

It was the first time I've seen it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

a foolish pianist posted:

Yeah, it’s also got the Saudi submarines with black hole bombs that are supposed to destroy the whole planet. 9/11 completely took over Simmons’ brain.

I've been rereading the Hyperion Cantos again. Now it seems Bradley Cooper wants to make the first book into a stand-alone movie. I don't see this going well (think The Dark Tower).

Anyway, if they were to ever make the entire series into a TV series, I have to wonder what the Catholic church would think of being the Big Bad in the Endymion part? Makes me wonder what the church did to Simmons.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

freebooter posted:

Oh I haven't read it in like 10+ years so I may be misremembering stuff about it, but the book as a whole is stuffed to the gills with Space Catholics and I definitely remember her being some kind of prophesied messiah. (I didn't mean to imply that Catholics love getting tortured and killed!)

Plenty of her followers thought she was, but she continued to reject the title. The Space Pope wanted her dead because she would bring an end to the church's ability to control the people via the cruciform if they drank her blood.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Selachian posted:

The first few Stainless Steel Rat books are fun as long as you have a tolerance for cocky rear end in a top hat heroes. But like so many other series, it falls off a cliff as the author tries to stretch things further and further. I wouldn't go more than three or four books deep.

It does get a bit same-y as it goes along.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just started Robert Jackson Bennett's Founders trilogy - Foundryside. Even though I'm not much on fantasy, I really liked his Divine Cities trilogy.

So far so good on this one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Isaac Asimov talks about "robutts".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9b4tg640ys

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Opopanax posted:

Are those Last Policeman books any good? Premise is interesting but I'm hesitant to jump into a trilogy

I enjoyed them quite a bit, but like Dack said, they're depressing considering doomsday is right around the corner.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

rollick posted:

Dan Simmons seems to have taken his website down in the last couple years, which is kind of a shame. Maybe a time traveler from the future warned him about his posting legacy.

I've only read the Hyperion Cantos by him. I seem to have made a good choice by stopping there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

NoneMoreNegative posted:

What will it be today Mr. Koontz

/holds up phone

Say no more fam.

With a little Moe thrown in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Genuine question. Did Alan Dean Foster write anything besides tie-ins?

Sentenced to Prism was pretty good. The ending was a bit rushed but otherwise had some interesting aliens.